Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Is it possible to find an Android tablet with a 12" or larger screen?
Notably, I don't need a keyboard or a "laptop lite" experience, or high performance. I would use it for reading and for reading sheet music. I've seen musicians make great use of the big iPad Pro, but the thing costs a fortune and all it needs to do is show black dots on white paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

isndl posted:

I think at that point you're going to be stuck with searching for 2-in-1 laptops in your price range unless there's some offbrand stuff on the Chinese marketplaces available. You might not need the keyboard on the 2-in-1 but it can work as a kickstand if you flip it into tent mode, and some models have the keyboard as detachable.

Yeah, that's been my conclusion as well. Thanks for confirming it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Well, the reason I ask about tablets is that it must:

1) Be light and thin enough to keep on a music stand
2) Have a touchscreen
3) Be able to run some software for sheet music. I've found good examples on Android, IOS and Windows but I don't know what a Chromebook can run.

And the crux is 4) be at least 12" diagonal...

Edit: Newegg has a cheap Lenovo Chromebook that I would use, except it's only 11.6" and it's not listed as being able to run Android apps on https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 29, 2019

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
That might not be the worst idea.
Not many used ones available locally, but they're about the same price as a new cheap Lenovo Flex 14". The Lenovo has a terrible screen compared to the Surface.

Edit:Ebay cheaper of course.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F293162167010

He has a hundred of them? :-O

Gonna try my use case on a friend's Surface Pro first, see how I like it. Thanks for the tip!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 30, 2019

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Seriously, the large iPad pro is so ridiculously overkill for that use case, and so pricey. Not everyone has that kind of money, I gather a student in particular might not.

I am looking for something like that, too, and the best match I've found is maybe a used Surface Pro 3. Didn't pull the trigger on one though, because none are available locally.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Thanks for doing the math, dude, I didn't feel up to it with the Imperial conversion and everything.

Not every reading use case is the same, though. In my case, I want to read sheet music, where vertical scrolling is as much a pain as horizontal. I can't spare a hand to scroll while playing, but tapping the screen once to turn a page is fine.

I know some musicians who use the iPad Pro and music looks terrific on them so clearly those are "big enough". Weight is also fine to put on a music stand. It's just way more than I can justify spending. I can probably print my music on paper for 150 years, throwing it all in the bin after each gig, and spend less.

A friend opted for a huge 13" Sony e-ink reader, and it looks glorious and has a pen for scribbling on it.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/digital-paper-notepads/dpt-series
But it has several drawbacks, the chief one being that it can *only* display PDFs. As in, it does not run an OS you can break out to and run a sheet music app, there is only the PDF reader. If you have a set list of 25 songs that you want to page through quickly, you need to sit down on your PC and merge 25 PDF files into a big file and upload it to the reader. Then, if your set changes unexpectedly, you're hosed. (Also costs more than a laptop and is not available in Europe so no warranty for private imports.)

The Surface 3 is bordering on too heavy, and now I know it's also not really all that large. Surface 4 same size.

There are a lot of Windows 10 tabletoids that would probably work, but I'd probably have to spring for a new one and many are the same price as the iPad Pro. And many don't have note-taking pens.

Ideally I would still like an Android tablet at 13", with a pen, of a brand that I have heard of and warranty. Alternatively an E-ink reader that isn't crippled like the Sony. But I don't think either of those exists?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So I found this e-ink reader that at least runs Android.

https://onyxboox.com/boox_max3

The Max 3 runs Android 9, the older Max 2 runs Android 6. The prices are pretty wild but not quite where the large iPad Pro is. I guess if a used 2 comes up, I'll snag it. Looks perfect for my use case.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
What does it say about our society when the words "ingest" or "consume" can be used about video content without irony.

Sorry (not sorry) for going off-topic.

I still didn't get that e-ink reader for sheet music. I have my eyes on getting a used ONYX BOOX MAX 2 at some point but they're bloody expensive even on eBay.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Statutory Ape posted:

By definition and geography it was always going to be (and I guess my point was, that it always has been lol)

On topic , what was wrong with the idea of eInk for sheet music ? Seemed smart to me

Nothing wrong, I still want to do it, the problem is I need 12" or bigger, in order to be readable on a music stand, and the only e-ink options on the market are almost as pricy as the big iPad Pro.
Also, the Sony one is great except it can ONLY read PDFs. Runs Android but can't run apps. Can't load a sequence of PDFs and quickly page into the next song. It requires you to merge your whole set into one long PDF (presumably on a PC/mac), and upload it using a cable. A friend of mine does this and the only reason it's acceptable is because he has a gig about every 6 months.

Hence I'm looking at the only (?) option that is 13" and runs a real unlimited Android, which is the Onyx Boox Max series. But I guess they will remain a pricy niche product.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Edit: Nvm, I'm an idiot who should google before posting.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Khizan posted:

I'm looking for a tablet for my mother for general purpose internet stuff. Email, shopping, online banking, news, etc. Her arthritis is making it troublesome to use a mouse and she wants to move to a touch screen device for all that stuff. She'd like a 12-13 inch screen but is otherwise largely unconcerned with features. Budget is anywhere under $1000. Personally, I'd like to avoid an iPad. Nobody in the family has any devices in the Apple ecosystem and I'd like to avoid buying into it.

I was figuring on getting her a Surface Pro because she's already used to Windows, but this isn't a market I'm particularly knowledgeable about and I'm wondering if there's any better choices out there.

Man, after following this thread for a couple years, I'd be really hard pressed for reasons to not buy an iPad if you have that kind of budget. Android tablets are just generally not very good anymore. Of course, you could save some bucks that way but she'd have a less fun experience.

Can't speak to Windows tablets, but my impression is that they'll be at least as pricey as iPads and I struggle to see myself enjoying Windows with a touch screen. I know others do, though.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I would have loved for my new company-issued iPhone to have a USB-C connector, just so I could continue to use the cables from my old Android phone. But no, they persist with the Lightning connector. Imagine if they went with USB-C, the money they would lose on headphone sales (and related licensing for Lightning connected headphones)!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

pieuvre armement posted:

What's a decent windows tablet, cheap as possible, it will mostly be used for mame

Im looking at these because they are cheaper than a surface go and they have a full usb port

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-0094-00007

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834296548

I don't know why you would like to run Mame (the emulator, right?) on Windows in particular when Chromebooks can run Retroarch, but those two you found are at least bargain-bin cheap. Myself, I wouldn't go with the "ships from China" one when there is a Dell available.

FWIW, I think both of them are too low-spec to be useful for general computing in case you get tired of emulators (lol who am I kidding, why would you)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
"Recommend Me a Tablet: iPad or Kindle Fire are the only things now"

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

DreadLlama posted:

What is a good android tablet for viewing in direct sunlight?

Some article I read suggests it's the galaxy 10.1 tablet. https://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_Brightness_ShootOut_1.htm#lux_40K. Is this accurate in your opinion?
Second, if "yes" to the first question, is this a Galaxy 10.1 ? https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Refurbished-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-A-10-1-32GB-Gold-Wi-Fi-SM-T510NZDAXAC/PRD45G4JZ5ZCT2U Or is it a Galaxy A which happens to measure 10.1 inches ? I don't know tablets.

Dude, is that an article from 2012?

quote:

Copyright © 1990-2012 by DisplayMate Technologies Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Incidentally, I think the Galaxy Tab A might have been released around that time, so it might indeed be the same product... Steer clear. No matter what price point you find it at, it will not be a useful tablet.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I finally pulled the trigger on a Onyx Boox Max Lumi. Got a deal on a store return of this baby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_WjTgmwMRk

I will NOT use it for note taking or for annotating PDFs - it will exclusively run "MobileSheetsPro for E-Ink Android Devices". I will use it for the music in all my bands and it will be glorious.

Now, if only there were gigs to rehearse for. Well, once people start booking bands again, I'll be ready!

(Yes, I've very seriously weighed this over the iPad Pro 12". I'm not a huge fan of the dominant sheet music app (Forscore), and most of all, I don't want something that will attract my attention and allow me to spend even more time on the couch. Inability to play video or doomscroll on facebook is a feature. OK, it might make me sit down with an ebook or two, but that's an improvement over my current internet habits. The third contender was "any chromebook with a stylus" but it turned out if you want a 13" size lightweight thing, it costs as much and is still four times the weight as the Boox.)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 14, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
It finally got here and I've been busy setting it up. I can strongly recommend getting the e-ink version of the app, they really improved the experience for monochrome screens. Haven't tried it in rehearsal yet but I'm sure taking notes with a stylus will be better than trying to draw crescendo marks with my fat fingers on a 10" tablet like I used to.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
To summarize, I’m very satisfied with the product for my use case. I know that’s pretty niche and I’m not going to issue a blanket recommendation for general computing due to the e-ink screen.

Nonetheless, IMO the Onyx Boox Max Lumo is the perfect platform on which to run sheet music library software like MobileSheetsPro.

I think I could have been equally happy with an LCD based product but there really doesn’t exist one this size at a reasonable price point.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

double nine posted:

thinking of getting a tablet for couch surfing, playing music through bluetooth speakers and streaming vods, maybe some light gaming.

Unfortunately I know absolutely gently caress-all about tablets. what would be a decent recommendation ?

Just get an iPad.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Orvin posted:

Or am I just best served by biting the bullet and getting the lowest model currently produced iPad, and the beefiest case I can. Quick look at apple seems to be $329 for an “iPad” model. That’s a bit more than I really want to spend now, but if the iPad has a chance of lasting longer, I might consider it. I recognize that it will last longer as a tech gadget, I am just concerned about my kids breaking it before I got equivalent use/$ out of it.

I just wanna say there are some extremely ruggedized cases specifically for toddlers, where there's so much rubber surrounding it I doubt they could destroy it if they tried. Of course YMMV but you could always opt to get super-extra-applecare insurance, might cover toddler damage I guess?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

RandolphCarter posted:

What’s a good android tablet that’s around the price of a standard iPad? I’m a sicko who’s always had an android phone and an iPad(they were all hand me downs), and I am thinking of just switching to one os but haven’t decided which way to go.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Recommend Me a Tablet - JUST GET AN IPAD

New thread title please?

But seriously, if you want a good tablet for grownups to do real things on, the Android market is slim pickings these days.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
For my sheet music project, I would have gotten the S8 Ultra if it weren't for the price. Might as well get the big iPad Pro at that price point.

I ended up with the (still expensive, but way less so) Onyx Boox Max Lumi and I'm loving the e-ink experience.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

pun pundit posted:

Last time I bought a Samsung mobile device I got bombarded with ad notifications for other Samsung products and etc. I've never bought an Apple product. How are the various tablet manufacturers when it comes to giving you unwanted notifications?

I don't have an iPad but my work iPhone has been a wonder of non-spamminess. There's basically no bloatware on it either. Sure, I might not want to use 60-70% of the bundled apps, but for every one of them I can see there's a use case, for some people. That's not been my experience with the apps bundled on, for instance, Sony phones I've owned.

I think the worst was the Sony app that couldn't be uninstalled, that would give you some sort of "product news" notifications (that also couldn't be disabled). I want to say it was called "Xperia Lounge" or something? Absolutely dreadful.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I use a simple 13.3” neoprene cover with a zipper, made for laptops, for my Boox Max Lumi. I got it at some big box store. It does the same job as the felt cover above. But that’s a tablet, not a laptop! Well, it’s the tablet thread after all.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Dexo posted:

Hey looking for a Android tablet

Needs to be able to easily handle using Citrix to remote desktop into a desktop computer. And use as a psudo computer with a keyboard and mouse on for work tasks if I'm away from home

Will also want it to be able to use web browser for stuff like Roll20 and FoundryVTT web applications.

Would prefer for it to be easily used as a handheld tablet for reading PDFs and comics/manga.

Get a chromebook?

(New thread title?)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
There are the Onyx Boox series of products which I think are fairly competitive alternatives to ReMarkable. I’m rocking their Max Lumi (1) for sheet music but don’t use it for general note taking or reading.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 30, 2022

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

butt dickus posted:

can you tell me more about this? i have just been using my physical books. is there an easy way for me to get my lessons into it? how quickly does it flip between pages?

Page turning is not instant but “fast enough”. You can set it up with various “speed modes” and easily switch between them. The compromise is faster modes leave some ghosting of the previous page.

Yes, getting any file into it should be easy. It’s Android so it can show a PDF or browse the files in the Dropbox or Drive app or whatever is more convenient.

Since I intended this for sheet music only, I bought a music library app called MobileSheets Pro. They carry a special edition of the app for e-ink devices which even includes the “instant pen action” feature that Boox has.*

I can’t recommend MobileSheets enough. It has everything but the kitchen sink. The dominant music library on iOS is ForScore, and I think they’re very much on par with each other. ForScore has a better UX flow but lacks a couple of features related to PDF file containing many parts.

I love how lightweight it is, compared to any Chromebook or the 13” iPad.

Also love that it’s a lot cheaper than the iPad.

Works brilliantly outdoors in sunlight.

* If I understand correctly, apps that don’t support that API, ie apps that are made for regular lcd screens, tend to have noticeable delay on e-ink when drawing on them with a pen. No such issue in the Boox note-taking apps or MobileSheets.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Got the Kindle 10, super crystal clear screen.

Just so the thread knows, I also got the Kindle 8 kids edition. IT DOESN'T LET YOU UPLOAD ANY OF YOUR OWN CONTENT, videos, documents, etc.
worthless, returning it.

Maybe it depends on how old your kids are, and how responsible you think they are, but I can see a case for not letting minors upload content to the Internet. But yeah, I can see how that's a pretty intrusive restriction if you wanted them to be able to make Tiktoks or whatever.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Just get an iPad.

New thread title?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ExecuDork posted:

I started a new half-time job here at the university, it's an admin role in that I mostly try to do what my boss doesn't have time to do. Emails, getting websites set up, editing the sites, keeping this Project going. Today we had a brainstorming session (that lasted more than 2 hours) and my boss told me there's room in the budget for "IT stuff" and I could get a tablet that would let me scribble my half-baked notes, perhaps more easily than my current paper-and-pen notebook stream-of-consciousness method.

The available budget for this seems to be rather generous, I could probably get away with requesting something quite nice.

Is the answer simply "iPad" or are there other options for something with a stylus and the ability to take my scribblings and turn them into nicely formatted text that can then be exported as a word document or whatever?

I don't feel like I understand your use case so bare with me.

If you want the output to be documents, ie text for others to read, get a laptop/notebook computer. Typing is like 140% faster than handwriting, and you won't have any problems with OCR.

If you just want notes on "paper", like being able to digitally look at your own handwriting and drawings, there are great options like the iPad with a stylus, and you can use the Notes app or whatever. Also, e-ink devices like the Onyx Boox or ReMarkable work great for this purpose. I really prefer e-ink, myself, since it feels more like paper.

What I don't get is why you would want to first make handwriting and then convert it - it seems to be to just take more time? Do you want to mix diagrams/art with text?

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't know what app to use for that. Perhaps someone else will know.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
A wildcard if you mostly want to do black-and-white art is to look at e-ink tablets like the ReMarkable or Onyx Boox.

https://onyxboox.com/

I doubt that's what you're after, of course, but the "paper feel" is pretty good on those.

I have no idea if there's any good art software for Android (which the Boox series runs).

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Just get him an iPad.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

History Comes Inside! posted:

In either case a kindle/e-reader with e-ink display isn’t a great idea for PDFs because of the way the pages are formatted.

Seconded. Reading PDF documents on a small screen will necessitate lots of zooming and scrolling, which e-ink screens are notably terrible at. Get a cheap large LCD tablet for your PDFs.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
A friend of mine wanted basically the same for her kids (6 and 8). They ended up getting second-hand digital cameras for next to nothing. The screens are tiny and crappy though. They really would probably have a nicer time using small-ish tablets, but on the other hand they didn't spend anything and don't care if they get smashed because the pictures are on the SD card.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Recommend me a tablet: iPad it is then.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Perestroika posted:

I have a somewhat specific use case and I'm wondering if a tablet could cover it. Basically I'm currently using an old windows laptop stream media to my living room TV via Wifi. Crucially, at the same time I'm often also using it to browse and chat and similar low-impact stuff. Since the laptop is kinda cumbersome in size and weight as well as getting up there in age it'd be nice to be able to replace it with something more lightweight.

Can tablets effectively do this kind of multitasking these days? Any particularly better at it than others? I'm more used to/have a slight preference towards windows or android, but I'm not too opposed to an Ipad either. Ideally it should be somewhere in the <$500 range. Is that at all realistic?

So your TV is a “smart TV”, I presume? One that connects to WiFi and your PC has been able to somehow mirror its screen onto it?
[Edit: Oh maybe you mean you’ve been connecting the laptop to the TV directly using HDMI?]

What I’d usually recommend is for people to use an Android unit with a Chromecast dongle, but newer TV units often have chromecast receiver capabilities built-in. You can try it with your phone before investing in the tablet.

Any tablet will be able to cast streaming video into a chromecast while doing something else. I’ve done this with a very very slow tablet without hitches in the video stream. It works because the Chromecast is not taking the video from the tablet. It streams it straight from the internet server instead. All the tablet does is to provide the URL to stream from, and act as a remote control.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Perestroika posted:

Ah yeah I should have specified, it is some Samsung smart TV that's discoverable via wifi, and connecting to it via windows basically lets me treat it as a secondary screen. I'm mostly using it that way because the TV's native interface for youtube and its generic browser are terrible.

Chromecast sounds like it might just be exactly what I need, I'll look into that. Thanks!

Does it not work with your phone already? I would guess a smart tv these days would be compatible with either android “casting” or Apple airplay.