Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Hi All,

My wife is looking for a cheap tablet. Her use case is primarily video chats on the couch with her family. They use Skype/Zoom normally. Apart from that just some basic 2nd screen webbrowsing and non-intensive, candy-crush style games. We're both very comfortable buying used, and we're looking for something cheap, but new is of course fine too. She's looking for something bigger than 7".

We both use Pixels for phones and are pretty integrated into the Google ecosystem, so an Android tablet makes sense to me, but from what little I know Android tablets kinda suck. She'd be fine with one if there is a decent one, or a Chrome OS style tablet if that's a thing, but she would have no real use for a 2-1 style Chromebook. Are the Fire tablets still decent? What generation should we look for?

She isn't opposed to getting an iPad, but we won't be using it nearly often enough to justify even the $329 that an entry level new one costs. What generation of iPads still get updated/can run new apps?

We don't have a firm budget, but this is as much an experiment of if we'll actually use this thing as anything, so anything more than say, $200 would have to be pretty great, and the number that comes immediately to mind is $100 (again, used). That said, if we're just going to get complete garbage that will not run modern apps or fall apart for that price, don't be afraid to say that.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Reading the last few pages, it seems like the Fire HD 10 (I assume there's a Skype and Zoom app from the Amazon app store?) or a used iPad are probably our best choices. What model of iPad makes sense/is still supported?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Non-android user here: we just had a baby, and while digging up some old stuff, I can across a Samsung pro tab sm-520 that my wife was gifted for her work ages ago. Running all the updates, it looks like it tops out at kitkat 4.4. It sure would be nice to not have to buy an iPad to entertain the baby, but is this worth keeping around?

That's a very old tablet and a very old version of android. Most apps support old versions of Android since the update situation isn't great, but 5.0 updated a ton of important APIs, so many apps don't support anything before that. I just checked Netflix, and it is 5.0 required, for example. It looks like Google Play Services supports 4.1 and up, so you might not be completely out of luck, but you're going to find a lot of apps don't work on that. I also wouldn't put any important information on it, as there are tons of security issues with operating system versions that old (any operating system). That said, to entertain a baby, you might be ok. The YouTube app will work on it (4.4 required).

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 1, 2021