Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My fiance bought a Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 last night online at a discount price of 249 euros. But then I started googling around and I read almost only negative comments and reviews of the tablet so we decided to cancel the order.

After some googling the Galaxy Note 8.0 is looking to be a much sharper contender, a little smaller & more expensive but everyone seems to think it's more value for money. Are there any other tablets in this price range that anyone would recommend over the Galaxy Note 8.0?

How's the iPad mini 7.9? There's a 64gb version for about the same price as the Note 8.0 (289 euros).

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's the old one. The retina is too expensive for our budget.

So in that price range it looks like the Galaxy Note 8.0 is the only realistic tablet so far. I see a lot of nexus mentioned in this thread. There's a Google Nexus 7 for 269 euros.

e: The more I read, the more the Nexus 7 (2013) looks like the pad to get, found it for 249 now too.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 3, 2014

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

iPads are off the table due to price but we're not married to any particular system, be it iOS, Android or Windows. Just what's the best pad for the money, and 300 euros is the upper range.

It's my fiance who is buying the pad and she would like a 10" screen tablet I believe, not sure if there's a decent alternative in the price range I've mentioned.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Apparently my fiance thought gently caress the budget, and got an iPad Air 16gb. Too bad they gave her the wrong package in the store and she got a black one when she wanted the white model.

TBH they did all feel much more qualitative with regards to build quality than any of the samsung offerings, even the models that where more expensive didn't compare. There was a 2014 10.1 Note that looked better but it had a leather backside, that just doesn't compare to metal.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's not even leather, it's the same slimy Samsung plastic molded to look like leather.

I thought it wasn't real but the seller said it was real leather, I didn't give it much more thought than that since the iPad had already won at the time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've started to think about a tablet for myself now that my fiance is showing hers in my face and what I wanna know, is there a tablet that can run lightroom and run it without sucking? Or are there lightroom-esque apps?

What I'd like to be able to do is pop my cameras SD card into the tablet and process the RAW files right there on site, and then I'd like to upload directly to flickr. Not sure if this is doable with tablets just yet but it'd be nice. I guess they are more focused on using whatever build in camera they come with.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

1st AD posted:

If you want to run Lightroom you're pretty much stuck with a Windows 8 tablet/touch laptop. I think Adobe is working on a Lightroom port, and there are a few iOS and Android apps that can edit raws, but none of them are going to have the same functionality as Lightroom.

What's your budget?

Pretty non-existent right now, can't say what it will be either, hopefully towards summer I will have more of an idea what kinda economy I got left over after we finish the house building and landscaping and stuff. Kinda need a new desktop as well.

I did see something about lightroom for ipad which sounds promising, as long as I can buy it and no bullshit subscription. I do like the ipads so itd be nice to be able to use them, if there's some kinda cable or similar I could hook up to my camera to transfer photos.

Edit: I also liked the surface pro 2, but it was pretty expensive, looks like it could replace my old netbook entirely though (Acer Aspire 1410 from 2010)

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Found out about a cool thing, namely you can put an eye-fi card in your digital camera, I got a nikon D7000 so it has two slots, that way I can hook it up to any tablet, SD card or no SD card slot. Can even put jpgs on the eye-fi card and RAW on the other. Excellent, maybe there is an iPad for me in the future, question is mini or air. I liked the mini retina I held in a store, think it could be good for use on the go, probably with a suitable case like an otterbox.