Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
As far as note taking goes, do most tablets have the option to turn off touch response when the stylus is being used? Does that require a specific type of stylus in order to work? It's pretty obnoxious trying to take notes while your hand hovers over the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Hold on, you're buying this tablet for your dog?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You can also just talk to their customer support and claim that you think the ads are slowing down the tablet and they'll remotely disable them. Worked on my kindle at least when I got annoyed at them pushing romance novels at me. You'd think with all of my purchase history they'd at least show me ads for things I might be interested in...

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've got a 7th gen Fire HD 8 and it's just recently gotten really slow. I pretty much only use it for reading when I'm at work and it takes around a minute for it to even load my library, then another 30s or so to bring up whichever book I'm reading. Is the 8th gen a significant improvement?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I'm a fan of the new HD10, except for the kind of goofy shape of it. I don't tend to hold it much while using it though (mostly watching Netflix or using it as a security camera monitor at work) so it hasn't been an issue. Installing Play Store on it took all of like 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Not sure about the Amazon App store for Skype/Zoom but it's trivial to get the Play Store on the HD10. We used our HD10 to do zoom calls with my family over the holidays and it worked great.