Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009

InEscape posted:

OK, I bought a refurbished Vivotab Smart MC400 in September and really, really loved it, but it crashed and burned big time and the screen is totally fried. I would like another tablet, because that one was awesome.

I want:

Windows 8 (unless someone can really sell me -- I want office, that's most of what I use it for)
Keyboard
Good Battery Life

Can be one of those foldy fake tablets, that's fine, I don't care, but I need it to be less than ~$500. I know, but I wasn't expecting to have to buy two in a year. :(

It looks like the ASUS Transformer T100 is a great choice but it seems to be out of stock everywhere and I'm a little gunshy about buying from the Amazon affiliates because that's where I got this crashy, broken Vivotab. There are two Yogas -- the 11S is honestly too pricey but there's a cheaper one, is it garbage?

Lenovo has the Miix 2 10, which has a 1080p screen and keyboard dock for exactly $499.99. Seems to be out of stock at the moment on their website, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009

Bruc posted:

Hey dudes, I've been thinking of getting some kind of tablet lately but I don't really know anything about them.

I was hoping someone could recommend one that is new-ish (I don't really care about it being high end at all but I don't want one that can't run current stuff if that is even a thing on tablets) and would work well just for browsing the internet while on the couch and playing the occasional time waster game. It doesn't have to be Mega Cheap but I definitely would prefer something that is on the cheaper end while still being solid and having a decent sized screen.

On the Windows 8 side you can grab a Dell Venue Pro 8 for $229.99 from the Microsoft Store or their website. Great bang for your buck and versatility. In Android world there's the Nexus 7 which starts at $229.99, but can often be found on sale.

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

So are any of the $99 Windows 8.1 tablets worth getting?

I just started Christmas shopping and they jumped out at me. Are any of them even dual-core?

They're perfect for social media, internet browsing, email, music and watching video. Throw your media on a microSD card and you're golden.