Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There's whispers of a release Nov 22 (tomorrow), and a mistakenly revealed and then removed Google Play page with that date, but nothing confirmed.

Given how they released the Nexus 5, it wouldn't be impossible for them to release tomorrow. Although with the Nexus 5, I think a few tech sites had said a day or two before, "it will be coming out on [day], guaranteed," and I don't know if that's happened with the Nexus 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

I am a gross nerd.

I love DCS A10C and I found out about the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitshift.dcsvirtualcockpit App that would be perfect for me.
I am looking for the cheapest tablet that could run me this program in front of my ugly face when I am sperging over simulators.

I want it to be Capacitive Display and have somewhat decent resolution.
I do not think that the program I want demands too much, though. It requirements, among others, are 4.0 Android. I will hardly be using the tablet for anything else, but it is not like other uses hurt me.

My budget is 50 dollars, a little low, a little high of that.

I have been eyeying this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Is this what I want or do I want something else?

You linked a 7" tablet with 800x480 resolution. That app will look horrible on it, as will everything else. It won't be responsive and it will likely have lots of app incompatibility problems, though it's tough to know exactly how big a problem that will be until you waste $50 on it and find out.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

slidebite posted:

I didn't end up with a Galaxy Pro 10.1 after all.

For $100 more I ended up with 32GB of storage, and 3GB of ram and 2" of screen real estate in the way of a 12.2

God, I'm sure it's going to feel massive but the one I handled in the store felt really good. Getting it from costco online so if I absolutely hate it at least they have a good return policy.

With no idea what you want to do with it or if your budget can stretch just a little more, it you're going for something like that you may want to look into the new Surface Pro 3.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Refurbished LG gpad 8.3 on woot for $200. Today only, so order while the garbage is hot.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is that one 4:3? It looks like it in the pictures.

It kinda does look like it, but nah, 1920x1200. Also apparently you can't flash the GPE ROM onto the LG version for some reason. If you could, it wouldn't be the worst buy, honestly. Just a Nexus 8.3 more or less, for $200.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ema Nymton posted:

Newegg is having a sale on a bunch of Lenovo items, 40% off.

So I'm thinking of getting this Lenovo S5000 7" Android 4.2 Tablet for $120. Does that sound like a dumb idea? The Amazon reviews for it are good.

There's no reason to get that when the 2013 Nexus 7 is ~$50 more, frequently on eBay or other places. Even the 2012 Nexus 7 would be better and likely cheaper, though the 2013 version is easily worth the money.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I find reading on a small tablet or my phone to be no less comfortable than reading on a Nook Glowlight. Given that I have books on several platforms (Kindle, Google Play, and Nook), a dedicated ereader was worse in that respect too. I still keep my Nook for beach days, but I spend virtually all of my reading time on my phone. I know others think an e-ink screen is way better than a tablet, though, so no one can tell you what your preference will be.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
You hosed up:

"The Nextbook 8 sports a 7.85-inch screen with a 1024x768 pixel resolution. Although larger, the 10.1-inch display of the Nextbook 10 only has a resoluton of 1024x600 pixels."

Although you linked an 8" version, you said you got the 10". I also couldn't even find consistent info, so I'm not even sure the 10" exists? Either way, spend $150-170 for a used/refurbished 2013 Nexus 7.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 12, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

So, I returned it and got my $100 back, go with the Nexus 7?

Also, what's the difference between the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 7 Tegra 3

E: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...02552706&sr=1-8 Is this a good buy?

Go for the 2013 model, without the Tegra 3, for all the reasons Doctor rear end in a top hat mentioned. If you for whatever reason can't go above the $100ish price, you can get a working but probably beat up Best Buy floor demo of the 2013 version from cowboom.com for $109, or if you're not in a rush you can check it every so often to see when they get better condition ones in. I'd really recommend paying the $150-170 for a used good condition one from Amazon or eBay or wherever, but it's an option at least.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

So, I returned it and got my $100 back, go with the Nexus 7?

Also, what's the difference between the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 7 Tegra 3

E: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...02552706&sr=1-8 Is this a good buy?

Hope you didn't buy anything yet, here you can get a new 16GB 2013 Nexus 7 for $150 from Staples, using coupon code 97275.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mistressminako posted:

I am looking for a tablet for my father. He has been a newspaperman all his life and has recently become interested in digital distribution of newspapers from around the world.

What I am looking for is an easy to use device that is good for newspapers and PDF but also some light internet use as well as email capabilities. My father does not use a smartphone but would like to be able to check his email with ease without booting up one of the desktops just to see if he has a new message.

I was considering a Kindle Fire but I am not sure how well those handle newspapers. Any suggestions?

Since a larger tablet would be better than a 7" or 8" one for larger content, why not an iPad Air? I'd caution against an Amazon tablet, as they are often more limited in their app selection and content than a general Android tablet and especially an iPad.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Galaxy Tabs (8, 10 or even 12")

Just to be clear, the Galaxy Tab line is the low end and are really bad. The new Galaxy Tab S (8.4" or 10.5") or Galaxy Tab Pro (8.4", 10.1", or 12.2") or Galaxy Note (10.1") or Galaxy Note Pro (12.2") are the higher end tablets from Samsung that are at all worth considering. Good luck picking one!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

10 Beers posted:

That's kind of my thought, as well. Especially since I don't know how often I'd use the S pen.

Also, quick question for all of you: Since the Tab S takes micro SD cards so you can bump the memory up to 128GB, is there any reason to buy the 32GB one over the 16?

Don't count on moving apps to the SD card. If you want to install a few high end games, you can quickly run out of space. The XCOM port is 3.6 GB, for example. That's about the only reason. So if you don't care about games, then no, don't worry about bumping up to 32 GB.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nelson posted:

Windows surface is a pretty good line as long as you do your research. The Pro series can run PC apps. The RT series can only run apps built for it specifically (the underlying hardware is not x86) but you still get things like office and Netflix. Everyone I know that owns a surface is happy with theirs (sample size 3).

The advantages of RT (battery life, cost) have been pretty much negated the past year or so. There isn't very much reason to get an Windows RT tablet anymore (not that there ever was a reason).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Medullah posted:

Meh.com has a Galaxy Tab 3 (refurbished) for $90 today. Pretty good deal for a year old tablet.

It really isn't. 1024x600 display and slow. 2013 Nexus 7 models have been going for $120-150 used/refurbished/new(?) and is a much much better deal. First review I checked said the 2012 Nexus 7 had noticeably better performance and display, too, if you really want something that cheap.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 2, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Apocadall posted:

I'm thinking about getting a tablet for textbooks and various technical pdf. I was thinking at least a 10 inch screen but unsure what resolutions I should be looking at so they look decent. Any recommendations from others that have used a tablet for textbooks?

High resolution, greater than 1920x1080. The iPad's aspect ratio is nicer than most Android tablets for reading.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Apocadall posted:

How bad does the Kindle HDX lock things down? I think I could be fine with 9 inch screen and the resolution is higher than the iPad.

The Amazon app store is pretty bad compared to Google Play store. You can sideload stuff, including Google apps, but about the only reason to worry about malware on Android is if you're doing something like Googling apks... which you'd be doing to sideload stuff. The software on the Kindle Fires is also pretty bad. There're rumors of a 9" Nexus tablet from HTC coming out eventually, but who knows if that will really happen or what the price will be.

I'd second Duckman2008's advice to XenJ for you: an iPad Air on sale now or once the new one is released, for ~$300-350, would be a good bet. Some of Samsung's recent tablets might also be ok, just be careful to buy one of the higher end lines, not something like the Tab 4. You probably won't save much if any compared to an iPad, though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

Is there any logical reason for the new Nexus tablet to be 4:3 instead of 16:9?

16:9 makes portrait basically impossible, but I assume you mean 16:10 like most other Android tablets. 4:3 is better for most things. The good news is if you can't stand 4:3, there are lots of other Android tablets to choose from.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Samsung Galaxy tab, yay or nay?

Plain "Galaxy Tab" is most likely the extreme budget line, which is not recommended. Galaxy Tab S are high end and have some of the best screens of any tablet. Galaxy Tab Pro are better displays than the plain tab, but not as nice as the S. Galaxy Note 8.0 is bad and old, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition is better and newer, Galaxy Note Pro 8.4 or 12.2 are different sizes and...maybe best of the Note line? No idea. Just look here, it's really simple: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wi-fi-tabs

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

n0manarmy posted:

Looking at getting my wife a tablet for xmas.

I'm debating between the Nexus 9 or the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9.

She is not a techy, she just wants things to work. We have a netflix subscription, she'll use my Amazon prime subscription if we get the Kindle.

Both devices look great spec-wise, what I'm torn about is the fact that the Kindle does not provide access to the Google play store unless you root the device and that used to, or still does, break the streaming on the Kindle.

Should I just let her embrace the Lollipop experience and forget the Kindle fire and its video streaming capabilities since we have netflix? Or has the Kindles app store become good enough that there really is loss in not having the google play store?

There is a pretty big loss going from Google Play to Amazon app store. I'm pretty sure Amazon allows non-Kindle Android devices to stream video now, too, so you're not losing that by going with another Android tablet.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

cryptoclastic posted:

The Air 2 is definitely what I want, but the 64gb is 720 dollars here. The Mini 2 32gb (no point in the Mini 3, as I don't care about touch ID) is 420 dollars. That 300 dollar difference is what is giving me pause. And there is pretty much nowhere with a return policy on the iPad here, as far as I know. There are no Apple stores, and just a few authorized retailers.

Edit: What is it that makes an Air 2 worth 200 dollars than an Air 1? I can get an Air 1 for 540, which is around the price point that seems good for me.

Since you're mostly wanting to use it for reading, just get the Air 1.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

After looking around a bit, really interested in the asus t200 with 4gb in the $400-500 range and the yoga 2 pro 8gb in the $1000ish range. Anyone have good/bad experiences with either?

Yoga 2 Pro is quite good, but it is very much a laptop. If you want something to use as a tablet very often, a Surface Pro 3 would be better. That said, it is a very good laptop. Software support for its high resolution screen has improved. The two downsides are a smaller than normal right shift key (I mostly got used to it, but I wish Lenovo would stop loving with keyboards) and battery life that isn't as good as it could be (realistically, 5-8 hours depending on workload and screen brightness). Both are pretty small nitpicks from my point of view, as the keyboard is otherwise good and that battery life is totally fine for me, but they might be bigger issues for you.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

At the price a good surface pro 3 or yoga 2 is I'm fine I think with it being more of a laptop as long as it's fairly lightweight and has a quick boot time. Main concern I have on the yoga 2 is how easy it is to keep the insides relatively dust free. Worried about overheating issues down the line.

I figure if nothing else I can still get a cheap 2012 n7 later if I want something to lie in bed and read with

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-I7-4500U-Convertiable-Ultrabook-3200x1800/dp/B00H6U5AG6

This is the yoga 2 model I've been looking at

Boot time is quite quick, it has an SSD after all. That's the model I have, though I got it direct from Lenovo around the time of release. Keep an eye out for Lenovo deals, I got it for $1200 near release, so I imagine you can find a better deal on one than that with the Yoga 3 out now. Maybe with the Barnes & Noble Gold thing or an edu discount, you could get a better deal right now. You should ask in the recommend a laptop thread though, they'll be more up to date than me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I'll take a look around, but I've also been seeing reviews that the yoga 3 isn't much of an upgrade over the newest yoga 2 models. I think it's also a pound heavier. I'll check for edu discounts though since my college uses b&n as their official book store

Nah, it's a weird online discount program. Google it and/or check the laptop thread for more info. I think it saves you at least 10% off listed prices at Lenovo.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ExplodingChef posted:

Someone on CL near me selling a Nexus 10 16gb for 100 bucks. Wouldn't mind upgrading from my old HP Touchpad. Would primarily use it for reading in bed, some gaming (hearthstone would be about the most taxing thing, I'd think), and possibly some movie watching in bed. Worth the impulse pickup? My biggest concern is the lack of expandable memory, but I doubt I'd be throwing a bunch of movies or music on it.

Nexus 10 has held up quite well. That is an easy decision to upgrade, especially since you can sell the Touchpad to offset much of the cost. I'd definitely take it over any recent non-flagship recent tablet, and probably over many of the current flagships. Screen is great, battery is good, and performance is good (certainly way better than your Touchpad). For any price under like $200, I would easily recommend it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

IratelyBlank posted:

I'm considering updating my iPad 2 for grad school and I'm trying to justify upgrading to the iPad Air 2. I've used my current iPad constantly throughout undergrad for taking notes and reading and it isn't broken in any way, just starting to show it's age wrt speed and responsiveness. I'd also really like a better screen. Has anyone made this upgrade and what are your thoughts?

If you're reading on it, upgrading to a retina display is definitely worth it. Everything else about the Air 2 is much much better too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Etrips posted:

So for something I want to just bring to work with me and be able to browse forums / read PDFs, would the iPad mini 2 or Nexus 7 2013 fit the bill better? Or is there something else I should consider?

edit: drat, comparing price wise, the iPad mini 2 32gb ($350) is $170 more than a refurbished n7 ($180).

Go to a store and try similar content on both. IPad mini is bigger and has a different aspect ratio, which could be worth the price increase if that makes reading what you want to read much better.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

jadeddrifter posted:

I like the galaxy tab 4. Or if you don't mind spending the extra money the Tab S is awesome.

The Galaxy Tab line (no Pro, no S, no Note) is the budget line, I wouldn't recommend any of them. They're not the best budget tablets and they're definitely not the best tablets if you want to spend $400-500.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Rv, what's budget line about the galaxy tab s? I can't really find anything that makes the nexus 9 seem much better, if at all. Is it because it's still on the older android os?

Nah, Samsung's naming is just awful; I tried to be clear ("The Galaxy Tab line (no Pro, no S, no Note) is the budget line"). The budget line is the "Galaxy Tab" line, like Galaxy Tab 4 10.1, Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, etc. Then the current high end line is Galaxy Tab S, with several sizes. In the past, the Galaxy Tab Pro line and Galaxy Note line have been their high end tablet. But anything that is just "Galaxy Tab [numbers]" is bad: 1024x600 display on the 7", 1280x800 display on the 10.1", slow and bad.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

StickFigs posted:

Like this one? http://amzn.com/B00BQH8UEY

Looks pretty nice, anyone have an opinion on this model?

1280x800 display is pretty bleh

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Medullah posted:

Been considering a Galaxy Tab, is this $200 ebay deal of the day a pretty sweet deal for a 4?

RVProfootballer posted:

The Galaxy Tab line (no Pro, no S, no Note) is the budget line, I wouldn't recommend any of them. They're not the best budget tablets and they're definitely not the best tablets if you want to spend $400-500.

RVProfootballer posted:

The budget line is the "Galaxy Tab" line, like Galaxy Tab 4 10.1, Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, etc. Then the current high end line is Galaxy Tab S, with several sizes. In the past, the Galaxy Tab Pro line and Galaxy Note line have been their high end tablet. But anything that is just "Galaxy Tab [numbers]" is bad: 1024x600 display on the 7", 1280x800 display on the 10.1", slow and bad.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GoodBee posted:

That doesn't really answer if it's bad for that price, just at retail.

Try reading those posts again!

RVProfootballer posted:

The Galaxy Tab line (no Pro, no S, no Note) is the budget line, I wouldn't recommend any of them [editor's note: "I wouldn't recommend any of them", not "I wouldn't recommend any of them at retail price"]. They're not the best budget tablets and they're definitely not the best tablets if you want to spend $400-500.

RVProfootballer posted:

The budget line is the "Galaxy Tab" line, like Galaxy Tab 4 10.1, Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, etc. Then the current high end line is Galaxy Tab S, with several sizes. In the past, the Galaxy Tab Pro line and Galaxy Note line have been their high end tablet. But anything that is just "Galaxy Tab [numbers]" is bad [editor's note: just bad, not "bad for the price"]: 1024x600 display on the 7", 1280x800 display on the 10.1", slow and bad.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 12, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

harmless_fun posted:

I would normally agree on the 1GB RAM, but he will not be using it for anything more taxing; he doesn't play games or use apps now and I don't see that changing.

The HP Stream has microSD (and micro-B USB 2.0), but he wants to use SD, preferably without an adapter. The deer camera only takes SD and he's having enough trouble fumbling around with those in the woods without adding microSD and microSD to SD adapters into the equation.

I'm not even sure what he wants is currently available on the market. If it is not, anyone have experience with the HP Stream?

Aren't there just simple SD shells/adapters that the microSD slides into? Seems like a really simple and cheap solution.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

freemason9 posted:

Cheap? $50 or less, my wife probably won't bat an eye. It gets sketchy past that point.

2012 Nexus 7 would probably work and is probably $60-70 used, but a 2013 will be quite a bit nicer for not much more.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sri.Theo posted:

I don't think that's true, even phones with 512mb are supposed to get the upgrade.

You don't think Windows Phone 10 and full, desktop Windows 10, which will be on the tablets, might have different hardware requirements?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

orinth posted:

I'm seriously having a hard time deciding on a new tablet. It's come down to an iPad mini 2 or a Samsung galaxy s tab 8.4.

It's been quite a while since I've used android. I started with the T-Mobile G1 and needless to say, android wasn't exactly great back then. I used that phone for 2 years before switching to iPhones.

The Samsung is winning me over on hardware but I'm just a little hesitant due to the software. I'm not a fan of samsungs touch wiz but I've heard that nova launcher disables it (I think). It looks like cyanogen mod is available for it. I'll mainly be using it for light gaming, movies and general Internet usage.

I was thinking about picking it up at best buy. It looks like you can return it within 15 days no questions asked.

Some of the visual badness of TouchWiz can be changed by changing the launcher to Nova Launcher or Google Now Launcher or whatever, but that by no means gets rid of all of it, as the notification drawer, lock screen, and settings won't be changed by the launcher, nor will any of the under-the-hood stuff. Don't plan to put custom ROMs on it. Android is a ton better than it used to be, and the Galaxy Tab S screen is awesome, but the iPad Mini will still win on software and apps. If the price is the same or the Samsung is more, it is very tough to recommend it over the iPad. If the Samsung costs significantly less than the iPad, then it ends up being a bit more of a decision, and you'll just have to decide whether the cost difference is enough to make up the experience/quality difference.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Xealot posted:

I don't really need Android for business reasons, though I definitely use Google's services (Chrome / Gmail / Gchat / Drive) for stuff. I have an iPhone 5C, and the apps on iOS for those are fairly adequate for my purposes.

It's not that I hate iOS, it's that conceptually I prefer Android. But a brand new $270 device dying within 2 years is kind of bullshit, and I don't know what other manufacturer in the Android space provides the same or similar build quality and reliability Apple does (I've had Apple devices last 5+ years.)

I'm aiming to spend ~$350, which is how much a 32gb iPad Mini 2 goes for. I was just wondering what else was out there I hadn't thought of.

FYI, there are frequently deals on eBay for iPad Mini 2, if you're fine checking slick deals once every day or two. New 64 GB with LTE for $330, which I jumped on, and new 128 GB with LTE for $370. Relevant link. Given the lack of super compelling Android tablets and that sale meaning I didn't have to pay full price to upgrade an iPad to a good amount of storage, that made it an easy decision for me :)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

I've kept willfully ignorant of the Android side of things, but now I'm in the mood to play around. I'm looking at the Acer Iconia One 7 B1-750 for ~$100 CAD. My questions are:

*Does Acer ship reasonably stock firmware?
*Do they provide software updates for a reasonable stretch of time?
*Will the performance be tolerable? Any downsides to Intel vs ARM?
*Is there anything obviously superior in that price range?

Thanks.

Buy a used 2013 Nexus 7 if you want a small, cheap tablet. Do not buy a bottom of the barrel budget tablet from Acer and expect a good experience.

As a general rule of thumb for Android, anything made as a budget device is awful, and buying a 1-2 year old flagship model is better in basically every way. This has started to change with phones, as there are actual quality budget options (though the vast majority of "entry level" phones are still completely awful), but hasn't trickled up to tablets yet.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 30, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Google Butt posted:

What's the cheapest tablet worth buying for watching movies and streaming media?

I'd add the 2013 Nexus 7 is still one of the best Android tablets and is available for like $100, if a 7" Android tablet does it for you. If you're fine with the price, though, the iPad Mini 2 is worth the extra cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Konstantin posted:

I'm looking for a small device mainly for streaming audio and podcasts. No interest in a phone, but it needs to be small enough to easily fit in a pocket, and it would be nice if it interacted well with my Samsung Galaxy Tab. Good battery life and durability are also desirable. What are some good options?

Either an iPod Touch if you want iOS or an Android phone without a sim card if you want Android. If the latter, something cheap with good battery like a Moto E should work.