Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'm thinking of getting a kindle fire as a media holder for my car, whats the biggest sd card yall fit in one so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Statutory Ape posted:

I'm thinking of getting a kindle fire as a media holder for my car, whats the biggest sd card yall fit in one so far?

Jfc, 3 posts up are you all writing about how i can't load playstore on kindle fire anymore :stare:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

FISHMANPET posted:

I need a tablet to read 500 page paper size pdfs. I tried out a fire 10 at target and it seemed to be able to handle the file just fine. So I'm leaning that way. Something cheap and simple.

But I was also hoping for something that I could run Google Docs on and pair it with a Bluetooth keyboard and do some writing. But it sounds like that's not possible now that Google has broken sideloading the play store?

Are there any other Android choices in that form factor that are decent and don't cost $500? Some other way to do writing within Amazon's ecosystem?

i have one of these

https://www.amazon.com/ZenPad-2048x1536-Android-Titanium-Z500M-C1-GR/dp/B01MATMXZV?th=1

the only issue i have is that the home button is kinda wonky but i think that might just be mine since i couldnt really turn up anybody w that issue while googling it

i also have a BT keyboard on it actually. the fintie KB/Case that is designed for that tablet. pretty good poo poo.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Space Gopher posted:

Google hasn't broken the Play store on Fire tablets; they've just made it so you have to individually configure each device on your account. It's just another step in the setup process, which wasn't the most intuitive thing in the world to begin with.

What's limiting you to Android? Google is trying to forget they ever made Android tablets. Seriously, go look at what they're selling on the official Android tablet marketing page: three options that are literally discontinued and mostly NLA from the linked retailers, and a Samsung tablet from 2015 that's stuck on Nougat.

If you want a PDF reader and document editor without having to hack around the Fire limitations, just get an iPad, Goodreader, and Google Docs. At this point they're as cheap as any of the Android options with decent hardware anyway.

i would have grabbed an ipad myself but lol if i was carrying around a lightning cable when my laptop and 2 phones are usb-c

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I got the free alcatel a30 from t mobile

It is surprisingly not lovely :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

It's pretty easy to buy a phone now too if you don't decide you want a $1k super star destroyer

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yeah though depending on the carrier getting phones unlocked is still too much bullshit compared to what it should be.

100% better now than it ever has been in USA. I work in the industry and have to deal with all the carriers on a daily basis and so maybe im more jaded than i should be :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I stream sports games through chrome (i just google like, NBA Stream Reddit) and also torrent directly to the tablet

can ipads do those things yet

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno, I'm an adult with a job so I just pay for things.

Same here, and i like to watch sports at the office you loving oval office lmao

Google how blackout restrictions work for the sports streaming services :ssh:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

sourdough posted:

Not sure about torrent, but yeah sports streams play fine

That's cool, thats the primary concern. Last time i had an iPad they didn't but i suspect those were flash streams and now they're all html5 or something

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

android tablets are a barren hellscape

i have this one though https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1286014-REG/asus_z500m_c1_gr_9_zenpad_3s_mtk_8176_4gb_64gb_android.html

its built really nice and has good specs.

i got it instead of an ipad because my phones and laptop both use USB-C already so not having a different charger was appealing to me. i also enjoy android :shrug:

its probably overpriced

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lube banjo posted:

I never really understood the Android vs apple environment debate. Touch the icon to open things, that's it. I guess learning how to double click the apple button to navigate apps is different but that's like one tiny thing that a 5 year old can pick up in 30 seconds.

Those are obviously the only differences

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

codo27 posted:

I have one at home from a client as well that belonged to their dead sister or something and had no way to get into the account and thus no way to unlock the loving thing. I feel like these things cause more trouble for honest situations than preventing theft.

I dont think Knox, et al, are designed to prevent device theft per se.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, Apple device theft had a significant drop after they made it so a device can't be used by anyone but the owner. KNOX does similar, as far as I'm aware, so even if data security is the main goal, device theft prevention is a useful side effect.

lol if you think tablet thieves know what Knox is

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I have the asus and own KOTOR. Ill DL it and try it later when i get home if you want.

Build quality on asus is a solid 8/10

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

m.hache posted:

I did see some concerns on build quality, like the SD card slot was loose and the back had some give like it was empty space.

Any comments on that?

I actually just noticed the back thing the other day for the first time (until recently i kept it in a case 100% of the time)

it is why i deducted 2 points actually. I did put an SD card in mine and havent had any issues with that, but I haven't futzed with it since day one of ownership back in november or so last year

E: downloading KOTOR right now

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

KOTOR played really smoothly and the controls were good (idk if you've played it for android otherwise)

My only gripe is that I found it a bit dark, even when maxing out the screen brightness and game brightness. I've never found that screen to be particularly dark before tbh either so I think its possibly that game.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

samsung either makes absolute poo poo tablets or extremely expensive tablets that Aren't iPads so maybe they should make a tablet that isnt $600 but isn't terrible, idk

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Nah Samsung really wants to be premium.

they're releasing a ~$400 phone in USA so at least one division in samsung knows wtf is up

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah they make cheap poo poo but it always feels like they made it feeling ashamed of it.

well my point wasnt that you can't buy a cheap samsung tablet, my point was that their lower priced poo poo is loving garbage. you can buy a $150 samsung tablet but you absolutely shouldnt

rather they were competitive in a $300 segment or something that maybe wasn't iPad-spectacular, but at least had USB-C charging and 3+ GB ram

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

bolind posted:

What would a good Android tablet for a car GPS be? Must have GPS (duh), SIM, LTE preferably and not be wider than 220mm or so.

For GPS exclusively ? Are you using some sort of interesting program or just maps/waze?

If it's just Google maps or waze, if you're in America your cell provider should have a free tablet they'll provide you if you activate a line of service with them. Those are almost universally quad-core ARM chips with 1.5-2 gb of RAM. I have an Alcatel a30 that, while it's a piece of poo poo , was good enough for gps- which is what I bought it for

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

cubicle gangster posted:

Thank you! that's really helpful. Maybe the surface hub is an option for when we're important enough that clients come to us...

Adobe acrobat runs incredibly slowly and crashes often just viewing 20mb pdf's on my $3500 workstation with 128gb of ram, I was under the impression it's totally worthless on windows machines.
Doing actual work on this machine would be limited to writing emails while flying.
I also didn't know that you could do a hdmi out with an ipadpro, our CEO has one so that makes it a pretty easy one to test. I wonder if a microsoft store will let me test this before buying one too.

As far as I understand, MS Stores dont have a restocking fee soooo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Usb-C was a hard req for me too and boy do I regret that

Pigeon holed into over priced garbage

If I could do it again I would just own an iPad :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I use my own tablets for (ocean) boating and as a smart component on an otherwise stupid pickup truck and trust me , I had the identical process re: cords. My phones and laptops are all usb c

The tablet offerings are THAT slim that I still regret my choice. Legit wish I had just grabbed iPad then grabbed lightning cables off Slickdeals as needed

Mind you I don't even like iOS or anything :shrug:

E: though I do have an iPad pro for work and tbh.. it's pretty nice

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Since the first gen iPad was new and cool, I grew up on the ocean :shrug:

The other ocean though, maybe salt watah isn't as corrosive as salt water

E: my cords don't last long anyway so that could contribute

Prior to that it was thinkpads

Worf fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 5, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ocr

bouncers for IDs

etc

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

^^ Chromebook is a pretty good idea too. You'll end up with a better/bigger keyboard and probably more versatility unless whatever app you're running on android would have a compatibility issue. You doing some sort of telco mapping or something?

Nomenclature posted:

I'm looking for a cheap, lightweight, laptop form-factor Android device for taking out into the field and logging radio contacts.

As for requirements, it needs to be able to charge off of 5V USB, have a good interface for file management, and be able to quickly switch back and forth between images, PDFs, and a word processor.

Does a device like that even exist?

do you basically need an android tablet and a keyboard? thats what it sounds like you need.

For potential inspiration purposes: https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-ZenPa...=gateway&sr=8-6 - thats the one i have for my model, they make a bunch.

as far as device.. being able to bring your own bluetooth keyboard like that opens the field up pretty wide, probably including the current gen amazon tablets

Worf fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 23, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

FWIW, I have an iPad pro through work (i manage accounts, no creation or anything etc, so its mainly office suite) but Chrome Remote Desktop works great on it so for some PC/heavy lifting stuff maybe remoting through ipad is an option?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

headlight posted:

Remoting would be a great option but are you keyboard and touch bound or does a mouse work?

I have not used a mouse on it actually since I also have to carry a laptop, but i HAVE used a mouse on android tablet before (basically had a folio case/kb/bluetooth mouse) and it was definitely rudimentary but in the "good enough for what i need it for" department

I cant genuinely say its a great solution but I can genuinely say you could probably find a way to try it yourself for free and make the determination

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hadlock posted:

You might want to check out the nest hub, it's designed for exactly this. It's about the same price and comes with a sturdy "built in stand". We have one (the Google home hub, before the nest rebranding) and my wife loves it for following along on recipies etc

https://store.google.com/product/google_nest_hub

Right now they're $79. Which is about what a tablet would cost. Also bonus it works with those cheap smart bulbs. It's a deep rabbit hole, we got the nest/Google home hub and two light bulbs, two weeks later we had a new Chromecast (to turn the TV on and off with voice), a home mini and 18 Philips hue lightbulbs and we don't use light switches any more.

Confirming the depth of this hole

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

That was really nice of you to help one goon pay rent and another get a tablet

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

there must be so many 2 in 1 chromebooks out there under $200 that fit this description and use case 100%

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

duck monster posted:

Just a heads up, theres some very dodgy tablets going around on Ebay..

If your wondering what your looking at, Thats an android 4.4 tablet with the OS identity string sabotaged to say Android 8.1

I won't name names, but its basically tablets for under $100 (significantly under in some cases)
claiming to be;-
Android 8.1 : (Its android 4.4)
2Ghz: (Its 1.3ghz)
10 Core: (Ad claims 10 core, SpecDevice claims 5 cores, but I cant find any evidence of the ARM7s with 5 cores ....Its a mystery)
Resolution : 2560*1600: (Its 1280x800)
4Gb Ram: (Its 1Gb)
64gb Storage: (Its 16 Gb)
4G phone: (Couldn't actually get this to work, the baseband identifier suggests its only 2G/GSM)

The worst part is they've hacked the settings app to claim its got all the things in the ad, but on deeper dive its just fraud.

I've contacted eBay but they dont seem interested in investigating it because the seller refunded me (Only after I threatened to rat him out to the Malaysian Commercial Crime Investigation Division) so I guess best I can do is just raise the alarm publicly not to buy these counterfeit tablets

The best you can do is actually name the names, rather than coming in here and showing everybody your math in copious detail and then waiting for us to coax the answer out of you.

E: to be clear, it seems like you did good work but my work flow for fraud starts at who before it goes to how

You just said a bunch of nonsense that I assume isn't even real because you intentionally and willfully didn't provide the only relevant piece of data in the whole set

😇

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I became a lot less interested in how constricted iOS was compared to Android as soon as I realized how easy it was to offload those tasks to a remote machine (ie, torrenting, etc)

Chrome remote desktop app works pretty darn well too.

Basically what I'm saying is I'm not an apple fan but iPads rule :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tablets: budget <=$100 Amazon, >= $250 iPad 12/2019

Maybe it would reduce our carbon footprint to just move the thread to a banner ad

We probably wouldn't even need to use tiny font

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

We've been using those words in English for a long time.

People have been "drinking in the view" or other poo poo forever.

You could sit here and think of endless examples of this in English.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Wibla posted:

English is a bit of a clusterfuck, so... :v:

By definition and geography it was always going to be (and I guess my point was, that it always has been lol)

On topic , what was wrong with the idea of eInk for sheet music ? Seemed smart to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pretty messed up to assume the ads arent genuinely impacting performance.

Also cost you more in electricity.

Totally fine to get them off that way.