Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Shut up Meg posted:

Does this still work?

I think they got rid of the direct chat link to tech support in the Settings, but if you call and are nice about it they should do it for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Question - I used to go to a car dealership, and in the waiting room there were charging stations

The charging stations were USB cords that were split off at the end with cords for Micro USB/Lightning/Apple 30-pin/etc.

Do they still make universal charging cords like this?

EDIT: nevermind, found it - https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctional-Universal-Charger-Connector-Compatible/dp/B01CHXX78O

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 3, 2020

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Alder posted:

Any real downsides to Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" 32 GB Wifi Tablet (Black) (Renewed)?

Samsung devices usually only get security updates for a year and then you're kicked to the curb

Sure enough, I don't see that device listed on their current update schedule:

https://security.samsungmobile.com/workScope.smsb

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Billa posted:

Howdy!

I'm looking for a tablet of the size of an iPad mini but in Android. Any suggestions?

Amazon's Fire HD 8 Plus is coming out in a couple weeks with 3GB RAM, Qi-wireless charging, and USB-C for $109, so that's probably your best bet. Reviews say you can still sideload the Google Play Store onto it.

Cameras are still absolute dogshit though, and it still only has a quad-core processor compared to the HD 10's octocore

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

redreader posted:

I am in the USA. I want a tablet for watching avi videos while I work out.I am currently using my phone (pixel 3, 5.5 inches) to watch downloaded video while I ellipt but it's tiny.

I tried using my wife's 5+ year old kindle fire , and it works but 720p video on it is choppy.

requirements:
-can put vlc on it (so android preferably)
-has 30+gb of storage or can take some kind of sd card
-can play 1080p without choppiness
-bluetooth for headphones
-less than $150

That's it! The cheaper the better, but I do want to be able to play video on it properly while I work out. I don't want to spend 500 dollars. I'd rather spend 100 or so. please let me know what good options there are, or if it's out of my budget. If it is out of my budget, please tell me what the device is and I'll see if I want it anyway.

Fire HD 10 is $149 and has an octo-core processor, 2GB RAM, 32gb internal storage, SD slot, bluetooth

Fire HD 8 Plus is $109 with a quad-core processor, 3GB RAM, 32gb internal storage, SD slot, bluetooth and wireless charging

Fire HD 8 is $89 with a quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, 32gb internal storage, SD slot, bluetooth

Sideload the Google Play Store onto any of those and you should be good

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 6, 2020

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Tosk posted:

Hi guys, I've had a Kindle Fire HD for like, 5-6 years or something. It's definitely reached the end of its natural lifespan and I'm ready to move on and up.

I don't use an iPhone or any other Apple products, but I'm seeing a lot of iPad recommendations in here. I just wanted to make sure that the recommendation still stands even if I won't be able to take advantage of any synergy with other Apple products.

I'm a student and would like a tablet that's comfortable for reading pdfs of textbooks and whatnot, but also able to read books comfortably. I also have been learning to draw and have been thinking of investing in a tablet for drawing in the future, and I have no idea if an iPad can fulfill that functionality, but if it could that would be awesome, albeit secondary to the other stuff I mentioned. What model would you all suggest for that? (keeping in mind my student budget means I can't drop $500-$600 on a tablet)

Fire HD 10 is on sale for $79 right now

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I haven’t particularly been paying attention to the android tablet world for a while, so I’m here to ask what’s probably a dumb question: what is the best cheap android tablet with a 8+ inch screen?

The reason I’m asking is because I’d like a bigger screen to use with my DJI Mavic Air 2 drone. I currently use my iPhone X and a newer iPad, but there are two problems with that. The screen on the iPhone is too small to make out sufficient detail while I’m flying. I realized this after reviewing the video I shot and seeing I very narrowly missed some power lines that I didn’t even see on the iPhone.

The iPad works very well but it’s my wife’s and I don’t really want to risk dropping it while out flying.

So, I’m looking for something that is:

1) bigger than an iPhone X, screen-wise
2) cheap, so if I drop it outside it won’t matter too much (under $100 ideally)
3) able to use the Google play store so I can download the DJI Fly app to it. That app is pretty much all it will be used for so storage doesn’t matter much to me.

I see the Fire 8 HD is cheap but I’m not sure if I can get DJI Fly on it.

What say ye goons?

Current version of Fire HD 8 is on Fire OS 7 (Android 9), and Play Store says the requirement for that app is Android 6 or higher, so it should be fine

Fire HD 10 is on sale for $79 this week for Black Friday, so that's another option

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
The cameras on the Fire 10 are low resolution (2MP front and back on the most recent model) - fair warning