Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Hard to beat for the price and those used which are almost the same as mine (replace Plex with Comixology/Kindle). Writing this on my fire now, in fact.

I'm using the 32gb model with a 128gb card. Not sure what the advantage is with going with base 64 gb. Apparently some shifty apps won't use the card, but I've not encountered them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The_White_Crane posted:

Goons, help me!
I want a super cheapo android tablet, purely for looking things up and doing my revision flashcards on when I'm away from home.

My priorities are, in order:
- price of under $100, preferably under $75
- as recent a version of android as possible
- not a Fire because gently caress Amazon.
- preferably takes an SD card.

Walmart has an $80 Onn 10.1 inch tablet that sounds like it may be lovely for video but passable for others including your use case.

Don't know about the SD card though.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Here's a sort of ad-hoc review compared to the Fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOHIxBGJo3I

Myself, using a Fire 10 daily, I'd never go with it. If I'd never had an Android tablet, I'd give it a shot.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
https://press.aboutamazon.com/news-releases/news-release-details/starting-monday-july-15-ask-alexa-what-are-my-prime-day-deals-0

I picked up my 10" on a lark from last year's $100 sale and have been happy with it, mostly for reading comic books and non-comic books.

I installed the Google ecosystem on it too and my kid loves it for the games and various Play-apps that work with it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
I can confirm you can use an alternate launcher with Fire.

I loved the Windows Phone UI, I use Launcher 10 on both my Pixel 3 and Fire 10. Last year Amazon did do something that blocked it, but it was "fixed" within a few days, I believe due to the Launcher 10 developer renaming it to get out of Amazon's block list.