Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Still no word on the new Nexus 10, right?

There's whispers of a release Nov 22 (tomorrow), and a mistakenly revealed and then removed Google Play page with that date, but nothing confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Superdawg posted:

OK, so I currently own a nexus 7 2013 and find that the 7" display is just too inadequate sometimes when I'm doing work over ssh, so I'm looking for alternatives in the 10+inch realm.

I'm possibly considering a windows 8 tablet, but I really don't want to spend $1k to get a surface.

I often carpool on my way into work and ssh into the office during the trip. I also use remote desktop to get to my work laptop for the more graphical operations.

What would be the best option for this kind of use?

The dell venue 11? An aging nexus 10? I really don't want to go with Apple. I feel too restricted on those devices at times with regard to things like multitasking and general operability.

Ideally I would prefer to keep the price at our below $500.

If you work with SSH a lot, I'm guessing you are familiar with Linux. I'd suggest just getting an old X220 and throwing Ubuntu (to save money) or find one with Win7.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...=item58aef4f937

Just a quick Ebay search finds them floating around 250-300. Get an SSD and a spare battery, and you'll be much better served as a cheap travel laptop than a Chromebook. You can even find them with 3G cards for not too much more.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RVProfootballer posted:

You linked a 7" tablet with 800x480 resolution. That app will look horrible on it, as will everything else. It won't be responsive and it will likely have lots of app incompatibility problems, though it's tough to know exactly how big a problem that will be until you waste $50 on it and find out.

Save up another fifty bucks and buy a 2012 Nexus 7 used. Or save up another $100, and buy a used Nexus 7 2013. It looks like they may launch an 8" Nexus tablet in a month, that will make a lot of people (including myself) blow out their old 7's to upgrade and it will depress the prices.

Honestly, if you only have $50 free to buy a tablet you should not be buying a tablet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

khy posted:

Sooo.... anyone know of any good deals on a 2013 Nexus 7 right now?

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php...s+7&firstonly=1

Slickdeals is your friend.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RVProfootballer posted:

Refurbished LG gpad 8.3 on woot for $200. Today only, so order while the garbage is hot.

Is that one 4:3? It looks like it in the pictures.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eddiewalker posted:

Target had the original 16gb iPad Mini for $200 straight up last week. Best Buy had the 16gb Retina Mini+case at $300 with an edu email. There have been some pretty compelling deals lately without having to go refurb.

I would not get the regular non-retina iPad Mini at this point. I'm pretty sure it's not 32bit compatible, and it's the same platform as the iPad 2, so it's soon going to get dropped from software update supports. Even if they tick the number up, it probably won't get all the features for the next release after 8.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rurutia posted:

You guys signing off on this being a good deal for my situation? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Google...fepn=5335869999

You don't need the LTE capable unit. Just get the wifi.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7080266-16gb-asus-nexus-7-2nd-gen-7-android-4-3-tablet-refurbished-119-99-after-50-rebate-free-shipping-newegg-com

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rurutia posted:

Damnit, didn't see that one while it was alive.

Ah, didn't see it was dead, sorry.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rurutia posted:

It's fine. I'm going to be the goon in the well and pick up this offer:

https://www.facebook.com/Newegg/posts/10152589499844168

Another deal for you:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/07/25/deal-alert-refurbished-2013-nexus-7-just-129-returns-ebay-daily-deals/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Honestly? None. With the exception of Apple, all OEMs are in a race to the bottom to see who can poo poo out the biggest turd. Since you want Ubuntu, the OS on the device shouldn't matter too much. With Apple, you get easily the best build quality and some of the best support in the industry. My goon brother who is a Linux admin loving hates Apple but loves his Macbook w/ Retina.

Goon bro here. You specifically said ssh and Ubuntu so you are already a Linux guy. That said a Macbook is what you want. OSX for desktops is what GNOME wants to be when it grows up. It plays so much nicer with Linux servers because it already has a bash shell and vi and all that work on it. For the record I hate windows and osx. I used an Ubuntu laptop for a long time but got tired of janitoring it. Get a cheap macbook. You can snatch one for under $1000 and then get a Nexus 7 2013 for you bed tablet needs.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

Magic cover. Oh that loving thing. You breathe on it and it flies off. I simply don't understand how it made it past the initial design testing.

It's a neat idea but the magnets are so loving weak. Do not buy one.

I have one, I got it half price, but man is it such a weird design idea. if it was just around the corner and attached on one side or the back it'd be perfect.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mango sentinel posted:

I was just at Best Buy and noticed this Unbranded 10.1" Windows 8 Tablet

Anyone know anything about this? It basically seems like the top half of Asus Transformer for way cheaper.

Intel® Atom™ processor
With 1.33GHz processor speed and 2GB memory for optimal performance.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

omg chael crash posted:

Think so? Think even basic, unmodded Morrowind would cripple a tablet? Hmmm

How could you possibly play Morrowind with just on screen touch controls?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Foma posted:

I have a Nexus 9 and I am really disappointed with it. If I were in your shoes I would hold out for whatever comes next.

I went through ten Nexus 9s. The first couple were because the price dropped by like $150, so I just returned it to rebuy it lower, but the next seven were just hot garbage.
  • Barely assembled, the back case was coming off
  • Top corner got burning hot
  • Kept locking up, felt like I was working under water
  • Volume button was so flush it was nearly useless
  • Screen had terrible bleed, a couple of them had a .5cm white line around the bottom edge, plus a the rest of the screen was milky when completely black

It was terrible. I decided to get an iPad Air, and haven't missed Android tablets at all However, I kept swapping out the N9 just to see how many bad ones I could get.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Flameingblack posted:

I'm buying some tablets for an Emergency Response client we've got (Ambulances) and they need a windows tablet that works pretty well and stable. Since they'll be in the ambulances and being handled by lots of different people, they need to be pretty well sturdy or have really sturdy cases to keep them safe. There's really no other requirements other than needing windows and being tough to break/crack/ect.

Price range is below $300 a tablet, nothing has to be that fancy. The tablet can be $300 and if it's got a $75 otter box or something that's fine too.

You shouldn't be banking life safety on something that inexpensive. You want the Panasonic Toughbook which is out of your price range, but really, $300 for what you want is sort of a :smith: decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RoanHorse posted:

Probably the wrong thread for this, but can you dual boot a Surface with Android?

Almost for sure no. You can't boot a Surface into Linux (maybe with great difficulty, but MS is actively preventing it) so Android would be worlds harder than just Ubuntu.

EDIT: Well, look at that. You can. Wow. http://www.geek.com/microsoft/linux-users-rejoice-heres-ubuntu-on-the-surface-pro-3-1594864/