Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
I wouldn't dismiss Microsoft so easily. I can't tell you the number of people who want a tablet, but have never used one and don't know the limitations. When they find out it's essentially a larger version of their phone, they are let down. People take for granted simple stuff, like multiple apps side by side, because they've been told tablets are these amazing devices that do everything.

Windows 8.1 tablets are really nice. The new Baytrail tablets come with Office, half of them have docks of various types, and are full computers at really good prices. Your main limitation is a small app store, but you do have x86 backwards compatibility.

While I won't say they're fit everyone's role, if you're doing the basics: banking, surfing, YouTube, social media, even some light documents for school/work, they really fit the bill and are very affordable (Surface Pro 2, withstanding).

Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

sethsez posted:

The thing you're missing is that if someone only wants the basics, iOS and Android have been good at those for a while now, and if someone wants something more advanced, iOS and Android have far more options that are actually customized for a tablet-sized touch screen. I have a Transformer T100 and really like it, but it's a convertible because it needs to be. Doing all that nice advanced Windows stuff more or less requires a mouse and keyboard (and this includes Office), and the basic Metro Modern UI stuff is about on par with what Google and Apple are offering, only with a vastly more anemic app selection. I wanted a small, low-power computer with great battery life and I got it, the tablet stuff is a fantastic bonus but it's not on par with the competition outside of basic web browsing and such. There's just too many apps missing right now.

And having two separate environments for applications with completely different UIs and functionality remains a goddamn nightmare for casual consumer use. iOS and Android absolutely wipe the floor with Windows 8.1 here.

iOS and Android are great for the basics. I just don't think people should automatically dismiss 8.1. And to the other dude; some people do want 1 device to do a majority of things. When you get an email with an attachment, why have to rush to your computer? It's an occasional thing for some, but it's nice. Talk to a lot of customers who's main point isn't office, but they feel it's a nice bonus.

Duckman2008 posted:

This part is just corporate cool aid. I'll certainly like agree tablets aren't as powerful as PCs in many ways, but they are certainly more than larger phones. Unless they are like the surface RT and have no optimized apps.

Two things wrong with this: 1) they really are bigger phones when it comes down to it. Look no further than iOS. If that's what people want, that's fine; but a lot of people don't expect that. And 2) unlike a lot of apps on Android, apps on the Surface ARE optimized. There are no phone apps on the Windows Store. Smaller app store, of course, but they're all "optimized" for it, at least.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

git clone trooper posted:

Why should someone buy a windows tablet over a nexus or ipad with a keyboard case?

Better multitasking. USB/HDMI. Office. x86 compatibility. Cheaper.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Christoff posted:

I was under the impression all those microsoft tablets weren't received well and Windows 8 was poo poo? I've never used one but they just haven't seemed real popular with the tablet crowd. Too many android fans? I mean I don't need a keyboard at all but it is a nice feature to have around when you need more battery life, etc. I'm in no rush to upgrade so don't mind waiting. I'm sure there will be an update in the not-so-distant future.

You just have to let people know what you plan to use it for. I like the Windows 8.1 tablets because I like split screen multitasking way too much to give it up. I use it quite often, and it's hard to give up once you're used to it. If you're looking at a tablet primarily for gaming/entertainment, you may want to look at an iPad.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

me your dad posted:

I'm looking into a Windows tablet for work. Right now it's between the Samsung ATIV 3 and the Dell Venue 11 Pro. From what I read, the Venue 11 Pro may be the better buy.

What I want:

Keyboard accessory
Decent battery life
Fast processor

Any thoughts? Are there any alternatives I should consider? My budget is about $750, which unfortunately excludes the Surface Pro 2.

Dell Venue Pro 11's CPU is 2x the speed of the Samsung.

Surface Pro 1 is on clearance for $599, but 3-5 hours of battery life may not be enough for you it sounds.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Guigui posted:

Just wondering if some posters here have some recommendatinos:

Looking to purchase a tablet for a family member as a new-years eve present; however, after showing said family member around various tablets, they came down with the following.

- They prefer an 8 inch tablet. 7 inches are too small, and 10 inches are a little too large. That unfortunately knocks out the Nexus 7.
- They would like the option to plug in their SSd card (or micro SSD) in order to view pictures they take on their mobile camera... This would, unfortunately, knock the Ipad Mini out of contention.
- They are not all that computer savvy, and live a fair distance away so I won't be able to troubleshoot much; so a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 3, based on reviews from fellow goons, isn't their friendliest around.
- They already have their own desktop and Laptop which I've set up for them, so this tablet would just be an accessory.
- The option of a French-language OS would be a plus, but not a necessity.
- This family member would use it for more basic functions - not as an e-reader, but as a tool to use during a Canada-wide travel trek.

- Our budget would be (at most) $400 and lower.
- This is for prices in the Quebec, Canada area.

Any interesting suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks for your help!

You could get them something like the Dell Venue Pro 8.

-Has Micro SD card and an actual file explorer (if they're used to a computer)
-Can setup Windows to be as easy as favorite apps on the start screen/can set up remote desktop so you could always log in for them worst case scenario, instead of trying to talk to them over the phone.
-Can enable French

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Beautiful Princess posted:

I currently own a HTC One and love my phone but I'm looking at getting a tablet and I want a 10" tablet. It seems that apple is the only name in larger tablets and has the better apps anyways. Is it really that bad owning devices that are on different operating systems? I'm not particular in terms of which OS I use.

Depends on what services you're tied into. I use a Windows Phone, have a Surface RT, a Windows 8 desktop, and I have an iPad air. The iPad is literally only for games; I really hate iOS as a tablet operating system, but as a games portal it is great.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Beautiful Princess posted:

Well I would mostly use it for consuming media, watching netflix, reading the internet and comics, and maybe playing games. I tend to look down on tablet gaming but maybe its not as bad as I think it is.
Why is iOS so bad for tablets? Sounds like you are a true windows fan.

Tablet gaming can be kind of ridiculous, but there are some pretty cool things on the app store. I like to play old school Final Fantasy and stuff. Just depends on what you want to use it for. Really any tablet will be fine based on your needs, Android as well.

As for iOS, just personal preference. Navigation in iOS is clunkier compared to Windows.

1st AD posted:

iOS is great for tablet usage and the app ecosystem is very mature.

Of course the app ecosystem is mature after 5 years, but I said I don't like the actual OS and prefer navigation in Windows 8. No reason to get defensive.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

randyest posted:

How is tablet windows 8 different from desktop windows 8, if at all? Also how is it less "clunky" than iOS? I'm genuinely curious as I've used both and can't imagine what you mean.

It's just a general preference. If I were rating a tablet OS on just general feel of the OS and UI, I'd go: webOS, Windows 8, Android, iOS

Windows 8 things I like:
Swiping between apps is better
Can close an app from an app in one motion. Maybe I just don't know how on iOS? Double tap home button, swipe up = clunkier than Windows 8
Built in apps are better/more variety
Side gestures are awesome
I miss live tiles and being able to pin most anything to home
Different user accounts on one device
Bing search is awesome

iPad things I like:
Notification center
Better app store/better 3rd party apps
App store's layout/organization is tremendously better than Windows 8
Good hardware

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

randyest posted:

Thanks for the reply! I can see some one those, but I have a few questions if you don't mind:

How does it work? In iOS it's 4-finger swipe left or right to switch between apps.
-On Windows 8, it's swipe from the left of the screen bezel inwards for next app, swipe back towards the left for a list of all your apps.

iOS is just click the home button and done. How is it done in win8?
-Closing an app, killing it completely, is one swipe down from the top of the screen to the bottom on Windows 8.

Like browsers and mail or.... ?
-Travel, finance, food, health, etc.

What do they do?
-Side gestures: General navigation. Options swipe up, multitasking we talked about, settings from the right side, etc. More natural feeling than clicking a tiny button in an app.

Except for bing (lol) which is usable on any OS via the browser I can see these as weaknesses of iOS if you like them.
-I didn't mean Bing.com, I meant the app, which is awesome. Just start typing from the start screen or swipe to the side, and you get results like this:

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

If you're actively killing apps on a tablet, you're downloading bad apps. iOS, Windows, and Android are all very good at managing memory.

More the fact I hate seeing 15 cards in iOS when I'm trying to multitask. I understand you don't need to actively kill apps. But a lot of people have a habit of doing it, or just want a "clean slate"

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Can we just agree that you can like Windows all that you like, if someone asks about it you can tell them why it is so cool, and otherwise you can stop with the windows poo poo?

Absolutely. This thread is incredibly toxic, considering I mentioned a few reasons for enjoying Windows 8 (while also complimenting various aspects of iOS) and I'm now considered autistic. Lot of keyboard warriors in here defending their precious tablets.

This thread should really just be renamed "Get an iPad"

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Argyle posted:

Note to those looking at Windows tablets, or who want a "laptop replacement" tablet: I picked up a refurbished Surface Pro for $399, and it really can't be beat for the price. It's definitely thick and heavy for a tablet, which is fine by me because my tablet "needs" are mostly just idle web browsing on the couch and showing stupid YouTube videos to my friends. It's biggest strength is becoming a laptop when you need it to. Click on a keyboard and you have an ultraportable i5 Windows machine.

I'm surprised at how much I'm loving it, and I'm discovering new things about it all the time. Xbox Music is actually amazing -- it's a streaming music streaming service like Spotify Premium or Play Music All Access, but free. And even though I've never been an artist in any sense of the word, I really really enjoy playing with the Fresh Paint app with the stylus. I'm a terrible artist but the Wacom surface and stylus are so fun to use that it makes me want to get better at it.

The battery life isn't the best out of the box (~4-6 hours, tops), but the Power Keyboard almost doubles that. It's a little thicker and heavier than I'd like, but I'm really only using it in "laptop mode" anyway, so it's a bit of a non-issue for me.

Also, touch-enabled Civ V is just... just the best.

Today I'm going to plug it into my TV and try Steam in-home streaming. God I love this thing.

edit: for further discussion, check out the Windows 8.1 Tablet thread

InspirARTion is a really fun app too if you like dicking around drawing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

I was thinking the same, just need a random person on an internet message board make me be a man about it. Thanks.

Depending on the budget, Lenova Yoga 2 would be great. Make sure you get one with an SSD and not the 500gb hard drive model. Hit up a Best Buy to check one out.