Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I need a tablet

Is either IPX7 waterproof on its own, or (more likely) has a waterproof case
Charges via USB-C
7-10" display

Under $325, preferably under $200

I looked at the iPad Pro but they start at $800 and the case is another $80, and the non pro line uses the legacy lightning adapter still so that is out as USB-C is a hard requirement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

Usb-C was a hard req for me too and boy do I regret that

Pigeon holed into over priced garbage

If I could do it again I would just own an iPad :shrug:

The latest iPad Pros have USB-C, but the $800 price tag is a little hard to swallow as it's supposed to be a remote display for a $700 device. At that point I can just install a second hardwired device in my cockpit

Probably what I'll end up doing is pulling some old crappy Android tablets out of cold storage and use those for a year until the refurbished market for iPad Pro gets established and then buy in at that point

I think we even have an old first gen iPad floating around from my mother in law but I'm pretty loathe to introduce another cable type onto my boat. Charging cables only last about one year in saltwater environments.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

I use my own tablets for (ocean) boating

Legit wish I had just grabbed iPad then grabbed lightning cables off Slickdeals as needed

Mind you I don't even like iOS or anything :shrug:

Ok you may have convinced me then. How long have you been loving about with tablets on boats for?

Prepping to do a 100 mile costal passage with from San Francisco, and if that goes well, 400 mile ocean voyage, and then if that goes well we're headed to Hawaii next summer.

I bought a garbage class $100 10" Android tablet with GPS two years ago that can load navionics but has a frame rate of 0 unless you're actively pinch zooming in which case it mostly works but that's obviously not a permanent solution. Also its not waterproof and is probably best used as a boat anchor.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wait you don't have to root your Kindle to sideload Google app store? This changes everything.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Not current ones. I'd need to root my HDX7 only because it's old as gently caress.

Current ones you don't need to root.

You can even do it from the Kindle web browser. You don't even need to plug them into a computer. At least not last time I checked a tutorial a few months ago.

This is fantastic I've been looking for a tablet to mirror some stuff on my boat but it needs to be downloaded via the play app store. The kids edition comes with a two year break it and we'll replace it Warranty and big boat proof corner bumpers

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Walmart just announced a device like that for $100 today or yesterday

Edit: "Walmart onn 10.1"

Two Ns for a double dose of new netbook

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 23, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nomenclature posted:

while my batteries are 12V and 5V. USB-PD might be an option if I buy some power banks for it (but I was hoping not to need to spend much).

Usb-pd supports 12v input

Most everything is going to be usb-pd in a couple of years. We have a 12v cigarette lighter adapter for USB and usb-pd

In a pinch you can use usb-a to USB-C to charge things

That Walmart tablet is micro USB which for it's lifespan (2 years?) should be pretty universal but is limited to 5v

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

All phones and tablets do hardware video decoding so you should be fine for that. My either and I watched an entire season of game of thrones on the flight from Iceland to San Francisco on my lovely 7" first gen fire tablet so the newer ones can't be worse than that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the Walmart Onn 8 and 10" tablets are pretty fantastic value. Both models have SD card slot and come with modern Android 9 and performant for the price. The Onn 8 is like $65 which is a "buy now" price in my book

Also it has GPS, which is unheard of, even Amazon's fire tablets don't have GPS built in

If I'm going to be on the train/plane I carry my tablet with me to do light/medium reading, but most of the time it sits at home on the charger

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Len posted:

I dug my old Nexus 7 out of storage to leave in the kitchen as something to look up recipes on/play music on when in there. It doesn't want to turn on and it's been plugged in to charge for two days.

I know the sub-$50 Android tablets are garbage for real use but it would work fine for this purpose right?

You might want to check out the nest hub, it's designed for exactly this. It's about the same price and comes with a sturdy "built in stand". We have one (the Google home hub, before the nest rebranding) and my wife loves it for following along on recipies etc

https://store.google.com/product/google_nest_hub

Right now they're $79. Which is about what a tablet would cost. Also bonus it works with those cheap smart bulbs. It's a deep rabbit hole, we got the nest/Google home hub and two light bulbs, two weeks later we had a new Chromecast (to turn the TV on and off with voice), a home mini and 18 Philips hue lightbulbs and we don't use light switches any more.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amazon usually does roughly half off, give or take

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Any thoughts on the new Samsung tablets coming out? It's looking like nice but not for that price to me.

I don't know who would pay more than $250 for an android tablet at this point unless you live in a society where not only your phone, but also the tablet you use is a status indicator. I don' think the public knows/cares enough about the tablet market to really assign much value to a $700 tablet especially if it's not an Apple. Also Tablets sort of peaked in 2013 when the Nexus 7/Original iPad Air came out and nothing has really changed in the last 6 years with tablets so they all look the same at this point.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just buy the iPad

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tecnocrat posted:

For phones, I'm still Android through and through. But for tablets, Apple just kills it.

New thread title?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As much as I don't like buying an Amazon-branded tablet, they're cheap and dead reliable. We have a couple floating around in drawers from 5 years ago and they all still boot with reasonable battery life

And yeah I think they mostly gave up on the Amazon app store so you can sideload play store now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The big bezel pretty much guarantees that your screen will never crack if/when you drop it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thinkpad Yogas are generally really really good machines all around

Touchscreen laptops have kind of fallen out of favor ever since steve ballmer/windows 8 died but pinch zoom is pretty neat

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a 10.1" which is fine for reading books, but the few times I read comics on it, I wish it had been larger to better appreciate the details

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like the new iPad Air comes with a USB-C port, finally. You'll pay $599 for the privilege, which is $200 cheaper than the next model up, the iPad Pro

I guess even though the "Air" model in the laptop is the base model, in the iPad lineup, the Air sits above the "regular" iPad ($329) and also the "mini" model ($399)

I don't understand their pricing or naming scheme at all, but it looks like the iPad Air has the newest CPU, and a standard port, whereas the regular iPad and Mini have legacy CPU and legacy "lightning" connector, so unless you're really hurting for cash, you should look at the Air or Pro, as the lightning cable is definitely slowly being phased out now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I suspect that apple will trickle down USB-C to their lowest end devices over the next three years or so. The pro models got it... Last year?

Even the regular iPad now, I think, comes with a USB-C charger, with a USB-C to lightning cable, which seems deeply silly at that point

Everything in our house now is USB-C, except my wife's work issued iPhone, so we have a bunch of wireless charging pads scattered about the house for her and she stays topped off that way. There's one lightning cable, and that's in the "road trip" bag in the glove box of the car

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the iPad air 4 is the model to get, it has the modern a14 cpu so it should be supported for a very long time, plus it has USB-C charging, so the same cable you use to charge you phone, laptop, nintendo switch, etc, is the same cable you use for your tablet

I'm also waiting for them to release the drat thing

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We are in week two with the iPad tablet, as an Android user

Big plus is the new ipads use the same USB-C charging as my phone and all other devices. So no futzing about with stupid proprietary cables. Ipads don't really need accessories so the total vendor lock in is low.

We did get the $130 Apple pencil, and it's mostly worth it, except the text input in chrome sucks (for me) and the main app switching method, swiping up from the bottom, isn't supported by the pencil, which is really irritating, because everything else is supported

The apps seem to be mostly the same as Android, just less broken (on average)

Reading the news on the iPad with the pencil is a really luxurious experience

We probably would have gotten a cheaper ipad model if they also came with USB-C, but only the pro and air have it right now (we got the air). I may order an ipad mini for my own personal use when they release a model with USB-C in the future

What surprised me was that all the iPad video apps (Amazon, Netflix, hbo, umm that one that starts with an S, etc) all support for Chromecast to my tv, so it's made an awesome "remote control" for the tv. I was up late last night on baby duty and catching up on season three of Rick and Morty via the iPad streaming to the tv via chromecast. I knew ipad would work with whatever Apple calls their apple TV these days, I didn't expect it to flawlessly with with Chromecast was well

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fire/Fire HD are a reliable recommendation because they're supported by Amazon for more than 3 months after release, which is way better than pretty much any other tablet including those from Samsung and Lenovo, and YES you can install stuff from the Google play store on them

Otherwise I would just find the cheapest refurbished ipad on eBay that's newer than 3 years old

I'm a quasi Android die hard and even I'll admit Apple makes the superior tablet. Other than a couple of non-intuitive gestures, the iPad is about as easy to use as an Android

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unfortunately there's a lot of niche purposes where you only want a touch screen display and no keyboard, so tablets are sort of here to stay

I can't find it right now but there's a tweet floating around of ~50 ipads on tripods in a storage room to be used as video conferencing things so covid patients can grimly look at their family/next of kin while they are on a ventilator

Could you do that with a chromebook? I guess, but sanitizing a keyboard is neigh impossible even with those silicone mats that make it impossible to type

Tablets also make great instrument read out devices for all sorts of things, including sailboats

Don't get me wrong Chromebooks are awesome, especially for students and grandparents, I have one and love that it maintains itself. It's just that tablets are here to stay

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would just order her a 15" touchscreen chromebook. They're like $199 for last year's model that's not touch screen

If she says she wants a laptop, I wouldn't try and second guess what she actually needs. Old people hate change and maybe she wants a keyboard like she's used to

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I spun up a seperate gmail account for my ipad the other day. It's pretty straightforward. You can setup Gmail forwarding to her old email address pretty easy. Worst case scenario she hates the Chromebook and she has a backup to her tablet

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lenovo Yoga Tab has an integrated stand with a hole in it that allows you to hang out in the wall. If you Google "Lenovo yoga Tab kitchen" there is a couple of good examples. I'm not sure if that's worth the $100 Premium

Another thing to look at, which is what we have in our kitchen, is an $89 nest hub which is basically a limited 5" kitchen tablet

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amazon has a kid friendly tablet that comes with a "if you break it, we'll replace it" guarantee, or they did, haven't looked into it recently

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I loving hate iOS but my primary tablet is the current gen ipad air

My android tablet is collecting dust on a bookshelf somewhere

It's really really hard to justify an android tablet unless you're fuckkin' desperate, and a chromebook isn't a better option for whatever reason

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The new iPad mini comes with a USB-C charging port @ $499

That's suddenly a very good option. We might pick up one for the boat as a wireless chart plotter for the boat. We already have a USB-C iPad air for the house, but it's too big to use in a busy cockpit

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

crepeface posted:

My mum is currently using an 2015 12.9" iPad Pro and is looking for an upgrade. I think she wants the big screen, is the right move just to get the newest big boy iPad Pro? Or is the regular iPad that was just updated better (assuming she'll be okay with a smaller screen). She mostly just uses it for content consumption.

Is there any reason she wants a newer one, or does she just want a replacement? Looking at the spec sheet it's still slightly better than my 2020 ipad air and it's already pretty speedy, and the 2015 pro still gets iOS updates

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think every current gen iPad except the "standard" 10.1, at this point, all have USB-C ports now, so unless you have a really specific app that's only on android you probably won't notice that it's an apple device since all the cables are the same for charging now. You can get chrome, netflix, hulu, prime, kindle e-reader etc on ipad so you're probably not going to notice a huge difference.

I loathe apple mobile devices and that stupid lightning connector, but a USB-C iPad is a great device even for a PC/Android user

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah we bought an iPad air 4th gen when they came out fall of 2020. All the new ipads have USB-C charging so it's not as big a deal that it's an apple product. It's great build quality and lightning fast, a refurbished model will save you a ton of money. I hate apple products but iPad is king

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

If iPads supported microSD or even any kind of expandable storage at all they’d be perfect tablets.

Yeah as pointed out, with the USB-C models you can just get a generic USB-C to micro SD adapter, alternatively you can get a micro USBC thumb drive, picked this $20 version at random

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MUF-128AB-AM-Plus-128GB/dp/B07D7PDLXC/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You need to join/create a private digital library, my friend

Me and like three other meatspace people have a SFTP server + calibre server

Pull that poo poo right down to local storage either via browser or inside calibre

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Is this also the thread to recommend a laptop bag to hold the laptop I just bought?

Sure why not. I think you might be the first person to ever suggest that in this thread, amazingly

I have been using variations of the amazon basics gray/charcoal felt sleeves for uh, 7 years now? Going on 8? That prevents lint and cookie crumbs from filling the ports/vents on my laptop, and prevents scratches which is really all you need. The seams provide the barest of drop protection.

If you need anything more than that, IMO, you bought the wrong laptop

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Inch-Macbook-Laptop-Sleeve/dp/B013TGFTDY

They're usually like $15-20 and come in at least three sizes, 11ish inches (chromebook), 13ish inches (13.3" macbook pro) and 15ish inches (15-16" macbook pro)

Targus and Swissgear dedicated bags still exist but business class laptops are so durable these days it's not really worth buying a whole specialized bag just for your laptop

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're in a :homebrew: mood, I think Lenovo just released some (more?) flexible tablets (but with a keyboard, so it's a :airquote: laptop in their Thinkpad line

https://www.pocket-lint.com/laptops/reviews/lenovo/162501-lenovo-thinkpad-x1-fold-2022-review

I guess they released one in 2020 but I literally never heard of it before, despite being a thinkpad, maybe they hired a PR company worth two shits this time around

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dexo posted:

Most of the chromebooks I've seen are thicker than what I want .

Any Reccs on a thin one?

There's actually a dedicated chromebook thread, although I can't find it at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

Need to buy an Android tablet for the locksmith at work. It needs to have the latest version of Android, be good for at least a few years of security patches, be cheap, have good battery life, and be durable. We were looking at the Galaxy A7 Lite; is there a better option?

Tablets usually are released with a 1-2 year old OS and never get a single security update. I wish I were joking. Good luck