Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

gariig posted:

Sony Xperia Z? I would just buy as 32GB tablet and call it done.

A friend of mine has one of those and a really sleek looking red cover. We benched it versus a bunch of other tablets and it was steadily beaten by the N7 2013 pretty frequently (by small margins) but at half the cost. If you need a "water resistant" tablet its a good buy, and the screen looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Xperia Tablet Z has the same SoC and resolution as the 2013 Nexus 7 so they should perform about the same. The Z gets you Micro SD, waterproofing and 3 extra inches for double the price.

The 2013 Nexus 10 is running out of time to show up.

The n7 2013 benches better, and this may be why.

Wikipedia posted:

The Nexus 7 (ASUS-1A008A) is both thinner and lighter than its predecessor. It is manufactured by Asus, and comes with a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064–1AA SoC, (1.5 GHz quad-core Krait 300 and an Adreno 320 GPU). The new Nexus 7's SoC is believed to be a variation of Qualcomm's Snapdragon 600 processor (Branded as "S4 Pro") underclocked to 1.5 GHz.

Its a good tablet if you need water resistance, but if you are going for speed its not the fastest horse on the track.

EDIT: If you want a 10 inch wait on the N10 2013 and see how it holds up.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

waffle posted:

The big downside for Larrymer is that the T100's screen is not great and it is really low resolution (which is a big downside for videos). For 10", the pickings are very slim at that price point, though, so it would be a fine choice given the alternatives. If you want something smaller, the Nexus 7 has a fantastic screen and the 32GB one is in your price range.

I own a Nexus 7 and a T100, the T100 is okay but I can't recommend it to anyone other than someone that wants a netbook replacement that can double as a bad tablet. The screen is awful and its just not that powerful. Whats the point of having a device that is bad at running the programs designed for its architecture? For the same 400$ you can get a near top of the line android tablet, or a refurb ipad. I also wouldn't recommend the Nexus 7 to Larrymer due to the lack of SD slot. Its great for streaming but really doesn't have enough space for local videos.

My current everything tablet is a Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 2014 edition. I like the stylus support and the thing just feels great. Too bad its way to expensive for what it is, but I needed one for a test device.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

waffle posted:

Outside of the microSD thing, though, the N7 is amazing, and I similarly can't think of any tablets that even come close for video-watching for under $300.

Its the king of its price range (hardware and screen wise), and is an easy recommendation for anyone. The only time you have to remove it from the pool is when the user needs a MicroSD slot.

The Tegra Note 7 (various makers over the world) is 200$ for the 16GB version, which has an SD slot and a stylus. The only issue is the screen is pretty crap (easy to compare it to the 2012 Nexus 7, its the same res and has the same dull color), and the build quality varies.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

1st AD posted:

Slow as balls, screen may constantly redraw in certain memory intensive apps like Facebook

Two of my friends have these, 1 is stock the other runs Cyanogenmod. Both of them randomly reboot and they are both slow as balls. But hey they can play Dungeon Hunter 4 on Medium at like 20FPS so thats something right? Don't buy a Nook HD+.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

waffle posted:

The Galaxy Note gets poo poo on because of TouchWiz and because they're overpriced for what they are. If you're looking at the 2014 edition it's pretty good if you're willing to pay for it and you don't hate TouchWiz. I would just try it out, and if you like it, get it, regardless of what most of the advice here says.

I put nova launcher on mine and it works pretty good. TouchWiz blows, but the hardware in the 2014 edition is pretty solid (but like 20% over priced).

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

waffle posted:

I don't get why some of you all don't want Win8 to be mentioned in this thread. It's nowhere close to Android or iOS for the needs of most people who want a tablet for casual use, but there is actually a sizable niche I think it fills, for people who basically want laptop functionality in a tablet form factor, and don't care too much about most of the typical advantages of Android/iOS. Generally these are people who want it for work-related things rather than for the home, which is different from most tablet users, but these people definitely exist.

This is one of the reasons I bought an Asus t100 Transformer book. The issue is that its never been used for work because the on screen keyboard is terrible for doing work, the keyboard dock isn't as good as a desktop keyboard (or even a mid range budget laptops keyboard) and the resolution is just too poor for any real work. Maybe I am a complete elitist, but I can't imagine using windows in less than 1920x1080 anymore.

I heavily suggest trying a windows tablet before buying it. Really pick one up and use it, and really weigh the pros and cons. Even the good ones are not the best value if you already have a desktop/laptop and an iOS/android device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

Lamebot posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Tegra Note 7? The compute specs and secondary features look really attractive at 200 bucks.

Feels a little cheaply made, and the screen is pretty low teir but the stylus works pretty good for 200 bucks. I routinely see it 20 dollars off on newegg sales, so you might want to snag one at 180.

Its a good tablet for 200 bucks if you want a stylus, but if you want to read or watch media (or even want better web browsing) then just spring the extra for the 2013 nexus 7 or wait on the rumored Nexus 8 and hope its cheap.