Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Rent posted:

I wouldn't dismiss Microsoft so easily. I can't tell you the number of people who want a tablet, but have never used one and don't know the limitations. When they find out it's essentially a larger version of their phone, they are let down. People take for granted simple stuff, like multiple apps side by side, because they've been told tablets are these amazing devices that do everything.

Windows 8.1 tablets are really nice. The new Baytrail tablets come with Office, half of them have docks of various types, and are full computers at really good prices. Your main limitation is a small app store, but you do have x86 backwards compatibility.

While I won't say they're fit everyone's role, if you're doing the basics: banking, surfing, YouTube, social media, even some light documents for school/work, they really fit the bill and are very affordable (Surface Pro 2, withstanding).

Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft.

The thing you're missing is that if someone only wants the basics, iOS and Android have been good at those for a while now, and if someone wants something more advanced, iOS and Android have far more options that are actually customized for a tablet-sized touch screen. I have a Transformer T100 and really like it, but it's a convertible because it needs to be. Doing all that nice advanced Windows stuff more or less requires a mouse and keyboard (and this includes Office), and the basic Metro Modern UI stuff is about on par with what Google and Apple are offering, only with a vastly more anemic app selection. I wanted a small, low-power computer with great battery life and I got it, the tablet stuff is a fantastic bonus but it's not on par with the competition outside of basic web browsing and such. There's just too many apps missing right now.

And having two separate environments for applications with completely different UIs and functionality remains a goddamn nightmare for casual consumer use. iOS and Android absolutely wipe the floor with Windows 8.1 here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Rent posted:

-snip-

This is all rendered moot by the fact that Android and iOS just have far more apps tailored to touch screens and built specifically with the limitations of their hardware in mind. Windows 8.1's touch interface might theoretically be better and more powerful than iOS, but who cares when iOS is the one that has all the best apps? You can say it's "just a large phone," but that doesn't change the massive and ever-increasing number of apps designed for professionals in all kinds of fields, from medicine to music production. Calling an iPad "just a large phone" ignores just how advanced phone OSes have gotten, and it also ignores the realities of modern app development entirely. The Windows store just can't compete, at least not without going into the desktop, adding a mouse and keyboard, and essentially just using a laptop with a screen that can come off (which is mostly how I use mine).

Windows 8.1 is a great platform, but so was webOS. Until more apps come out its use for pure tablets will always be limited.

It's a hell of an OS for 2-in-1s though.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 6, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

git clone trooper posted:

Why should someone buy a windows tablet over a nexus or ipad with a keyboard case?

Laptops still exist for a reason, and most Windows tablets are just laptops with removable screens.

I don't quite get the appeal of 8-inch Windows tablets though.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Christoff posted:

Right, ipads are nice. But the prices are absolutely insane for anything with more than 16-32gb so I'm not sure how you can compare with the lack of expandable memory. Age old arguments, I know.

Because most people don't need that much space for how they use their tablets, and the other benefits of the iPads make up for it for them.

Really, it's hard to recommend whether something is going to work for you or not without knowing what you're looking for and what you're going to use it for. Rather than having to figure it out post-by-post, why not just specify? Why are you looking at the TF701, what do you need, what do you want, and what are you going to be using it for?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MikeJF posted:

They're still in the iffy stage of acceptance but they've had two dramatic improvements lately - bay trail processors have brought the price of full x86 Windows 8 tablets that can run any old program down to similar price to Android devices, and Windows 8.1 has solved a lot of the original stupidity of Windows 8.

More important than lowering the price, Bay Trail processors are the first Atom processors that don't suck when it comes to power. They won't blow you away or anything, but they're totally capable of running standard Windows programs without feeling really compromised.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Armor-Piercing posted:

Is 1080p+ really that important on a tablet, especially <10"? Serious question, as the only 1080p screen I've ever used is the 21.5" monitor I'm typing this on. This is 102 ppi, and most of the 8" Windows 8 tablets are 1200x800, 180 ppi. I've used a first-gen ipad mini (162 ppi) briefly but I thought it looked pretty good. Without having seen the second-gen ipad mini, the idea of a 7.9" screen having a 2048x1536 resolution just sounds ridiculous to me.

It makes everything look much, much crisper, and is a godsend for smaller text, PDFs, or just browsing a somewhat cluttered site in portrait mode. It's like the jump from 480p to 1080p in that it's easiest to notice the difference after you've made the change and then try to go back.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Good high-res 10" tablets are all around the same price ($500), so there's really not an Apple tax here.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Squinty Applebottom posted:

Oh no what will I do without the 99% of garbage that exists in the ios and play stores.

If the ratio of good to filler bothers you on iOS and Android, then boy do I have some bad news about Amazon's app store.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Aleph Null posted:

Is there any logical reason for the new Nexus tablet to be 4:3 instead of 16:9?

Because 4:3 is comfortable in either orientation. 16:9 held vertically is fine on a smaller screen, but on a larger one it gets awkwardly top-heavy pretty fast (and it becomes more difficult to hold in one hand horizontally). And while widescreen monitors make sense on desktops and laptops because they allow for multiple windows next to each other at once, that's not an issue with an OS that only shows one running app at a time. The only real downside is that it's worse for video.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Aleph Null posted:

I always assumed wide-screen was the way of the future.

4:3 is a much more adaptable aspect ratio for a device that can be used vertically or horizontally. It's almost never too narrow or too short for most applications like 16:9 can be, and it's far better for things like PDFs since paper tends to be much closer to 4:3 than 16:9. For something like a tablet that's mostly used for reading, it's a great choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Appletax still exists for some of their products, but I don't know how you could say it applies to the base iPad in 2018. There's really no competition for it at this point at $330, everything better is far more expensive and everything else in the same price range is far worse.