Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Of course I missed this thread entirely because someone forgot to link it in the old thread before it was locked. t:mad:

Dementedghost posted:

Edit: Nevermind, 6updater only installed half the mods for some reason.

Yeah it does that occasionally. It's just a thing it does.

Chillyrabbit posted:

maybe I won't frag half of us throwing one through the trees now.

That I doubt. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Chillyrabbit posted:

I was just looking at some of shacktac mods since I figured they would be cool.

Do we have this on the server? Autobrightness map

Or is it a different mod that turns our maps to pitch black when its night?

We had it, but ACE added the same feature a couple of patches ago which caused the maps brightness to change a bit too much.
Even if I think I preferred the ST one over the ACE one. Less neon puke green when you have night vision on.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Would there possibly be any interest in us trying out either the Project 85 or Cold War Rearmed mods?
CWA does have the bonus of having a bunch of missions to it.

Of course none of them allow ACE which is a bit of a niggle.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

You guys need to record some more videos.

I'll try to be around for today's session but I will be a bit late

I sorta lost the urge to stream when I discovered twitch had deleted all the stuff for the past few months due to their changes to archiving.
That and we honestly didn't have that many great sessions either.

Also I think the Teamspeak server just went poof.
Good thing it was just me and Duckfoot waiting in the channel.

Edit:
It's back up again.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 27, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

In hindsight I regret not having OBS run when we did the british mission last weekend as it was pretty much a near perfect run of a mission that we've had in ages and I think that would've been great to show off instead of just silly mishaps.

Edit, and then there is sessions like today that reminds why I don't bother recording. :sigh:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 1, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dementedghost posted:

(If I'm even invited back)

Of course you are. No one has said anything to the contrary regarding that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

HoratioRash posted:

What did I miss?

Nothing really, was just one of those really meh sessions where barely anything got accomplished mostly due to shoddy missions.
Or in the case of Caribou, ridiculous AI.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

This is why I wish Arma 2 had the grenade throwing arch line that VBS2 apparently has. Same with grenade launchers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sooo, A-10 for Arma 3 in the works. One step closer I'd say.
Also Harrier and Cobra is getting worked on as well.

Now we're just missing all of the rest of the stuff. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Elth posted:

Well, I always wanted to try ACE and I'm tired of waiting for an Arma3 version. I have a few questions though.

At roughly what time do sessions start and end?

13:00 PST for Saturday sessions, somewhere around 8 or 9 the same time zone for Wednesday sessions. Check with the timekeeper for more exact info.
As for how long we tend to play it really depends on the willpower of the people playing (and the mission quality) sometimes we can keep going for six+ hours, other times it's somewhere between four or five hours.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sloane posted:

One thing a lot of people don't seem to know is that tree branches will stop both thrown grenades and underslung grenade launcher rounds which often means shrapnel raining down on teammates.

Which is what started Chillyrabbit's infamous run with grenades. So far he has managed to cause more damage to his own team than the enemy with shrapnel. :v:

Also I have nothing against parachutes. :colbert:
I'm just generally bad at judging the correct time to pull the cord. The few times we've had parachute missions.

We should also get more missions where we fast rope. Or just use fast rope a lot more often instead of landing. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well let's hope Brainbot shows up sooner or later so we can actually play those missions. :v:

Also, BIS still has a 80% off Sale on Arma 2 so if you want non-blurry PMC and Brits I suggest now is the time to get them.
The fact that some of those weapon still suck can't be fixed though. But they'll look good.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SIXUpdater should handle the beta patch installs for you. Oh and you need Combined Operations as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Squido posted:

Isn't combined operations just A2 and OA together in one purchase though?

Both, An A2 +OA install is also called Combined Operations.

BrainBot posted:

Yeah, yeah I've got a list of what needs to be uploaded. Has the beta patch hit six yet or is it sill a manual install?

He lives! :woop:
Just checked with SIXU, still a manual install.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Elth posted:

When do people usually start showing up in Teamspeak before the event?

Most people tend to drop in 10 to 30 minutes before or after the allotted time. Varies really.
I personally just tend to jump on and mute myself a couple of hours before so I don't forget. v:v:v

We should almost whip up another one of those Empty missions again for training and testing and faffing around purposes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dementedghost posted:

But I don't know if its squinting to see the small mans or all the motion blur, but this game hurts my eyes like nothing else.

Might be the motion blur, although if you squint to see stuff you might have some other issues.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Elth posted:

I think the highlight of the night for me was the Hostage Crisis mission. High-fives and ice cream for everyone! (except BLUFOR)

Well neither for the OPFOR since the Neo lost the cash. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

According to the latest (and last for this year) Arma 3 SITREP the Stand-alone dedicated server client comes out tomorrow, which includes a Linux version something we've brought up before that we would probably need.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

We need a mission with nothing but tractors and explosions! :torgue:

If we actually had CWR2 I have the perfect mission with that. :v:
For shits and giggles I might just download CWR2 and see if I can't fix up that mission up Arma 2 standards. Shouldn't be that hard.

Dr Snofeld posted:

ShackTac videos like the one from the LP piqued my interest in Arma 2 - which I got a while back with the intention of playing DayZ - but after futzing around with the Armoury for a while I think my competence in milsims is slim to none. Unless people make training missions or anything like that, I'll have to content myself with watching videos. I hope you guys record.

As mentioned before I did have a stream running for all our sessions and I have a YT Channel collecting most of the videos that we've made of various things that has happened. But then I lost a whole bunch of sessions worth of material due to twitch archive settings and I stopped bothering. Should probably try to restart that again now that we've gotten into a decent run of things.
Shame about the quality really but my machine can't really handle streaming it at 720p nor record with MSI afterburner and play at the same time.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 10, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image

And this is what you come across when you happen to log onto the server when the mission hasn't apparently been reset

Of course, playing Roadblock on your own can lead to certain mishaps

Gonna get a video up on that soon because the noise from that was nothing short of a roar of fire.

Edit: I'm the Firestarter, twisted Firestarter.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 11, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

Worst tour bus ever. :reject:

That was like the second of three buses filled with Insurgents that drove up to the Roadblock within a few minutes time. First one I managed to set on fire with three pretty decently thrown hand grenades while trying to frag the passengers. That's the one on the left side of the road.
The second one I blew up with a satchel, but it must've been loaded with something else because I had a massive second detonation that knocked me into unconsciousness for a minute or so and then I woke up to that.
I think I dropped some artillery the third one or something because I heard a second large detonation at some point after that and you can see the wreck on the second picture just a bit off to the left in the distance.

What I did discover was that the MCC Laser guided artillery is great and hits spot on the laser pretty much regardless of where you click on the map, and the Vector is actually a laser designator as well.
Also that Caribou comes with it's own music, one track being titled Poltergeist Attack. :v:

Now if only the Random combat module would work as it should on that mission. :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

It would be funny to have the bus drive up to a certain NATO held checkpoint that had a spot light and glow sticks all over the place.

Which should either be demolished by artillery or everybody is just dead.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

That would actually be a great way to start the mission. Have the bus drive up and stop just short of the reoadblock. They have scripted arty drop which pops tires on the bus and leaves dead GIs (and bloodsuckers) :ssh: all over the place.

We really do need more missions with Bloodsuckers. I mean god knows what kind of crazy stuff we might actually have in all those Namalsk files. :tinfoil:

Heck it could even be the most ridiculous cliché thing in style with "An elite squad sent into to deal with an insurgent stronghold finds something much worse!(!!!!!!!)"

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 13, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sloane posted:

Things happened after you left.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ_5R0uywMI

I've also uploaded one of our best zombie escapes, though it's been hit by the microphone track loss bug that I'm still trying to solve.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8SyFpk3hyY

Saw them earlier this week and they've been added them to the ACE Goons YT playlist.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So after having yet another Roadblock session, this time with the original version where nothing seems to really happen I threw together a "fixed" version of the 10 man one with all the original Roadblock scripts since they were completely missing from that file.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29015696/co10_roadblockduty_ace_v14_jip.Takistan.pbo
Maybe that will fix the mission and make it a bit more interesting again. I have no goddamn clue. v:v:v

Also today I discovered one of the more important admin commands by pure accident.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 15, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BrainBot posted:

Before I did I took a look at the pbo up on the server. It has all the same scripts and calls as the version you uploaded.

Oh. Guess that confirms that the version we have is a working one. Just wish I could figure out what is seemingly interfering with the ambient combat module.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

Edit: No ambient combat so far... Decent cars arriving so far... but thats it. Is there is any logging we can use for the scripts?

Yeah the pace of cars seems better in the JIP version than the original one for some reason.

Also have a totally pointless Arma 3 video I made with me shooting with the Anti-Mat rifles and the almost boner inducing noises a soundmod gives them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R8hfcRulhk
One step closer to being finished. :v:

Edit: Working with downloaded stream footage that's in flv is still really goddamn annoying. Just as a fyi.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 16, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So apparently there is a community driven project to upgrade A2+OA+DLC assets up to A3. How far this will actually go remains to be seen.

But someone has already started work on both the C-130 and the MV-22. :getin:

Also the AllinArma issue tracker is kinda hilarious to read.

Good news, I found that I do have some recordings of when Roadblock was extra weird. Not when it was THE weirdest but pretty weird.
Edit: Or it would've been great if I wasn't running into some serious desyncing issues with the extracted video after like 20 minutes. :bang: Might have found a solution.

Edit 2: In other news, JSRS 2.0 has been released for Arma3.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 16, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Don't fret. Nothing happens on Wednesdays anyway. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

Those Wed sessions are just rough. Middle of the work week and right in the middle of most US work hours.

Well I'm sure we'd have a bit more interesting time if Roadblock hadn't decided to once more be boring as all hell and then decide that it didn't even want to spawn in new cars after a while. :v:
So after a while it just ended up with us using MCC to make it interesting.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Elth posted:

By "interesting" he means "airdrop tons of mines and then spawn dozens of mechanized infantry"

Weeeell the mines was me and the mechanized infantry was Brainbot. I didn't even think the mines were released because I didn't hear anything until I checked the place later. But by that point no civilian car had spawned into the area for 30 to 60 minutes anyway so the only thing that got smoked by those were the convoys I spawned in later.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Elth posted:

I've never really been much on the Armaholics forums but do you think you'd be able to get an experienced mission maker to look at it? Or maybe ask in the main Arma 3 thread. I've never seen the full Roadblock experience and now I really want to. :v:

The mission actually has a thread on the BIS forums but there hasn't been any activity on that since June or so.
Once I get off work on friday I going to try my hardest to get the single Roadblock video that I managed to save from my twitch stream up on youtube just to show how it can actually be at times.
Same goes with the material for last weekend. Thankfully I noticed it wasn't as much of a bitch to deal with since it wasn't split in two halves.
See it a possible early Christmas gift. :cheeky:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I bring gifts.
Gifts in shape of a lot of videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_MppVe4o4&hd=1
First up, here is the Roadblock video as promised. Still miffed that I couldn't save the bloodsucker attacks at a later session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKXTq1PIwjo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCZn9fKUwM8
And here's two from the Desert Heat mission. I uploaded the first one just because I liked the small talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsdOgqIJASc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0bqY9A_QyU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37NFzyzQkqU
Here's some highlights from the Call of Vorkuta mission.
Really wish I could've made it into one video but as I've mentioned before, editing flvs is a pain in the rear end so I have to use a different way of getting the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJWKr5cSCJM
And finally we have a first in a (more or less) complete mission run of El Presidente. At first I wanted to just show the intro part but then I realized I might as well just upload the entire thing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23882

Oh helloooo, an ACE version of Escape Chernarus you say? Interesting.

quote:

• Language: English
  • Players Number (min/max): 1 till 8 players
  • ACE Wounds
  • ACRE optional
  • The radio is very rare (because of ACRE)
  • No revive
  • Units have random medicstuff
  • Some soldiers have backpacks
  • Crates with random medicstuff
  • Guard isn't shooting on unarmed soldiers
  • Some soldiers have backpacks
  • New parameter: Searchchopper

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AirborneNinja posted:

I came, I saw, I got lost.

I was never able to use any of the medical supplies I brought along, is that supposed to happen if you're not a medic?

Depends entirely on the map, some maps (including that one) has a module that restricts Epi and Morphine usage to medics only. Which I consider to be just really drat retarded.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AirborneNinja posted:

I couldn't use bandages even so I must have screwed up my install or something.

If you pass a certain threshold of damage (when your screen is flashing red rapidly) you will actually be unable to bandage yourself and need someone else to do it. Below that you should be able to.
If you couldn't actually do that below that threshold I'd say a reinstall is a good idea.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

I remembered finally that I have fraps and some drive space. I recorded a couple of movies but, nothing exciting or of note.

That is pretty much the summary of my recordings from this weekend session. Might just grab the Iced Pickles footages but I dunno as nothing really amazing got caught on camera for me.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So on a fluke I decided to take a peak in the Arma3 general thread on 4chan when I discovered this little thing:

It's for the Arma 3 version but it could work as a general radio guide for Arma 2 as well.

I may have linked this before but I discovered yesterday that I still had the old Arma 2 Goons Basic Guide on one of my external drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dementedghost posted:

I'm guessing I missed From Russia? I hope you guys got some recordings, I'll be missing next week too, but then the holidays are over for me.

Nah, We didn't play that because the updated version hasn't been uploaded and we didn't want to break the server or the game for anyone unlike last time.

What we did however have for our final session of 2013 was a Roadblock that actually kinda worked for a while like it should. Which was nice.
It was also one of the longest we've had as well clocking in at slightly over 9 hours and with a rather consistent player number as well.
I might put up some videos later of at least one of the more successful missions we did as the rest was rather... meh at times.

• Locked thread