Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

It is time for a new rocksmith OP and thread since the old one is way outdated.

Official site link: http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/home/index.aspx

When is it out?: Out NOW for PC/Mac/PS3 and Xbox 360

Demonstration video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDQ_U3lukAQ

What is Rocksmith, is this another plastic guitar game?: Rocksmith is more a guitar training tool with game elements where you plug in your real 6 string electric/electric acoustic or bass guitar and play the tabs for the songs. You are learning to play the actual song, not some game interpretation of it.

I never picked up a guitar in my life, can I learn to play with this game? Yes you can.

What kind of guitar do I need? Get a 6 string electric guitar. Electro acoustic guitars will also work but electric is recommended. Do NOT get a floyd rose guitar as your first/only guitar. If you don't know what that is/is unsure make sure the guitar you buy don't have a tremolo bar. Floyd rose and other variants make changing tuning hell. You want to be able to quickly change tunings when playing this game based on the song you are playing.

Is this game better compared to the old game?: YES. It is improved in every possible way from note detection to having more guitar tunings to way faster and better UI. Everyone who played it here loves it.

What is the track list?: http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/music/index.aspx

For a $10 fee you can also import your RS1 tracks to RS 2014. All DLC you bought for RS1 is forward compatible with RS 2014.

In short the game is amazing, and everyone who has any interest in playing Guitar and/or Bass should buy it.

Edit: Customs are out for RS2014. Check out the Smithy Anvil forums to download custom songs.

Edit 2: :siren: Explanation of all the note/chord/style types you encounter in the game. Courtesy of toymachine from NeoGaf:

http://imgur.com/a/vlxTS

Intonation 101 by Baka Kaba:

baka kaba posted:

People compare the 12th fret harmonic to the 12th fret note just because it's easier to spot any difference, since they're the same pitch. Same deal though - you're just comparing the intonation of the whole string (open or vibrating on a harmonic), to the intonation of a part of the string (fretting a note to make the vibrating part shorter)

Basically what happens is you have a string in tune, and you get other notes by subdividing the length of the string - a section this long on the A string will give you a D, that kind of thing. The 12th fret is a good example - it's halfway along the string, and halving the length of the string will give you the same note, except an octave higher. Playing the open A, and then the same string at the 12th fret, will give you another A, in tune, but an octave up (double the frequency, physics fans).

(This is what the 12th fret harmonic does - instead of the entire string waving up and down producing a note, you plonk your finger halfway along, which has the neat trick of making two waves, one either side of your finger, which created the dead point between them. So you get that higher A note from that half-the-string-length, double-the-frequency wave vibration)

Anyway that's all well and good, the issue is when fretting at the 12th fret doesn't halve the string length - depending on things like the string height and how much your finger has to pull the string down over the fret, the part that's left to vibrate might be a little longer or shorter than what it should be, which makes it flat (too long) or sharp (too short). This gets more pronounced the further you go up the neck - as the vibrating section gets shorter, the missing/extra length becomes a bigger and bigger fraction of the total length - and that length is what determines the note you get. The inaccuracy just snowballs.

So unless you're on most acoustic guitars, you probably have the thoughtful addition of some adjustable saddles that go forwards and back to let you tweak and compensate for the length disparity, letting you set up the strings and guitar the way you like without having to settle for bad intonation as a result. There are different bridges with different levels of adjustment - some with a saddle for every string, others in pairs or even with two pieces - but that's what they're about. It's a basic adjustment thing.

And that's why you intonate your guitar, kids

keyframe fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."
I'm hoping 2014's popularity in japan will lead to a Pillows DLC pack.

Because I am a huge nerd. And also because of Hybrid Rainbow.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I showed my buddy the game and he definitely wants to grab it. What's the best way to acquire all the stuff for PC? I heard people were picking up the cable by buying a console copy of the game for like $10. Is that still available anywhere?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Bedurndurn posted:

I showed my buddy the game and he definitely wants to grab it. What's the best way to acquire all the stuff for PC? I heard people were picking up the cable by buying a console copy of the game for like $10. Is that still available anywhere?

I bought mine new from ebgames which was the only local place that carried the PC version. It is totally viable to buy the cable dirt cheap from someone selling on craigslist and buy the game separately on steam or uplay.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

doyle-san posted:

I'm hoping 2014's popularity in japan will lead to a Pillows DLC pack.

Because I am a huge nerd. And also because of Hybrid Rainbow.

Maybe they will use decent recordings somehow too.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
60 day challenge website work yet?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The 5 Radiohead songs were just confirmed on Twitter. They are:

Creep
Karma Police
Just
Optimistic
My Iron Lung

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

Creep
Karma Police
Just
Optimistic
My Iron Lung

I've never wanted to download it for Mac more...

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Parkingtigers posted:

Creep
Karma Police
Just
Optimistic
My Iron Lung

My Iron Lung and Just are like, my two least favourite songs on any album from The Bends through to King of Limbs. Dammit it. They're probably fun to play on guitar though.

Karma Police and Optimistic though? :getin:

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

toymach1ne posted:

I've never wanted to download it for Mac more...

Hahaha, playing it on a Mac makes you feel like a real rock star!

Also, it plays great on my 2011 MBP.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Tarq posted:

Hahaha, playing it on a Mac makes you feel like a real rock star!

Also, it plays great on my 2011 MBP.

2008 Mac Pro:

Processor 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 6 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

Have a feeling it wouldn't run too well...

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

toymach1ne posted:

Why wouldn't it? It's not exactly graphics heavy, and what really ends up mattering is the quality of the audio drivers. Which are quite Okay on recent Mac OS X.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Creep
Karma Police
Just
Optimistic
My Iron Lung

Dammit I was really hoping for "Street Spirit"

Someone created a custom for the original game so hopefully it'll get ported over eventually.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
It's a safe bet that all these DLC artist packs are the result of them negotiating bulk deals on songs, putting one in the base game and saving the rest for DLC. Smashing Pumpkins, Iron Maiden, Radiohead, Green Day, Alice in Chains. We'll almost certainly see an Oasis pack soon, and possibly an REM one. What other big name groups in the game haven't had their turn? We could probably guess at likely candidates based on this pattern.

I don't care how pedestrian it makes my tastes, I still want a Bon Jovi pack, some Dire Straits, Thin Lizzy, and as much dad rock as they can get their hands on.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

It's a safe bet that all these DLC artist packs are the result of them negotiating bulk deals on songs, putting one in the base game and saving the rest for DLC. Smashing Pumpkins, Iron Maiden, Radiohead, Green Day, Alice in Chains. We'll almost certainly see an Oasis pack soon, and possibly an REM one. What other big name groups in the game haven't had their turn? We could probably guess at likely candidates based on this pattern.

I don't care how pedestrian it makes my tastes, I still want a Bon Jovi pack, some Dire Straits, Thin Lizzy, and as much dad rock as they can get their hands on.

I'm with you there. It's unforgivable that I can't play Doobie Brothers songs with my fake band.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

toymach1ne posted:

2008 Mac Pro:

It will run fine on that. Go gig out on your Macbook, it's awesome!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

toymach1ne posted:

2008 Mac Pro:

It runs fine on low on a 2011 Macbook Air so I think you'll be okay.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Mastodon and Slayer are two in-the-game-big-groups.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I gotta say, My Iron Lung is a decent fifth song. Optimistic is the only song there I was straight up HOPING for, but it's still a good selection. (barring Creep, of course. Not a BAD song, just overplayed.)

And at this point, my dream DLC would be a bonus artist songpack with more Sabaka, Playground Kings, Aching Head, and Disonaur. The bonus songs in Rocksmith 2012 were kinda mediocre, but in RS2014 they're the best songs in the game.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Mastodon and Slayer are two in-the-game-big-groups.

I have a feeling there will be a Slayer pack

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I want a Screaming Females pack but that's never gonna happen :(

Rotten Apple wasn't even in like the top 90% of songs by them I would wanna learn.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Not even a huge Radiohead fan but I think i'm gonna buy the whole pack, all these songs will be a ton of fun to play I'm sure.

R.E.M pack would be great, Peter Buck is an underrated guitarist.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

prom candy posted:

Not even a huge Radiohead fan but I think i'm gonna buy the whole pack, all these songs will be a ton of fun to play I'm sure.

R.E.M pack would be great, Peter Buck is an underrated guitarist.

Peter Buck inspired my playing and I used to spend hours learning REM song (and lyrics) the hard way sans internet. I would pay any sum of money for an REM pack.

I've gotten several friends into playing again thanks to this game. IMO the 2014 is a major step forward. If nothing else, no more annoying loading screens!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Day 6 of Rocksmith: Still haven't beat the first level of Castle Chordead. :v:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ever since I moved to my new apartment I feel like I haven't been improving much with my guitar playing, so it sounds like this may be the perfect way to keep improving my skills. Is it worth it to pick up the first game for cheap so I can buy the import of the songs?

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Mr E posted:

Is it worth it to pick up the first game for cheap so I can buy the import of the songs?

Yes, especially if it's a cheap way to get a cable. DLC is normally 3$ a song. The original game is 50 songs (150$ worth). Count out your profit, just need to add 10$ for the importer.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Mr E posted:

Ever since I moved to my new apartment I feel like I haven't been improving much with my guitar playing, so it sounds like this may be the perfect way to keep improving my skills. Is it worth it to pick up the first game for cheap so I can buy the import of the songs?

Yes, however I suspect the first game will go on Steam sale next week, so keep an eye out for that. If you add it to your wishlist, you'll get an email when it goes on sale.

Also, this game is great to get back into playing!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Mr E posted:

Yes! As previously stated, it's a great price per song so just treat it as a giant cheap DLC pack. Some fantastic songs in the first game, you definitely want them all. Even though there are some 2014 songs I really love, I still think the first game had a better playlist overall. Luckily we don't need to choose. It is amazing to have over 100 songs to choose from right off the bat.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If they are going to do a pack based of existing tracks then they need more of The Who. Like anything from quadrophenia would be awesome.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I'm disappointed the thread title isn't Rocksmith 2014: Play Temple of Bends.

Dr Leisure Suit
Sep 21, 2013
Here's a spotify playlist of the tracklist.
http://open.spotify.com/user/dr_leisuresuit/playlist/2IU3F6K4bs1BfbgdTJpzv7

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Has anyone here used Rocksmith to learn the very basic parts of guitar playing? I have been trying to learn things like chord changes for a while and have gotten nowhere at all with it, and I don't have the money for a teacher.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cannot Find Server posted:

Has anyone here used Rocksmith to learn the very basic parts of guitar playing? I have been trying to learn things like chord changes for a while and have gotten nowhere at all with it, and I don't have the money for a teacher.

I had almost no guitar playing talent before Rocksmith, and in about 5 short weeks of playing about an hour a day I've already 100%'ed my first song.

If you're dedicated to learning, it's a fantastic tool.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cannot Find Server posted:

We mentioned it a couple of times in the previous thread, but http://www.justinguitar.com/ is an amazing resource for beginners. Head over to the Beginner's Course and just do the lessons alongside Rocksmith and you'll do fine.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Just remember that you won't be a ~real musician~ with true guitarist cred unless you've struggled endlessly with your craft.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I took my guitar (Strat Squier) to the shop last week to have the strings changed (I'm a newbie and it was only $10 so I thought it was worth it) and now my low E and A strings buzz like crazy.

Is there an easy way to correct that or should I haul it back in before I snap the neck trying to adjust poo poo I don't know anything about?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I started out with zero experience and had fun for a while, but then got muddled up in the babby's first single string arrangements when the chords started appearing. I've started going through the justinguitar.com stuff recommended in the previous thread and it's definitely been a good idea for me. Better to learn good habits and then apply them in the game.

This being the internet, I'm sure someone has aced Blood & Thunder after two weeks of practice and no previous experience, but I've already discovered that my natural aptitude is quite limited.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Exodor posted:

I took my guitar (Strat Squier) to the shop last week to have the strings changed (I'm a newbie and it was only $10 so I thought it was worth it) and now my low E and A strings buzz like crazy.

Is there an easy way to correct that or should I haul it back in before I snap the neck trying to adjust poo poo I don't know anything about?

They probably lowered your action. If you can't hear it through the amp ignore it, the better playability is worth it.

Tony posted some Amazon deals and they seem to have Rocksmiths on sale the next weekend. 29th I believe to be precise.
Digital games, 2012 for 7.5$ and 2014 for 40$.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rated PG-34 posted:

Just remember that you won't be a ~real musician~ with true guitarist cred unless you've struggled endlessly with your craft.

Hah, I've actually gotten this from a couple guitarist friends of mine. I had just started out and was slowly making my way through the basic chords, dreading F, and when I told them they were all "No, you have to use thick string gauges and start with barre chords and just play them until they sound right, you're not suffering right.

Wankers.

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I started out with zero experience and had fun for a while, but then got muddled up in the babby's first single string arrangements when the chords started appearing. I've started going through the justinguitar.com stuff recommended in the previous thread and it's definitely been a good idea for me. Better to learn good habits and then apply them in the game.

I found it really useful to grab my guitar, do Justin's recommended practice session for the stage I was at, and once I finished I would just fire up Rocksmith and gently caress around with it for an hour or two, that way you learn with instruction (Justin's really good, but there's no replacement for a proper teacher), and then you can feel like you're playing full songs with RS.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So i bought the Radiohead and B'z packs, uPlay downloaded an update, and now suddenly the note recognition took a loving nosedive, especially on the E string, and the volume of my bass keeps... fluctuating or something, like it'll suddenly be really quiet for a while and then go back to normal. I haven't done anything weird with my bass since i last played it yesterday, and it's tuned properly and all. Is anyone else suddenly having problems?

e: Also, they cut out the little bass riff at the end of Optimistic. :(