Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
On Amazon the PS3/360 versions are $49.99 with the cable. Better grab it at the price, wasn't that low a week ago.

edit: Best Buy has every version on sale for $49.99 with the cable.

$50 off an electric guitar if you buy Rocksmith as well. :shrug:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat313700050010&type=category&h=403

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

keyframe posted:

Preach it brother. I will buy any and every CCR song they release.

I hope you like open chords!

I guess Grapevine would be a good challenge.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I want Springsteen and Neil Young tracks. Basically I want more stuff I could jam with my dad on since hes been playing for 40+ years.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

JHVH-1 posted:

I want Springsteen and Neil Young tracks. Basically I want more stuff I could jam with my dad on since hes been playing for 40+ years.

Neil Young was supposed to be in the first game, been waiting for a track from him

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Does anyone here have experience with the Epiphone Les Paul Junior that comes with the guitar, game, and cable pack? Most reviews seem to think it's decent enough for what it is. I was considering going with that package just to save myself some work in having to get a guitar from another source.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PaganGoatPants posted:

On Amazon the PS3/360 versions are $49.99 with the cable. Better grab it at the price, wasn't that low a week ago.

Just ordered it. Got high hopes that this and those justinguitar videos will finally help me get somewhere. It's so frustrating and demoralizing not being able to clear that hump of being able to change chords at any sort of reasonable rate :smith:

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Is there some way to just pause and look at the tab? I'm trying to learn the Round and Round solo and there's no way I can parse some of the mess on the screen in real time.

I'm loving the game so far though, finally got me to pick up my guitar again. One of my favourite features I'd have to say is the guitar tones for all the songs, they've generally really nailed them and it removes all the faffing about you do if you want to sound anything like the song you're trying to play.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Ouroboros posted:

Is there some way to just pause and look at the tab? I'm trying to learn the Round and Round solo and there's no way I can parse some of the mess on the screen in real time.

I'm loving the game so far though, finally got me to pick up my guitar again. One of my favourite features I'd have to say is the guitar tones for all the songs, they've generally really nailed them and it removes all the faffing about you do if you want to sound anything like the song you're trying to play.

There isn't a way to look at TAB but you can use this video to learn some of the trickier parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtFnk95wMjE

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

jiffypop45 posted:

Does anyone here have experience with the Epiphone Les Paul Junior that comes with the guitar, game, and cable pack? Most reviews seem to think it's decent enough for what it is. I was considering going with that package just to save myself some work in having to get a guitar from another source.

They are supposed to be decent for starter guitars. I was looking for some reviews of good starter guitars out of curiosity the other day and a couple places suggested getting whatever beginner pack they have like the Les Paul one cause it would have everything you need. For $200 you get a little amp, picks etc http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-electric-guitar-player-pack

If you want to practice outside of the game it might be worth it to go that way. You can choose what style of guitar you like cause Dean/Fender/Ibanez all have them: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/electric-guitar-value-packages

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I think that's going to be a bit more money than I would want to spend initially. I remember in a review that the game has a place where you can modify what amp you are using to in a sense "demo" the sounds of various amplifiers. How well does this emulate actual amp brand sounds? I was considering just starting with the guitar then using that feature to get an idea about sounds. Though I have several guitar playing friends so if it's not really that good of an emulation I can probably just get suggestions from them.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Best feature of Rocksmith by far: my daughter like to dance along while I'm playing and since she learning to read she will watch the words on the screen. So today she is coloring at the doing room table, and put of the blue she starts belting out "We... Are the champions, my friends..." And sings pretty much the whole song.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

jiffypop45 posted:

I think that's going to be a bit more money than I would want to spend initially. I remember in a review that the game has a place where you can modify what amp you are using to in a sense "demo" the sounds of various amplifiers. How well does this emulate actual amp brand sounds? I was considering just starting with the guitar then using that feature to get an idea about sounds. Though I have several guitar playing friends so if it's not really that good of an emulation I can probably just get suggestions from them.

The amp and effect emulation is pretty drat good. If you have a decent sound system or set of speakers set up to it then it wouldn't be too bad. You can play around with all those settings all you want while in the menu and the sound will change, and you can save presets to call up whenever you want. The game walks you through all the sound effects etc. and it probably would be cool as a beginner to get an idea of what kind of tone you can get out of what equipment. Plus you can pull up any of the tones from the songs you like to see what they used to make it.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Ouroboros posted:

It's not ideal, but it might help to open up riff repeater, slow the speed way down and watch it as it scrolls through repeatedly. It would be nice if you could just pause the game and then move around the highway at your leisure.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jiffypop45 posted:

I think that's going to be a bit more money than I would want to spend initially. I remember in a review that the game has a place where you can modify what amp you are using to in a sense "demo" the sounds of various amplifiers. How well does this emulate actual amp brand sounds?

This is a good question. I have a Vox VT80 and if I can play the game with an emulated version of my real amp, that'd be fantastic and help me better transition from practicing in the game to practicing outside of it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Cannot Find Server posted:

This is a good question. I have a Vox VT80 and if I can play the game with an emulated version of my real amp, that'd be fantastic and help me better transition from practicing in the game to practicing outside of it.

But the VT80 already emulates amps so you would be emulating an amp inside an emulated amp... it's like Rockception. :psyboom: (I own the VT30 BTW)

Some of the amps the VT80 emulates may already be in there, either with their real name or made up name (The same way some of the amps on the VOX don't put the real name)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I admittedly don't know much about amps and just bought this one after two different friends who swore by theirs recommended it to me. So I had no idea it emulated other amps v:shobon:v

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Cannot Find Server posted:

I admittedly don't know much about amps and just bought this one after two different friends who swore by theirs recommended it to me. So I had no idea it emulated other amps v:shobon:v

Check this out, it might help cause it has pictures of the amps http://home.comcast.net/~james.wilkinson1/Valvetronix/ValveTronixModels.pdf

I got mine on sale at one point along with a cheap Fender Jagmaster with little ding in it, and it was a really good amp for the money.

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

Best Buy has every version on sale for $49.99 with the cable.
The PC version is listed at the same price, but they won't ship it and it appears that literally no store carries the PC version so there's no way to buy it. What the hell is the point of even listing it then? :mad:

I don't have PS3 or 360.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

The amp and effect emulation is pretty drat good. If you have a decent sound system or set of speakers set up to it then it wouldn't be too bad.

I actually think it sounds kind of like butt. Better than a pocket pod I guess but there's no replacement for cranking a real amp, even a modelling amp sounds pretty good relatively speaking.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

xzzy posted:

I actually think it sounds kind of like butt. Better than a pocket pod I guess but there's no replacement for cranking a real amp, even a modelling amp sounds pretty good relatively speaking.

Have you tried it with headphones or through a surround sound system?

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

Oh, Amazon has Rocksmith 2014 for $50 as well and you can actually buy the PC version.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Any tips for Chordead. It registers chords sometimes. Other times I just won't. Don't have that problem is Star chords though. :iiam:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

If I'm a big dumb baby who has literally never touched a guitar in my life, how good is this game for me? I don't want to drop a bunch of cash and be expected to play crazy sick licks and end up contorting my fingers into a bow or something.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Philip Rivers posted:

If I'm a big dumb baby who has literally never touched a guitar in my life, how good is this game for me? I don't want to drop a bunch of cash and be expected to play crazy sick licks and end up contorting my fingers into a bow or something.

It's made to teach people from nothing. Play it along with the lessons from justinguitar.com and you'll be golden. There are a few other people in the thread in your position, they seem to be doing pretty well.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Needs more Clutch, Fu Manchu, and hell, just more kick-rear end stoner rock. Both of those songs would be INSANELY fun to play, and both bands are a lot of that poo poo if you don't already know them.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

awesmoe posted:

It's made to teach people from nothing. Play it along with the lessons from justinguitar.com and you'll be golden. There are a few other people in the thread in your position, they seem to be doing pretty well.

Yeah I'm on day 8. I also am taking lessons. (1 so far). I also ordered 3 books. What have you all done to me. :argh:

The Milkman Cometh
Sep 13, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

Yeah I'm on day 8. I also am taking lessons. (1 so far). I also ordered 3 books. What have you all done to me. :argh:
I'm in the same boat as you. After a week of Rocksmith, I've managed to get 85% on Blitzkrieg Bop. It's a great learning tool. I've just started tackling Chordead as well.

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012

doyle-san posted:

I'm hoping 2014's popularity in japan will lead to a Pillows DLC pack.

Because I am a huge nerd. And also because of Hybrid Rainbow.

gently caress that get some tokyo zombie on there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhtN0S9rUEQ

The bass on sleepyhead would also be amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGiw3sxdMTk

Or funky stuff from their Kool Spice album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWg4t34ljOk

Basically I would insta-buy 2014 if it came with the pillows DLC but my laptop would be too full of cum to play any of them

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Needs more Guitar Wolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2b1S8MBkdg

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Updated game and can't login on PS3 noooo.

polar
Nov 3, 2003
I picked up this game and have been playing for about a week. I notice myself getting better. I am kinda interested in a amp to do non-RS practice.

In the game is it easier to start with lead or rhythm I'm kinda running into a brick wall, it moves a little 2 fast for me. I started with lead and am having tons of fun. Its gets me to pick up the guitar every day. I have to put it down when my fingers hurt or when i get frustrated.

So http://justinguitar.com/ is the place for lessons?? or free lessons like http://www.guitarlessons.com ??

i still need a amp and am looking at a cheap orange amp. I really like rock and blues.

Maybe I just need more practice :banjo:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Updated game and can't login on PS3 noooo.

Sony have reset a bunch of user passwords, it's to prevent some FIFA scam that's going around. Just reset your password on their website and you're good to go again.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
hmm I wonder if futureshop has it on sale as well. I want to pick up the ps3 version to take it to work and play during lunch break.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

keyframe posted:

hmm I wonder if futureshop has it on sale as well. I want to pick up the ps3 version to take it to work and play during lunch break.

Another Canadian! I'll keep my eye out

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Anyone in the UK, you got 5 mins if you want to get the game cheap on Amazon's Black Friday lightning deal thing

Game only, £21.99 PC and £24.99 consoles

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This is a thing. And it's only $20 at full price!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Sony have reset a bunch of user passwords, it's to prevent some FIFA scam that's going around. Just reset your password on their website and you're good to go again.

Did that fix it for you or is that something you've heard works? I've changed my password on the website and my PS3 Uplay login still won't work.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh, come on, Canon in D?. Also I loved this:

quote:

Notice: You need a built-in or external microphone to play Songs2See. To connect instruments via jack cable, we recommend to use external soundcards or audiointerfaces such as the Rocksmith™ Real Tone Cable.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

When it lists Venus in Furs as an artist, do they mean this fictional band?

e: assuming you could set guitar/bass to show proper notation instead of tabs, this could be useful for getting guitar/bass players to brush up on sheet music. Shame they're selling the editor seperately for 40 loving dollars.

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So is Rocksmith being unplayably buggy for anyone else? The volume on my bass keeps fluctuating, and now it hit a brand new level of shittiness when midway through a song my volume just kept slowly decreasing until there was literally nothing and it refused to register any notes. So i guess either the game has had some bugs introduced in a patch (this IS UbiSoft), or my cable is hosed. Woo.