Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Already know about all the mainstream ones like planetside 2 and Rift and poo poo. Are there any lesser known good ones out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
AGE OF WUSHU RULES AND YOU CAN HIT SOMEONE SO HARD REAL BLOOD FLIES OUT OF THEIR TINY, WEAK FINGERS AT THE OTHER END OF THE INTERNET WIRE

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Though not strictly F2P, I think Guildwars(both 1 and 2) and Secret World are worth the buy in. My opinions on these other F2P games might be controversial and all of them require some form of grinding if you try to play 100% free, but:

The full stories of all SWToR are playable for free. So if you're weird like me and like Bioware's story-telling, it's not as bad as people say.

You can earn cash shop currency through gameplay in Turbine's games(large amounts require epic grinding); DDO and LotRO. DDO is very janky, though, but also quite unique. LotRO is... BC era WoW set in Lord of the Rings.

Warframe, while not really an MMO but rather a 3rd person shooter, is what currently holds my interest. It has a cash shop whose only worthwhile items are 'character' and weapon slots. Otherwise, it's completely playable free.

Cryptic's games, STO, Neverwinter and Champions are pretty playable without spending anything but you'll quickly feel restrictions once you(very quickly) reach the level caps and the true games being.

Path of Exile is another game that's not quite an MMO but perfectly playable without spending anything. It's best described as Diablo 2.5.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head though I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting.

Roflan fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 23, 2013

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

ShadowMoo posted:

Already know about all the mainstream ones like planetside 2 and Rift and poo poo. Are there any lesser known good ones out there?

Not really any good ones, but you can give Marvel Heroes and Path of Exile a shot. they're both fun and not cash grabs that bottleneck you.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Runescape, if your definition of good actually means awful. It's fun! The goons are some of the chillest because they're either intoxicated enough to tolerate the game or are bots.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Nexon's Dragon Nest is a pretty good action-mmo with downright hilarious localization (in a well-written way) and not much Cash Shop stuff required. It's Nexon, yes, but the game is made by a different company so most of the lovely Nexon decisions don't exist. The few essentials you'd want from the cash shop (a pet, SP resets) you can get from boxes as you level up. The only things that are cash-only are cosmetic equips that give minor stat boosts. Though a few of the consumables for unbinding items to trade or enhancing items are fairly expensive to buy for gold so it's easier to buy them with cash, but you don't have to.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Rift costs a one-time $5 to access the auction house and beyond that the cash shop is mostly ignorable.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

OneEightHundred posted:

that the cash shop is mostly ignorable.
Except the cash shop is the default vendor interface. Not exactly ignorable.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
The Rift cash shop is nice and out-of-the-way. Little to nothing is required from the cash shop, just convenience items like extra bag slots and additional prof slots. I still have a sub to Rift through Dec but I'm played out on that game.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Roflan posted:

Path of Exile is another game that's not quite an MMO but perfectly playable without spending anything. It's best described as Diablo 2.5.

It's more like Diablo 3, in the sense that it feels like Diablo 2, but updated for the right decade.

The thing people call D3 is basically a fun action game that somehow got the Diablo brand attached to it :confused:

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

ShadowMoo posted:

The Rift cash shop is nice and out-of-the-way. Little to nothing is required from the cash shop, just convenience items like extra bag slots and additional prof slots. I still have a sub to Rift through Dec but I'm played out on that game.

Did they ever improve the animations in Rify? I bought it before it was F2P and the animations were just poo poo.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
nawp still the same retarded animations. Only now one of the cash shop mounts has an animation of walking forward whenever you move backward from what I heard.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nighthand posted:

Nexon's Dragon Nest is a pretty good action-mmo with downright hilarious localization (in a well-written way) and not much Cash Shop stuff required. It's Nexon, yes, but the game is made by a different company so most of the lovely Nexon decisions don't exist. The few essentials you'd want from the cash shop (a pet, SP resets) you can get from boxes as you level up. The only things that are cash-only are cosmetic equips that give minor stat boosts. Though a few of the consumables for unbinding items to trade or enhancing items are fairly expensive to buy for gold so it's easier to buy them with cash, but you don't have to.

isn't that the one where you run around as a half naked 7 year old anime girl?

awful MMO

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Blast of Confetti posted:

awful MMO

I'm sure that's Tera.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

awful MMO

I recall some people bitching about playing as a little girl (and admittedly her personal plotline "I'm from the future but the time machine de-aged me" is anime to the max) but she's not half-naked by any stretch of the imagination. Even her cash shop outfits are tame. Especially compared to the other two female characters in the game, that ARE half-naked, but aren't modeled after pre-teens.

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

Always be yourself, unless you can be Batman.
Age of Wushu is a very fun free to play game, VIP helps a lot in the game but is not totally necessary. Age of Wushu is very PVP oriented mind you, if you are looking for a PVE game it might not be the best choice. I also recommend Neverwinter, the PVE is fun and the PVP isn't terrible. If you are a fan of DnD monsters you may very well enjoy Neverwiner.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Besides EvE Online what are the best MMOs for griefers? Especially those that have some sort of goon presence.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Besides EvE Online what are the best MMOs for griefers? Especially those that have some sort of goon presence.
Age of Wushu still has a decent goon presence, as far as I know. It hasn't really been emphasized in this thread, but Wushu is great for griefing. Simply being a goon drives some people completely fucknuts; from there, it's a really simple matter to push them over the edge. I've seen people lose their poo poo because you killed them in a PvP event in an open PvP game. A PvP game that goes out of its way to say "hey, this game is open PvP. Are you prepared for that?" It's also a game that people have dumped hundreds (thousands?) of dollars into, so it has that financial aspect that makes EvE griefing so much fun to read about.

To answer the original question: I've been playing Fallen Earth lately and it's not terribly cash-grabby. I'm at level 47 of 55 and haven't felt compelled to give the game any real money. There's a premium system and buyable boosters, but they're not necessary if you're patient. The game itself is unusual because it's a post-apocalyptic MMOFPS. On its surface, it's WoW with a Fallout 3 skin. Go a bit deeper and, well, it still is WoW with a Fallout 3 skin, but you can take scrap metal and rubber from discarded computers and turn them into a motorcycle, then ramp the motorcycle over random graves you find in the wasteland. Then you can get off the motorcycle, dig up the grave, and take some scraps of clothing from it. I wouldn't say the game is good, but it's definitely an interesting experience.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is there a thread for Fallen Earth? I didn't see one when I looked.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
everquest

vanguard

I'm playing path of exile and it is loving overwhelming if you read about it. I think it is better to just ignore all the people and have fun playing it. I hate the fact that I spent 6 hours reading about the game and none of it matters at the low level.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I've played a lot of F2P MMOs, well, ones that have made the transition from subscription to F2P and I think Rift has the best system out there. Guild Wars 2 is great but it has a different feel. I can't really explain it.

If you're not into that, I'd recommend a private server for Ultima Online / SWG or maybe even just wait for ArcheAge and Everquest Next (Landmark is going into alpha next month).

Mastio80
Jan 2, 2014

ShadowMoo posted:

Have you tried Epic Space Online? It's not exactly F2P but I have an extra Beta Key if you want, I got it when I upgraded my account.
Check it out and let me know if you want this key I have.

http://epicspace.net

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Mastio80 posted:

Have you tried Epic Space Online? It's not exactly F2P but I have an extra Beta Key if you want, I got it when I upgraded my account.
Check it out and let me know if you want this key I have.

http://epicspace.net

I considered trying that game until I saw the dev on here shill for his own game with multiple newly registered accounts.

Mastio80
Jan 2, 2014

crabcakes66 posted:

I considered trying that game until I saw the dev on here shill for his own game with multiple newly registered accounts.

Ah, guess I missed that....... I didn't even know the dev was on here lol.......... shows how much I pay attention lol. Well the Beta key is still yours if you wanna give it a shot. All of my buddies are already in the game so I have nobody else to give it to. Message me if you change your mind :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mastio80 posted:

Ah, guess I missed that....... I didn't even know the dev was on here lol.......... shows how much I pay attention lol. Well the Beta key is still yours if you wanna give it a shot. All of my buddies are already in the game so I have nobody else to give it to. Message me if you change your mind :)

LOL REALLY LOL!?!? OMG LIKE LOL..

Stop shilling for your game and :frogout:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

awful MMO

No, that's TERA. It's p good though if you can handle the enormous mental stress bestowed upon your frail goon mind by the existence of Elins.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Completely unbiased in all ways plug for Shards of Dalaya as an emulated, but fully fleshed out, MMO that is absolutely free to play and run by volunteers.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3335098

No bias, honest.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Roflan posted:

The full stories of all SWToR are playable for free. So if you're weird like me and like Bioware's story-telling, it's not as bad as people say.

This is true I enjoyed the stories for both light and dark on republic and empire. After finishing the stories I promptly quit playing. I really enjoyed the empire sorcerer storyline.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I can wholeheartedly recommend Marvel Heroes if an ARPG also qualifies for your definition of MMO.

There is no auctionhouse and uniques can't be traded which in turn spares from farmers, goldspam and hackers.
You can unlock all heroes just by playing and if you are dedicated and lucky get new costumes from repeatedly leveling your guys. If you really want a certain outfit you'll have to shell out a couple of bucks though.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you want a good space mmorpg with trading and mining the Earth and Beyond game has a free emulator to play on: http://enb-emulator.com/index.php?/...ns-rev-7222010/

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
I've been having trouble finding a solid mmo as well, but a few friends and I have been playing EQ1 in a blast to the past. It's been pretty fun and I think the Goon presence is still pretty active.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
For what little my opinion's worth, I've been playing Aeria's new offering, Aura Kingdom, which recently went open beta. Unlike some other Aeria games *coughEdenEternalcough* the leveling is actually quite fast, and if you can look past the super anime art style it has a lot of neat features (everything is cooldown-based with no mana or MP, you can summon a wide variety of AI-controlled summon-spirit buddies to help you fight, you can break most useless equipment down into "fragments" and use them to reinforce your good equipment, you can slot "Secret Stones" into your equipment for stat boosts and freely remove them if you want without cost or penalty, there are "achievement quests" that are mostly unmarked on the map and actually require you to run around and look for things)...I could go on. If you can't tell I really like it so far. The cash shop is mostly ignorable, and there's even a separate currency called "loyalty" that you get for doing achievement quests, with the loyalty section of the cash shop having things that aren't in the actual cash shop. I'd recommend it.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

ColoradoCleric posted:

If you want a good space mmorpg with trading and mining the Earth and Beyond game has a free emulator to play on: http://enb-emulator.com/index.php?/...ns-rev-7222010/

Holy gently caress, there is an EnB emulator? played that game back before it was canned. It was an enjoyable experience.

Hamsalad
May 28, 2007
i am torgo
War Thunder is pretty fun if you like WWII shooty planes, free too. If you get on CTS mumble, there is usually always a group of goons in there, and we are all pretty helpful/drunk.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Is there a goon presence in Mechwarrior online?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A.o.D. posted:

Is there a goon presence in Mechwarrior online?

Not anymore, I think. The goons were pretty much done with the game when I tried playing it like 4 or 6 months ago. Too bad, to, because I really wanted a good mech game that I could play with a group.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

Not anymore, I think. The goons were pretty much done with the game when I tried playing it like 4 or 6 months ago. Too bad, to, because I really wanted a good mech game that I could play with a group.

A lot of goons might be coming back to it this month because there is a huge content patch coming out that adds a bunch of new mechs including the Timberwolf which seems to be a huge fan favorite.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
So that's why I couldn't find a mwo thread. A shame, too, as I'm already all in for piloting a Nova.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah I did a search and didn't see the Mechwarrior thread. I think it fell into the archives because it was that inactive. That or it was moved. I remember when Mechwarrior Online first came out a lot of goons were in super hype mode for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I did a search and didn't see the Mechwarrior thread. I think it fell into the archives because it was that inactive. That or it was moved. I remember when Mechwarrior Online first came out a lot of goons were in super hype mode for this game.

Yeah, I couldn't run the game at the time, so I was super pumped to play MWO when I bought a new motherboard and basically did a full system overhaul. I downloaded and installed the game while reading the OP, then found out there was basically no goon presence anymore after getting through the tutorial.

• Locked thread