Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I should probably play through Psychonauts when that re-release comes out, right? I've been hearing goons praise the game for years, but I only played the demo of it on PC, never the full game. I don't even really remember if I liked the demo or not anymore, honestly. 2005 seems like so long ago.

I frequently see it on Steam sales for less than $10, though, so maybe I should just buy it on PC.

Hell, I frequently see it on Steam sales for less than $2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I should probably play through Psychonauts when that re-release comes out, right? I've been hearing goons praise the game for years, but I only played the demo of it on PC, never the full game. I don't even really remember if I liked the demo or not anymore, honestly. 2005 seems like so long ago.

I frequently see it on Steam sales for less than $10, though, so maybe I should just buy it on PC.

Psychonauts is one of those games with near-universal praise that actually hasn't aged that well. But it'll be interesting to see if they do a 'HD' version or something.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Veib posted:

So I just now got around to play the demo for Asura's Wrath, and, well, what the gently caress? How did I miss this so completely? Is the rest of the game as amazingly over-the-top ridiculous as the demo fights?

Go for it. If you enjoyed the demo, you'll enjoy the full game. It's full of batshit craziness. As a game it's not great but as sheer spectacle it's pretty amazing.

Unfortunately, the real ending of the game is dlc which you have to buy. If you liked the game though, the dlc ending is probably the most insane poo poo in the entire game, so it's worth the $5 or whatever it costs at the moment.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

The next Games with Gold game has been announced.

It's Gears of War.

The first one.

Snore :(

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

MZ posted:

It's Gears of War.

The first one.

I wonder what Germany will get instead.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Healbot posted:

I wonder what Germany will get instead.

Kameo

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

*Germany and Japan will receive Halo Wars

That should be cleared now.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

MZ posted:

It's Gears of War.

The first one.

Looking forward to getting the gang back together for some retro gears!

You didn't all buy PS4s yet did you?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And second half of December is Shoot Many Robots.

Better than November, at any rate.

And they still haven't given out any game I already own, so, some kind of success. Gears of War has always been one of those games I've always passed over, so...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Crap, it's the only Gears game I've already played. Ah well, can't complain.

EDIT: Except I just did.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

MZ posted:

It's Gears of War.

The first one.

You know games for gold are gonna continue to be a letdown so why bother being surprised? :P

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

ZeeBoi posted:

You know games for gold are gonna continue to be a letdown so why bother being surprised? :P

I barely use any online servies with my 360 anymore and with a baby on the way I'm looking to cut costs wherever I can; which includes my Live sub. If something comes along for Free with Gold that I want, can I just pay the $5 monthly rate and download or do I need to have an annual subscription?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm hopelessly optimistic?

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Seriously if you haven't played the first Gears, you should definitely try it out. The campaign is decently fun and even more so with a co-op buddy. If you have a gang of 8, it is my favorite multiplayer of this generation.

Maybe there will be enough people to pick it up for a retro play! I'll see you at the museum with my boomshot.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Lord Wexia posted:

Seriously if you haven't played the first Gears, you should definitely try it out. The campaign is decently fun and even more so with a co-op buddy. If you have a gang of 8, it is my favorite multiplayer of this generation.

Maybe there will be enough people to pick it up for a retro play! I'll see you at the museum with my boomshot.

I played through it relatively recently and it while still a blast to play has not aged well graphically at all. Also that krill mission with the UV tank was worse then I remembered. Multiplayer is still where it's at though.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
:siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: has been threatening to buy me Gears 1 for a game we can co-op so I'm pretty happy about this.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I wonder what Gamestop will give me for my disc version of Gears of War. They gave me $0.16 for my disc copy of Rainbow Six Vegas.

How is Shoot Many Robots? The screenshots and description make it look kinda fun. Do you have to coop to be able to beat the game?

Talking about Games with Gold, a couple of days ago I finished Clash of Heroes and while the gameplay was initially fun, I didn't think it was fun enough to sustain a ~30 hour (!) XBLA game. Good value for your money though if you can avoid thinking of it as a slog near the end like I did.

I also finished Dead Rising 2: Case Zero last night and started Dead Rising 2 today. Case Zero was a fun little self-contained area and storyline and it was nice that they gave it away for free with DR2. I always get this weird sense of paranoia when I am about to play a DR game, like it won't even be fun because I'll feel rushed. I find that as long as I set realistic goals ahead of time it's fine.

I got less than halfway through Defense Grid before I set it aside. That game sucks pretty bad. It's slow (even with the fast forward button) and difficult without being the fun kind of difficult.

World of Keflings was shallow and super mellow but kinda fun. Glad I didn't pay money for it. I remember people saying they played it while at home on cold medicine or something and I don't know how they did it. It was hard for me to keep track of all the buildings and what they made and what resources they needed, etc. and I was completely lucid.

I really enjoyed Magic 2013 for the most part. I'm not a Magic player IRL but I had fun trying to figure out how all the different decks worked and the general strategies for all of them. The revenge campaign was bad though - every annoying gimmicky deck was used to full effect by the NPC mages.

Overall I think GwG has been an okay program but it is definitely not something that makes me excited to have a 360 or look forward to what is coming next month. Especially when compared to PS+ it seems kinda meh.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

I downloaded Iron Brigade and was pleasantly surprised. It's got a good amount of Double-Fine charm and good gameplay. I can see the replay value in it for multiplayer too.

I do agree about GwG being a bit lackluster compared to PSN+ though. PSN+ is obviously focused more on games, games, games. Microsoft could definitely stand to throw us more free XBL/Indie stuff at us on top of the 2/month free games.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

You get to keep the games after your Gold sub expires, unlike PS+, which is cool but doesn't really make up for their generally poor offerings, I mean if I really wanted to pick up Halo 3 again it's only £6 on Amazon anyway.

But hell, free's free I guess.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Shoot Many Robots is a loving great game that not enough people played, so that's a great pick. Imagine Contra with Hillbillies and you're pretty much there.

I think it has online co-op too!

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Healbot posted:

I don't own Halo Wars, I'm guessing there's no way to magically change my region in the UK to get it instead?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Run Dodo Run posted:

I don't own Halo Wars, I'm guessing there's no way to magically change my region in the UK to get it instead?

Nope, just as I still can't download the UK version of The Darkness that I have bought on XBL three years ago to this day . :negative:

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Contra with Hillbillies

Holy poo poo, I am so in on this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Healbot posted:

I want this game. :(

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Yeah Halo wars was actually really fun, but I picked it up after it died down. It would've been nice to try my hand on line with the game. Elephant :zerg:

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
I was randomly playing some Halo 4 co-op last night and mentioned to my buddy that I still want to give Halo Wars a try. This makes me sad that we don't get it on Gold , not that it's really that expensive otherwise, just would have been fantastic timing.

Also, Halo 4 is gorgeous and a testament to current gen games holding their own against these "next-gen" titles.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

owl_pellet posted:

Talking about Games with Gold, a couple of days ago I finished Clash of Heroes and while the gameplay was initially fun, I didn't think it was fun enough to sustain a ~30 hour (!) XBLA game. Good value for your money though if you can avoid thinking of it as a slog near the end like I did.
Clash of Heroes is the only Game with Gold I've put time into, by which I mean I beat it in a few days. Most GwGs I haven't even launched. I should play more online with my awesome strategies that weren't as awesome against people who used the multiplayer only broken as poo poo artifacts and/or broken-ish boss characters.

...anyone want to play some online matches? :getin:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

weaaddar posted:

Yeah Halo wars was actually really fun, but I picked it up after it died down. It would've been nice to try my hand on line with the game. Elephant :zerg:

All multiplayer matches boiled down to either spam the super hornets with anders or base rush with brutes. Even after all the nerf patches those were still the predominant strategies.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So, I'm finally getting around to playing Peace Walker. Do any of you have this and want to coop?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So what games are still coming for 360 and won't be coming to the One? I know I need to keep it handy for Dark Souls 2, but is there anything else?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I've been playing through Way of the Samurai 3 again. Still mad the PS3 got #4 but man we had some good times regardless.

Stuff
Jan 2, 2012
I'm in a bit of a conundrum here. My Xbox is not recognizing my USB drive which was previously used to store 5 GB of DLC and player data. It now mentions that only configuration is available. Using Google, it looks like a few people with similar problems were successful with recovering their Xbox data. They don't exactly mention what they did, so if anyone thinks they have a good idea to recover my stuff, please let me know, I had some real good saves on that drive. :(

Stuff fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 28, 2013

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

So what games are still coming for 360 and won't be coming to the One? I know I need to keep it handy for Dark Souls 2, but is there anything else?

The South Park RPG if you're into that kind of thing.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Wasn't there quite a rumour that Dark Souls 2 would be released on the xbone/ps4 anyway?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I only just got GTAV and Arkham Origins a few weeks ago. :smith:

Honestly, there's nothing on the next gen consoles that interests me at all (save for the WiiU), so I'm going to hold off buying anything new until the libraries improve (and any early model flaws are fixed). It really seems like the One was rushed out before it was ready. So I'll still be playing my trusty 360 for some time. :unsmith:

I actually can't remember when I got it, but it must have been around 2007... It's a 60GB Premium, never had any issues with it (other than several wireless adapters, which I bought separately, just stop working).

e: I have Gears 1 (got Gears 1&2 as a pack-in), I don't think I ever finished it. I'd be up for some multiplayer if people were grabbing it on Games With Gold.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Houdini posted:

Wasn't there quite a rumour that Dark Souls 2 would be released on the xbone/ps4 anyway?

I think the developers have said they're open to the idea.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Houdini posted:

I think it was more "we'd like to do something at some point" which could mean anything, it was far from a confirmation.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I waited a good year before getting a 360 since its release and it was GTA4 that prompted me to do it. Be the same this time around, although probably a PS4 the way things are looking, although not sure what the game will be that really screams upgrade time. Probably Fallout 4.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

I've got three words and a number for you, Earth Defense Force 2025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Neo Helbeast posted:

I've got three words and a number for you, Earth Defense Force 2025.
And while you're waiting, get EDF 2017 and find a friend to play local co-op with you (there's no online play). It's honestly one of my favourite shooters on the 360. You'll need a friend though, the later difficulties are insanely hard.

• Locked thread