Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Are any of those Spider-Man games any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Web of Shadows has a fun combat system but a kind of dull world. Amazing Spider-Man is okay but not great, with an Arkham-knockoff combat system that isn't anywhere as good but isn't horrible and some okay boss fights.

That's about it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If you haven't played it yet, just get Spiderman 2

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

If you haven't played it yet, just get Spiderman 2

I was hoping one of these would be open world like Spider-Man 2 was, apparently not.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I was hoping one of these would be open world like Spider-Man 2 was, apparently not.

WoS and ASM are technically open-world, but they both really lack something compared to SM2.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

The Duke posted:

Target has 3 month cards for $10 right now, I don't know if that's online too though

Yeah, seems to be instore only. I'll keep in in mind though as a backup if I can't find any better XBLG sources.

Edit: Man, such a contrast with the $30 PSN years being flung left and right.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 29, 2013

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My only real experience with HexicHD is when I use it as an example of bad sound design for my students. :smug:
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. BUT IT'S WRONG. :byodood:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I hopped onto Gears of War Multi last night to get a taste of what it's still like for when it comes out on GWG. I thought I'd give a quick bullet point of my matches last night, Spoilers: Whatever is left of the community is atrocious.

My first 3 matches were in ranked and they went actually okay. No glitching, no out of bounds, and no rage quitting. I played fairly terrible in these so I decided to switch to unranked to get some practice in. First match, I chainsawed a guy hiding behind a wall trying to snipe. Got Booted. Second match I joined, I beat down the host and got booted. Third match I joined, I sniped a player and got booted. Repeat this for another 3 matches. So I switched back to rank; where I couldn't be booted. My first ranked match was okay until the last round where on bullet marsh the entire enemy team got off the map trying to stall, we wouldn't even have won if one of their players hadn't accidentally walked into the krill and they all went to save him. Repeat this for my second match on tyro station except torque bows won the match. My last for the night was a 45 minute, first to five, on Fuel Depot because the entire enemy started doing the roadie run glitch and the entire match boiled to glitch wars just to finish the drat match, I was legit angry at videogames afterwards. Now I really doubt when it goes free that the new players will no how to do all of these glitches but they're still really bad glitches that really need to be patched out.

That said I did have a lot of fun in those matches that did go well.

Roadie Run glitch for those who don't know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nit04wI8U8

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Asking over here, too: Just picked up GTAV from Amazon's deal - any missable stuff I should know? I already know that I have to pick Option C at the ending otherwise I'm locked out of things, but is there any more?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

flatluigi posted:

Asking over here, too: Just picked up GTAV from Amazon's deal - any missable stuff I should know? I already know that I have to pick Option C at the ending otherwise I'm locked out of things, but is there any more?

Not really, no. Just have fun with it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
This is probably a stupid question, but I haven't used my Xbox in about a year so I don't know what's going on. I want to buy a Games on Demand game (Dragon's Dogma) that is on sale for $13 today. I have $3 in my Microsoft account. If I hit confirm purchase in Live, is it going to charge me $13 or will it properly apply my balance? I don't see any option to pay with that balance.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Papercut posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but I haven't used my Xbox in about a year so I don't know what's going on. I want to buy a Games on Demand game (Dragon's Dogma) that is on sale for $13 today. I have $3 in my Microsoft account. If I hit confirm purchase in Live, is it going to charge me $13 or will it properly apply my balance? I don't see any option to pay with that balance.

On the console, it will use your balance. The site won't, apparently.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I just played through Web of Shadows this week (from the last time it was on sale!) and it is incredibly similar to Prototype, except a lot less polished and populated.

The combat system seems like it's pretty deep with multiple skill trees full of moves and combos and whatnot, but the correct move ~99% of the time is the one where you chain-bounce on people's heads. Now that's fun enough for a while, but then it's like the game notices you were doing it too much and makes you "smoke the whole pack", with endless missions revolving around bouncing from one guy to the next until it gets super old.

Outside of the main missions, there's nothing to do in the open world but grind out collectibles and beat up small packs of Venom-zombies (which look like larger packs until you get too close and most of them fade away before your eyes). It ended up being my designated mindless background game for listening to podcasts and stuff, except there weren't any subtitles so I never really knew what was going on in the story.

Oh yeah and at some point near the end the army comes out and starts dropping framerate bombs all over the city and it becomes almost unplayable. Look out for that part.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Aphrodite posted:

On the console, it will use your balance. The site won't, apparently.

Cool thanks, that worked.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Neo Helbeast posted:

I hopped onto Gears of War Multi last night to get a taste of what it's still like for when it comes out on GWG. I thought I'd give a quick bullet point of my matches last night, Spoilers: Whatever is left of the community is atrocious.
Legitimately surprised it wasn't just people boosting kills for Seriously on Rooftops.

Do you get matched up with people based on what DLC you have? If so it might be worth deleting the map packs so you get matched with people just trying to game since it's free. I'd definitely be up for some pubstomping in Gears. I miss when that series was good.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I bought Oneechanbara because you really can't go wrong with a game about a girl in a bikini killing zombies with a katana for $3. Just wish the DLC pack would have been discounted too, but oh well. The rest of the daily deals I didn't really see anything interesting in.

Ended up picking up Dust too, and will probably buy The Cave as well, but those are for the whole week.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

KennyMan666 posted:

I bought Oneechanbara because you really can't go wrong with a game about a girl in a bikini killing zombies with a katana for $3. Just wish the DLC pack would have been discounted too, but oh well. The rest of the daily deals I didn't really see anything interesting in.

Ended up picking up Dust too, and will probably buy The Cave as well, but those are for the whole week.

Unfortunately, I don't think you spent your $3 wisely. I'm pretty sure my friend had me play Oneechanbara for no other reason than to clutter my achievement list with that title so the shame is spread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Father Wendigo posted:

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. BUT IT'S WRONG. :byodood:

Father, please... Listen to it again, and then go play Bejeweled 3, which has perfect sound design for a puzzle game. Whomever worked on HexicHD really didn't pull it off very well.

I realise the majority of people reading this don't give a poo poo either way.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Father, please... Listen to it again, and then go play Bejeweled 3, which has perfect sound design for a puzzle game. Whomever worked on HexicHD really didn't pull it off very well.

I realise the majority of people reading this don't give a poo poo either way.

So I got Bejeweled 3 due to Sim City and EA stuff and it is a bit unrelated but is the game good and is it good if me and my roommate want to go head to head? I would totally buy it cheap on XLA if it is a good game just to solve arguments with "gently caress you, loser does dishes."

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Rapdawg posted:

So I got Bejeweled 3 due to Sim City and EA stuff and it is a bit unrelated but is the game good and is it good if me and my roommate want to go head to head? I would totally buy it cheap on XLA if it is a good game just to solve arguments with "gently caress you, loser does dishes."
The only game you should be using for this purpose is Mount Your Friends. ($1 on XBLIG. One of the five best games on there. Everyone needs to play it.)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rapdawg posted:

I don't think Bejeweled 3 has a head-to-head multiplayer mode.
However Kennyman is 100% correct, Mount Your Friends is a game that nobody who has a 360 should go without.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There's no multiplayer in Bejeweled 3. It is, however, an absolutely fantastic puzzle game (they take match-3, add a ton of modes, and polish the hell out of it all).

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

flatluigi posted:

If you care about achievements there are a couple other missable ones not related to the ending:

There's a limited number of bail bond side missions that you can't replay, so if you kill all of the targets in these missions you'll miss out on the achievement for bringing a target back alive.
There's also a limited set of random hitchhikers/drunk drivers/strangers so make sure to have Trevor bring one of them to the cult in the mountains for an achievement.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Rarity posted:

The last console generation pretty much passed me by except for some Bioshocks and Mass Effects so I've decided that instead of paying hundreds of pounds for a new console and new games I'm going to go right back to the start and experience the 360 from the beginning. The games only cost £5 a pop and because I've not played many games in the last 8 years nothing feels dated! I've already worked my way through Call of Duty 2 (so good), Kameo (so-so), Gun (fun but small), Perfect Dark Zero (ok, that felt dated) and Ghost Recon AW (ughhhh). I've currently playing Burnout Revenge and having so much fun and I'm disappointed that the franchise didn't go much further :smith:

And after I'm done with that, I get to play Oblivion :dance:

You and me both :) picked up a 360 in the run up to Christmas, making myself wait until Christmas to get my grubby mitts on it though. Life is much different now to how it was when the 360 came out. For starters it's a hell of a lot more palatable paying £160 for a bundle now than £400+ back then. I now also have a wife and kids to support so being able to buy into bleeding edge tech is a distant memory.

Can't say I'm not happy with having a butt load of old games, cheap old games.. to get through :D

..and oblivion is the one in looking forward to the most :) many an hour wasted playing elder scrolls on the pc back in the day.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I just gave the Contrast demo a shot and I like it. It seems different in a good way.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Rarity posted:

The last console generation pretty much passed me by except for some Bioshocks and Mass Effects so I've decided that instead of paying hundreds of pounds for a new console and new games I'm going to go right back to the start and experience the 360 from the beginning. The games only cost £5 a pop and because I've not played many games in the last 8 years nothing feels dated! I've already worked my way through Call of Duty 2 (so good), Kameo (so-so), Gun (fun but small), Perfect Dark Zero (ok, that felt dated) and Ghost Recon AW (ughhhh). I've currently playing Burnout Revenge and having so much fun and I'm disappointed that the franchise didn't go much further :smith:

And after I'm done with that, I get to play Oblivion :dance:

You should play the King Kong launch game. It's actually pretty good for the most part, did some good stuff with HUDless design and you get to throw spears in the faces of Velociraptors. It was only disappointing at launch because it needed a bug patch, it was crazy expensive for a linear 6/7 hour game, and didn't do anything towards replayability. I bought it cheap to replay it a year or so back and it holds up well, well enough that I'll probably do another run in 5 years or so.

The New York level sucks, and the secret hidden alternate ending requires grinding levels until you you feel like killing yourself, but it's actually an immersive experience that does a great job of feeling like you are in the movie.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Perfect Dark Arcade Trip Report:

Participants: Neo Helbeast, Kid Krampus, Father Wendigo

Best Weapons for Matches Without Simulants: N-Bombs, Combat Drugs

Best Weapons for Matches With Simulants: N-Bombs, Combat Drugs, Cloaking Devices

Best Weapons/Modes to use With 8 Perfect-Grade Peace Simulants: Too many to name, this game's AI is schizophrenic and it's great.

Best Way to play 3 Players vs. 8 Meat-Perfect Grade Fist Simulants: Slow firing weapons, combat drugs, cloaking devices, OH GOD RUN. They get together like a pack of feral dogs and just tear everyone apart. You think 'Oh, they're just a bunch of meat-sims and a ringer, how hard can it b-' and then you're respawning.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drat, I should have gotten in on that.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

drat, I should have gotten in on that.
Sorry man, last night's game was only open to people with correct opinions about Hexic having bomb-rear end sound design. You're welcome to join us next time, though! :shobon: (also you weren't on at the time)

Oh, also...

This? It's WRONG. :byodood:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I literally thought I was going to die laughing when the bots started to run off cliffs to thier death. When I get done with my sister I gotta work on getting that footage up on YouTube.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Why didn't anyone tell me that Kingdoms of Amalur is basically a rehash of Fable 1? I just picked it up for $20 on a whim and am really enjoying it. Eastern RPGs like Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma don't really do it for me, but KoA scratches the itch for me.

I'll probably grab LA Noire on Monday for $7.50 as well since I missed that too. If I hadn't just gotten KoA I'd probably get Witcher 2 as well. Xbox LIVE is turning into Steam for me!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lord Wexia posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me that Kingdoms of Amalur is basically a rehash of Fable 1? I just picked it up for $20 on a whim and am really enjoying it. Eastern RPGs like Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma don't really do it for me, but KoA scratches the itch for me.

I really loved Amalur too, it's a lot of fun. The expansion DLC for Amalur is actually pretty solid, too -- especially Teeth of Naros, which is the one to get if you just buy one. Just don't bother with the dumb preorder-only items one, they're not very interesting or even very powerful.

...I missed the Dark Arisen sale, like a fool :(

E: it's unfortunate that the Amalur devs turned out to be such scumbags, but I think their game turned out great. Also, all profits from the game now go to the state of Rhode Island, which is nice.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 30, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So now that the 360 is technically previous-gen, I decided for no reason at all to go down the list of launch window games in the US with help from wikipedia. I excluded certain games in the list, mainly any games I've already played, sports/racing games, fighting games, anything with a heavy online focus (i.e. Chromehounds, Battlefield 2), and any licensed games with a heavy kid/family focus.

This is what I came up with:

Kameo
Gun
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
Ghost Recon
The Outfit
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Blazing Angels
Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Tomb Raider: Legend
X-Men: The Official Game
Table Tennis
Hitman: Blood Money
Over G Fighters
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II
Bomberman: Act Zero
Saints Row
The Godfather: The Game
Just Cause
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Call of Duty 3
History Channel: Civil War
Tony Hawk's Project 8

So in the event I decide to build up my launch library because I haven't spent frivolously enough this holiday season, what should be my next target?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

IS your focus collecting or playing? If it's the latter, you probably need to cut some stuff off your list to save money and emotional well being.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Definitely the former. I know that's a lot of poo poo to wade through, I'm just trying to find what's gonna be mostly worth it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm catching up on my backlog and am currently trying to actually finish Sleeping Dogs this time, so I figured I'd ask about the DLC. I already bought the kung fu tournament one because why wouldn't I, but are any of the others worth grabbing?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Crowetron posted:

I'm catching up on my backlog and am currently trying to actually finish Sleeping Dogs this time, so I figured I'd ask about the DLC. I already bought the kung fu tournament one because why wouldn't I, but are any of the others worth grabbing?

Nightmare in North Point and Year of the Snake are, to my recollection. I think the Cop and Triad packs are too, because they give you good cars and each one has a rail shooting section that you can use to gain experience.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

crowfeathers posted:

I really loved Amalur too, it's a lot of fun. The expansion DLC for Amalur is actually pretty solid, too -- especially Teeth of Naros, which is the one to get if you just buy one. Just don't bother with the dumb preorder-only items one, they're not very interesting or even very powerful.

...I missed the Dark Arisen sale, like a fool :(

E: it's unfortunate that the Amalur devs turned out to be such scumbags, but I think their game turned out great. Also, all profits from the game now go to the state of Rhode Island, which is nice.

I thought the main developer on Amalur, Big Huge games was actually okay? It was just Curt Schilling and 38 studios that were kind of lovely.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Scylo posted:

I thought the main developer on Amalur, Big Huge games was actually okay? It was just Curt Schilling and 38 studios that were kind of lovely.

Big Huge Games were fine, that's true, and it's a shame that 38 studios took them with them when they died. I do still think it's funny that the MMORPG Amalur was supposed to tie into, which started development before Amalur, never came out -- but a good RPG is worth more than another failed fantasy MMO.

I think one of the things people should really copy from Amalur is how it handled letting you attack people -- you could do it if you wanted, but only if you turned on NPC damaging during gameplay, so there wasn't the classic Elder Scrolls issue of accidentally hitting an invincible NPC and making everyone hostile. That's something Bethesda could stand to implement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Lord Wexia posted:

I'll probably grab LA Noire on Monday for $7.50 as well since I missed that too. If I hadn't just gotten KoA I'd probably get Witcher 2 as well. Xbox LIVE is turning into Steam for me!

Amalur is good fun if you can get past the worst story ever conceived. The mix and match combat is weirdly satisfying. I still want to get Teeth of Naros but paying full price for a DLC made by company that went belly up seems off to me.

• Locked thread