Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I'm finally getting around to playing Dead Rising 2.

I bought a copy of the game used off eBay for like $15.

My Xbox360 recognizes the disc just fine, and launches the game just fine, but when I try to install the disc to my harddrive it gets to 4% complete and stops, saying the disc can't be read.
I checked the disc and it looks to be in excellent condition, I couldn't see any major scratches. I don't have problems installing other games to my harddrive, either.

I'm just worried that I'm going to start playing the game, get a ways into it, and then the disc will stop working or something.

Thoughts? Should I just return the game and get a refund from the seller? He's already agreed to one if I want one, no hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xenomrph posted:

So I'm finally getting around to playing Dead Rising 2.

I bought a copy of the game used off eBay for like $15.

My Xbox360 recognizes the disc just fine, and launches the game just fine, but when I try to install the disc to my harddrive it gets to 4% complete and stops, saying the disc can't be read.
I checked the disc and it looks to be in excellent condition, I couldn't see any major scratches. I don't have problems installing other games to my harddrive, either.

I'm just worried that I'm going to start playing the game, get a ways into it, and then the disc will stop working or something.

Thoughts? Should I just return the game and get a refund from the seller? He's already agreed to one if I want one, no hassle.

The way it installs to hard drive is to just straight up copy the disc's contents, so if it can't copy it all the way that probably means there's a problem with the disc. Get a new one, since your seller's willing.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Wendigo, here are your highlights :byodood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCTe6a-O_VA

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Perfect Dark really is the greatest online game :allears:

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
So i got Dragons Dogma, its been fun so far, but i have 2 questions:
-is there a fast travel system? Because ive been running a lot.
-whats the deal with pawns? Should i just get the highest level ones that i can afford?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Now that's some blast processed A.I. :thumbsup:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

PacoPepe posted:

So i got Dragons Dogma, its been fun so far, but i have 2 questions:
-is there a fast travel system? Because ive been running a lot.
-whats the deal with pawns? Should i just get the highest level ones that i can afford?

1. In the original version, you can get Ferrystones, which cost like 10k each and warp you back to the hub city. You also get one Port Crystal late in the game that you can place anywhere in the world and warp to using a Ferrystone. Those are your only two options. You get used to it soon.

2. Hire some pawns a few levels above you, but not too much.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I bought Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions on the sale. I'm pretty damned impressed. The web slinging and combat work pretty damned well now that I've gotten used to it.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
I'm going to try to wipe out the rest of my backlog in December. This is what it looks like right now:

Disc:
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
The Witcher 2
Forza 4
Aliens: Colonial Marines (played for a few hours and the game seems to have lost my save? lol)
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Gears of War: Judgment
Call of Duty: Ghost

Digital:
Conan
Dark Void
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
The Last Remnant
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (in progress, it's been a long time since I last played, but I remember fighting two big mechs?)

DLC:
Borderlands 1: General Knoxx

Started playing Conan again yesterday, just killed the Elephant Demon. No idea how long the game is, but it's been a pretty basic beat-em-up so far. Kinda relaxing, really. I hope to either finish it or at the very least blow through a large chunk tonight.

I'm tracking my progress here

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Started playing Conan again yesterday, just killed the Elephant Demon. No idea how long the game is, but it's been a pretty basic beat-em-up so far. Kinda relaxing, really. I hope to either finish it or at the very least blow through a large chunk tonight.

I'm tracking my progress here
You're pretty far, probably half or more. If you're not on the higher difficulties you should be able to first-time most of the bosses.

FYI you can one-shot gorillas in the caves you just beat with rocks, or just spam-throw trash weapons off the ground at them while they're offscreen. Those things were more obnoxious than the guys with spiked shields. ;)c

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

The 360 came out when I was 15, ah the memories :allears:

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Planning my Xbox 360 purchase down the line, got a basic list of what I want to get but since I play multiplats on PS3 (Except for ports I've heard are terribad like Skyrim and Fallout which I will most certainly try) is this list up to scratch if I wanna make the most out of it?

Gears Of War (1 through to Judgement in order of release)
Halo (Never played the series before, are 1 and 2 available on 360?)
Forza Horizon or 4 (Or will both be good to get, don't want the games to be too similar)
Fable series
Viva Pinata
Kameo: Elements Of Power
Skyrim
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Crackdown

Is this a good list to get the most out of a new (old) system? :)

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Temascos posted:

Planning my Xbox 360 purchase down the line, got a basic list of what I want to get but since I play multiplats on PS3 (Except for ports I've heard are terribad like Skyrim and Fallout which I will most certainly try) is this list up to scratch if I wanna make the most out of it?

Forza Horizon or 4 (Or will both be good to get, don't want the games to be too similar)
Fable series
Viva Pinata
Skyrim
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Crackdown

Gears of war 1 is currently free if you have xbox live gold. All of the halos work on the 360, go with whatever is cheapest. The order of the story is halo wars, reach, 1, 2, odst, 3, 4 if you care. Skip kameo, it is only an ok game. If you are not a hardcore racing fan get horizon, if you are get 4.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

coyo7e posted:

You're pretty far, probably half or more. If you're not on the higher difficulties you should be able to first-time most of the bosses.

FYI you can one-shot gorillas in the caves you just beat with rocks, or just spam-throw trash weapons off the ground at them while they're offscreen. Those things were more obnoxious than the guys with spiked shields. ;)c

Nice, sounds good. I've killed all the bosses in one or two attempts so far, so I'm probably playing on Normal.

Heh, I guess I should have tried to use rocks more against the gorillas, I killed most of them by attacking a few times and then rolling away before they started another long air-punch combo. Definitely the most annoying enemy so far.

Temascos: Be certain to get the versions of the Fallout games that include the DLC, they have 4-5 each. New Vegas' is especially good. Also, get Alan Wake.

feraltennisprodigy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 1, 2013

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Temascos posted:

Fable series
Viva Pinata
Skyrim
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Crackdown

Halo Anniversary is basically just an HD version of Halo 1 so you could start with that one. Forza Horizon is pretty different from all the other Forza games - it's a lot of fun, but doesn't have nearly as much depth or longevity as Forza 4, so you may want both.

From what I understand, the second Viva Pinata game (Trouble in Paradise) makes the first one pretty much redundant, so you should probably just go with that one and skip the original.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Temascos posted:

Fable series
Viva Pinata
Skyrim
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Crackdown

I'd say scratch off Kameo and add Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, in my opinion it's still the best 360 exclusive (disclaimer, I'm not the biggest fan of shooters).

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

I am downloading Gears of War even though I've forgotten everything about the original besides the maps. Do you still hip fire the shotgun instead of aiming like Gears 3?

Winter Fresh
Oct 31, 2011
What the hell happened to Rare during the 360 era? I thought kameo was decent and viva pinata was pretty cool but why did Microsoft shift them to Kinect and stupid avatar poo poo?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Winter Fresh posted:

What the hell happened to Rare during the 360 era? I thought kameo was decent and viva pinata was pretty cool but why did Microsoft shift them to Kinect and stupid avatar poo poo?

Eurogamer did a really great Rare retrospective a while back. Basically Rare was never quite able to adapt to the changes arising from the Microsoft acquisition as well as the larger changes in the gaming industry.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Winter Fresh posted:

What really sucks is that I doubt that Perfect Dark (the original) will ever make the transition to the XBone. The XBLA version is the best ever, and more people should play it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Winter Fresh posted:

Part of this was the public in large didn't really give a poo poo about Viva Pinata or Nuts and Bolts or whatever, they were really good games but went pretty much unnoticed.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Hat Thoughts posted:

Part of this was the public in large didn't really give a poo poo about Viva Pinata or Nuts and Bolts or whatever, they were really good games but went pretty much unnoticed.

Both should be part of the free game program. With the extreme popularity of Minecraft, you'd think people would be into building the gently caress out of things these days.

The more I play the Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions game, the more impressed I am. All four of the different dimensions play similarly, but different enough to not be boring. The first 2099 stage was loving nuts with the level long, intermittent battle with Hobgoblin. Based on the first Noir level anyway, the stealth works way better than I thought it would (it was really cool how it worked in the boss fight. I like the linear, yet wide/semi-open levels. The first person fighting thing is completely unnecessary (but at least doesn't show up very often).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I ran out of HDMI ports after getting a PS4 and just realized I still have my old component cables for 360. Any reason I shouldn't just use those? I don't really care about audio quality much and I don't remember the 360 looking much better on HDMI than component cables when I first switched them out.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NESguerilla posted:

I ran out of HDMI ports after getting a PS4 and just realized I still have my old component cables for 360. Any reason I shouldn't just use those? I don't really care about audio quality much and I don't remember the 360 looking much better on HDMI than component cables when I first switched them out.

Not every TV can do 1080p over component, but probably doesn't matter, assuming you don't have a receiver.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/promotion/black-friday-xbox-360-cyber-monday

Any thoughts on these games? I already own the obvious ones to pick up.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Damnit - I hate when they don't include the DLC in these promos. All i wanted was some cheap Dark Souls DLC. I wish DLC had a sort of default 'curve' to it's pricing over time - like it dropped by 25 percent every 6 months or something.

Not specific to DkS, but it's really silly when you can buy a 'full' game for 5 or 10 bucks and then see that it has 20 or 30 dollars worth of DLC!!!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

flatluigi posted:

You mean the two poo poo movie adaptations?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

pvax posted:

Damnit - I hate when they don't include the DLC in these promos. All i wanted was some cheap Dark Souls DLC. I wish DLC had a sort of default 'curve' to it's pricing over time - like it dropped by 25 percent every 6 months or something.

Not specific to DkS, but it's really silly when you can buy a 'full' game for 5 or 10 bucks and then see that it has 20 or 30 dollars worth of DLC!!!

And now you know the reason why DLC is so prominent these days.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I was hoping to spend the last 8 months of my current Xbox Live subscription playing GTA Online and COD Ghosts, but I don't like either one so its time to go through my backlog:

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Blue Dragon
DeBlob 2
Enchanted Arms
Elder Scrolls Oblivion
Fable 2
Fable 3
Forza 2 (I'm currently playing this game)
Forza 3
Gears of War 3
GTA IV: Episodes from Liberty City
GTA V (I stopped playing singleplayer after I collected all the collectables needed for 100% completion)
Halo Wars
Infinite Undiscovery
Kameo
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Lost Planet 2
Mass Effect 2 (I think I'm almost done with this one)
Mass Effect 3
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Prince of Persia
Red Dead Redemption + Undead Nightmare
Risen 2
Rock Band 1, 2, and 3
Silent Hill Homecoming
Viva Pinata
WarTech: Senko Ronde

I think this will keep me busy for quite some time. This list doesn't even include all my unplayed XBLA games or Games on Demand titles.

Are you planning on doing this again? I'd love to join you guys. My GT is Mill Village if you want to add me.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Managed to pick up one of those 99 dollar 4GB 360 E's that Amazon had with the gift cards I got from Best Buy for trading in my launch era 360. The difference between the two models is astounding. The new model is extremely quiet, and the power brick is much lighter and smaller than the original.

I actually ended up making money by upgrading, the network adapter and the VGA cable went to Gamestop (no need for either anymore) in exchange for another Amazon card. so I pretty much ended up getting paid to upgrade my 360.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I rented Pacific Rim for my parents through Xbox a couple weeks ago and now it's recommending Django Unchained for me. Man, I'm gonna miss 360. :saddowns:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So, I don't know where else to ask this, but I see an xbox live gold year deal for 39.99, but nothing happens when I try to purchase it. Did they take the deal down but not update the dashboard or something?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Mill Village posted:

Are you planning on doing this again? I'd love to join you guys. My GT is Mill Village if you want to add me.

Throw a friend request to GT: Father Wendigo and he'll let you know the next we are doing it. Also when we get chance we're going to be play perfect dark zero too.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

How often do you guys play, and is it just limited to PDark?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

flatluigi posted:

What are the obvious ones? All of those are well worth those prices except the last two which I wouldn't even give a chance if they were a dollar. Also, I haven't played Battle block theater so i can't vouch for it.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
How is the 360 port of The Witcher 2? I seem to remember hearing about technical problems but it may have been my imagination.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't remember having any problems with it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Wow. Gears online sucks. :smith:

It's really too bad, cause I like third-person shooters but the only competitive one I can think of that I currently have access to is Gears.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

welcome posted:

How is the 360 port of The Witcher 2? I seem to remember hearing about technical problems but it may have been my imagination.

It has some notable texture pop-in, and areas that are single zones on the PC got divided on 360. It's still a really impressive port, and the issues are all pretty minor, especially if you haven't played on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Far Cry 3 is pretty good, got it for cheap, and am loving it. I of course spent my time immediately maxing out my ability to hold weapons and told the main plot to gently caress off before realizing that the main plot missions unlock your skill tree.

• Locked thread