Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bacter posted:

I would recommend the Vimes saga (and I actually did like Snuff, but I can see where you're coming from), but my FAVORITE series is probably Moist Von Lipwig. He's the star of Going Postal and Making Money, both of which come highly recommended.

Raising Steam came out recently and stars Lipwig too. I haven't finished it yet but it's a great read so far.

Lots of fond memories of Discworld Noir, so I look forward to reliving it through this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Was Discworld 2 about 25-50% "hey we've got Eric Idle, let's make Monty Python jokes" or was it just the musical number (which oozed Eric Idle from every pore) and rock candy bit (those who played it know what I mean) pushing out all other memories of the game?

By my recollection it was not heavy on Monty Python references. Plenty of references in general, mind.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bacter posted:

The game is surprisingly cagey about the voices. It's, um, either Rob Brydon, Robert Llewellyn, or Nigel Planer! They're all just credit with a few main characters' voices then just "other voices".

It's Robert Llewellyn, you can hear it really clearly if you know his voice.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Neat, this again. So the killings are called Counterweight Continent killings and Lewton's ex was seen with a man from the Counterweight Continent and they were meeting a famous assassin? Nothing suspicious there.

And they arrived three days ago, the same time that the count's driver disappeared.

Let's look for Regin.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm amazed at how much Malaclypse does know. Back when I last played I assumed everything he said was total nonsense, but there's some signal in all that noise.

Will you be returning to him with other evidence you dig up? I seem to recall he has something to say about literally everything.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Confused Llama posted:

Question for people who know more about UK dialects than I do: The cadence of the skinny palace guard's speech sounds a lot like that of John Cleese. Is he likely to be aping John Cleese specifically, or is it just a regional sound?

It's pretty close to Robert Llewellyn's normal voice.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Here's the thing. There are strong werewolf motives but if you were paying attention at the end, Lewton got stabbed with a dagger.

Wasn't he stabbed with the golden sword?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Adopting a form in between (wolfman) is not something that happens to the best of my knowledge. I may be misremembering though.

I seem to recall there are rare werewolves that can't be fully human or wolf and are stuck somewhere between. There was one living at Mrs Cake's at one point. An otherwise human woman with full-body fur.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I'm pretty sure it's unrequited love, not hate. Not even a Wonderdog can compete with Captain Carrot.

edit: I'm also thinking the mansion/greenhouse. And I'm enjoying the LP. Interesting to see a story like this in the Discworld, even if it does seem a little heavy-handed in trying to get lots of characters involved/book references in.

It really doesn't seem to be using many book characters, really. Vimes and Nobby have a perfectly good reason to be at all these crime scenes. There's Leonard da Quirm, and Gaspode, but I think that's it so far for characters that have been in books? We haven't even seen Death yet.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pidmon posted:

Does Robert Llewellyn do any other voicework in the game?

Quite a bit of it! This game had like four voice actors. Pretty sure he was the Von Uberwalds' butler, for example.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BurningStone posted:

Carlotta not intending to kill would also help explain why the letter was left at your grave: she knew you'd be getting out of it. But then that runs against the letter's tone of "I can confess this only because you'll never see it."

Ilsa left the letter. She legitimately thought he was dead, and she also wrote it a long time ago.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bruceski posted:

BTW, I'm pretty sure Death here is voiced by the deep sonorous tones of Christopher Lee, who also voiced it in the cartoons.

IMDB says it was Rob Brydon, who is also voicing Lewton. Brydon voiced Death in the previous games too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rob Brydon is a skilled impressionist. He was probably imitating Christopher Lee's performances.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Arquebus posted:

And about 80% of the cast, it sounds like.

When I said this game had four voice actors, I wasn't kidding.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

He can technically be summoned with a few cc's of mouse blood and nothing else, but THAT annoys him. Wizards tend to go for the more ornate stuff just to keep him happy.

I thought it mostly annoyed the wizards. If you don't have the dribbly candles, vile odours and eldritch glow then what's the point?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, even having played this twice before, I still thought Lewton was one of the cult killings. It would have slotted into the plot wonderfully. Aside from the fact that he didn't die, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Great LP, Bacter! I love to relive this game, it's my favourite adventure game. Everything pulls together in a satisfying way, and you can actually really see how Lewton grew into finally respecting himself enough to respect anyone else.

I second Mooncalf's death as one of the best. It's the scene I remember best from this game. Followed by some great Death dialogue.

The cult nesting twist was probably an unnecessary plot contrivance. The Anu-Anu worshippers could have failed just as easily without anyone sabotaging them. The death cult didn't even give them the summoning idea. It does, however, allow the game to flesh out the characters in the inner sanctum. They had a choice between creating a bunch of characters just for act 4 or contriving to have a load of existing characters be secretly in the cult. More than three would have felt like a contrivance in my opinion, not to mention opening up too many leads to pursue them.
So in the end I think it was a good idea even if it didn't contribute to the events of the plot much at all.

• Locked thread