Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I find these the most inconsistent group. Some of my favourites and least favourites are in this group. Wyrd Sisters to Maskerade is absolutely solid, Equal Rites and Carpe Jugulum never did much for me, and the last four (you missed the last one, BTW) basically switch to a new set of characters with the old ones playing only minor supporting roles. I really enjoyed The Wee Free Men but I felt it went downhill after that.

Hmm, I've always thought that Tiffany Aching's novels (Wee Free Men and onwards) were their own separate thing from the earlier ones, which focused on Weatherwax and co. You know, something to the effect of the difference between Rincewind's and the Wizards' novels despite Rincewind being a wizard wizzard and characters from both popping up in each others' stories.

And on Snuff: I find it best to consider it a "Vimes" book, not a Watch book. It's part of the story's main theme after all, though even then I still don't like it as much as the main Watch series books.

Anyway, I'm going to keep an eye on this LP; I only started reading the Discworld books in college but drat did I fall in love with them then, so I'm interested in seeing a video game take on the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kloro posted:

The writing for the Overlord games does have a pretty Discworld feel to it - write what you know, I guess.

I played Overlord before reading the Discworld series, and looking back, the Minions are basically evil Nac Mac Feegles. It was always hilarious just having them bumrush an area and thrash the hell out of it and its occupants.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Evil Thing posted:

Based purely on the Overlord games I'd be inclined to agree, but it's so hard to judge fairly, given that she was up against people who made videogames, and all the baggage that goes with that.

Yeah man, I remember reading an interview with Harlan Ellison about the IHNMAIMS game adaptation, and he made a big point about how your ability to write novels doesn't necessarily translate well to writing for video games. At least, I think it was Ellison and I Have No Mouth...

Overlord wasn't that bad really, IMO. A bit juvenile, sure, but it felt like early-Discworld to me, when it was a lot more about having fun with generic fantasy stereotypes than big thematic stuff.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

That's the thief's guild, actually. And their concept of insurance. you pay a little something to the guild, and you have a nice card you can show to would be muggers to tell them to pick another victim or risk the guild's wrath. The Assassins wouldn't go for something so base.

Nah, I do remember that there's an Assassin mark with the auto-contract thing. I remember the Thieves' Guild being hilariously bureaucratic, and having your stuff stolen by unlicensed dudes probably means you either file a report with the Watch or bitch at the Guild to do their job.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I can't believe I just did this, but whatever, I love Discworld and it's probably going to keep me awake if I don't get it done now so here: page 351, Corgi paperback, The Truth; two characters do some exposition on some seals stuck on the entrance of the De Worde townhouse. Specifically states that the Assassin's emblem means that anyone breaking in gets a bounty on their head.

:goonsay:

vvv: I know :negative:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 19, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Wait, nearly triangular face, large eyes...

Oh god, elves are anime :stonk:

Also, in A Hat Full of Sky, Tiffany Aching enters the elven dimension, and discovers that the scenery seems to fill in the details as she looks closer at it.

It's texture pop-in

Anime sociopaths from a world governed by the laws of Unreal Engine 3. the horror

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

nimby posted:

Took me about a year to read all of them in order, just reading a dozen or so pages before bed (and then binging the last 100 or so for each book). Then I read them a second time.

Dunno yet when I'm going to start the third read-through, though.

I'm pretty sure I've read my entire (though missing Last Hero) collection around 5 or 6 times now. I keep a book or two with me wherever I go, and if I finish that, I have digital versions on my Kindle :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

If I'm not mistaken, it's really the name of a place in the Discworld. I guess it's not to far from Llamedos. :v:

Sonuvabitch! Pratchett done got me again :argh:

• Locked thread