Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
This was a game that shouldn't have had the DmC name because it just invites all sorts of comparisons that make this game look worse.

Oh well. It's a decent game on its own merits.

The story is hot rear end though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

I don't understand why people get so angry over this game. I understand it uses a franchise with a cult-following and has a really silly story that the writers intended to be 100% serious, but I don't see why we can enjoy it just like people enjoy bad movies that have been made with complete sincerity.
Then there's this whole thing about how I dislike old Dante and mind new Donte less but I'm not gonna open that can of worms. For now.

People get passionate about things in general. So people will get upset about lots of things.

As for DmC specifically, (and I speak of when the game was announced, long before the game actually came out):

A) DMC4 had been a good game marred by obvious flaws. People wanted DMC5 to be DMC4 except with all the iffy bits ironed out.

B) DMC4 was, by a significant margin, the best-selling DMC game, so people saw no reason for Capcom to change the series' course.

C) For better or for worse, people liked (like) Cuhrazy Action Uncle Dante. The Dante shown at the DmC reveal was emphatically not that.

D) Following from the above, the devs' tried to sell people on new Dante by slamming the old one. That's not how you get series' fans to follow your direction.

E) The developers were Ninja Theory.

As for when the game itself released. Well, we can discuss that as this LP progresses.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 3, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The go-to scene for everyone who wants to mock this game's writing.

The one where people go to condemn this game's writing comes a bit later.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

StopHangingDjs posted:

Do people usually vomit profusely before fights too?

I think that usually happens after.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Being forced to use the Wiimote alone as a control scheme was pretty awkward, but by all accounts that was Sakamoto's screwup again.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

DMC4's story and storytelling was pretty bad in general.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

notZaar posted:

I think RE5 and DMC4 prove pretty well that just having good gameplay isn't enough. Both of those games were technically superior to their predecessors in graphics and gameplay, yet they are overall not as good and will not be remembered as fondly.

Level design is a critical part of the gameplay and both RE5 and DMC4 fall short to their predecessor in that aspect.

Also DMC4's boss fights were overall worse than DMC3.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I know people have complained about it before but it bears repeating that the voice-acting is pretty bad.

In particular Eva's voice actor is really not good.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also while DMC4 is not a great game, in terms of pure combat mechanics and depth it blows away not only every other DMC but pretty much every 3D action game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The visual design and theme behind the Bob Barbas fight is excellent. 10/10.

It's a shame the fight itself is pretty lousy.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

In SMT2, you kill God. Twice. :smug:

To be fair, he totally had it coming

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So what was the thought process of the people making that scene

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

Indeed. I really didn't have that big of a problem with what happens in the scene (people seem to forget that both the child and the mother were demons, not humans), just how ridiculous it all was, complete with the stupid Hollywood style shootout that ensues.

To think that actual adults thought, with a straight face, that this scene was 'edgy' with 'Shakespearean level writing' is the most unfathomable of all.

Fine, let's assume they are Evil and Demons and that makes it Okay to kill them out of hand.

You need to be a special kind of rear end in a top hat to shoot the baby, give the mother enough time to realize what just happened, then shoot the mother.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 11, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

When in the timeline does MGR take place, anyway?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Kurieg posted:

I also think that Capcom has made some game development decisions out of a desire to punish Inafune, which has hurt their reputation with western gamers. I remember that Capcom Unity got death threats after Rockman Dash 3 got cancelled. When they're basically PR reps and can't actually do much other than say "The american fans would really like this game, guys."

Speaking as a diehard Mega Man Legends fan, the reason that game got cancelled (or based on what they said, never actually greenlit) was that it was almost certainly going to lose them money.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The big climax fight against Mundus and it might as well be a Succubus reskin. Man.

Also, Vergil, don't you think it might have been a good idea to run your grand plan with your brother (since apparently you had NO IDEA he would end up against it) before killing Mundus?

And lastly, the Vergil fight here has the potential to be a decent fight if it weren't for those mini cutscenes that constantly interrupt everything. DMC3 had Vergil going through phases too but they didn't need to cut the flow of the fight to change it.

On the bright side, at least it's not as awful as DMC4's final boss.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

See, that DLC is a drat sight better than pretty much everything we got in the main game.

Thanks a whole bunch for doing this LP for us, Bumfluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

As other people have said, it's not that it's a bad game, but the DMC name immediately compares it to the some of the absolute best games in the genre, and DmC just doesn't hold up.

Presumably they wanted more people who hadn't played Devil May Cry to play this, in which case why the hell did they call it Devil May Cry?

• Locked thread