Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Not too much to say here that hasn't already been said about the plot, music and characters, i.e. dumb, overtly-serious, unlikeable. I will say that the aesthetics of Limbo are actually REALLY interesting and unique; and a hell of a lot more engaging than other locales from the DmC games.

Oh yeah, the voice-acting is bad, too. Although somebody changed the V.A.'s to Spanish and the music to a more... latino theme. And the game becomes AMAZING. (linked videos contain spoilers... though you aren't really missing much, I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

At the risk of making a mountain out of a mole-hill of the series' plots... there was the fact that in previous games, the boys' mother was human, whereas here she's an angel. That... just doesn't kinda sit right with me - it makes them... Well, they were never really supposed to be relatable in the first place, I guess, but basically, makes them seem totally removed from humanity in general.

I mean, it implies that a devil can only have it's mevil tempered by something inhuman, whereas in the previous games, it was a simple human who managed to get a devil to renounce evil... and that somehow made twins more relatable, because they were trying to be more human than devil? Sorry, this seems a bit rambly even to me, but... I don't see why they had to change the mother from being a human to being an angel

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Neruz posted:

No-oo, the angels in question were things like flaming wheels covered in eyes and interlocking golden gears that shon with the light of the sun, poo poo like that (which explains why Nephilim were things like a 9 cubit tall giant). Angels were very specifically not human because Man was made in the image of God remember? The humanoid angel we know today was popularized during the renaissance

I always liked that represenation of angels as monsterous beasts that almost defied human comprehension. Made the opening statements of 'Be not afraid!' more relevant. Also adds to the idea that devils and demons make themselves look appealing becasue they try and trick humans into being vain, whereas angels rely on their inherit 'goodness', or rather, being part of God's pantheon, to be evidence as to why people should trust them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, there may be a reason as to why Aquilla is Bob's weapon. You'd have to be a master of spin to use them correctly.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Also Bayonetta was literally marketed on getting her naked. She is there to be exploited and jacked off to.

I dunno... Bayonetta was one of these things that was done to such a ridiculous extent that I could not genuinely say for certain if the designers did that FOR sex appeal or to ridicule the extent that sex appeal can be used to 'market' a character.

Although it goes without saying that in either case, people still did jack off to that because they're utter detegenrates, of course.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

...Now, call me crazy - or maybe say that I am trying to defend Bayonetta from a bizarre angle - but I was under the impression that Bayonetta was essentially the video game version of this comic? You know, taking a 'strong but sexy' woman character, but lambasting the stupidity of the concept of 'strong but sexy' via taking it to a satire/spoof extreme, while at the same time being a really good game?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

Well it sure looks like we had our Other M moment right there :stare: No wonder people are so pissed.

That's a drat good way of putting it. I mean... it's just so agonizingly vapidly... God it's an insultingly dumb and crude way to try and add tension to the plot in any way. Although, seeing by the way the rest of the game was designed, it really isn;t that surprising that they would consider s move like this. I know some people might try and continue to say that the whole approach to DmC is a parody; but generally parodies are funny. This is just... trite tripe of the dumbest form.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The writing is bad, to be sure - but the delivery on those lines is incredibly turgid, to boot. It just seems so... half-hearted. The 'bigger dick' line like that needs a bit of; I dunno campy-zing or what-have-you. I hesitate to even call it a joke - you can get dime-a-dozen better dick jokes than that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Neruz posted:

Mistral is an evil bitch who gets off on torturing and destroying people and AI's around her, a bit of objectification is the least she deserves.

I beg your pardon? Mistral being a villain may be the truth, but she is FAR from the worst; and saying a person deserves objectification (yeah, yeah, fictional character, whatevs) is really not on - it competely re-inforces petty Men's Rights poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dear God this game was just ugly. Some things had a nice feel for it, but they were just completely overwhelmed by the sheer... unpleasant, disgusting... just... ugh. It's hard to accurately define. It's insultingly simple and crude; like somebody thinking Travis Bickle was supposed to be the hero in Taxi Driver

• Locked thread