Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

You really don't know how far that rabbit hole goes down.

Oh trust me, Splinter does. The man was always the first to break the news of the latest DmC developments. From initial character designs to game reviews (including the one with the splash banner "what is Vergil had his own game?" :allears:)

Another interesting thing to note about this picture is how practical these clothes are. Someone pointed out that in addition to being silly cool, leather makes for practical armor; granting protection and easy movement. His gloves have the thumb and index fingers removed for easy trigger-pulling. His harnesses are used to hold equipment and so on.
And look how friendly he looks :3: DMC4 Dante was my favourite Dante, cool but never pretentious. Even when he was at his silliest, he always managed to look good. He was so chill and fun in that game.

Anyway, looking forward to this LP. I'm also curious to hear from people who like this game.
One correction: unlike DMC 1-4 the style meter in this game is dependent less on weapon variation and more on damage. Which is why angel weapons barely make the meter budge, while demon weapons instantly makes it leap to full. There is diminishing returns from constant weapon use, but it's easy to rest (just shoot your guns or do a sword combo). It was mostly put in after complaints came in about a certain gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Samovar posted:

At the risk of making a mountain out of a mole-hill of the series' plots... there was the fact that in previous games, the boys' mother was human, whereas here she's an angel. That... just doesn't kinda sit right with me - it makes them... Well, they were never really supposed to be relatable in the first place, I guess, but basically, makes them seem totally removed from humanity in general.

I mean, it implies that a devil can only have it's evil tempered by something inhuman, whereas in the previous games, it was a simple human who managed to get a devil to renounce evil... and that somehow made twins more relatable, because they were trying to be more human than devil? Sorry, this seems a bit rambly even to me, but... I don't see why they had to change the mother from being a human to being an angel

You're quite right. And this bothers you for good reason: it was a major theme in DMC 1-4. Yes, even 2.
DMC stories may never have been "good" but they did have several things going for them:

1) They were presented very well.
2) The games focused on the gameplay
3) The games never take their story too seriously
4) The stories touched on some interesting themes despite their cheesy quality

Bulletstorm also has this going for it. Which is why Bulletstorm's story is much more palatable than DmC's.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I wish they did more with the game's art really; they managed to get a load of graffiti artists onboard, to submit designs for various things, and it looks really cool. But they don't really do anything with it. Something they could perhaps have done, is have the enemies form out of the graffiti maybe (they're already half-way there), have the world be more involved than just "OMINOUS MESSAGES" and moving platforms.

They would have to come from billboards though. Graffiti is street! Billboards are "the man" :v:
I'm gonna go against the mold and say that I dislike this game's graphics. All of the colours are so washed out and unpleasant. There's nothing visually distinctive or striking, except for like 1 stage.
And the less said about the grey in the grey real grey world, the better (grey). It's way too loving grey. I get what they were going for, but they overdid it by a lot.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking of which, I find that new Dante doesn't really antagonize the villains as much as old Dante. In DMC4 Dante would kick the seeds back at Echidna in this hilarious pinball fashion.
Here, Dante just kinda swears at his opponents and that's it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

WeaponBoy posted:

When the Succubus fight starts it just sort of kicks off the wub wub as soon as the cutscene ends and never really merits notice. The Demon Hunter fight at least starts the music while the cutscene is going, but it starts off as yet more wubs so again it never really catches your attention because while it's different from the rest of the carnival's music, it's not different enough to catch your notice.

Now, compare that to a game with amazingly well used music, Revengeance, in the Bladewolf fight. Notice how at the start the music is fairly generic Serious Movie Music, but around 15:10 after the knife throwing, you hear a sudden Spanish guitar chord. It instantly is at odds with what's going on and indicates a tonal shift. Obviously, I'm a bit more susceptible to this because I've been playing these types of games for so long that I reflexively know that poo poo Is About To Go Down™. You can hear the same thing in DMC4 when Nero meets Berial, the scene is largely silent until suddenly some faint rock chords start to build up, then boom, boss fight!

So yeah, great, Ninja Theory got Combichrist and Noisia to make music for them, but they utterly squandered them. Platinum got some dude named Jamie Christopherson to write
some music and then made it to the nomination selection for a Grammy.

This is absolutely on the mark.

Lair had a similar problem. It had this big, awesome, veteran band and the music was awful in the game. The music itself was good, but none of it fit the action that was going on in the game. It was this same depressing drone (to their credit, they did have a general leitmotif they stuck too), completely unfitting for a game here you incinerate people from the top of a giant dragon!

Music is supposed to enhance the visuals and action within the game. And it needs to fit the atmosphere.

DmC's songs rarely succeed at this.

They don't even fit from a design standpoint! If punk was your inspiration, then you should probably play some loving punk!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

DMC4 Dante is older and more down-to-earth than DMC3's Dante. He's still a goof who doesn't take things seriously, but he's way more chill about everything. He never gets bugged by anything and takes poo poo in stride, like when he let Nero keep Yamato. DMC4 Dante was a bro.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

yoshesque posted:

At least with the case of Bayonetta, the game is using the cutscene to load the next area.

So no, you can't get away from them. :unsmigghh:

Same thing with DmC :unsmigghh:
Also, nice avatar :)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wind God Sety posted:

Also SO3 is a great game with a decent story as far as JRPGs go :colbert:.

I warmed up to the twist because they do a lot of world-building afterwards to fit it in and make it work. Like having people talk about their characters, holding tournaments and in general going in-depth about how the Eternal Sphere fits with their society.

DATA SHOULD BEHAVE AS SUCH! is one of my favourite boss quotes. Ditto with Ethereal Queen's (SPOILERS A TRI-ACE GAME HAS ETHEREAL QUEEN AS AN OPTIONAL BOSS!) Celestial Star incantation.
Fayt Leingod is an amazing name too :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I never played Darksiders, but are you sure they don't use the actual definition of the word Nephilim? As in "a being that is the spawn of an angel and a human"?
Because that's what it is in the book of Enoch.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

P.N.T.M. posted:

In every other DMC, Eva is Dante's love interest :gonk:

Not...really. Trish acts all flirty, but their relationship is platonic. They're more like demon hunting bros.

Dante has no luck with women.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Right, there was a little somethin' missing from this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGL5Tfr4zCk

This is the CG trailer NT made to promote the game.

Just...just watch it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Even when this Dante does a nice thing, he's still douchey about it so you still hate him.

Pesky Splinter posted:

It is know that Capcom did have to keep the leash tight on NT at various times. At least one was toning down gore, nudity, and beheadings, which NT kept trying to push. Then there's the very first announcement trailer, with Dante being tortured...makes you wonder what this could have ended up as.

For those who haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhoNEuH8KmA

Honestly, no matter how many times I watch it, I cannot see this game being good on any level. You guys say a psychological mindfuck might make for a cool DMC, but I disagree for two reasons:
1) That's not what DMC is about. And even if you reboot it, it's still ostensibly an action game and psychological elements would feel out of place. You'd either wish the fighting was over so you can get back to the brain-screwing, or for the game to stop loving around and throw enemies at you.
2) There is no way NT could have managed to make a good story out of it. It's guaranteed that the story would have a cheap twist. NT would never admit it, probably calling it "Shakespearean" or something.
...which, ironically, it would be in this case.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ImpAtom addressed this point. Bayonetta is sexualized sure, but she still has personality and agency. Ditto with Jeanne. I think the game works explicitly because it's not about whether Bayo is a strong female character. She's just a character with her own motivations and agenda that has nothing to do with feminism or sexuality. That's why that comic doesn't quite fit this argument.

Unless you're just talking about her design. In that case I'm not gonna argue.

Pesky Splinter posted:

More sexual poo poo has happened in this game, than in the entirety of Bayonetta. Nobody gets a blowjob in Bayonetta, nor is someone hosed doggy style.

This is an interesting point actually. And also why Bayo isn't as sexist as people claim it is. Though don't forget the Joy's introduction.
Really shows where both developers' properties lie.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sorry dude, this game is to Bayonetta what Front Mission: Evolved is to Armored Core: 4 Answer. And stopping the Bayonetta comparisons is really hard considering what the next level is.

Yes, the level. Not the cutscene.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What happened was that we watched Vergil murder a hostage's child and then the hostage for no reason. Then we played through NT's version of Bayonetta's Route 666. When I first time I saw this level, the first thing I wrote on SA was "Holy poo poo we are literally cribbing Bayonetta!"

This also marks the game's turning point. The design team basically ran out of ideas after this point. So the next few levels are easily the worst.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

Warrior Within's dialogue and tonal shift might have been kinda dumb but beyond that the game was fantastic. :colbert:

Except for the bug that made the game unwinnable if you use the portals too much.

VV It was okay. In WW's defense, the tone was understandable because the Prince was hosed up and haggered from being chased by an unstoppable, immortal and somewhat omniscient Time Guardian. The dude probably got no sleep after SoT. On the other hand, Kaileena and Shadee are just the devs trying to make the game "darker, sexier, better" and I have no argument on that front.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 12, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

VERGIL KILLED A WOMAN AND HER CHILD!

It's almost like SPOILERS! Vergil is not a good guy. SPOILERS!

He shot a woman's unborn child to piss off Mundus and as the woman is in tears he caps her in the head. Said woman looks genuinly anguished and shows more emotion than the rest of the cast. It sort of stands out, dude.

And at this point, you still think Vergil is "a good guy". Not a nice guy, but a good guy. He is obsessive about overthrowing the demons, for better or worse. We get next to no development on his character, nor has he ever been an unreasonable person thus far. He doesn't even seem to hate the demons that much, though that may be because of the weak script an voice acting. So seeing him do such a needlessly cruel action is really loving weird.
There's not even a justification for it, as we'll see.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly the only interesting thing about the comic is the mental gymnastics required to understand Vergil's character development and how it ties with his personality in the game and especially the DLC.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Neruz posted:

How old is Dante by the time of DMC4 anyway? I'd assume that being Nephilim half-demon gives him a somewhat extended lifespan if not functional immortality.

Remember that Nephilim is NT's add-on.

And he was in his 30s. He was different from DMC3's Dante; he was more mature, laid back and easy going. He just wanted to shoot guns and do Shakespeare monologues with demons.
DMC4 Dante was chills. I'd hang with DMC4 Dante.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be fair, DMC had that problem too.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

notZaar posted:

It's funny how MGR does almost the same thing but it doesn't feel nearly as stupid. Probably because of how god drat fantastic Armstrong is. He makes Mundus look like a dull turd in the gutter.

I have words about that section, but let's wait till the LP gets there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I was about to say that sounds more like Sundowner. Hell, it's even in his theme:

When the wind is slow
And the fire’s hot
The vulture waits to see what rots

Oh how pretty
All the scenery

This is nature’s sacrifice

When the air blows through
With a brisk attack
The reptile tail ripped from its back

When the sun sets
We will not forget the
Red sun over paradise

Additionally, it talks about "finding peace within ourselves, no need for a cure" which can mean humanities treatment of nature, or it can mean that humanity should embrace its internal bloodthirstiness. No need for a cure.
Actually, he could be talking to Raiden here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I flinched irl when I read a rumor that NT was gonna do an Okami reboot.

Never happened to me before or since.

• Locked thread