Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
As someone who's beaten dmc3 aprox 10000000 times, I should've probably been one of the first people threatening Jihad against ninja theory and capcom.

However, my opinion of this game has always been that if you've never played any of the good original DMC games (like the OP) then DmC is a pretty loving awesome action game, given that DmC is at it's core (and because of a lot of work by people at capcom) just a not as good version of those games (IE it goes from being an A+ to like a B-/C+). However, if you've ever actually played those games before (or bought the recent HD collection) then there is literally zero point in playing this game over those. It'd be like watching transmorphers over transformers or something.

I mean it's way better then DMC2 or basically every other hack and slash game put out by a western studio (even though, again, the gameplay was largely tuned by capcom at the last minute and nearly everything NT original is boring as gently caress to play, but I digress) but "isn't as bad as this game that almost killed the series" isn't really saying anything.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

With the ps2 graphics they sure LOOK the same with their hair down, at any rate.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

What's always bothered me the most about THAT cutscene before the slurm queen was "MY NAME, by the way, IS DANTE"

I'm fully aware of how :spergin: this is.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Personally I thought that it was one of the better written scenes in the game

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

For how much DmC weirdly wants to copy stuff from older games, the fact that Eryx doesn't have a divekick really confuses me. Maybe they felt it wouldn't work very well without lock-on.

NikkolasKing posted:

Now...to be "that guy."

You can like whatever you like, but what exactly about Dantes lines in dmc3 is "anime"?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

notZaar posted:

Women can be misogonystic same as men. Not to mention the whole male gaze thing going on with her design.

notZaar's profile posted:

notZaar claims to be a male.

You're basically saying you know what women think better then they do, yeah? Seems a little hypocritical for being such a white knight.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

"Only misogynists like to look at boobs" - notZarr, 2014.

ImpAtom posted:

This conversation is going to really bad places and we should probably just drop it. The next video is going to have plenty else to talk about anyway.

I agree

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I think my favorite part of that scene is when all the SWAT open fire on the heroes from about 10 feet away in an open field with machine guns and miss completely.

They don't even try to dodge or have kat use some semen magic to make a shield or anything, just a group of soldiers all aiming at the ground, even when kat just loving stands there and dante has to slooooolwly come and princess carry her away, being shot at the entire time.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 11, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

You're not going to explore in DMC. The mission structure actively discourages it and most places are directly on your path or designed that you are going directly there because everything else is locked or you have some sort of time-pressure discouraging you from going anywhere else. There are hidden items/missions/ect but they are usually directly in your way or directly behind you, not something off the beaten path. This applies to DmC too with its hidden keys and doors and secret items.

Even if there's only one single path, the way DMC1/3 are designed where you wander around a big building looking for the next square key to put into a square hole feels more engaging. It's mainly just the part where you can walk back to previous areas (usually) without getting locked out and go "where the hell do I go now?" in a few parts. I mean, there's nothing to do there 90% of the time, but since videogames are essentially all about tricking your brain into thinking they aren't as limited as they are, it's nice to have.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't.

When did I say it was nonlinear? It's just slightly less railroady because sometimes in dmc3 you see a door and then only open it three missions later, or you have to backtrack a bunch to get a blue orb or something.

In DMC the levels are 100% segmented from eachother and you are always walking/grappling in one direction. Both games are linear, but to say that DMC isn't more linear is straight up untrue.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

DMC2 has about the same as DMC1 and 3 taking into account Lucia's disc. There is some variety - Lucia gets exclusive use of the worst levels of the game, while Dante gets only slightly less terrible levels.

On the other hand, Lucias first mission is probably the best overall level in the entire game while Dante has to fight the infested helicopter.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

The very first videogame thing Inafune did after making a big stink about how Capcom/Japanese Games Are Bad and making his own company was assisting with/personally appearing in this loving game. After that he made a kickstarter so he could make a total clone re-imagining of those games he made twenty years ago. His up-coming game Azure Striker appears to be gunstar heroes with only one weapon and replacing all the personality with anime cliches.

seems a little two faced, s'all I'm saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I always thought it was weird that they made an enemy (dreamwalkers? the teleporting sword dudes) that was a way better Vergil boss then the actual Vergil boss.

• Locked thread