Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I like Berlin's coat of arms here...

translation: Berlin fights back! No place for Nazis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

alcyon posted:

Huh, that can't be a coincidence, how curious. The wiki page doesn't mention it, but I wager the banner must have been a copy of the Dutch Republic's bloodflag. That one had been in use from sometime around the late 1580-1590's. Or maybe the design predates both uses?

Well it was flown in Massachusetts but New York was originally dutch so it could've been passed down.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I like Berlin's coat of arms here...

translation: Berlin fights back! No place for Nazis!

My favourite part of this is that the bear is red.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Flå municipality's coat of arms. :black101:

Jon Leibowitz
Feb 11, 2004

Manitoba & Ontario

:effort:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Wikipedia editors' efforts are the best :allears:

Ullensaker , Norway

And this one's Finnish, I think

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Town of Otepää ["bear's head"] has a bear, obviously

It's a really chill bear. :unsmith:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Alhazred posted:

The coat of arms to the Norwegian Church:

The axes symbolise St. Olaf and occur in several other coats of arms:

The National Coat of Arms:

Fylke (county) of South Trøndelag

Hordaland fylke:

Telemark fylke:

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Exclamation Marx posted:

And this one's Finnish, I think
Yes, that's the coat of arms of Kökar, pop. 244.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Some of my native Swedens municipality and province flags are pretty rad:

A saint slaying a dragon, municipality of Mora.

Söderhamn's flag, a pinnace with two muskets. Looks kind of pirate-y.

Alvesta flag, bees and a winged train wheel. The winged wheel symbolizes the towns former importance as a railway junction, and it resembles the logo of Sweden's state rail company. The bees symbolize the diligence of industry, as it was an industrial town. Nothing to do with honey.

Speaking of which, Nykvarn also has an insect in its flag, but literally represents a species of mayfly native to a lake in the municipality.

Ängelholm. Badass salmon. There are several Swedish municipal flags that feature salmon, but the context these are in is hilarious.

Härnösand, a beaver eating a pike. Do beavers eat fish at all? The origin of the flag dates back to 1586, when the burgess of the town, upon been granted town priviligies, wrote to the King asking what should be the offical seal of the town. His reply: "The skole hafue en suart bäffuer medh en giedda i munnen". Which is old swedish for "It should have a black beaver with a pike in it's mouth". No justification was given, but it makes some sense, as beavers were very common at the time and fish was an important resource for the region.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Dec 10, 2013

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Falukorv posted:

Some of my native Swedens municipality and province flags are pretty rad:

Mine's cooler. It has a horse. :colbert:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
NSFW I guess?

In words of the great Tom Waits:
When you're tired and you're hungry and you want something cool,
Got something better than a swimming pool
:quagmire:

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Austria-Hungary's coat of arms became ridiculously complicated towards the end.

But they pale in comparison to this monstrosity. The personal heraldry of Baldomero Espartero, Prince of Vergara.

I've always thought that South Carolina's flag makes it look vaguely North African.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Huh, why is the cross tilted to one side on top of Hungary's shield?

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

The Hungarian crown actually looks like that. Someone bent it when they didn't close its storage chest properly, and the monarchy decided to just leave it that way.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Falukorv posted:

Härnösand, a beaver eating a pike. Do beavers eat fish at all? The origin of the flag dates back to 1586, when the burgess of the town, upon been granted town priviligies, wrote to the King asking what should be the offical seal of the town. His reply: "Beaver with a fish. gently caress it."

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

El Negocio posted:

The Hungarian crown actually looks like that. Someone bent it when they didn't close its storage chest properly, and the monarchy decided to just leave it that way.

Wow, that is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lichtenstein posted:

My favourite part of this is that the bear is red.

A bear is very appropriate symbol for Berlin since Berlin literally means "Little Bear".

origami manatee
Oct 21, 2010

I made food

SirPhoebos posted:

Gentlemen, BEHOLD!

The Holy Roman Empire

Someone please explain to me what the crowned fiery turds on the wings are supposed to be. I tried to find out a couple months ago and couldn't and I haven't slept very well since

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Every true Englishman loves Marmite.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

El Negocio posted:

I've always thought that South Carolina's flag makes it look vaguely North African.

:stare: Vaguely? That looks like the flag of some hardcore Arabic emirate.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

origami manatee posted:

Someone please explain to me what the crowned fiery turds on the wings are supposed to be. I tried to find out a couple months ago and couldn't and I haven't slept very well since
Looks like thunderbolts or divine fire to me.

This is a better picture but none of the captions say what those things are, only that it is THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE WITH ALL ITS MEMBERS, printed in Augsburg by David de Neckar.

HEY GUNS has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Dec 10, 2013

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I think they're meteors. That Quaternion Eagle is from around 1510, I believe; the first 'officially' observed meteor was in Ensisheim in 1492, and was delivered to King Maximilian, then son of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III, who himself became Holy Roman Emperor in 1508. So, it makes sense that a flaming rock from heaven would be associated with that Emperor.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

One Swell Foop posted:

I think they're meteors. That Quaternion Eagle is from around 1510, I believe; the first 'officially' observed meteor was in Ensisheim in 1492, and was delivered to King Maximilian, then son of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III, who himself became Holy Roman Emperor in 1508. So, it makes sense that a flaming rock from heaven would be associated with that Emperor.
Interesting. Maximilian kept two pieces for himself, even.

origami manatee
Oct 21, 2010

I made food
This seems to be a plausible explanation. Accept all the love of Friesland!

(it's actually water lily leaves but the flag still rules)

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

:stare: Vaguely? That looks like the flag of some hardcore Arabic emirate.

Yeah, when I moved from Canada to the US, I had no idea that was the flag of an actual state. The moon makes it look more like the Turkish or Algerian flag.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
I have always loved Aeroflot's emblem.

Also... :what: ... hammer and sickle is an unicode character: ☭

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Best flag which has already been posted will forever be Wales. I also have a strong love of the flag of St Jordi, which is effectively the "St George"s / Valentine's day of Barcelona solely because I get to see the flag of England (where I'm from) next to the flag of Catalunya (where I live and work) and it's like we're friends.

Side note: The best national anthem goes to Uruguay. It's like something from Mary Poppins!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azx7dcS0lFA

frytechnician has a new favorite as of 13:50 on Dec 11, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jon Leibowitz posted:

Manitoba & Ontario

:effort:

Most of the Union Jack-derived flags are pretty terrible.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Most of the Union Jack-derived flags are pretty terrible.

One of the few exceptions:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Best Union Flag derivative is Niue's:

Let's just slap some stars all over it

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I really like my states flag (ohio)

its not even shaped like a regular flag

made of bees
May 21, 2013
The Burakumin are an outcast group in Japan, similar to India's untouchables. The Burakumin Liberation League is one of the larger burakumin rights organizations in Japan.

Anyway, I thought their flag was pretty cool:

pre-WWII version:

Yeah, that's a crown of thorns. I'm not exactly sure why it's a crown of thorns, but it's still pretty :black101:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

Best Union Flag derivative is Niue's:

Let's just slap some stars all over it

That's what they all seem to have done. Tuvalu:

I think the Union Jack itself is actually a cool flag, but putting it in a corner somewhere is just lazy design.

Vexillology

SplinteredMind
Jan 7, 2005

"I have to nap up. If I don't get a solid five, it kills my sunny disposition."

The good old boxing kangaroo :australia:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

frytechnician posted:

Best flag which has already been posted will forever be Wales. I also have a strong love of the flag of St Jordi, which is effectively the "St George"s / Valentine's day of Catalunya solely because I get to see the flag of England (where I'm from) next to the flag of Catalunya (where I live and work) and it's like we're friends.

Side note: The best national anthem goes to Uruguay. It's like something from Mary Poppins!

That's actually the official flag of the city of Barcelona. Sant Jordi is Barcelona's patron saint. (as well as a patron saint of Catalunya, England, Georgia and a ton of other places, the dude got around)

The cross of St. George is a pretty common vexillological symbol.

SaltyJesus has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Dec 11, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Phlegmish posted:

That's what they all seem to have done. Tuvalu:

I think the Union Jack itself is actually a cool flag, but putting it in a corner somewhere is just lazy design.

Vexillology

You're right, but the reason so many flags are like that is because they're derivatives of the Blue Ensign or Red Ensign, which are traditional naval flags.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

frytechnician posted:

I always found our anthem hilarious because it's really violent and talks about battles and glorious victory but if we actually fought someone we would get our poo poo pushed in.

Here's a bit of it (we call ourselves Orientals):

Orientals, our nation or the grave,
Liberty or with glory we die.
Its the vows that our souls pronounce
and which heroically we will fulfill.

Liberty, Liberty, Orientals.
This is the outcry which our nation saved
and its braves in fierce battles
of sublime enthusiasm filled.
This Holy gift of Glory we deserved
Tyrants: Tremble!
Tyrants: Tremble!
Tyrants: Tremble! Ah!
Liberty in combat we will Cry Out!
and even dying, Freedom we shall also Shout!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You're right, but the reason so many flags are like that is because they're derivatives of the Blue Ensign or Red Ensign, which are traditional naval flags.

Which is another reason Niue's is so weird with its yellow/gold field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

A bear is very appropriate symbol for Berlin since Berlin literally means "Little Bear".

No it doesn't. The idea that the name derives from "Bär" is folk etymology. The most likely origin of the name is Polabian "Berl" or "Birl", which means "marsh".

• Locked thread