Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Welcome to Season 4's League of Legends thread!
Previous thread
Newbie Thread
Competitive League of Legends Thread
Fantasy League of Legends Thread
:siren: Get Tristana, Alistar, and Garen for free!:siren:

What is League of Legends?
League of Legends is a multiplayer online battle arena game based loosely off of the famous DotA mod of WC3. They have changed sufficiently over the past few years that they're both different games. The objective is to destroy the enemy base controlling one of many champions and duking it out against other player champions or AI. Like many games of this genre, it is completely free to play and has microtransactions that only change the game cosmetically. There are four game maps currently: Summoner's Rift(5v5), Twisted Treeline(3v3), Howling Abyss(5v5 in a single lane), and Dominion(5v5 with different objectives).

What's the difference between League and similar games?
-No gold loss on death
-Summoner Spells, powerful abilities on fairly long cooldowns that can change the outcome of fights
-Recall, a spell that takes your champion back to base to purchase items
-Level caps at 18
-Some champions possess other resources than mana and are gated by cooldowns
-Mana Costs/Cooldowns/CC effects are typically small. The strongest CC lasts 3.5 seconds but has to be used at extreme ranges.
-Scaling for mage champions
-Runes and Masteries, allowing customization for specific roles

How do I earn Champions and the other stuff?
There are two currencies in League of Legends. The first is IP, indicated by the little pair of swords on your client. These points are used for buying champions, rune pages, and runes in particular and are earned by playing the game. The second is RP, indicated by the little fist icon to next to the swords. This is currency you pay a bit of real cash to get. These are redeemable for champions, skins, packs (skins and champions bundled), rune pages, name changes, and a variety of other services.

I know plenty of people that have never purchased a single champion with RP. You can easily play the game without having to pay a cent.

There is also a leveling system where your account goes from 1-30. As you get further along and to 30, you will be pitted against other 30s, and they will have full access to runepages and mastery setups. You can purchase(with real money) boosts of IP and XP if you want to speed up the process.

Rune Pages

So, one of the major customizable features of League of Legends is the rune page. You start with two if you've recently made a new account. There are three tiers of runes.
:siren:NEVER BUY T2 RUNES.:siren:

Here's a few generalist pages that will get you by once you hit 30. Feel free to purchase T1 runes of these types as you level up:

AD:

Attack Damage Reds / Armor Yellows / Magic Resist (Flat or Scaling) Blues / Attack Damage Quintessences
This is ideal for your Marksmen, AD Bruisers top, a variety of Junglers, and Supports. Anything that emphasizes hitting harder with your auto attacks or physical damage spells will use this well.

AP:

Magic Penetration Reds / Armor Yellows / Magic Resist (Flat or Scaling) Blues / Ability Power Quintessences
Ideal for casters of virtually any type, these gives you a fair bit of penetration for your spells, defenses, and a bit of Ability Power to scale your magic damage spells early on.

There are many, many more runes that you can use. Marksmen and some bruisers utilize life steal quints, some Junglers use attack speed reds, and movespeed quints are incredibly valuable for all classes. They are all purchasable with IP.

The META
While a subject of contention between everyone, the current composition in Summoner's Rift (most popular map and game mode presently) is something like this:
Toplane - Bruiser
Midlane - Casters / Assassins
Jungler - Anything that'll take Smite
Botlane - Marksman(ADC) + Support

This has been the golden standard for several years now and thus far it hasn't changed a whole great lot. I haven't recently looked into super strong picks for the past few months, but you can find them pretty easily.

Streamers
Let me know if you're a streamer, link it and I'll do my best to put it in here.
http://www.twitch.tv/saltyteemo/ SaltyTeemo - Bronze 5 Featured Games
https://www.twitch.tv/mmmyes Fourte's Stream
https://www.twitch.tv/mynameiskog Technorobot/K0g's Stream
https://www.twitch.tv/ohmarcy Marceline Abadeer / Oh Marceline
http://www.twitch.tv/jumblejon Jumble Jon
http://www.twitch.tv/daemonlasher Daemonlasher / Wrath

Rioters
There are quite a few Rioters such as Brackhar that post in the thread from time to time. Frgrbrgr is a contractor with Riot too If you are one, feel free to let us know!

S4 Changes
-Wards have been changed dramatically since Season 3. As it currently stands, any one player can buy and have up 3 green wards that last for 3 minutes and one pink ward that has 5HP, is visible, but detects all green wards. Buy them regardless of your role! Your support can no longer cover the entire map in wards while you pick up parts of an item!

-There are three new chains of items that are free at the start of the game. There's the Ward Trinket(YELLOW), Clairvoyance(BLUE), and Sweeper(RED). They upgrade automatically to a higher version when your champ level is 9. You can purchase the third tier for 475 to upgrade them.

-Supports now gain a shitload more gold than previous seasons. They can build real items now, leading to just about anything under the sun potentially working as a support.

-Supports now have 3 item build paths for passive gold generation. They are all 365G, upgrade once for gold and a second time+an item to have more advanced stats and an active associated.

-Jungle has changed a bit as well. There is a new mob called Wight located adjacent to blue buff on either side that hits reasonably hard early on and rewards a good bit of gold. Jungle items have been changed around slightly. All three of the Spirit Stone paths give Conservation, a stacking buff that awards more gold when killing a large jungle monster, while Wriggle's Lantern encourages heavy farming.

-Dragon's rewards for killing it scale as the game goes on. The dragon is worth less gold significantly earlier on than it used to. It grants scaling XP as well as gold on death so it's valuable throughout the game.

-First Blood offers significantly reduced gold early on.

As always: :frogsiren:BUY WARDS:frogsiren:

Quick Links:
Official Site
Stat Tracking
Quickfind.kassad.in - Made by our very own Biohazard, give it a shot as an alternative to LoLNexus.
LoL Replay
Mumble Info
General League News
League Wiki
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3579028 Fourte's Let's Play thread
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.synirc.net/#leagueoflegends Hop in IRC! SynIRC #LeagueOfLegends
Hop in League's chat channel SilverSquid to get games going!

Also:

Heads up: No more scoreboards.jpg

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
What game event was that first sign at, TI3?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
SaltyTeemo should be a link in the OP, IMO

Edit: Oh I am hella dumb and it is it just had broken BBCode. My bad.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

What game event was that first sign at, TI3?

I believe it was at NA Finals.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Good thread title without having to be flagged for losses!

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Endgame fantasies?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

canada jezus posted:

Endgame fantasies?

Xelnath posted:

Supports never get to achieve an endgame fantasy due to losing all of their income to vision expenditures

It was something a dev said recently about the transition to Season 4.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

canada jezus posted:

Endgame fantasies?

Full builds at 30 minutes on the regular.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
[Placeholder for calling Nidalee a piece of poo poo]

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

How long until someone complains about their Ranked experience being brought down by :siren:DIAMOND SMURFS:siren: this time? We'll find out!

On an unrelated topic, does anyone have any general tips for Jungling in the pre-season? Everything feels all hosed up and weird and I don't know what to build on anyone anymore.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Coming in to breathe that new thread smell and also to say that Latin America tribunal comic is hilarious and is the art direction LoL should have gone in all along. :can:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

This is loving wonderful and I hope that every League goon, no matter how young or old, will forever recognize this reference.

Since it got brought up in the other thread but I don't think it was ever answered: What the hell does happen when it's all Fiora in O4A and multiple ults start going off?

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Despite all indicators to the contrary, this is a fun game.

Also just putting this on page 1: Players are matched up by a hidden skill rating number called Elo or MMR, which is completely separate from League. If you're getting matched up against gold and platinum players while you're bronze or silver, its because either your better than your league (and you'll get a ton of LP per win) or they're worse than their league and either lucked out or boosted their way to their league. In the near future bad players will probably drop leagues again, but for now this is the system we've got.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This game sucks and so does everyone who plays it :argh:

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Someone in game told me I would regret buying infernal nasus once I looked up what the symbols on his necklace mean, but I can't find it anywhere. Someone wanna help me out?

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
We should probably get a spreadsheet going for goons who want to get in on some Christmas mystery gifting. If we add each other now then hopefully the 2 week grace period will be over with enough time to spread a little love around.

Also I have no idea how to set up an online spreadsheet so if someone else could hook us up I would be very grateful!

I think this is worthy of front page posting too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEMm3oCEJ2g

TERRIBLE SHITLORD fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 27, 2013

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is a bad game and nobody should play it.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Hopefully this will be my only post in this thread.

call biohazard504 on synirc for a good time, babes

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Someone in game told me I would regret buying infernal nasus once I looked up what the symbols on his necklace mean, but I can't find it anywhere. Someone wanna help me out?
I recognize alpha and omega so it's probably some religious person

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Flameingblack posted:

I recognize alpha and omega so it's probably some religious person

Religious fanatic who claims that anybody who buys the skin is selling their soul to the devil.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not to dredge up anything about Yasuo's design, but after hearing his lines (Here they are), am I alone in feeling like the bits of faux-east-Asian language (or maybe actual east Asian language) when he uses his skills are just really out of place with and detract from the rest of his lines? I mean I get that Ionia is supposed to be blatantly Not-Asia and he is clearly supposed to be a samurai/cowboy samurai, but those lines don't end up making him feel authentic when he's voiced by Liam O'Brien. They just end up making him feel like a guy who watches anime (only in the original language of course :smug:) and orders katanas on the internet, but not in the fun, goofy Yi/Raiden way.

Edit: The long pauses in some of his lines without animation context also make it sound like he's trying to figure out how to finish his sick burns, which is funny.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 27, 2013

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

chumbler posted:

Not to dredge up anything about Yasuo's design, but after hearing his lines (Here they are), am I alone in feeling like the bits of faux-east-Asian language (or maybe actual east Asian language) when he uses his skills are just really out of place with and detract from the rest of his lines? I mean I get that Ionia is supposed to be blatantly Not-Asia and he is clearly supposed to be a samurai/cowboy samurai, but those lines don't end up making him feel authentic when he's voiced by Liam O'Brien. They just end up making him feel like a guy who watches anime (only in the original language of course :smug:) and orders katanas on the internet, but not in the fun, goofy Yi/Raiden way.

Edit: The long pauses in some of his lines without animation context also make it sound like he's trying to figure out how to finish his sick burns, which is funny.
There's not really an asia in Runtera so they can have whatever accents they want to :v:

El Spider
Nov 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

his voice sounds like a grown up ezreal

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

chumbler posted:

Not to dredge up anything about Yasuo's design, but after hearing his lines (Here they are), am I alone in feeling like the bits of faux-east-Asian language (or maybe actual east Asian language) when he uses his skills are just really out of place with and detract from the rest of his lines?

He's actually shouting some things in Japanese when he uses Steel Tempest and Wind Wall. Everything else is kinda indecipherable.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I look forward to them dumpstering every part of Sivir's kit so she can be bad for another year.

PBE nerfs seem reasonable again though, given that her winrate actually rose last patch.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Had a 5 viktor vs 5 soraka game that was a bunch of fun. Went hybrid viktor and could split push all day. Joined late so I was underleveled but zoning a chaser out with your w and then taunting is pretty funny.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I wish people would stop picking Mundo in All for One. He's not fun at all to play as or against because he just automatically invalidates whatever the enemy team does.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Yasuo's voice is really cheesy in a good way.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Sweet! new thread. I was just stopping by to share our latest 'Whats Old is New' article - this week featuring Katarina and Janna. Put some extra effort in to show the comparison between the old voices as well, with some mini videos.

Click:

And for people who really don't like clicking away from SA, here are some direct images:

I also put links to the old articles at the bottom for those who are interested, in case you want to see Kayle and Trynamere or Gangplank and Ashe.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
I don't post too often, but I would be in for some Goon on Goon mystery gifting this Christmas.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

chumbler posted:

Because he is voiced by Liam O'Brien, he sounds like he is from an anime.

Which is perfect!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

League of Legends is made by a bunch of Japanophiles, so it's not that big a surprise that they'd use Japanese in a way that's out of place and very vaguely racist. Ionia is just one big mess of Asian cultures without any distinction. There's a Korean fox and a Chinese monk and a Japanese samurai but they're all apparently from the same culture and country?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

chumbler posted:

I actually like that part and the shouting he does best out of the whole thing.

When I hear his english voice, all I can think of is this mostrosity for some reason.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

BORK! BORK! posted:

[Placeholder for calling Nidalee a piece of poo poo]

Took too many posts. gently caress Nidalee.

I think Yasuo looks cool, kind of like this guy from Samurai Showdown http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haohmaru or maybe the guy from Ninja Scroll. I don't know I don't watch anime.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

They should make a Dragonball Z Lucian skin. Turn his walk animation to a flying animation and make his guns invisible. There, done.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

Sexpansion posted:

Took too many posts. gently caress Nidalee.

I think Yasuo looks cool, kind of like this guy from Samurai Showdown http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haohmaru or maybe the guy from Ninja Scroll. I don't know I don't watch anime.

I dunno, I think he is more inspired by Mitsurugi with a splash of Auron.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Observe Me posted:

I dunno, I think he is more inspired by Mitsurugi with a splash of Auron.

If only he was based on Yoshimitsu...

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
I guess this might help in the OP - I write for Lolesports as a contractor which I guess technically means I work for Riot? Feel free to add me if you think it might benefit people who have questions.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Waverhouse posted:

Coming in to breathe that new thread smell and also to say that Latin America tribunal comic is hilarious and is the art direction LoL should have gone in all along. :can:

Latin America tribunal comic? Whats that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

This patch is butts

• Locked thread