Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Bubble-T posted:

Nasus players, do you have any tips for deciding when to start using Q on your lane opponent? Lately I get to about level 9 and start wondering if I shouldn't stop farming it for a bit to force my lane opponent out of lane. Sometimes I all-in them later on and realise I probably could have done so much earlier.

Don't ever give up a Cannon minion, or probably not a melee minion for it. But if they are in the minion line to last hit and aren't aggroing on you I like to give them a slap. It reminds them who the big dog is and that ANY MOMENT you could crush them like an insect. Occasionally Q'ing them can help make them a little more wary about all-inning you. I decide if its worth using Q's on them partially depending on how aggro on you they have they been so far in lane. If they're going to all-in you as soon as you Q them once, probably not worth it. If it's going to make them back off for a second, punch the poo poo out of them and take the lane momentum. It also depends on what kinds of sustain they have. If they are just going to heal it right back up then don't bother. If you think you can 1v1 them or you think your jungler is going to swing top soon, slap them once or twice to prime them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So far I have to say I really dislike the season 4 changes. Partially because trinkets are kind of a dumb idea. Reduce ward availability -> Remove Oracle's to make wards survive longer ->Give most of the team free wards -> Give (most likely) the jungler the means to remove wards periodically (This making an early gank more possible) -> Wards are everywhere due to it's long cooldown -> We're back to where we started.

The bot lane changes overall are silly. I don't think supports should need lots of gold, because the difference between a good support and a bad one used to be more about that. Not everyone and everywhere needs to play the same despite what Riot's been trying to do for the last 3 or so years but I guess they don't agree. Not to mention their idea of making supports scale better is really wonky.

I dunno. I've been back to the game for somewhere around 2 months now, but it's probably just not the game for me.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Anatharon posted:

You're not violently car OP, who are you.

You didn't even post LoLthread.jpg!

Seriously though for a moment, I asked this in the last thread. Out of curiosity did that random guy who I believe made a custom pirate Kat skin that got turned into an official one ever get anything for it? Or was it not like that.

What's LoLthread.jpg?

Someone should dredge that back up, I'd put it on there for sure.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 27, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Servaetes posted:

What's LoLthread.jpg?

It's an old picture that was something like "Warchicken complains about losing, violently car white knights Riot, Brakhar posts something informative, repeat". There was a few more steps to it, of course. :v:

King of the Karp
Oct 8, 2010

KillerQueen posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with Jungle Vi in ranked recently, but I almost never get more than a handful of kills How do people build this thing? I usually go golems>defensive boots>bork>other defensive item (usually randuins or visage) and then the game is over.

If you want to get a lot of kills, that's not the right way to build her. It works, but it won't get you a lot of kills. If I want to build offense on her I go spirit stone - mobility boots - lizard spirit. That combination of damage and mobility makes Vi really strong early. Also, max q first if you aren't already. Getting two dashes off during a gank almost guarantees a kill. After that I just build tank items, generally Locket and Randuin's to maximize team fight utility. Last game I did this I was 6/1 after landing phase ended, and from there it's easy to clean up.

On the other hand, sometimes not getting a ton of kills is okay. In those cases building tanky is good, and focus on securing dragons and pushing down towers. That's really just as good. I'd build tanky in these situations because it's likely you'll be teamfighting earlier than usual. Focus on initiating, but also be aware that you may be needed to protect your carries, so don't ignore them.

Vi is really strong and versatile, and one of my favorite junglers right now. Just focus on what your team needs you to do, and buy the items that fill that role best. It's okay if you aren't getting a lot of kills as long as your laners are, although Vi certainly is capable of getting a lot of kills :getin:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It is good to see outright contradictions in these statements.

So now with limited wards with lower duration the map is mostly uncovered and ambushes are everywhere.

Meanwhile with everybody having wards and no counterwarding measures, everything is covered and ganks are impossible.

So which one is it?!

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Getting extra gold as support this season has gone a long way to making me feel more rewarded for my work on the team. Part of the fun of League is buying cool items and supports didn't really get to do that last season. Sure I contributed a ton to my team but all I got out of it was more money for wards. Eventually maybe I can finally afford that pair of boots I see in the window on my way to lane? Now with extra gold I get to sometimes buy selfish, non-team oriented items, while still contributing the same amount to my team.

One person's job on your team is literally babysitting your marksman for 15+ minutes. Anyone who doesn't think they deserve to be rewarded for it with cool items is crazy.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Bholder posted:

So now with limited wards with lower duration the map is mostly uncovered and ambushes are everywhere.

Meanwhile with everybody having wards and no counterwarding measures, everything is covered and ganks are impossible.

So which one is it?!

The answer to both your questions is Evelynn.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Bholder posted:

So which one is it?!

It's both.

They are everywhere in the first five minutes of the game, denying the jungler their biggest window to make an impact.

They are nowhere after that as everyone forgets to use their trinket and just focus on the Jungle Team DM aspect of the game while pausing between fights to bitch at the support for not having pinks up on Baron and Dragon.

GlennFrog
Jul 5, 2004

T_T
I main support and I am loving these changes. Riding the taric train as long as I can.

I was thinking with the changes to targon and all the money supports are getting, what other unconventional champs might thrive in bot lane or be a good counter to taric tank town?

Support nasus becoming a real thing maxing w and e while q'ing on money charges, not as good in the long run, but still would be a pester, I mean its nasus.
How about warwick, just play passive, then farm some ult kills.
Sej?
Zac?
Honestly with an adc to match with, you could probably play anyone especially against a taric.

Anything unusual you guys seen or tried out?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dragongem posted:

Another few notes:

- It feels like jungling in this patch is really, really bad. Now that the support is getting great gold it feels like the jungler is now worst off once it hits midgame, and it really sucks.

It's entirely possible there just isn't a reason outside gimmicks to run a dedicated jungle anymore. And that's fine. Remember, duo lane doesn't automatically mean "only one person gets items the other one gets hosed". 2-1-2 with one or two smites in the duo lanes to periodically pick up some buffs and camps during breaks in the action would still get good gold. And a lot of objective pressure.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Bholder posted:

So which one is it?!

I've found its a bit harder to gank during laning phase because everyone has a ward.

But as soon as its in teamfighting phase, there usually aren't enough wards to roam and feel completely safe. The sweeper/pink ward allows vision control over a certain area rather than the old sweep-every-ward-off-the-entire-map mentality.

I like that though because I've already had a couple games where my team has come back from a mediocre-to-bad laning phase because the other team couldn't strangle our vision. We ended up getting some picks on their adc/mid and won the game.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Thanks to whomever mentioned Urgot jungle, I had a blast playing him in that role. I've never seen so many wasted flashes in my life :getin:

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
The changes have been healthy for the game, and the people complaining about supports getting to much gold, and being able to do stuff ever, are just objectively wrong.

In season 3, you could guarantee that the last pick would have to support, half of them would refuse, almost all the rest would grab Nidalee, and every now and then you'd get someone who actually, you know, was willing to actually support. And that person is you.

Now, people actually want to support, the ones who are forced into it don't feel useless, and even the assholes who would have picked Nidalee get enough gold that they can actually become an off-carry, rather than a CC-less support.

What this means is that there's much less rage in champ select, and people are much less likely to troll if they're last pick.

Sure, Annie's strong right now and Taric's broken, but I think it's worth it for making the game actually fun for the 20% of players in each game that are forced/choose to play support.

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...
Ugh, these changes. I've had a few cocky "supports" who think that they're going to do better than the ADC so let me just take all the CS and the ADC can subsist on the piddly amount my Targon's gives. Seems to highly correlate to Nidalee supports. I can't wait for her drat spear to get nerfed.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Kill_Discussion posted:

Ugh, these changes. I've had a few cocky "supports" who think that they're going to do better than the ADC so let me just take all the CS and the ADC can subsist on the piddly amount my Targon's gives. Seems to highly correlate to Nidalee supports. I can't wait for her drat spear to get nerfed.

Saith posted:

The changes have been healthy for the game, and the people complaining about supports getting to much gold, and being able to do stuff ever, are just objectively wrong.

In season 3, you could guarantee that the last pick would have to support, half of them would refuse, almost all the rest would grab Nidalee, and every now and then you'd get someone who actually, you know, was willing to actually support. And that person is you.

Now, people actually want to support, the ones who are forced into it don't feel useless, and even the assholes who would have picked Nidalee get enough gold that they can actually become an off-carry, rather than a CC-less support.

What this means is that there's much less rage in champ select, and people are much less likely to troll if they're last pick.

Sure, Annie's strong right now and Taric's broken, but I think it's worth it for making the game actually fun for the 20% of players in each game that are forced/choose to play support.

Hahaha enjoying that these posts just came back to back

I'm gonna start trying different AP Carries in supports now when I get back from Thanksgiving. IS THIS THE RISE OF SUPPORT ZIGGS?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SarutosZero posted:

One person's job on your team is literally babysitting your marksman for 15+ minutes. Anyone who doesn't think they deserve to be rewarded for it with cool items is crazy.

Or, you know, rewarded by winning..

It's not about just getting cool items and having a big flashy teamfight. Teamfighting is something that you pick out and do when you have an upper hand.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's not about teamfighting. It's about being able to contribute in any way that isn't "use one spell rotation, of which only the stun matters, then die or retreat, because you're a non-factor anyway" and "put down wards, kill wards". Because those two things are all the supports did in the old system. And it loving sucked - anyone who claims it didn't either didn't play support or played support so long they got Stockholm syndrome.

Or do we really need links to wonderful showcase of "everything wrong with supports" during one of the big tournaments. Heart of Gold and WARDS WARDS WARDS in a support inventory forever, for over an hour, game after game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

It's not about teamfighting. It's about being able to contribute in any way that isn't "use one spell rotation, of which only the stun matters, then die or retreat, because you're a non-factor anyway" and "put down wards, kill wards". Because those two things are all the supports did in the old system. And it loving sucked - anyone who claims it didn't either didn't play support or played support so long they got Stockholm syndrome.

Plenty of supports did more then that. Sona, Leona, Janna, Blitz, Thresh, Alistar and (arguably) Soraka had much more to do to contribute to the team. Taric was really the only one who did that.

Sona used to do a fair amount of damage, Leona, Blitz, Alistar and Thresh were more about disrupting the enemy team repeatedly, with Soraka/Janna hanging around trying to help keep someone alive.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Anatharon posted:

Or, you know, rewarded by winning..

It's not about just getting cool items and having a big flashy teamfight. Teamfighting is something that you pick out and do when you have an upper hand.

Supports get to have more fun now at no/little expense to any other role. If you don't like the person on your team who was cool enough to play support having more fun then I don't know what to tell you. Supports never should have been gold starved to begin with because its just boring game design to punish 20% of the people in a match. Many people play the game more than just to win, they play to have fun. Supports getting more gold is more fun.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SarutosZero posted:

Supports get to have more fun now at no/little expense to any other role. If you don't like the person on your team who was cool enough to play support having more fun then I don't know what to tell you. Supports never should have been gold starved to begin with because its just boring game design to punish 20% of the people in a match. Many people play the game more than just to win, they play to have fun. Supports getting more gold is more fun.

Well, I mained support for most of my time playing LoL and I really don't like having to relic shield with a real carry or get out. Support items were more fun because they usually involved actually doing something instead of being stat sticks but you can only get one now anyways and it's going to be face of the mountain.

edit: I feel like punishing roaming as much as they did was the biggest thing Riot did to make supports less fun.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
What the scrying orb needs is charges and a recharge rate, rather than being one use. That way it isn't so situational, because you can let it build and blow a bunch of charges to find someone if the first one whiffs. Something like 2 minutes a charge, so it can't be used more than once to find the enemy jungler doing their first 2 buffs, but stack to 3 or 4 or 5 charges.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 27, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I don't buy skins but for those of you who do, you can mystery gift and get limited time ones now, apparently.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/node/9005

It makes sense to add ones that were for characters who got visually updated (Desert Trooper Garen looks nice now) but 20 bucks for Red Baron Corki in this year of our lord, 2013? :lol:

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
So I just took Fizz mid against Akali and was rewarded with a 12/12/20 score. The crazy thing was that for the first 20 minutes I was looking at a score of 3/7/3 or so and so I was just so behind in cs. But the fish was able to dish and swing it back at the end game. I'm having some trouble with my build though, I don't know if I should sacrifice early damage for some protection.

Right now I go boots 1/pots -> Sheen -> lichbane/sorc shoes -> rabadons -> void staff -> win
Is there another build that still gives you some muscle but a bit more survivability? I felt zoned so hard by akali cause I knew if I were to dive in that she would all-in me and I couldn't get away due to q/e being down, and she was pinging me with her q constantly. Are you supposed to just q the enemy champ then e out? I like to use e to clear minion waves, should I not do that?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Spudalicious posted:

So I just took Fizz mid against Akali and was rewarded with a 12/12/20 score. The crazy thing was that for the first 20 minutes I was looking at a score of 3/7/3 or so and so I was just so behind in cs. But the fish was able to dish and swing it back at the end game. I'm having some trouble with my build though, I don't know if I should sacrifice early damage for some protection.

Right now I go boots 1/pots -> Sheen -> lichbane/sorc shoes -> rabadons -> void staff -> win
Is there another build that still gives you some muscle but a bit more survivability? I felt zoned so hard by akali cause I knew if I were to dive in that she would all-in me and I couldn't get away due to q/e being down, and she was pinging me with her q constantly. Are you supposed to just q the enemy champ then e out? I like to use e to clear minion waves, should I not do that?

Hourglass is good because you can generally hit it and then when it goes off your q and e are off cooldown.

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007
Support can carry, why do we need an ADC? Eat my scraps, lane mate. EQUALITY FOR DUO LANES!

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
^^^Is there some sacred edict blessing ranged autoattackers with the divine right to carry and no one else?

With hourglass, I'm pretty sure you can also hit it when you're on your pole, which gives you about four seconds of invulnerability and lets you hop away straight after.

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007

SarutosZero posted:

There should be an item that increases your speed over time, with a high cap, but resets if you kill a creep.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

stoicheian posted:

There should be an item that increases your speed over time, with a high cap, but resets if you kill a creep.

I really wish this could be a thing now because then I could do hyper-drive turbo support Viktor.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Saith posted:

^^^Is there some sacred edict blessing ranged autoattackers with the divine right to carry and no one else?

With hourglass, I'm pretty sure you can also hit it when you're on your pole, which gives you about four seconds of invulnerability and lets you hop away straight after.

I swear I've been carried less but ADC less then any other role.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Saith posted:

No, but overall auto attackers are.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

Anatharon posted:

I swear I've been carried less but ADC less then any other role.

Even if your ADC isn't doing very much, solo queue players still think they are and will dive them disregarding everyone else.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

stoicheian posted:

Support can carry, why do we need an ADC? Eat my scraps, lane mate. EQUALITY FOR DUO LANES!

You jest, but this is more where the game is going I feel. I think the utility Marksman like Ashe, Varus, Sivir are going to be a lot stronger in this meta and focused more on taking objectives and controlling fights then getting farmed and "carrying" / yelling at bitch support. I've actually enjoyed playing Bot AD more this patch than any other role. Landing good ults and setting up your bloodthirsty support carry to get on a killing spree is actually enjoyable to me. :getin:

I need to play me some Urgot as well. I haven't touched him this patch and I've heard both from this thread and elsewhere that he's decent right now.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I'm pretty sure they renamed ADC to Marksman for a good reason...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Marksmen still scale much harder on gold than every other type of character in the game, and by a significant margin. Their lack of exposure in the beginning of a huge batch of changes that hits basically everyone BUT marksmen isn't saying much about their relevance.

Games being shorter will lower their power, yes, but for long games a carry that's up 2500 gold on the other team's carry will win you the game more often than not.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They changed it cause they don't want to be associated with DOTA for some dumb reason. It's just a buzzword, they loving love buzzwords.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Is there an official term they call melee carries? Yismen?

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

Libertine posted:

You jest, but this is more where the game is going I feel. I think the utility Marksman like Ashe, Varus, Sivir are going to be a lot stronger in this meta and focused more on taking objectives and controlling fights then getting farmed and "carrying" / yelling at bitch support. I've actually enjoyed playing Bot AD more this patch than any other role. Landing good ults and setting up your bloodthirsty support carry to get on a killing spree is actually enjoyable to me. :getin:

I need to play me some Urgot as well. I haven't touched him this patch and I've heard both from this thread and elsewhere that he's decent right now.

I've already switched up my game when playing Jinx to just motor down towers while the bruisers and fat supports have a cripple fight in mid lane. If I don't get 5 towers down it's a bad game.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Invalid Validation posted:

They changed it cause they don't want to be associated with DOTA for some dumb reason. It's just a buzzword, they loving love buzzwords.

They changed it because it's exactly the kind of term that's intimidating to a new player. They avoid using terms that require definition in the client itself, and that's OK.

The amount people care about the Marksman term astounds me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Anyone got tips for jungle Eve, build and strategy-wise?

Had a horrendous game as her last night where any time I'd come in for a gank I'd get freaking wrecked, not to mention the jungle creeps eating me alive. Guess I'm too used to S3 tanky junglers, but I'd like to try Eve with the near absence of pinks on the map these days...

• Locked thread