Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Realtalk as cool as playing Blacula or hunters thereof would be being the dude from JD's Revenger would be even better. When you have a flashback to your possessor's past life roll+soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Amazing playtest tonight thanks to Golden Bee.

It was equal parts This is Spinal Tap and Velvet Goldmine with a dash of Taxi Driver bloodbath at the end.

I had a minimal amount of prep, a bit of a bank heist setup, but it all went out the window when two of the characters decided to be British rock stars on tour in America (Clive and Blake), the other two characters ended up being the band's manager/wrangler (Sheng)and the lead singer's sister (Joanna) who was secretly looking for revenge on the men who had killed her husband.

Oh yeah, and Algernon the dancing chimpanzee who is fluent in sign language but nobody else is to understand what he's saying.

I wish I had recorded the thing because all the dialog between Clive and Blake was priceless. Somehow throughout the night whenever they needed a good roll they managed to get amazing rolls. After their tour bus broke down in the country they managed to do a surprise performance at a honkey-tonk bar, pick up one of the waitresses (and her toddler son Little Bobby) to join them on tour, avoided a fight with a biker gang over the monkey which prompted this exchange:

Biker: "That's a nice monkey, I've always wanted a monkey."
Clive: "Well you see then, you should get a monkey of your own, and then our monkeys could be like best pals."

Too much traffic when they get into the city prompted them to ditch their car and take the subway, after stunning a car full of concert goes on the way to their show they manage to lose the waitress (who was holding the monkey) despite still having Little Bobby. Algernon being the real brains of the outfit manages to show up in time for everyone to make it to the show, where they put on the performance of their career. Little Bobby was reunited with his tearful mom who the band convinced should take him to Hollywood where he'd be a star.

Overconfident and high on an amazing crowd reaction (and a fair amount of dope) they then decide it's time to get payback on the men who killed Joanna's husband. They track them down in the middle of the night, find them running a brothel and proceed to clean house. Sheng straight up shanks some bitches, the relationship between Clive and Blake got very complicated, and a lot of bad guys got their heads blown off.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Still playtesting, and working on Version 2 of our rules.

I'll probably be starting a second pbp playtest early in January so if anyone is interested keep an eye on the recruitment megathread.

For now, I've finished my first draft of the driving custom moves. I stole took some inspiration from the Feng Shui car chase rules.

quote:

Driving Custom Moves
Most often driving situations are easily worked out within the fiction, but when Smokey is on you tail, the pedal is to the metal and everything is hanging out sometimes you’re going to need a little something more to determine exactly what happens.
Stunts
Most stunts, such as rocket jumping a canyon, pulling a bootlegger turn or popping a wheelie while balancing on a tightrope high above the city streets, can be easily accomplished with a single Keep Your Cool move.

Example: Gio Bang needs to get the Lucky 7 through a narrow alleyway to avoid the diamond smugglers that are following him. He rolls+smooth and gets a 9, he puts the car up on two wheels and slips through the narrow opening but manages to bust up the suspension in the process dealing 1 harm to the Lucky 7.

Ramming Speed - When you hit someone or something with your vehicle roll+power. On a 10+ deal damage equal to your vehicles power +1 to the target and suffer half that damage to your own vehicle. On a 7-9 deal your vehicles power in damage to both your target and your own vehicle.

When ramming a target significantly smaller than your vehicle deal +1 harm damage and take 1 less harm, when ramming a target significantly larger than your vehicle deal -1 harm damage and take +1 harm.

Example:Beau Dupree needs to rescue Corrina and Johnny Valentine from a pair of killer androids, he puts Traveller in gear and revs the engine, with the squeal of burning rubber he floors it straight at the unaware mechanical men. He rolls+power and gets a 10, he deals 4 total harm to the androids, two for Travelers power, one for rolling 10 and one more because the robots are significantly smaller than a car. Traveller also takes 1 harm.

Chases and Races
Drag races, hot pursuit, and cross country rallies are all staples of any action and adventure in 1977. As always the fiction should guide the DJ in adjudicating these situations, and it can be as simple as a rolling to keep your cool a couple times to leave somebody in the dust. If you’re looking for a more in depth system for races and chases here are some suggested custom moves to accomplish this. Remember that races and chases are not exclusive to vehicles either, foot races, rooftop chases and ski slaloms could also utilize these custom moves.

The Lead - the goal of every race or chase is to maintain The Lead. The Lead represents speed and distance ahead of your opponent(s), the exact distance of The Lead is up to the fiction, for a foot race it might be a few yards, for a cross country rally it might be a hundred miles. The important thing is that the more lead you have the more of an advantage you have over your opponent. The DJ may give some one bonus Lead at the beginning of a race or chase to represent a head start.

Gain the Lead - When you try to put the pedal to the metal and gain more lead on your opponent roll+hustle. On a 10+ gain 1 lead, on a 7-9 gain 0 lead, or you gain 1 lead but pay a cost determined by the DJ. On a 6- lose 1 lead or lose 0 lead and suffer a cost determined by the DJ.

Example: Black Cherry Stone is chasing two cat Burglars across the rooftops of South Central, they had a good head start and began with +2 Lead. Black Cherry decides to take a shortcut by jumping through a nearby window in order to cut them off. She rolls+Hustle and gets a 9, she gains +1 Lead (putting the burglars at +1 total) but takes 1 harm from broken glass.

The Lead can be used in a few ways, when being chased, you can choose to Lose ‘Em:

Lose Em - When you want to lose someone who is chasing you roll+Lead, on a 10+ you leave them in the dust with no way for them to catch you. On a 7-9 you either lose them but at a cost, or you gain 1 lead. on a 6- you lose 1 lead.

Example: Tom Red Eagle is being chased through the desert by a couple of Agents from the Department of Indian Affairs, he’s already gained 2 lead on them and decides to lose them in the wooded hillside he’s rapidly approaching. He rolls+Lead and gets a 8, he doesn't lose them but he does gain +1 lead so he can try again at the next opportunity.

When you have the lead on someone you can also use it to try to cut them off or stop them in their tracks.

Run them down - When you use your speed advantage to run your opponent off the road or otherwise stop their progress roll+Hustle, on a 10+ they stop or otherwise go where you want them to. on a 7-9 they go where you want but it costs you as determined byt the DJ. On a 6- you lose 1 lead.

The Lead can also be used to pay costs for other moves, such as when rolling a partial hit or miss on a Smoke His rear end Move.

Example: Big Jon Pendleton and Doghouse Rawlins are fleeing a bunch of Road Gators after a brawl went bad, Doghouse is firing his shotgun at the Road Gators and rolls+Hustle, getting a 9 he manages to hit the lead biker, but they lose 1 Lead in the process.

Races vs Chases
The biggest difference between a race and a chase is that races have a determined distance, and chases run until someone gets caught or loses their pursuer.

Races are measured in lengths, from short to long, and the length determined how many chances the participants have to gain or lose the lead.

Short Race - 2 moves
Medium Race - 3-4 moves
Long Race 5+Moves

For really long races such as an ongoing cross country road race it’s best to break the race up into multiple legs which would each be short medium or long.
Once all the move opportunities have been exhausted the race ends, and the characters that currently have the most lead win.

Example: Gio Bang and Beau Dupree are racing in the Midnight Grits run, the DJ determines that it’s a medium race with 4 total move opportunities, two in each direction.
During the first stretch Beau pushes his luck and Travellers engine to the limit, getting a partial success he manages to gain +1 lead but deals 1 damage to his car.
During the second stretch Gio Bang puts The Lucky 7 into a power slide to avoid a burning wreck and cut off Beau, he rolls 11 and gains +1 lead putting the two racers even.
On the first return stretch Beau decides to take a shortcut he knows about, he rolls a failure and loses 1 lead while Traveller takes 1 more harm from an unexpected shopping cart that was parked in the alley.
On the final stretch Gio Bang engages The Lucky 7’s Turbo booster and rolls a 10. gaining +1 lead, he sails across the finish line with a decisive lead on Beau in Traveller to win the race.

As always any and all feedback is appreciated.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Bucnasti posted:

Example:Beau Dupree needs to rescue Corrina and Johnny Valentine from a pair of killer androids, he puts Traveller in gear and revs the engine, with the squeal of burning rubber he floors it straight at the unaware mechanical men. He rolls+power and gets a 10, he deals 4 total harm to the androids, two for Travelers power, one for rolling 10 and one more because the robots are significantly smaller than a car. Traveller also takes 1 harm.

It's awesome, because I did that! :dance:

Also, I think it would be nice if you made the following change:

Gain the Lead - When you try to put the pedal to the metal and gain more lead on your opponent roll+hustle. If you are in a vehicle, roll+hustle+power. On a 10+ gain 1 lead, on a 7-9 gain 0 lead, or you gain 1 lead but pay a cost determined by the DJ. On a 6- lose 1 lead or lose 0 lead and suffer a cost determined by the DJ.

It might also be nice, then, to change Quick:

Quick - Quick vehicles are especially maneuverable, and they're great at cornering and accelerating. Quick vehicles start any Chase or Race with 1 Lead.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

QuantumNinja posted:

It's awesome, because I did that! :dance:

Also, I think it would be nice if you made the following change:

Gain the Lead - When you try to put the pedal to the metal and gain more lead on your opponent roll+hustle. If you are in a vehicle, roll+hustle+power. On a 10+ gain 1 lead, on a 7-9 gain 0 lead, or you gain 1 lead but pay a cost determined by the DJ. On a 6- lose 1 lead or lose 0 lead and suffer a cost determined by the DJ.

It might also be nice, then, to change Quick:

Quick - Quick vehicles are especially maneuverable, and they're great at cornering and accelerating. Quick vehicles start any Chase or Race with 1 Lead.
So the reason you don't add your vehicle's power to your roll is because that's a feature exclusive of the Good Old Boy Role. But that does remind me of something I forgot to include:

If there is a difference in power between the the vehicles involved in a chase add or subtract that difference to your rolls.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bucnasti posted:

So the reason you don't add your vehicle's power to your roll is because that's a feature exclusive of the Good Old Boy Role. But that does remind me of something I forgot to include:

If there is a difference in power between the the vehicles involved in a chase add or subtract that difference to your rolls.

I want to remind you that outside of NASCAR and Sprint Cars, any race car is going to be Quicker than a production car, because cornering faster/accelerating faster than your opponents is going to win races. Very few people in this setting are going to have access to a Formula 1 car, or Can-Am Sucker Car, but they sure as heck might have a Ford GT40 or Ferrari Dino or similar GTO racer, where the manufacturer had to build a certain amount for civilians to justify launching their weirdo extreme-mobile in the race league.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Phy posted:

I want to remind you that outside of NASCAR and Sprint Cars, any race car is going to be Quicker than a production car, because cornering faster/accelerating faster than your opponents is going to win races. Very few people in this setting are going to have access to a Formula 1 car, or Can-Am Sucker Car, but they sure as heck might have a Ford GT40 or Ferrari Dino or similar GTO racer, where the manufacturer had to build a certain amount for civilians to justify launching their weirdo extreme-mobile in the race league.

Yeah, Race cars are on the vehicle list, they are the only car with 3 power, which gives them at least +1 to rolls against any normal car.

I kinda like the idea of giving quick and sluggish vehicles a bonus in chases and races, I'm going to think about how I want to do it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Update:

We've been plugging away at this, running playtest games, writing and re-writing the rules. We're polishing up a new rough draft which I should have available for people to look at later in March.

We'll be doing some Roll20 playtests later this month, and if anyone is in the area we'll be running a live session at Game Empire in Pasadena CA on the 22nd.

We've even got a Facebook page if anyone want's regular updates.

https://www.facebook.com/Spiritof77game

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Bucnasti posted:

We'll be doing some Roll20 playtests later this month, and if anyone is in the area we'll be running a live session at Game Empire in Pasadena CA on the 22nd.

I -knew- you sounded familiar. Had we met when we did the Skype game last Dec?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

I -knew- you sounded familiar. Had we met when we did the Skype game last Dec?

Yeah, that was me, you played one of the crazy rock stars right?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

We just put up a new draft of our playtest rules. They're linked in the OP but here they are as well.

The current playtest rules can be found here.
The current character Rap Sheets can be found here.

Lots of incremental changes, some of them based on feedback here and during our playtest games.

Changes:
  • Reorganized, expanded and consolidated rules to better explain the game. (this is ongoing and more changes are coming)
  • The Groove mechanic has been dropped, it wasn't getting used the way we anticipated in playtests. Moves that required groove were rewritten.
  • Kung Fu got some changes based on feedback here.
  • Punch his lights out basic move was dropped
  • Added Stat improvement moves for character advancement
  • Incorporated the attribute distribution into the role selection
  • Everyone starts with one Thang now
  • The DJ chapter has been re-written (still work in progress though)
  • Included DJ, Player and Character Creation reference sheets.

As always feedback is welcome, and if you want to keep up with our progress visit our Facebook page.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Ok, tonight at 8pm PST we will be streaming a playtest game.

Come watch me talk like a robot.

http://www.twitch.tv/spirit_of_77

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
My friends introduced me to Apocalypse World recently, and I thought, "This system is pretty interesting, but I find post-apocalyptic worlds so depressing. I wonder if we could play in a world that is more vibrant and fun."

And here you are!

I spent a good part of last night making characters, which is a sign that I really like the character creating system and the world the game is set in. I don't know what I'm going to do with them all!

This seems like one of those games that I'll want to play, but will end up having to run. Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and looking forward to the Kickstarter.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Oh my Lord yes.

OH MY LORD YES.

THIS IS THE VIGILANTE 8 RPG I'VE ALWAYS WANTED.

THANK YOU BUCNASTI. :haw:

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Is there a playtest tonight?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Yes there is. 8:00PM on Twitch.

http://www.twitch.tv/spirit_of_77

This time I'll turn my mic on. :)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Having recently become aware of Apocalypse Engine stuff beyond ApocWorld and Dungeon World, this seems pretty awesome. Haven't read the whole thing yet, but it seems awesome so far.

Also, the Spotify link in the OP doesn't work, but the one you give later on does. :v:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Having recently become aware of Apocalypse Engine stuff beyond ApocWorld and Dungeon World, this seems pretty awesome. Haven't read the whole thing yet, but it seems awesome so far.

Also, the Spotify link in the OP doesn't work, but the one you give later on does. :v:

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

I updated the OP with the correct spotify link, and a link to our Twitch channel.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Having finished a first read through, this poo poo is solid man, solid. Heavy set, so to speak. :v:

Though despite the whole 70s theme (which I do love), I'm mostly drawing mental parallels to 1980s TV and movies more than 70s stuff, due to much stronger familiarity with it. Miami Vice (Sonny = Honeypot/Ex-Con*, Tubbs = Vigilante(or Tough Guy)/One Bad Mutha(or Ex-Cop), Knight Rider/Airwolf (Good Ol'Boy/X-tech), etc etc.

I really love the splitting up of the playbooks into two halves, allows a great deal more character variety. I also like (even prefer) the idea of themed groups, like the players being the movers and shakers of a Bopper gang. Bopper/One Bad Mutha being the War Chief, Tough Guy/??? as the muscle, Honey Pot as the more diplomatic compliment to the War Chief, Sleuth as the smart one of the gang, Good Ol Boy as the wheelman, Vigilante as the heavy firepower of the group, etc etc.

BTW, I love the fact one of your sample Bopper Gangs is a bunch of Irish Football Hooligans. Especially since you've actually drawn them from a real life source. I wonder if Salthill Athletic had the same kit colors (at least the blue and white!) cause I could totally see them wearing the full home kit as their colors, not just a scarf.

One more bit for this rambling train of thought, your write up of "The City" mentioned its divided into 9 sections, but you only mention 7. Is this an intentional omission? To let the players fill the blanks? I also had a rough time piecing together how the districts might fit together. Then again, maybe drawing a hard (mostly mental) map isn't the right way to do it.

* Best match I could think of for his Drug-Dealer persona

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

So back when we were working out the city details I made a map to keep it all straight in my head:

I don't know if we'll include a map in the final book, I really like the idea of individual games laying out the city as they go and filling in the blanks however they feel like.

As for playing in the 1980s the great thing about Apoc world based games is that you can do that pretty easily. We have plans down the road for 1980s stuff but we gotta finish the first book first.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I pictured it being seaside, with the Midway boardwalk.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
So, I love the game and want to play it with the local gaming group, but they're all in their 20s and claim not to know anything about the 1970s.

Well, I'm not going to let a little thing like them not having been born until after the 70s stop me. What movies and TV shows would you recommend as a basic primer for the era? "70s 101", if you will.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Warriors
Smokey and the Bandit
Convoy
Dukes of Hazard
Columbo
Shaft films
Bruce Lee films

Those are just off the top of my head.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Warriors
Smokey and the Bandit
Convoy
Dukes of Hazard
Columbo
Shaft films
Bruce Lee films

If you can't get into Black Dynamite you shouldn't be playing this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k0XUAfIlxA

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Quiet Python posted:

So, I love the game and want to play it with the local gaming group, but they're all in their 20s and claim not to know anything about the 1970s.

Well, I'm not going to let a little thing like them not having been born until after the 70s stop me. What movies and TV shows would you recommend as a basic primer for the era? "70s 101", if you will.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Warriors
Smokey and the Bandit
Convoy
Dukes of Hazard
Columbo
Shaft films
Bruce Lee films

I'm in a similar predicament as Quiet Python, but in my case the difficulty of the situation is only exasperated by the fact that I'm also in my twenties and don't know all that much about the seventies. I know that my group would absolutely love this game, but I might have to throw a 70s movie night before the game to get us more grounded in the game. So, thanks for that awesome list!

This game looks cool as hell.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

mllaneza posted:

If you can't get into Black Dynamite you shouldn't be playing this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k0XUAfIlxA

Black Dynamite is basically the cliff notes for the game's inspiration, it will give you most everything you need to play.

Somewhere I've got a big list of influences but I can't find it at the moment so off the top of my head to add to the list GG posted:

General
Reservior Dogs and Pulp Fiction (although they don't take place in the 70's they were heavily influenced by that era)
Any Which Way You Can and Any Which Way But Loose
Dirty Harry, Magnum Force and The Enforcer
The French Connection
American Hustle
Dazed and Confused

Kung Fu
The Last Dragon - Made in 1985 but is an homage to 70's kung fu movies.
Black Belt Jones

Sci-fi
The Six Million Dollar Man
Space 1999
James Bond Movies from the 70's Specifically Diamonds are Forever, and Moonraker
Westworld and Futureworld
Capricorn One
Rollerball

Glam
Velvet Goldmine
Barbarella
Phantom of the Paradise
KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park
Rocky Horror Picture Show

To be clear not all of these movies are good, many of them did not age well and some of them were awful to begin with so don't just randomly choose stuff to show people.

If I was doing a movie night to give people a crash course I would start with Black Dynamite, then in no particular order Smokey and the Bandit, The Warriors, Enter the Dragon, Velvet Goldmine, and Shaft, then maybe throw in the pilot/movie of Six Million Dollar Man and you've covered all the Roles and most of the stories in the game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

And another Good Ol'Boy/Driver movie, because car chase movies 60s/70s movies I know best. :v:

Vanishing Point (this whole movie is practically one continuous chase scene).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UEDyEzpXQ

I'd say Bullitt too, but that was '68. Still, if your cars aren't tossing hubcaps in every other tight, screeching turn, you're doing it wrong.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And another Good Ol'Boy/Driver movie, because car chase movies 60s/70s movies I know best. :v:

Vanishing Point (this whole movie is practically one continuous chase scene).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UEDyEzpXQ

I'd say Bullitt too, but that was '68. Still, if your cars aren't tossing hubcaps in every other tight, screeching turn, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah Vanishing Point is a classic, it's also one of the best examples (besides The Warriors) of the DJ as a character.

And Bullitt is the mold that pretty much every 70's cop car chase movie was made from.

When I get a chance I'll update the OP with a whole list of movies and TV shows and how they influence the setting. A ton of them are available on Netflix, and nearly everything else you can get through Amazon streaming.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm curious, if The DJ is a character of their own, do they work at WCTY (KCTY?), The Sound and Voice of The City?

I do love that its just The City. No doubt located in The State.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If I had to show three movies to get the entire idea of Spirit of 77, they'd be:

Vanishing Point. DJ as character, good ol boys, adrenaline junkies. The Man is real and The Man will stop at nothing to gently caress you up if you cross The Man, and the PCs will.

Phantom of the Paradise. Glam, X-Tech, opulence as the 70's thought of it, nostalgia and innovation. The Man is the devil, and making deals with The Man never help more than they hurt even when you come out on top.

Black Dynamite. Everything else in the book. The Man is not invincible, and you can be badass enough to take it all the way to the top of the pile and kick teeth in all the way back down.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'd throw in The Warriors, if only because its The Bopper in its purest form and a good example of the social decay of the late 70s (especially one where Tricky Dick continues to influence things). Granted, The Man doesn't show up too much, except for a few moments with the cops.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm curious, if The DJ is a character of their own, do they work at WCTY (KCTY?), The Sound and Voice of The City?

I do love that its just The City. No doubt located in The State.

It's up to you. As a DJ you should come up with your own persona and decide (or make up) which radio station they work at. I intend to create an adventure that revolves around rival radio stations at some point, kinda like the movie FM, or WKRP in Cincinnati.

The character rap sheets have seals and titles for the State Department of Corrections, but they never specify which state.

The idea is that you can use whichever city you want, LA, Detroit, Pittsburgh, even London or Cairo if you really wanted to, but if you don't have a favorite city that you're familiar with you can use the one we created specifically for the game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd throw in The Warriors, if only because its The Bopper in its purest form and a good example of the social decay of the late 70s (especially one where Tricky Dick continues to influence things). Granted, The Man doesn't show up too much, except for a few moments with the cops.

The Warriors would definitely be #4, but that's stretching from a pretty full Movie Night to Movie Day.

But yeah, the fourth lesson of The Man would be that The Man isn't the only thing that can mix you up or take you down.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

One of the other things I like about Vanishing Point is that Kowalski is a great example of a non-country Good Old Boy. You could easily make him a War Vet, a Former Badge or even One Bad Mother

It's not the first movie I would use to introduce people though. The ending is a big downer.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It makes a great counterpoint to Black Dynamite because it's the worst and best case scenarios for people sticking it to the man. But in both cases the man is very well stuck to.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Spent last night google image searching for pictures because I had a vague plot idea, though it is probably more of a front than anything. Ended up changing a bit as I sound found myself focusing mostly on pictures of the downtrodden, hopeless feel of the 70s economic recession. Anyways, thought I'd share the ones I saved, most of them are New York, unsurprisingly, and while a few are from the late 60s or early 80s, it all works for the feel of the more destitute parts of The City.

A few good ones:

:allears:

I think the Black Panthers were in the decline by '77 (I think this picture is early 70s), but I just love the guy's expression.

According to the caption I read, instead of running like the photographer thought he would when he raised his camera, this drug paraphernalia seller proudly displayed his official city street vendor's license. :v:

:smith:

Hope this wasn't "off topic". Never did find what I was after, which was a nice, clear, decent sized exterior picture of a 1970s homeless shelter/soup kitchen. The idea I had was a plot by The Man (wearing his mask of "Big Business") to force the closure of a Shelter so they could bulldoze it and do... I dunno, something to the land. Though thinking about it, that is loosely the plot of The Blues Brothers movie, isn't it?

Anyways, Bucnasti, are you gonna be doing another playtest on twitch tonight? Maybe I'll try to catch it if I don't get busy with something or go out with friends.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 12, 2014

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Those are some great pics, a few of them I recognize but more are new to me.

If you want to see a lot of pictures of what The United States was like in the early/mid seventies, check out The Documerica Archive. In 1971 the newly formed EPA hired some of the worlds best photojournalists to go out and document the state of the American environment. Many of the photographers took a loose interpretation of their assignment and documented every aspect of American life at the time, people and places. There are over 300,000 photos in the archive, and they've made 15000 of them available online. Check out the collection for John H White, his photos of inner city Chicago might be appropriate for you idea.

It was shut down in 1977, I wish they had continued it to this day, it's such an amazing source of history.

We won't be playing tonight, next game is scheduled for the 18th.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh wow, that is quite a collection, I've only looked through a few galleries so far and its all quite interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
This is relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I haven't seen them yet, but would "Machete" or "Machete Kills" be worth showing to people in a "Spirit of 77" movie night?

Spirit doesn't really have a grindhouse vibe, but Danny Trejo is pretty much playing a Former Badge Tough Guy who wants Payback.

I also want to think that this game is set in the same world as "Spirit of the Century", or at least an alternate timeline that offshoots from it.

• Locked thread