Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Having recently become aware of Apocalypse Engine stuff beyond ApocWorld and Dungeon World, this seems pretty awesome. Haven't read the whole thing yet, but it seems awesome so far.

Also, the Spotify link in the OP doesn't work, but the one you give later on does. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Having finished a first read through, this poo poo is solid man, solid. Heavy set, so to speak. :v:

Though despite the whole 70s theme (which I do love), I'm mostly drawing mental parallels to 1980s TV and movies more than 70s stuff, due to much stronger familiarity with it. Miami Vice (Sonny = Honeypot/Ex-Con*, Tubbs = Vigilante(or Tough Guy)/One Bad Mutha(or Ex-Cop), Knight Rider/Airwolf (Good Ol'Boy/X-tech), etc etc.

I really love the splitting up of the playbooks into two halves, allows a great deal more character variety. I also like (even prefer) the idea of themed groups, like the players being the movers and shakers of a Bopper gang. Bopper/One Bad Mutha being the War Chief, Tough Guy/??? as the muscle, Honey Pot as the more diplomatic compliment to the War Chief, Sleuth as the smart one of the gang, Good Ol Boy as the wheelman, Vigilante as the heavy firepower of the group, etc etc.

BTW, I love the fact one of your sample Bopper Gangs is a bunch of Irish Football Hooligans. Especially since you've actually drawn them from a real life source. I wonder if Salthill Athletic had the same kit colors (at least the blue and white!) cause I could totally see them wearing the full home kit as their colors, not just a scarf.

One more bit for this rambling train of thought, your write up of "The City" mentioned its divided into 9 sections, but you only mention 7. Is this an intentional omission? To let the players fill the blanks? I also had a rough time piecing together how the districts might fit together. Then again, maybe drawing a hard (mostly mental) map isn't the right way to do it.

* Best match I could think of for his Drug-Dealer persona

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I pictured it being seaside, with the Midway boardwalk.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Warriors
Smokey and the Bandit
Convoy
Dukes of Hazard
Columbo
Shaft films
Bruce Lee films

Those are just off the top of my head.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

And another Good Ol'Boy/Driver movie, because car chase movies 60s/70s movies I know best. :v:

Vanishing Point (this whole movie is practically one continuous chase scene).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UEDyEzpXQ

I'd say Bullitt too, but that was '68. Still, if your cars aren't tossing hubcaps in every other tight, screeching turn, you're doing it wrong.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm curious, if The DJ is a character of their own, do they work at WCTY (KCTY?), The Sound and Voice of The City?

I do love that its just The City. No doubt located in The State.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'd throw in The Warriors, if only because its The Bopper in its purest form and a good example of the social decay of the late 70s (especially one where Tricky Dick continues to influence things). Granted, The Man doesn't show up too much, except for a few moments with the cops.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Spent last night google image searching for pictures because I had a vague plot idea, though it is probably more of a front than anything. Ended up changing a bit as I sound found myself focusing mostly on pictures of the downtrodden, hopeless feel of the 70s economic recession. Anyways, thought I'd share the ones I saved, most of them are New York, unsurprisingly, and while a few are from the late 60s or early 80s, it all works for the feel of the more destitute parts of The City.

A few good ones:

:allears:

I think the Black Panthers were in the decline by '77 (I think this picture is early 70s), but I just love the guy's expression.

According to the caption I read, instead of running like the photographer thought he would when he raised his camera, this drug paraphernalia seller proudly displayed his official city street vendor's license. :v:

:smith:

Hope this wasn't "off topic". Never did find what I was after, which was a nice, clear, decent sized exterior picture of a 1970s homeless shelter/soup kitchen. The idea I had was a plot by The Man (wearing his mask of "Big Business") to force the closure of a Shelter so they could bulldoze it and do... I dunno, something to the land. Though thinking about it, that is loosely the plot of The Blues Brothers movie, isn't it?

Anyways, Bucnasti, are you gonna be doing another playtest on twitch tonight? Maybe I'll try to catch it if I don't get busy with something or go out with friends.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 12, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh wow, that is quite a collection, I've only looked through a few galleries so far and its all quite interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

By why does it specifically have to where the shelter is located? Does the location have excellent Feng Shui? Is the Nazi Gold actually hidden underneath the shelter? Does the project lead have a grudge against the shelter?

Maybe I'm thinking about it too much. :v:

[edit] Actually that'd probably be a great time to turn the question back on the players "I dunno Why DOES it have to be where the mission is located?"

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 12, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll try to tune in. Also, I never expected to see a picture of Robby dressed up as Sherlock. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bucnasti posted:

Wouldja Look at That? - When you create a distraction before striking somebody, gain +1 forward on the roll and deal +1 stun damage.

You know, I so clearly visualized this as just a distraction before sucker punching someone, but it works so well for a Globetrotter doing some fancy tricks, then tossing the ball into someone's face while they're mesmerized (or tossing it under them to trip them up) too. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't suppose we'll be getting more Roles and Stories in the final book, or maybe the expansion? I mean, the selection we've got now is already excellent and pretty varied, but hey, more more more!

That said, I'm struggling to think of a good protagonist character the current ones can't be applied to, though that might just be because 70s movies are not an area I'm exceptionally strong in.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Any notable events of Funky Awesomeness?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, finally got home. I am now One Bad Mutha. :black101: Congrats on being the first Kickstarter Funky enough to get me to back. You beat Feng Shui 2 by a couple weeks. :v:

[edit] Bob (or Dave?) needs to learn trigger discipline. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 3, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Double Post, but S77 has broken $7,777. Congratulations!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pfft 8 shots over 10ish hours? C'mon. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Take another shot Bucnasti, and the rest of us take two more adventures. :woop:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Things are getting Dicey for the Kickstarter. Congrats again (that is 2 more shots). :dance:

Its almost looking like you may need to start thinking of a 4th stretch goal. Though really, Id say don't overstretch yourself (:rimshot:), one thing that has always made me leery of Kickstarters in the past is overambitious stretch goals that end up delaying the whole project.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I like the $19,770 stretch goal. More art is always awesome and would be cooler than all those photos in the playtest version (assuming you can even legally use them for a commercial product).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

We get two more adventure PDFs now, as the KS just hit $12,500.

I like the titles. Beast: Bound and Down and Jukebox Villains. :haw:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are you actually making a CYOA book or is that just the cover of one of the Adventure PDFs? :haw:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh, I forgot CYOAs were catching on here.

Also, you better make that $19,770 goal! As much as I like that cover image, it'd look kinda silly to have it on all the supplements. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, less than a thousand bucks till the $19,770 goal. Probably won't make it before the end of the weekend, it'll get there within a day or two.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

How long has this been in the ad pool? :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

He probably meant roll Soul.

Also, Bucnasti, how about a photography related move for the Journalist? Given our repeated mentions of Documerica. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Congratulations. To bad it didn't hit 40, but oh well.

• Locked thread