Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
My friends introduced me to Apocalypse World recently, and I thought, "This system is pretty interesting, but I find post-apocalyptic worlds so depressing. I wonder if we could play in a world that is more vibrant and fun."

And here you are!

I spent a good part of last night making characters, which is a sign that I really like the character creating system and the world the game is set in. I don't know what I'm going to do with them all!

This seems like one of those games that I'll want to play, but will end up having to run. Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and looking forward to the Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Is there a playtest tonight?

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
So, I love the game and want to play it with the local gaming group, but they're all in their 20s and claim not to know anything about the 1970s.

Well, I'm not going to let a little thing like them not having been born until after the 70s stop me. What movies and TV shows would you recommend as a basic primer for the era? "70s 101", if you will.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I haven't seen them yet, but would "Machete" or "Machete Kills" be worth showing to people in a "Spirit of 77" movie night?

Spirit doesn't really have a grindhouse vibe, but Danny Trejo is pretty much playing a Former Badge Tough Guy who wants Payback.

I also want to think that this game is set in the same world as "Spirit of the Century", or at least an alternate timeline that offshoots from it.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hope this wasn't "off topic". Never did find what I was after, which was a nice, clear, decent sized exterior picture of a 1970s homeless shelter/soup kitchen. The idea I had was a plot by The Man (wearing his mask of "Big Business") to force the closure of a Shelter so they could bulldoze it and do... I dunno, something to the land. Though thinking about it, that is loosely the plot of The Blues Brothers movie, isn't it?

They intend to build the Richard Nixon Scientific Institute for American Progress, a facility that's part science museum, part secret X-Tech facility, and part monument to the glory of The Man. They'll have lots of dioramas showing America's glorious future, a future oddly devoid of minorities, gays, or the poor.

In order to save the soup kitchen, the protagonists will have to steal the Nazi gold the Man is using to fund the endeavor and find a way to convert it to enough cash to buy back the deeds to the entire neighborhood before the Heat can bring them down.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

By why does it specifically have to where the shelter is located? Does the location have excellent Feng Shui? Is the Nazi Gold actually hidden underneath the shelter? Does the project lead have a grudge against the shelter?

Maybe I'm thinking about it too much. :v:

Well, in "Black Belt Jones", the Mob had bought up the entire neighbourhood except for Papa Byrd's karate school, smack dab in the middle of it. Without Papa Byrd's property, the Mob couldn't build the massive edifice they had planned, so the school had to go.

I'm guessing the kitchen is the same way. The entire neighbourhood is getting redeveloped and the Man doesn't want a soup kitchen cluttering up his plans for the future. That's my thought.

But turning it back on the players is probably the best idea. What could the Man possibly have against a soup kitchen?

[edit]Maybe the project lead used to be homeless and the soup kitchen is the last link to his life before he became rich and successful by selling out to the Man. Now that he's got his, he doesn't want to be reminded of his previous poverty and doesn't care if other poor folks wind up going hungry.

[edit edit]If the Science Centre is a bit over the top, maybe the whole neighbourhood is getting torn down to build a gated community of pricey condos and high-class mansions. Millionaires only, and what millionaire would want to live next to a soup kitchen?

Quiet Python fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 12, 2014

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy. Like "Spirit of 77', this film understands the importance of a killer soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
We ran a few sessions of Spirit of 77 back in July and August for the Rolling Intentions podcast and they're starting to be added to the website now. The first episode with character creation runs about 27 minutes and can be found here:

http://rpgbg.blogspot.ca/

The first Rolling Intentions actual play session can be previewed via the link on the Spirit of 77 website:

http://spiritof77game.com/spirit-of-77-around-the-web/

• Locked thread