Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Hours turn to days as you march across the endless archipelago of miniature islands. The heat is an unbearable mixture of causing you to sweat profusely without actually granting you any warmth from the biting chill that seems to originate from nowhere. Days turn to weeks as you pray the small clearings you find stay afloat long enough for you to get some sleep.

For days now you can't help but have assumed the wandering knight has betrayed you. But, with the trails of the balor and cathezar likely to have gone cold by now (if they can go cold in this place) you trudge onward.

You're just about to finally stop and formulate a new plan when you look down and notice that instead of the familiar igneous sand pulling slightly at your boots, you instead seem to have stepped onto a cobblestone. A lot of cobblestones. A whole bridge made of them, in fact. It stretches out for hundreds and hundreds of yards, yet is only perhaps 25 feet wide. It arcs across the flames far, far below, and apparently connects the island you stand on to... uh...

...Whoa. That's new. You could swear that wasn't there twenty paces ago, and even as you stare at it off in the distance it has a kind of rippling, ephemeral quality to it. It's like a mirage, water to a dying man in the desert, and yet you can't shake the feeling that it's somehow incredibly, indescribably real. So real that it comes back around the other side, a dream in the wasteland.

It's a nice, leisurely stroll across the great bridge from here to what is, presumably, where the Dreamer resides. Call it a hunch.

Unfortunately, there's a much more pressing matter. That is, the demons that surround the area. The hundreds, upon hundreds, upon thousands of demons, all circling the shimmering image.

The ones that are closing in on you. Quickly.

There are lots of them.

They don't seem pleased to see you.

You're going to have to go through them if you want to make it to the Dreamer's stronghold. The central part of the bridge is held by a large contingent of muscly demons, perhaps 30 of them, led by a massive beast wreathed in flame, standing perhaps 20 feet tall.

That'll be your biggest hurdle.

Better get killing.

:black101: DEMON HORDE :black101:
AC 23
PD 21
MD 17
HP 1350 / 30 = 45 apiece

:black101: DEMON WARLORD :black101:
AC 26
PD 24
MD 22
HP 650

Pretty sure I just accidentally broke the 13th Age combat system in half so I apologize in advance for the probable TPK but gently caress IT START SLAUGHTERING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Wander

"Let me be the first to express my great relief that we have arrived...somewhere. Now let's find this Dreamer and see what gently caress ME SIDEWAYS, that's far too many demons."

Wander draws his axes as the horde charges towards the group. "I know I promised to take these things more seriously...but Sucher has spoken to me, and he says we'll never get a better chance to see whose fighting technique is best. Start counting those kills, people!" With this, he bats aside several weapons bearing down on him and makes his way into the thick of the fray.

This character sheet is going here, and then I'm never posting it again, it's far too long. I will get a combat block up for future posts.

Inititative: 1d20+12 27

pre:
Wander
Level 8 Half-Elf Ranger

One Unique Thing:
Having been all over the world and tried everything at least once, I am literally the most interesting man in the world.

STR	10	(+0)		Hit Points	144
CON	14	(+2)		Recoveries	10
DEX	18	(+4)		Recovery Dice	8d8+6
INT	10	(+0)		Armor Class	24
WIS	12	(+1)		Physical Def.	24
CHA	14	(+2)		Mental Def.	21
				Initiative	12

Icons
	Sucher, the Pathfinder (Positive 4)
		The God of Travels, the Patron of Adventurers and Explorers, and the Bringer of Light to the Darkness. Sadly, he is
mostly absent in this darkest of all ages; I learned of him from an enclave of monks in the West. They taught me that, while his
teachings are almost forgotten, his power is not only very real but you don't have to do anything special to keep it; Sucher is a
pretty chill god. It is from him that Otto, my magic map, derives its power.

Backgrounds
	Faithful of Sucher +3
		It isn't easy worshiping a forgotten god. They say gods get their powers from their faithful, and Sucher doesn't
have many of those. So if you ever want to know about the guy who basically invented the adventuring profession, I have you covered.
And if you ever feel like joining the faith of the only god I know of who will bless you for exercising your natural right to slay
monsters, gently caress bitches, and get paid, I can hook you up.
	Gigolo +2
		Speaking of which, any port in a storm, right? Imagine I made some vague allusion to the many places I've come
and gone, and let's leave it at that.
	Wanderer +5
		Otto has led me many places, and before I even met up with the Biggest Gods-Damned Heroes the world has to offer.
All over Circadia and beyond, with my new companions granting me a few trips to places I wasn't aware existed.
	Tracker +5
		You might say that being able to follow a foe to the ends of the earth and beyond is a very specific ability, and
you would not be wrong. I don't use it every day. But as a Big Gods-Damned Hero, whose reputation for slaying things he had no
business being able to slay precedes him, often causing the mightiest prey to flee in terror before I even show my face...it does
occasionally come in handy.

Feats
	A: Double Melee Attack
		+2 to DMA if it's against a different target
	A: Lethal Hunter
		+1 to crit range of Lethal Hunter attacks (total +3)
	A: Tracker
		Terrain stunt functions in urban environments
	A: Two-Weapon Mastery
		Add my level to miss damage for melee attacks, again
	C: Double Melee Attack
		1/battle, use DMA after odd attack roll
	C: Lethal Hunter
		1 battle/day, use against 2 different enemies
	C: Two-Weapon Mastery
		When an enemy rolls a 1 on a melee attack against me, I get a free OA against him
	E: Double Melee Attack
		1/turn, pop free of one enemy before making a DMA; use move action in between attacks

Class Talents
	Double Melee Attack
		When fighting with two one-handed melee weapons, my default option is to make a Double Melee Attack.
	Lethal Hunter
		1/battle, pick an enemy (mob of mooks counts as one). My crit range against them increases by 3.
	Two-Weapon Mastery
		+1 attack when using dual melee weapons.
	Tracker (level 5)
		I have the Tracker background at +5. It doesn't work too good in urban environments.
	Ranger Ex Cathedral (level 8)
		Gain one daily cleric spell (hammer of faith, reskinned as pathfinder's focus).

Racial Power
	Surprising
		1/battle, subtract 1 from the natural result of my d20 roll

Spells and Powers
	Terrain Stunt
	Once per
	Quick action to use
	Requirement: At the start of the battle, roll a d6. The escalation die must be higher than that number to use this power.
	Effect: I execute an improvisational effect that plays off my understanding of my environment. Get somewhere fast, attack
someone who wasn't really in my range, one-round daze or hamper, that sort of thing.

Pathfinder's Focus
	Daily
	Quick action to cast
	Close-quarters spell
	Effect: Until the end of the battle, my MBAs gain d12 damage dice, half damage on a miss, and a 1/battle reroll.

Focused Double Melee Attack
	At-Will
	Must be under effect of Pathfinder's Focus
	Target: One enemy
	Attack: +13 vs. AC. Once per battle, you can reroll this attack.
	Hit: 8d10+12 damage
	Miss: ((8d10+12)/2)+8 damage.
	Special: If the attack roll was even, make the following free action.
	Secondary Target: One enemy
	Secondary Attack: +13 vs. AC, or +15 against anyone other than the primary target.
	Hit: 8d10+12 damage. 
	Miss: ((8d10+12)/2)+8 damage.

Basic Attacks
	Melee At-Will
	Attack: +13 vs. AC
	Hit: 8d8+12 damage.
	Miss: 16 damage.

Double Melee Attack
	Hit: 8d6+12 damage
	Special: If the attack roll was even, take a move action and make the following attack.
	Secondary Target: One enemy.
	Secondary Attack: +13 vs. AC, or +15 against anyone other than the primary target.
	Hit: 8d6+12 damage. 

Ranged At-Will
	Attack: +12 vs. AC
	Hit: 8d8+12 damage
	Miss: 8 damage.

Equipment
	A fuckin' lot of tomahawks (8d8+12)
	Wyrmhide armor (AC 14)
	Traveling gear w/ elven accoutrements: flint and tinder, money pouch (450 platinum), elven rain cloak, 50 ft of
elven rope, elvenwood tent, grappling hook, satchel, bedroll, flask
	Elven wine, 3 bottles
	Healing potion, epic x3
	Potion of psychic resistance x1
	Rune, epic +3 x1

Magic Items
	Otto: A map infused with Sucher's divine magic that shows where I've been, and suggests, in the vaguest of terms,
where I should be going.
	Belt of Resurgence (recharge 16+): Can heal using a recovery when I drop to 0 hp. The buckle is made from the skull of
the first dragon we killed as a group. Just thinking about it brings a tear to my eye.
	Manual of Puissant Skill at Arms: (recharge 11+): Reroll a melee miss using +20 as the attack bonus. A gift from the
Theris elves for our efforts in securing a peace treaty between them and the people of Brindonford.
	Gloves of Ambidexterity (recharge 11+): When I roll 16+ with the first melee attack during my turn, make a free-action
attack with my off-hand weapon (+20 vs. AC). Crafted from the hide of Kali, the six-armed demon lord who destroyed the
settlement of Duvik's Pass, the real one.
	Helm of Fortunate Dodging (recharge 11+): Turn a miss against AC or PD into a fumble. Former owner was a skeleton lord
who had the misfortune of being assigned to guard a tomb that we were raiding, for very important and heroic purposes of course.
	Cloak of Inviolability (recharge 16+): Turn a hit against PD into a miss. Came right off of Theraxx's back. 

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Oh as for initiative (after you guys are all done with items) I rolled but the end result was you guys all go first, followed by bad guys, so I didn't bother writing it down.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander

By now it's trivial for Wander to skirt the edges of the battle and size up the situation before committing himself fully. He's going to need every advantage he can get in this fight.

Terrain Awareness: 1d6 2 Once after the escalation die reaches 2, I can use a terrain stunt

Are the demons all part of one mob? If so:

Wander notices a critical flaw in the demons' fighting style: they appear to be using the kind of frenzied "'zerk rush" strategy (if you could call it that) made famous in the Nidal's wars against Kjel's orc shock troopers. Unlike the orcs, the demons are using heavy armor, mostly scale and plate, and are not moving quickly enough to avoid the swift, heavy chopping blows of an agile axe user.

Lethal Hunter: 17+ crits against demon horde

Of course, pointing this out would only hurt Wander's kill count, so instead he leaps upon the nearest demon. It's one of those days, however, and he's concentrating so hard on hitting he fails to account for the spikes on the armor that throw him off at the last second and prevent the blade from biting deep.

Melee Attack: 1d20+13 17, MISS/16 damage

pre:
Wander
Level 8 Half-Elf Ranger
HP 144, Recoveries 10 (8d8+6)
AC 24, PD 24, MD 21
Init 12

Icons

Backgrounds
	Faithful of Sucher +3
	Gigolo +2
	Wanderer +5
	Tracker +5

Attacks
	Double Melee Attack
	Special: If the attack roll was even, take a move action and make the following attack.

Ranged At-Will

Equipment
	Wyrmhide armor (AC 14)
	Traveling gear w/ elven accoutrements: flint and tinder, money pouch (450 platinum),
elven rain cloak, 50 ft of elven rope, elvenwood tent, grappling hook, satchel, bedroll, flask
	Elven wine, 3 bottles
	Healing potion, epic x3
	Rune, epic +3 x1

Magic Items
	Otto: A map infused with Sucher's divine magic that shows where I've been, and suggests, in the vaguest of terms,
where I should be going.
	Belt of Resurgence (recharge 16+): Can heal using a recovery when I drop to 0 hp.
	Manual of Puissant Skill at Arms: (recharge 11+): Reroll a melee miss at +15.
	Gloves of Ambidexterity (recharge 11+): When I roll 16+ with the first melee attack during my turn, make a free-action attack with my off-hand weapon (+20 vs. AC).
	Helm of Fortunate Dodging (recharge 11+): Turn a miss against AC or PD into a fumble.
	Cloak of Inviolability (recharge 16+): Turn a hit against PD into a miss. 

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 5, 2013

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah if a monsters HP is listed as XXX/YYY = ZZZ that means they're a horde of Y number of monsters with Z HP a piece for a horde total of X HP.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Xar - Arachnid of the Elements

Xar watches the oncoming horde. He raises his stinger and feels the acid surging within, he unleashes a stream of acid at four of the demon horde. Letting his acid eat away at their numbers.

Scoprion Stinger spray number of targets 1d4 4
Scoprion Stinger spray vs Demonic Horde (4 targets) 4#1d20+5 (+8 if level is added in) 16, 13, 17, 14 vs PD. For 8d8 38 Ongoing Acid damage on any that are hit.

pre:
Xar - One Unique Thing:  Giant Intelligent scorpion infused with the power of the elements
Race:  Rhy-Arachnid Scorpion +STR
Class:  Elementalist +WIS

STR:	20 (+5)	
DEX:	08 (-1)	
CON:	16 (+3)	
INT:	10 (+0)	
WIS:	20 (+5)	
CHA:	08 (-1)		

AC:  29  PD:  24  MD:  19  Init:  +7
HP:  160  Recoveries:  2, roll:  8d8+3

Icons:
Positive 4:  The Green Lady:  The one who infused me with elemental power, bringing me above others of my kind
Negative 2:  Meyas:  A foul creature, unnatural and at odds to what I see as right and natural

Backgrounds:*
Hunter of the Wilds +5
Giant Arachnid +3

*Special:  +6 bonus to checks dealing with Survival/Nature/Tracking/Animal Handling/etc.
*Special:  -6 penalty to checks requiring fine motor control such as paging through a tome/picking a lock/etc

Racial Abilities:
Wild at Heart:  Gain +6 to backgrounds dealing with Survival/Nature/Tracking/Animal Handling/etc
Look Ma, No Hands:  All checks requiring fine motor control such as paging through a tome or 
picking a lock, receive a penalty of -6
Tooth and Claw:  Do not use weapons, instead have a natural weapon.  Poison Stinger 1d8 ongoing,
and Pincers 1d8.
Live off the Land:  Start the game with no wealth, but gain +1 relationship point with a chosen
icon.  Suggested:  Elf Queen, High Druid or Orc Lord
Custom Gear:  Do not start with any gear, but can purchase armor from vendors.  Cost of armor
is +50% more for the unusual size
Spray Weapon:  1/Battle may spray 1d4 nearby enemies.  1d20+highest ability vs. PD.  Spiders
spray webbing.  On a hit target is entangled and cannot act but to free themselves (hard save 16+).
Scorpions spray acid from their stinger.  On a hit target receives 1d8 per level ongoing acid damage.  
Miss does half damage.

Class Features
Elemental Bond:  I have Resistance 12+ to Fire energy type, and my Elementalist powers do this 
type of damage.
Adventurer Feat increases my Resistances from this feature to 16+
Champion Feat adds Cold energy type to my resistance.  I can pick from any Elemental Bond energy type
I have from the base feature or these feats when dealing damage with my Elementalist powers.
Epic Feat adds Lightning energy type to my resistance.

Elemental Manipulation:  1/battle, or 1/minute out of battle, can manipulate the elements as a 
standard action.  Gain one option per element type of Elemental Bond I have.
Create a torch-like source of light that lasts until the end of the battle, or one minute out of battle.
Ignite one nearby, mundane flammable item (of campfire size or smaller) or evaporate one small
source (a bucket or puddle) of normal water.
Freeze one small source (a bucket or puddle) of normal water, or quench one nearby, mundane flame
of campfire size or less.

Talents
Ice Armor:  As a free action, I can summon and don a suit of “Ice” armor, which is heavy armor.
When I gain this talent I choose one of the resistances available with Elemental Bond and get that
resistance at 12+ while wearing this Armor.  Resistance to Negative energy.
Champion Feat improves the resistance to 16+

Stoneroot Stride:  If I did not move on my turn, whenever an enemy attempts to disengage from
	me before my next turn, it takes a penalty to the check equal to my Wisdom modifier.
	An Adventurer feat adds that when an enemy disengages from me they take damage 
	equal to my Wisdom modifier, increasing to 2x Wis mod at 5th and 3x my Wis mod at 8th.

Wind Rider:  When the escalation die is 1+, I can use my standard action to gain flight until
	the end of my turn.  While doing so I gain a bonus to disengage checks equal to my Wisdom
	modifier.
	Adventurer feat gives me flight as a free action when I fall, lasts until the start of my next turn.

Iron Thorns:  While I am conscious and not stunned, deal my Wisdom modifier in damage to each
	enemy who hits me with a  melee attack and rolls an odd attack roll.  This damage hits the enemy
	after their attack damages me.
	At 5th level this damage increases to 2x my Wisdom modifier and to 3x at 8th level.

Powers Known
   Mountain Fall: Daily v. one nearby enemy
	Attack: Str (5)+Level (8) -2 (heavy armor) v. AC
	Hit:  Weapon (8d8) + Weapon (8d8) + Level (8) + Strength (15) damage 
	Miss:  Half damage.

Ironoak Grasp: Daily v. 1d3 nearby enemies in a group
	Attack: Str (5)+Level (8) -2 (heavy armor) v. PD
	Hit:  Weapon (8d8) + Wisdom (15) damage, and the target cannot move or 
	use move actions on their next turn.
	Miss:  Half damage., and the target loses its next move action.

Blinding Blast: Daily.  Recharge 16+ after battle.  Quick action.
	Effect:  Until the end of the battle, may make the following attack.
	Melee or Ranged Attack
	Target:  one nearby enemy
	Attack:  Str (5)+Level (8) -2 (heavy armor) v. AC
	Hit:  Weapon (8d8) + Wisdom (15) damage.  On a natural even hit, the target is dazed.
	Miss:  Half Damage.

Stormblade: Daily.  Recharge 11+ after battle.  Quick action
	Close-quarters attack
	Target:  1d3+1 nearby enemies in a group
	Attack:  Wis (5)+Level (8) -2 (heavy armor) v. PD
	Hit:  Weapon (8d8) damage.
	Miss:  Damage equal to my level (8).
	Adventurer feat improved targets from 1d3 to 1d3+1
	Champion feat improved Recharge roll from 16+ to 11+

Resounding Thunder: Daily.  Recharge 16+ after battle.  Quick action
	Melee or Ranged Attack
	Target:  One  nearby enemy
	Attack:  Str (5)+Level (8) -2 (heavy armor) v. AC
	Hit:  Weapon (8d8) + Str (15) damage.  At the end of my turn, one random nearby
	enemy takes 3x my Wisdom modifier in damage (15).
	Miss:  Damage equal to my level (8).

Variable Resistance: Daily.  Quick action.
	Effect: gain 1 more type of resistance from the Elemental Bond feature until the end of the battle

Feats
Elemental Endurance - Adventurer:  Gain Resistance 16+ thunder 
Elemental Bond - Adventurer:  Resistances from Elemental Bond increased to 16+
Stormblade - Adventurer:  The attack now targets 1d3+1 nearby enemies in a group
Wind Rider - Adventurer:  When falling gain flight as a free action until the start of my next turn
Elemental Bond - Champion:  Add Cold to Elemental Bond resistances.
Ice Armor - Champion:  Resistance from Ice Armor now increased to 16+.
Stormblade - Champion:  Recharge roll is now 11+.
Elemental Bond - Epic:  Add Lightning to Elemental Bond resistances.

Gear
Boots of Ferocious Charge (Epic): When I move to engage a foe before attacking I add +4d10 to my damage.
Paragon Pendant (Chamption):  Recharge 16+.  Can expend to get a second use of my racial power.  Also
get +1 to saves while at 20 hp or less.
Sash of Suppleness (Champion):  (Recharge 6+).  Increase maximum recoveries by 2.  When an attack hits my AC
and does 16 or less damage turn it into a miss.
Robe of Stone Flesh (Champion):  +2 AC and PD.
Manual of Enlightened Flesh (Champion):  Provides a +1 bonus to skill checks that use Str, Dex or Con.
The Boots of Ferocious Charge are not so much boots as special horn caps attached my numerous feet by a skilled blacksmith. Perhaps the strangest job he had ever had, but he was gifted to be able to shoe anything. They are made from the horn of a mighty minotaur we fought, and imbued with its desire to charge.

The Paragon Pendant seems to be made from a dried scorpion, hung on a cord. Perhaps in bad taste but when I took it from around an enemy's throat it had originally looked rather different. Taken from one of many fallen enemies, a sorcerer of some sort, when it was placed around my neck it altered to take on the appearance of a scorpion and seems to allow me to recover my potent acid sting faster.

I received a long silk sash from Princess Eludyian when we rescued her. It has proven invaluable in saving my hide. It seems to make me supple and allows me to flow away from attacks that don't completely overcome its softness.

We fought through an army of golems, and one of the fallen stone golems dropped a strange stonelike substance. We brought it back with us and an artisan was somehow able to fashion it into a silk like garment to arrange around my form. While supple it provided a strange resilience, and seems to fuse with my summoned armor to provide greater protection.

In fighting a strange cabal of warrior monks we came across a sturdy tome in one of the rooms, upon closer inspection of the tome I learned a number of useful maneuvers that helped with feats of strength and agility.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Naděje

"We don't need to fight like this! Let us pass and we promise you no harm!" Naděje shouts, raising her staff above her head, shining a calming light on her allies. One of the demons approaches the light, and it suddenly shines brightly on him, clearly illuminating him.

Bless for broad effect. Everyone but me and Mudgett gets 4d10 THP and a +2 to attacks until the end of the battle.
Javelin of Faith: 1d20+2+6+8 23
The Horde has a -5 to its next defense targeted.

pre:
Naděje - One Unique Thing: The Nicest Person
Race: Aasimir +CHA
Class: Cleric +WIS
STR: 8 (-1)
CON: 14 (+2)
DEX: 10 (0)
INT: 8 (-1)
WIS: 22 (+6)
CHA: 18 (+4)

AC: 27 PD: 20 MD: 26 Init: +8
HP: 144 Recoveries: 11, roll: 8d8+2

Icons:
Positive 2: Caincakah, Goddess of the Black Mind: The prices may be high, but I will be the one paying them.
Conflicted 1: The Templars: Even with all cruel acts this group has commited, there must be some glimmer of good in him.
Positive 2: The Green Lady, Rose of the Wood: The forests have been nothing but kind to me.

Backgrounds:
Purifier +5
Pacifist +3

Features/Talents:
Domain of Healing
Domain of Protection
Domain of Life

Powers:
Racial: Halo: Once per battle as a free action during your turn, give a +2 bonus to
all defenses to a nearby ally until they are hit by an attack (or until the battle ends).

Spells:

Heal
Close-quarters spell
Special: You can use this spell twice per battle.
Quick action to cast (1/round)
Target: You or one nearby ally
Effect: The target can heal using a recovery. They also get extra HP equal to twice my level.

Pacifist-type Javelin of Faith
Ranged basic attack: Wisdom + Level vs PD
 Even: -5 to next attack
 Odd: -5 to next defense targeted
 Crit: Both
 Miss: Nothing

Bless
Ranged spell
Daily
Quick action to cast
Effect: You can cast this spell for power or for broad effect.
Cast for power: One nearby ally gains a +3 attack bonus until
the end of the battle and 6d10 THP.
Cast for broad effect: Choose up to three nearby creatures
(including you); each target gains a +2 attack bonus until the
end of the battle and 4d10 THP.

Cure Wounds
Ranged spell
Recharge 16+
Quick action to cast
Effect: You or a nearby ally can heal using 2 free recoveries and can roll a save.

Shield of Faith
Ranged spell
Daily
Quick action to cast
Cast for power: One nearby ally gains a +2 bonus to AC this battle.
(including you); each target gains a +1 bonus to AC this battle.
3rd level spell The bonus also applies to PD.
5th level spell The bonus increases by +1 while the target
is staggered.
7th level spell The bonus also applies to MD.

Mighty Healing
Ranged spell
Daily
Cast for power: One nearby ally can heal using a single recovery
and regain double the usual number of hit points.
(including you); each target can heal using a recovery.
5th level spell The spell can now target far away allies.
7th level spell Power equals triple the usual hp for one
recovery; broad equals 150% the usual hp
per recovery.

Sanctuary
Close-quarters spell
Daily
Effect: Choose yourself or a nearby ally. Enemies with 100 hp
or fewer cannot attack the chosen target until that creature
attacks or the escalation die reaches 6+.
7th level spell 160 hp or fewer.

Resurrection
Ranged spell
Special: You can cast this spell only once per level. You’ll have
to keep track of how many times you cast the spell in your
life. You must have most of the corpse available to cast the
spell. There’s no time limit on resurrecting a dead PC, so long
as you have the corpse (unless that becomes a silly exercise
in resurrecting adventurer-tier characters into an epic-tier
game!). NPCs should probably be a lot easier to resurrect if
they haven’t been dead long.
Effect: You can bring a creature back to life in more or less
normal condition. By more or less normal, we mean that you
could cast your first resurrection in the middle of combat
or during an adventure and we would advise something like
the following drawbacks: expending half the resurrected
character’s recoveries, start them dazed (save ends), and flip a
coin for each of their daily abilities—tails it’s expended.
Limited Casting: The first time in your life that you use the spell
you can cast it quickly, with a single standard action. Using the
spell removes one of your spell slots until you gain a level (you
get one less spell per full heal-up).
The second time in your life you cast the spell, it takes longer,
at least three or four rounds, and costs you something like half
your hit points and daily powers/spells. The person you are
resurrecting comes back at something like one-quarter strength.
The third time you cast the spell it has to be as a ritual. The
spell chews you up and leaves you with only a few hit points,
then gnaws at the person you have resurrected, who takes days
to recover well enough to qualify as an adventurer or combatant.
The fourth time you cast the spell it nearly kills you. The
resurrection succeeds but the person you’ve resurrected is
going to be a mess for a month or more, regardless of any other
magic tricks ya’ll got going.
The fifth time you resurrect someone (thanks to a boon
from an icon, a powerful magic item, or some other method
allowed by the GM that lets you use resurrection beyond your
normal limit), that’s the end of your story and you die. There’s
only a 50% chance that the resurrection spell works on the
target. You’ve used up your quota of resurrection magic. You’re
not coming back via this spell, either.

Invocations:

Invocation of Healing: This battle, you gain 2 additional uses
of the heal spell. The first heal spell you
cast after using this invocation allows the target to heal using a
free recovery instead of spending a recovery.

Invocation of Life: This battle, you and each of your allies can each
separately add the escalation die to a single save made by that character. In
addition, you and your allies do not die from hit point damage when your
negative hit points equal half your normal hit points; instead you die
when your negative hit points equal your full hit points.

Invocation of Protection: This battle, critical hits against you and your
nearby allies deal normal damage instead of critical damage.

Feats:
Domain of Healing (ADV)
Heal (ADV)
Linguist (ADV)
Domain of Life (ADV)
Domain of Life (CHA)
Domain of Healing (CHA)
Linguist (CHA)
Domain of Life (CHA)
Ritual Caster

Inventory:
Robes of Warding (Champion)
Staff of Health (Champion)
Belt of Resurgance (Epic)
Ring of Kindness (Champion) (Reskinned Ring of Glory)
Circlet of Approachability (Champion)
Shield of Faith

Quick Notes:
At Will Melee Attack: None
Spell: 1d20+6+8+2

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mudgett

"Hah, of course there is a demon horde here. Why wouldn't there be?"

Mudgett lifts the pair of glowing red meat cleavers and aims them at the horde. "Mom, Dad, lets cook them one by one."

With that he strikes the two cleavers together, and a large burst of flames settles on the nearest group of Demons, cooking them with the power of Lightning Flames.

Randomness: 1d4 3 Lightning Damage
Fireball Targets - Reckless: 2d3 6 Enemies targeted
Fireball vs PD: 6#1d20+15 29 Hit 35 Hit 30 Hit 24 Hit 16 Miss 25 Hit 12d10+17 92 damage to 5 demons in the horde. Or 460 (92x5) damage to the Horde. Not sure which.

As the fireball starts to glide closer to his companions, Mudgett's book on a string around his back seems to glow a bit, and a bit of spelltext flows from the book to the growing fireball, turning it back on course towards the advancing demons.

edit: gently caress it, Using my Magic Item to turn that 1 (the miss) to a 10. Its a 25. All hit. So either 92 damage to 6 demons, or 552 total damage to the horde.

edit edit: Whoops, ones a crit, so 644 total damage.

quote:

Mudgett - OUT - Innate ability to fold magic over a long period of time has given him an odd connection to magic, almost as if he now exists in this plane as a magical vistage.
Race: Halfling +CHA
Class: Sorcerer +CON

STR: 8 (-1)
CON: 20 (+5)
DEX: 16 (+3)
INT: 10 (0)
WIS: 8 (-1)
CHA: 20 (+5)

AC: 23 PD: 24 MD: 20 Init: +11
HP: 176 Recoveries: 8, roll: 8d6+5

Icons:
The Arcanist (Positive 2) - As a student of magic (and maybe a being of magic now) Mudgett is well known and respected by the Arcanist.
Augustia and the S'engouer (Complicated 1) - Being one of the Arcnaist's best weapons, Mudgett is certainly no stranger to war, and Augustia is the natural choice for a "maybe crazy uncontrollable wizard/sorcerer thing" that likes to wander around killing everything it meets to see if its tasty.

Backgrounds:
Wizard/Sorcerer/Enchater/MaybeArchmageALongTimeAgo? +7
10 pounds of Fury in a 4 pound sack +2
Hungry all the time +1

Racial Ability:
Evasive - Once per battle, force an enemy that hits you with an attack to reroll the attack with a –2 penalty.

Class Features:
Access to Wizardry - Replace Sorc Spells with Wizards Spells
Breath Weapon - Chance to Re-Use Breath Weapon Spells
Chain - When you attack with a chain spell and roll a natural even, you can roll another attack against a different enemy within range.
Dancing Lights - Cast Dancing Lights Spells as standard action.
Gather Power - Standard Action to Gather Power in preparation for double damage spell on next standard action. Also get magical benefit:
Chaotic Benefit, Epic Tier (levels 8–10)
  • 1–2: You gain a +1 bonus to all defenses until the start of your
    next turn.
  • 3–4: Deal damage equal to your level + twice your Charisma
    modifier to all nearby staggered enemies.
  • 5–6: Deal damage equal to your level + twice your Charisma
    modifier to one nearby enemy.
Random Energy - Spells deal random energy type.
Random Energy Type (d4)
  • 1: Cold
  • 2: Fire
  • 3: Lightning
  • 4: Thunder

Talents:
Arcane Heritage - +2 in magical background. Sorcerer spell choices to choose Whizzard spell of same level.
Spell Fist - +2 to AC, Ranged Spells while engaged, Constitution instead of Charisma for Damage
Infernal Heritage - Once per day, when Escalation dice is +1, enter Spell Frenzy and roll 2d20 for each sorc attack. Use highest dice.
For each dice that misses out of the 2, you take damage equal to double the level of the target of your attack.

Powers:
Chaos Pulse
Ranged spell
At-Will
Target: One random nearby enemy
Attack: Charisma + Level vs. PD
Hit: 7d10 + Constitution random energy damage.
Even Miss: Half damage.
Odd Miss: Damage equal to your level.

Echoing Thunder
Ranged spell
At-Will
Target: One nearby enemy
Hit: 7d6 + Constitution thunder damage, and the first enemy that hits you with a melee attack before the start of your next turn takes 3d6 thunder damage. (An empowered spell does not double this aftershock damage.)
Miss: Damage equal to your level.

Teleport Shield
Close-quarters spell
Daily
Always: For the rest of the battle, once per round when an enemy moves to engage you, you can make the following attack against it as a free action before it has the chance to attack in melee.
Hit: Teleport the enemy somewhere nearby you can see. You can place them in combat with one of your allies, but you can’t place them in a dangerous location (lava pit or mid-air or other cheesy tricks; it’s a defensive teleport rather than the perfect offensive tool).
The teleported enemy also takes 6d10 damage.

The Queen’s Shadows
Ranged spell
Daily
Special: Once you cast this spell in a battle, you can cast it at-will for the rest of that battle.
Target: One nearby enemy
Attack: Charisma + Level vs. MD
Hit: 9d10 + Constitution psychic damage, and if the natural attack roll is even, you can teleport to a nearby location you can see.
Miss: Damage equal to your level.

Three Dooms
Ranged Spell
Recharge 16+ after battle
Target: One nearby enemy; chain spell
Hit: 2d8 x 10 random energy damage, and you take damage of the same type equal to the unmodified dice roll (2d8). (Note that there’s no Charisma bonus to damage.)
Miss: Half damage, and you still take random energy damage equal to the unmodified dice roll.

Chain Spell: Each time you make a natural even attack roll, you can attack a different target with the spell.

Fireball
Ranged Spell
Daily
Target: 1d3 nearby enemies in a group. If you cast recklessly, you can target 1d3 additional enemies, but then your allies engaged with any of the targets may also take damage (see below).
Attack: Intelligence + Level vs. PD
Hit: 12d10 fire damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Reckless miss: Your allies engaged with the target take one-fourth damage.

Haste
Ranged Spell
Daily
Target: You or one nearby ally
Effect: On the target’s next turn (not this one, if you cast it on yourself), the target gains an additional standard action.
In addition, at the start of each of the target’s turns this battle, if the escalation die is even, roll a d20 and add the escalation die; on a 16+, the target gains an additional standard action that turn

Breath of the Blue
Close-Quarters Spell
Daily
Target: One nearby enemy; breath spell
Hit: 10d12 + Constitution lightning Damage, and at the start of the target's next turn, 1d6 of its nearby allies take 20 lightning damage
Miss: Half Damage, and no damage to target's allies
Breath Spell: For the rest of the battle, roll a d20 at the start of each of your turns. On a 16+, you can use breath of this blue again

Feats:
Arcane Heritage - Use your Charisma as the attack ability for the wizard spell you choose with your Arcane Heritage talent.
Spell Fist When you miss with a sorcerer spell against an enemy you are engaged with, add triple your Charisma modifier to the damage you deal.
Improved Initiative Gain a +4 bonus to Initiative checks.
Gather Power Once per battle, you can choose the chaotic benefit you want instead of rolling for it.

Arcane Heritage You can cast your wizard spells empowered as if they were sorcerer powers. Generally, empowering wizard spells only helps by doubling the damage.
Gather Power Once per battle when the escalation die is 4+, you can gather power as a quick action
Spell Fist Once per battle, you can include one enemy engaged with you as an additional target of any attack spell you cast that targets other enemies.

Spell Fist Once per day when you cast an empowered spell, each enemy engaged with you becomes an additional target of that spell if it’s not already targeted by the spell.

Magic Items:
Epic

Book of Scribblins

quote:

Tome of Arcane Mysteries (recharge 11+):
This weighty volume is full of arcane sigils, half-mad poetry, impious philosophical assertions, and deep reflections into the nature of arcane power. When you make an attack roll with an arcane spell, after finding out whether the attack hits, change the attack roll to a 10 instead of the natural roll.

Quirk: Doodles insane geometrical designs.

Mudgett's latest acquisition, this book was the notebook of the mad wizard that tried to teach Mudgett the art of combat magic. It has various undiscovered spells recorded into it, but most of the time when Mudgett reads it he only seems rambling poems and meaningless text.

Mudgett uses it as a shopping list for the most part.

Champion

Sorcerous Daggers of Undeniable Pain

quote:

Wand of Unerring Pain (+2 to Attack and Damage; recharge 16+):
When you miss with a spell that targets a single enemy, as a quick action immediately afterward, fire a magical missile that automatically hits that creature for 4d10 force damage.

Quirk: Stares intently, often at nothing.

These are the heirlooms of Mudgett's family. A pair of meat cleavers permanently stained in blood. Both of the cleavers were found buried in Mudgett's mother and father's heads at the butcher shop where they worked. Mudgett retrieved them, and then buried them in the bastard that placed them there himself. Probably the only time that magic was not channeled through them in the 60+ years he's had them. He's never cleaned them.

They've gained the ability to shoot a burst of blood boiling head towards enemies as they please. Mudgett sometimes uses the head to cook chicken when travelling. Mudgett also calls them by the names of his parents. In his right hand is Lavilly and in his left is Samboldt.

Leather Gloves of Brain Siezure

quote:

Gloves of Mind Rot (recharge 6+):
When you hit one or more foes with an arcane spell attack, deal +2d10 psychic damage to one target of the attack.

Quirk: The texture of your skin seems wrong to everyone else, but you know it’s all in their minds and often explain that to them.

A lich owned these gloves. A powerful lich too. He was able to control the minds of a large horde of elves and wreck havoc in the 10th age. However when he had possession of these gloves they were not gloves, but his hands.

Mudgett was able to find them locked in a chest at the bottom of a well in one of the deepest levels of hell. He was there looking for a rare bird that gave the moistest of meat, but only grew in the 3rd level of hell. The bird was picking at the gloves at the bottom of the well when Mudgett found them.

He took both the bird and the gloves, and ate like a king that night.

Elvish Cape

quote:

Elven Cape (Physical defense: +2 PD):
Add +4 to checks to hide in natural surroundings.

Quirk: Prefers the finest things in life; of course, they are elven.)

Mudgett stole this cape off on an Elf. An Elf princess. While she was getting married in a beautiful Elvish wedding to some Elvish Lord.

How you ask? Magic :smug:

Shirt of Brainwall

quote:

Iron Will Shirt (+2 AC):
The default AC bonus applies to Mental Defense as well.

Quirk: Prone to abstract speculation.

This shirt seems to be quite ordinary, except for the fact that it has a large greyish stain painted in the shape of a wall on its front. When smelled, the stain smells of rotting head.

Mudgett acquired this shirt from a wizard who was using it as a set of armor in prize fights. Burly meelers trusted that they could beat the little nerd not wearing any armor, but were surprised when his magic enhanced muscles knocked their socks off. Mudgett entered and took the fight to the next level, by magically increasing the weight of his hands several times what they were supposed to be. This caused the wizard's head to smash open after the first punch, and his brains trickled onto the shirt.

It was gruesome.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 3, 2013

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
Siubhan

Demons.

Bearesirrigit's greatest enemy.

You could say Siubhan looked angry, but you'd be wrong. She was pleased. This was what she did best, and what she loves best. Become the Bear. Destroy the Bear's enemies. She hesitates only a moment so that she can shout to the horde of evil creatures, "Relish this moment, for it will be your last! FOR THE BLOOD OF THE LUGI!" And then, having said her peace, she immediately turned into a bear. Eyes rolling in bearserker fury, she charges straight at the horde with her claws ready to slice.

"GRRRWEOOOARRRRGH," Siubhan comments. She swipes at the demons in a great arc.

Note: I formatted the roll wrong. It added the two d20 for my roll together instead of putting them separate. Both rolls were 14, so the total for the attack roll is 29 Since both rolls were over a natural 11, this crits!

Damage to the horde: 28x2 = 56

Temporary HP: 22

pre:
Siubhan, Level 8 Half-orc Werebear Barbarian
OUT: Siubhan is the living Avatar of Bearesirrigit.

STR 21 (+5)
CON 18 (+4)
DEX 14 (+2)
INT 10 (+0)
WIS 10 (+0)
CHA 8 (-1)

HP: 176
Recoveries: 8
Recovery Dice: 8d10+4
AC: 22
PD: 21
MD: 20
Init: 10

Icons
Bearesirrigit (Positive 3) - She is his living Avatar. They're pretty tight.
The Green Lady (Conflicted 1) - One of the two Gods that the Lugi worship, she has not been honoring her as 
much as she should. While she reveres nature, she can be a bit too destructive for a follower of the Green
Lady to fully support. That said, Siubhan still greatly respects her.

Backgrounds

Spirit of the Bear +5 - Siubhan can do anything a normal bear can do. This includes hunting, gathering berries, 
fishing, and climbing.

The Oral Histories of the Lugi +3 - Everyone in the Lugi are expected to know their history. Siubhan has not
forgotten her roots and can recite the history of her people verbatim. She doesn't always know the significance.

Racial Power
Lethal
Once per battle, reroll a melee attack and use the roll you prefer as the result.

Class Feature

Barbarian Rage Bear Form
Once per day, use a quick action to start turn into a bear; your bear form lasts until the end of battle 
(or around five minutes, if you decide to stay a bear for dramatic roleplaying effect!). 

While in this form, you roll 2d20 to hit with your barbarian melee and thrown weapon attacks instead of 1d20.
Use the higher roll for the attack. If you roll a natural 11+ with both dice and your highest attack roll is
a hit, the attack is a critical hit! 

Recharge 16+: After a battle in which you change forms, roll a d20 and add your Constitution modifier; on a 
16+, you can use Bear Form again later in the day. 

Talents

Barbaric Cleave
Once per battle as a free action, make another barbarian melee attack after you have dropped a non-mook foe
to 0 hp with a barbarian melee attack. (Dropping the last mook of a mook mob also qualifies you to use 
Barbaric Cleave.) 

Slayer
During your turn, when you attack a staggered enemy you were not engaged with at the start of your turn, 
deal +1d6 damage per level to that creature if you hit. 

Whirlwind
You can make a Whirlwind attack as the first action of your turn when you are engaged by two or more enemies. 
You take a –4 penalty to your AC and PD until the start of your next turn. Then roll a separate melee attack
against each enemy you are engaged with. You deal no miss damage with these attacks. 

Violence
Once per battle, add a +1d4 bonus to a barbarian melee attack roll after finding out whether you hit or missed. 

Ancestral Warbear
One battle per day as a quick action, you can call the spirits of your ancestors to fight alongside you. Explain
the visuals any way you like; your ancestors roar in from the spirit world and can’t be hurt or affected 
by the creatures of this world. 

At the end of each of your turns, roll a d6 if you are conscious. If you roll less than or equal to the 
escalation die, a member of your spirit warband strikes from the spirit realm into the world. Make a 
melee attack against a nearby enemy as if you were making the attack yourself, using any 
talents/feats/magic items/ etc. as you see fit. The attack doesn’t take any of your actions.

Feats

Bear Form A/C/E: When escalation die is 2+, change forms for free as a quick action.

Barbaric Cleave A: Gain +2 bonus to Barbaric Cleave attacks, and on a hit with Barbaric Cleave,
you can heal using a recovery.

Slayer A: Gain +2 bonus to slayer attacks.

Whirlwind A: Deal normal miss damage with missed Whirlwind attacks.

Whirlwind C: Penalty to AC and PD from Whirlwind is now -2. Disengage attempts after using
Whirlwind succeed automatically.

Barbaric Cleave C: You can move for free before using a Barbaric Cleave attack.

Equipment

Greatsword of the Great Bear - Siubhan's choice of weapon when she's in her puny human form. 1d10+2 damage 
die. (Recharge 6+): When you miss with an attack, reroll the attack with a +4 bonus. In addition, until the
end of the battle, enemies attacking you add the escalation die to their attack roll (no effect if the
enemy already adds it for some reason). Quirk: Low impulse control, particularly when it comes to
impulsive movements through doors, onto railings, or over tables.

Bear claws - This is functionally the same as the greatsword.

Bearesirrigit's Ring of Animal Command - This ring can command any animal to either: send a message, 
provide a distraction, or do something the animal is known for.

Haughty Throwing Axe - For the foes that try to run. They will not run far. 1d6+2 damage die, returning. 
It is said the Green Lady herself imbued them with her magic. When you hit with an attack using this 
weapon, if that enemy is the most dangerous foe in the battle (or tied for most dangerous, GM’s
assessment), you deal +1d8 per tier damage to it. Quirk: Challenges others to improvised contests.

Siubhan's Splenderous Lionskin - The lion is Bearesirrigit's greatest foe. She wears its skin as a warning.
Enemies engaged with you take a –2 attack penalty against allies without splendor. Quirk: Fastidious about
clothing and gear. +3 to AC.

Gloves of the Angry Bear You deal +2d8 damage with two-handed weapons until the end of the battle
(champion: +2d8; epic: +4d10). Quirk: Clobber first, talk later.

Disproportionate Orphan fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 5, 2013

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Temp Hit Points 4d10 18

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Donaar

Temporary HP: 4d10 28

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander
Wander is distracted by his miss, and most of Naděje's blessing is absorbed by a particularly nasty demon's attack. He comes out with some of it still intact, however.

Temp HP: 4d10 9 :argh:
+2 to hit until end of battle.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

You'd think demons wouldn't be adverse to fire, but you were just witness to overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Though to be fair, a lot of them just kinda fell off the edge rather than burned to death. More experimentation may be necessary.

They seem eager to provide.

The horde surges forward, ripping and clawing with hooked blades and massive talons. They barrel into Siubhan, Donaar, and Wander. It looks quite painful. For Donaar and Wander, at least.

The warlord himself lets out an Abyssal roar, unslinging a twisted monstrosity of bone and sinew from his back. After a few moments you realize it's a massive crossbow, holding bolts longer than your arm. He fires at Siubhan and Wander, releasing two bolts nearly faster than you can see. Both hit. Both look like they hurt.

Demon Warlord fires at Wander! 24 vs. AC, hit! 60 damage! Lightning arcs toward Xar! 21 vs. PD! Miss!
Demon Warlord fires at Siubhan! 29 vs. AC, hit! 60 damage!

Demon Horde attacks Siubhan! 5 attacks! 5 misses!
Demon Horde attacks Donaar! 5 attacks! 4 hits! 108 damage!
Demon Horde attacks Wander ! 5 attacks! 2 hits! 54 damage!

:black101: DEMON HORDE :black101:
AC 23
PD 21
MD 17
HP 1350 - 716 = 634 / 45 = 15 left!

:black101: DEMON WARLORD :black101:
AC 26
PD 24
MD 22
HP 650

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander

"Sunbeam, I appreciate your unfailing willingness to make friends with demons, but I don't think these guys are here to negotiate. And ALSO, there's a giant-rear end crossbow bolt sticking out of my side. Can you fix that if you're not going to blow them up?"

He knows better than to wait for a response, and chops the tail off the bolt, wincing as he does so. Faltering under the first few demon attacks that come his way, he feels a sword bounce off his helm. Its owner reels back in pain, and Wander suddenly seizes the opening and cleaves a bloody swath through one of the demons's viscera.

That last miss from the horde is now a fumble, thanks to my Helm of Fortunate Dodging
Melee Attack: 1d20+15 25
Melee Damage: 8d6+12 46

His momentum regained, Wander twirls his off-hand tomahawk and spins in a low arc, cutting a second demon off at the knees. "Too bad you didn't master the bow, then you could've gotten away with being legless." He turns to the rest of his comrades. "Get it? Legless? Like the elven archer in the old tales? Anyone?"

His only response is the growling of two dozen angry demons.

Double Melee Attack: 1d20+15 30
Double Melee Attack Damage: 8d6+12 43

Kill count: 2

pre:
Wander
Level 8 Half-Elf Ranger
HP 39/144, Recoveries 10 (8d8+6)
AC 24, PD 24, MD 21
Init 12

Icons

Backgrounds
	Faithful of Sucher +3
	Gigolo +2
	Wanderer +5
	Tracker +5

Attacks
	Double Melee Attack

Ranged At-Will

Equipment
	Wyrmhide armor (AC 14)
	Traveling gear w/ elven accoutrements: flint and tinder, money pouch (450 platinum),
elven rain cloak, 50 ft of elven rope, elvenwood tent, grappling hook, satchel, bedroll, flask
	Elven wine, 3 bottles
	Healing potion, epic x3
	Rune, epic +3 x1

Magic Items
where I should be going.
	Belt of Resurgence (recharge 16+): Can heal using a recovery when I drop to 0 hp.
	Gloves of Ambidexterity (recharge 11+): When I roll 16+ with the first melee attack during my turn, make a free-action attack at +20 vs. AC.
	Helm of Fortunate Dodging (recharge 11+): Turn a miss against AC or PD into a fumble. SPENT

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mudgett

"Did someone say blow them up?"

With that he lets loose with a large blast of random magical energy, Fire, Light, Darkness, Lightning, Cold, and even flying frogs for some reason. All concentrate on the Demon mob and pummel them.

Chaos Pulse vs PD: 1d20+17 22 7d10+7 55

As the attack ends, you can see Mudgett jumping towards frogs and stuffing them in a pot.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Naděje

"Of course I can heal you. It's what I do."

Naděje raises her staff and starts chanting.

".אני נותן לך חלק מעצמי כדי לרפא את הטיפש הזה, הו אלת גדולה של הנפש השחורה"

A wave of healing light washes over Wander and Donaar.

Cure Wounds on Wander. Heal on Donaar. Wander gets to heal as if he spent 2 recoveries. He also gets an 40 extra HP. Donaar gets 1 free recovery, as I'll spend the recovery for it. He also gets 20 HP.

Naděje also moves to engage with the Warlord. If only to cut him off from attacking her friends.
Engaging with the Warlord

pre:
Naděje
Level 8 Aasimir Cleric
HP 144/144, Recoveries 10/11 (8d8+2)
AC 27, PD 20, MD 26
Init 8

Icons
	Positive 2: Caincakah, Goddess of the Black Mind
        Conflicted 1: The Templars
        Positive 2: The Green Lady, Rose of the Wood

Backgrounds
	Purifier +5
        Pacifist +3

Spells
        Heal (Battle)          [X][ ]
        Halo (Battle)          [ ]
        Cure Wounds (Daily)    [X]
        Sanctuary (Daily)      [ ]
        Mighty Healing (Daily) [ ]
        Bless (Daily)          [X]
        Resurrection (Special) [ ]  

Invocations
        Healing                [ ]
        Community              [ ]
        Life                   [ ]

Equipment
	Shield of Faith
        Humble Rations

Magic Items
	Staff of Health: Whenever I heal someone, they get +4 HP
        Circlet of Approachability: In normal social situations, I fit in.
        Robe of Warding: I have Resist 12+ on attacks against my PD or MD
        Ring of Kindess: I radiate an aura of kindness.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander

The demons briefly retreat from the radiance surrounding Wander, and he takes the opportunity to pose dramatically. Arms outstretched in messiah pose, long green locks blowing in an unseen breeze, et cetera. Then he raises his tomahawks and cries, "WHOOOOO YEAAAAH, I AM ALIIIVE AND WE ARE UNSTOPPABLE! Much obliged, Angel Face; life is beautiful and so are you!"

Healing Light: 16d8+52 126
Kill count: 2
Do you even know anyone who owns 16d8?

pre:
Wander
Level 8 Half-Elf Ranger
HP 144/144, Recoveries 10 (8d8+6)
AC 24, PD 24, MD 21
Init 12

Icons

Backgrounds
	Faithful of Sucher +3
	Gigolo +2
	Wanderer +5
	Tracker +5

Attacks
	Double Melee Attack

Ranged At-Will

Equipment
	Wyrmhide armor (AC 14)
	Elven wine, 3 bottles
	Healing potion, epic x3
	Rune, epic +3 x1

Magic Items
where I should be going.
	Gloves of Ambidexterity (recharge 11+): When I roll 16+ with the first melee attack during my turn, make a free-action attack at +20 vs. AC.
	Helm of Fortunate Dodging (recharge 11+): Turn a miss against AC or PD into a fumble. SPENT

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The pendant around Xar's 'neck' glows briefly and he can fill the acid filling back up in his stinger. He once more flings it forward and releases a spray of acid toward the horde of demons. But his aim seems to be rather poor for the most part.

Expend use of Paragon Pendant to get another use of my racial power. Recharge 16+ after battle.
Scoprion Stinger spray number of targets 1d4 4
Scoprion Stinger spray vs Demonic Horde (4 targets) 4#1d20+5 (+8 if level is added in) 21, 9, 7, 10 vs PD. For 8d8 28 Ongoing Acid damage on any that are hit.
Hahaha wow just not doing well.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

As I'm sure most of you are aware, it's finals season for me and several other players, so posting is going to be slow, please bear with me :ohdear:

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
Siubhan

Siubhan's fur smells like burning due to the demon warlord's lightning. She doesn't take this kindly, but there are little bastards to take care of first. Howling in rage, she slices up more of the little demons!

138 HP remain - all temporary HP gone. Sorry it took me so drat long for such a short post. I am an awful human being!

The damage is 28x2 (56)... again. Huh. Odd.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Just pointing out that the escalation die is a thing in this system, and I will be actually adding it to my attacks starting next turn, should be at +2 by then unless Doomsayer rules else-wise.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Oh yeah, that's a good point.

I hate to keep using this excuse but finals have proven to be an absolute nightmare this semester. One paper that I thought was 10-15 pages is actually 25-30. At the rate I'm going, I will pretty much not be sleeping until Wednesday night. I swear to god updates are coming, please just bear with me :(

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Look at you plebes dealing with attacks.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Okay, I'm in the home stretch! One more paper to write tomorrow, due at noon, and then

:siren:WE WILL BE BACK. READY YOUR BODIES.:siren:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Oh, I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and will be out until January 2014.

edit: I'm just kidding. I am going on vacation, but I'm taking my laptop and will be checking in on things.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 19, 2013

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I hate to ask, but after a week of getting hella burned out by finals I have completely lost track of what the gently caress I was doing with this fight.

You guys cool with just narrating yourselves :black101:ing the gently caress out and slaughtering some demons?

Then we'll just move on to Spooky NotHell Island.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Doomsayer posted:

I hate to ask, but after a week of getting hella burned out by finals I have completely lost track of what the gently caress I was doing with this fight.

You guys cool with just narrating yourselves :black101:ing the gently caress out and slaughtering some demons?

I'll be :catholic:ing them thank you very much.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

Doomsayer posted:

Sure thing.

Siubhan

Siubhan roars with fury. She uses her mighty bear thews to pick up a demon and tear it completely in half, it's foul blood stinking up everywhere. She throws the body at the horde and several demons are knocked down. She has her eyes set on the warlord, though. She carves a bloody swath with her claws, creating a path to the demonic leader. She swipes at him and leaves a long scar from his collarbone to his naval.

"REOAAARRRWWAAAAAAGHRRRRRRAAAAAGGGHE!"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mudgett

Seeing the neverending horde of demons is still descending on them even though Mudgett has blasted more than half into a fine charred paste, Mudgett reaches into his bag and pulls out a small, reddish brown looking pepper.

Popping it in his mouth, he lets loose with a huge blast of fire and thunder that spreads in a cone over the nearest of demons, covering them in a liquid fire that only intensifies as they attempt to put it out.

Walking slowly forward, Mudgett continues to pull peppers from his bag and popping them in his mouth, and slowly the horde of demonds whittles away to only a few, and the warlord.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Throughout the battle Xar continues to sting, and occasionally attack groups of enemies, with his poison sting. Slowly, or not so slowly, eating the enemies from the inside out with his deadly tail's venom.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Ryuujin posted:

Throughout the battle Xar continues to sting, and occasionally attack groups of enemies, with his poison sting. Slowly, or not so slowly, eating the enemies from the inside out with his deadly tail's venom.

Ew.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I don't have much to add to this mopping up enemies thing for obvious reasons, but I'd just like to state for the record you're all the real monsters here.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

One of you is literally a giant spider.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander

For his part, the half-elf has recovered his momentum, and takes advantage of the foes that are only partially scorched, poisoned, or Siubhan'd. Anything that's knocked down, struggling against poison, or on fire is fair game for Wander's axes.

Kill Count: 3d8k2+8 18 weapon damage plus my level with reroll for DM not giving a gently caress

A good third of the horde falls before this latest onlaught. There are only a half-dozen or so tougher-looking demons left, plus the warlord engaged with Sibuhan. "Pack it in, folks: I win this round. And Grizzly? One big guy is still one guy, even if you take him bear-handed." This doesn't stop him from rushing to her aid, if only to keep her from claiming all the glory.

Total kill count: 20

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Sorry. Reasonably big post should be coming in tonight, but if for some reason it doesn't get done I have to get on the road tomorrow to head to my folks' for Xmas. I assume most everyone is going to be busy for at least the next few days regardless so hopefully this won't be a huge issue.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

You manage to push your way forward across the accursed bridge, but for every snarling demon you fell, three more claw their way over the sides to fill in the gap. It's all you can do to keep pressing on, backs together, carving a path onward. The glimmering island seems almost impossibly far away, but with an ample combination of strategy, righteous slaughter, and the occasional bout of fleeing, you realize that eventually your foot has trod upon soil rather than blood-stained cobbles. Soft blades of grass bristle around you, and after a prolonged moment of airy solitude, you realize there are no blades lashing at your face, no arrows whizzing past your face.

As soon as you crossed onto the Dreamer's land, the horde stopped its advance. They still wait on the bridge, calling out and screaming, but none seem able to reach you.

The old stories about the Dreamer seem to all come flooding back at once. Before you came to this place the Dreamer was little more than a myth told to insomniac children, but standing upon what is ostensibly her doorstep, you can't help but recall some of the old fables.

quote:

The Dreamer is not, strictly speaking, a mortal. But she is not immortal, either. She and her disciples reside in a space between planes, a place between waking and dreaming. She exists in all places and none, all at once. The Dreamers searched for enlightenment in the space between the mortal world and the place where dreams reside. According to legend they found enlightenment in their journey, and now slumber in a place beyond mortality, beyond divinity, utterly unencumbered by materiality.

But one returned. One Dreamer came back to the material plane. No one is sure why, but she brought back with her knowledge and divination beyond understanding. Few were able to understand prophecy, but nonetheless mortals have been praying to her for guidance and visions ever since.

Worship of the Dreamer has fallen by the wayside in recent centuries, but there are still some who say she yet resides in the Planes, slumbering in her temple, tended by her students, waiting for those who would seek her guidance.

You walk the packed dirt path, flanked on either side by gentle flora and quietly buzzing insects meandering through colorful flowerbeds. The great golden temple rises up overhead, the path curving upward impossibly. Soon you're no longer aware of the flame-ridden hellscape surrounding the island, everything beyond the edge of the grass has washed away into nothingness. You reach the top of the island, a great door stretching far above your head.

The double-doors are inscribed with impossible frescoes, depicting landscapes and creatures beyond understanding, glimmering cities from ancient times that are yet somehow still to come. You get nauseous after staring at it for more than a few seconds. With no other options presenting themselves, you pound on the door, sending booming shockwaves through your body, reverberating off the spires high above.

With no further prompting from you the door eases open, ever so slightly. As you ease inside, the cavernous foyer seems to stretch off infinitely, golden floors somehow finding no walls. You take a few tentative steps inside, footfalls echoing as if no other space has ever been as empty. You get the feeling that attendants should be coming to you, yet none arrive. Fountains run dry, expected tinkling music is yet silent.

Somehow you have a feeling help may not be forthcoming.

Your concerns are confirmed when you spot something slumped into an ancient throne set into the floor in front of you a few hundred feet away.

Bits of detritus surround the body, and you get the feeling that there was a lot of curtains and cushions here at one point.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander

Wander is silent for a long moment. He considers the corpse of the immortal being before him. He's about to let out a great cry of anguish--

--and stops. His hand moves, almost of its own volition, to Otto the map. Cautiously, he unscrolls it.

It's blank, of course, save for a great mark in the center that reads, in Elven, "THOU ART HERE". The words are of no particular importance, but taken in the language of his fathers, they have a more philosophical connotation: "You are here, and nowhere else. You should be here."

He swiftly stows the map and approaches the throne, cautiously, one hand on his axe. "If this is an illusion, it's very convincing. If this is a murder scene, we should be looking for clues, and figuring out where our killer went. Ten will get you twenty it's our would-be queenslayer who suddenly takes issue with the laws of physics."

Perception/Wisdom (Tracker): 1d20+14 19

+1 for 12 Wisdom, +5 for Tracker, +8 for my level. I'm sure I missed something though

edit: Power Recharge: 1d20 3

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 26, 2013

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Sorry posting has been slow guys, I'm still away from my computer until the twentieth.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

Wander

"He swiftly stows the map and approaches the throne, cautiously, one hand on his axe. "If this is an illusion, it's very convincing. If this is a murder scene, we should be looking for clues, and figuring out where our killer went. Ten will get you twenty it's our would-be queenslayer who suddenly takes issue with the laws of physics."

Perception/Wisdom (Tracker): 1d20+14 19

+1 for 12 Wisdom, +5 for Tracker, +8 for my level. I'm sure I missed something though

edit: Power Recharge: 1d20 3

"Worry not young one, your senses have not fled you." A woman's voice lilts down from the ceiling, and you can just make out a glimmering spectre of a woman, dressed in long flowing robes with elaborate hair and jewelry, all barely more noticeable than a breeze across the sky.

"I am surprised you can still see me, few seem to be able to these days. I'm sorry my followers haven't provided a better welcome for you, they've been so distant as of late..." Her image flits in and out a bit, darting to random places in the room.

"I'm sorry, but where are my manners? You have come seeking guidance?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander

Wander removes his hand from his axe and kneels. "Great Dreamer, we are in a great hurry, and I hope you'll forgive us if we skip past praising your benevolence and get right to the part where we tell you what we came for. One of your peers--probably not a friend of yours, per se, but possibly someone you know--is seeking to defy the Ban of the Unborn. Otto, please provide exposition.

Otto posted:

See, there's an old edict that governs the rules of the higher planes ("higher" here is a figurative term, it also refers to planes that are considerably lower, metaphysically). And by "old", we're talking "older than time". It states that deities may not tamper with souls that are not their own. Souls can not be taken, or killed, or corrupted so as not to tarnish the sanctity of free will. That doesn't stop many (particularly your devils and the like) from trying, of course, but souls can only be given willingly. This law is known as "Բան է դեռ չծնված", or "The Ban of the Unborn".

This turns out to be a pretty good thing for everyone, as souls are one of the purest forms of power there is. If someone could get their hands on enough souls, there would be no stopping them. That's not a coy use of figurative speech either, there would quite literally be no stopping them. The combined might of the gods themselves would be as ants trying to turn back the ocean. Of course, it's moot since gods are as bound to this edict as any other. And yet, despite all this, someone is managing to corrupt the souls of the townsfolk from beyond the material veil. That means that you're either dealing with a mortal that found a way to do this, or an immortal immensely strong enough to willingly defy the Ban.

"Somehow, I'm pretty sure it's not the former," concludes Wander, "or at least the guy who did the research was. And when it comes to intimate knowledge of black rituals involving souls, I would trust a warlock enough to make up for all the other situations in which I would not trust a warlock. Our petition to you, Dreamer, is to tell us: Who seeks to defy the Ban, and what can we do about it?"

• Locked thread