Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mudgett

"Furthermore, oh great benevolence, we all seem to have shared a collective dream, something about a temple on top of a misty mountain, and a black knight, seven darkened gates and a giant rock smashing into the land.

We were hoping you could give some truth to this collective dream we had, as its mysteries plague us. Can you shed any light on this strangeness?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Captain Walker posted:

Wander

Our petition to you, Dreamer, is to tell us: Who seeks to defy the Ban, and what can we do about it?"

The apparition shimmers and flickers rapidly before coming into startling focus, then once again fading to near-invisibility. "Apologies traveler, I am not used to such... clarity of focus. It is refreshing. And your question reveals much. It explains why the world has been so... faint, of late. Mortality is such a minor concern, yet a trespass against the Ban... such things leave scars far beyond reckoning."

She shakes her head sadly. "I'm afraid your search has led you astray. Or rather, your journey has been just, but you have further yet to travel. As to who defies the Ban... such visions cannot be revealed, but the where is an easy answer. If one sought to break the Ban, they would need access to the Bastion. The Bastion lies in one of the minor upper planes, hidden from the eyes of mortals and immortals alike, beyond the plane of Pandemonium. Such a journey is treacherous beyond most understandings, but considering how far you have come... I think a bit further is not out of the question."

She shakes her head sadly. "Alas I cannot show you the way myself. We are too far beyond the veil here, and my capability for travel is... not what it once was. Return to the mortal plane, then find your way to Pandemonium. The way will make itself known to you, I am sure. Once you have breached Pandemonium, you must find the Bastion, and put a stop to whomever seeks to rob it of power."

Mustache Ride posted:

Mudgett

"We were hoping you could give some truth to this collective dream we had, as its mysteries plague us. Can you shed any light on this strangeness?"

The Dreamer nods softly. Her eyes close, and before you comes the dream you had, vivid as a painting. It's confused and out of order from what you remember, but the Dreamer does her best to bring understanding to some of the visions.

quote:

There was a temple on an impossibly misty mountain.
Carrion birds flit amongst the stones, ominous shadows in a dark place.

"Of this place I do not know. It lies in the mortal plane, but not in any place I am familiar with. I am sorry.

quote:

The head springs to life, suddenly animated with hell-fueled fury.
You and your companions are locked in battle with the ebony monster.
The wind whips at your face, ripping tears from your eyes,
breath from your lungs.

"Dragons in dreams are often omens of ill portent. A challenge to be overcome, but not your final obstacle. I get the feeling that this particular dragon will be revealed to you soon, do not be eager in the seeking of it."

quote:

You are alone in unending, everlasting darkness.
In front of you is a dimly-lit corridor, blocked by a gate.
Behind that gate sits six more gates.
Seven gates in darkness.

"Seven is a number of... of great..."

quote:

A black-clad knight atop a black-clad horse stands before a massive gate.
A mailed fist pounds mournfully against the heavy wood.
His crimson shield is crested with the head of a black dragon.

"I... I cannot..."

quote:

Now you are on a wide, desolate plain, watching helplessly.
A great black rock the size of the moon hurtles across the sky.
It strikes the land with a world-shattering impact.
Your vision begins to sway, your ears begin to roar.

The hall fills with the sound of the Dreamer shrieking in agony, her specter flitting about the room erratically. There's a bright flash of light, and the Dreamer is lying on the floor. She slowly stands, flickering in and out of transparency, then begins to hover above the floor again.

"I... I am sorry. I do not think I will be able to help you further in this matter. Some visions are... not for others to share."

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Wander

Wander gazes upon the Dreamer's spectral temper tantrum, and finally says only, "How do we get back to the mortal plane from here, and how much time has passed?"

He has a hundred questions--'What in the hells was that?' 'Don't you know anything useful?' 'Is there someone else we can talk to?' but in the name of tact, he leaves none of them spoken.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 2, 2014

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Hey it's an exposition dump that deals exclusively in dreams, "usefulness" was never on the menu :v:

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
Siubhan

Having long turned into her human form, she plops a meaty paw on Wander's shoulder, "I can read the look on your face. You think that dreams mean nothing. I am no shaman or city-priest, but I have lived enough to know that dreams can mean the world. The Great Bear himself appeared to me in a dream at one point, and that's why I travel with you today. My gran once said that dreams were 'like reality's river- if you look at their surface you can see a reflection of reality.'" She pauses a great length, "I thought I saw the Moon, Bearesirrigit's Great Enemy." Her eyebrows narrowed, "I must wrestle her for the wrongs she has done to my people."

Rolling "oral histories of the Lugi" to try and remember something that her people said about dreams. I'm honestly not sure which stat to use for this, so I just rolled the base +3 for the background. She's trying to get her own insight into the dreams from a Lugian perspective.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

genericangst posted:

Siubhan

Rolling "oral histories of the Lugi" to try and remember something that her people said about dreams. I'm honestly not sure which stat to use for this, so I just rolled the base +3 for the background. She's trying to get her own insight into the dreams from a Lugian perspective.

Taken as a whole, the symbology of the dream is a portent of great destruction not just of the personal, but also on a grander scale. Dragons, knights, carrion birds... such are normally the signs of coming war. Some aspects of the dream remain hidden - the dragon sigil, for example; that was the crest of the Great Lord Meyas, but has been adopted by many pretenders in the years hence, certain sects of followers of Ashdraanol, and was royal sigil of the briefly sovereign nation of Bronzehollow - but it seems that war is encroaching upon the mortal realm.

Captain Walker posted:

Wander

"How do we get back to the mortal plane from here, and how much time has passed?"

"There is still power left in these halls, no matter how empty. Englightenment has caused this place to exist simultaneously in many places and none, all at once. It may take some practice, but by focusing one's Will the doors may take you surprising places." She flits around sadly. "For how much longer though... I cannot say. Without disciples to carry on... this place may fade upon waking."

God I'm sorry guys, I've been writing more apology posts than game posts lately, but it's gonna continue, unfortunately. Most everyone I know decided to pick last Friday through tomorrow to meet up, so I've been crazy busy, and Wednesday/Thursday are my travel days back to Reno. I'm heading to Vegas for a week after that, but I will be bringing my computer with me, so hopefully that whole week won't be dark (unlike this one :saddowns:).

I'm really, really enjoying this game I don't want it to die, I swear!

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 7, 2014

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The shade flickers about sadly for a bit. "If you have no other questions... I suppose our time here is at an end."

I'm back bitches.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 10, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander

The information about Pandemonium is useful, the vague omens of imminent doom less so. A dark gloom crosses Wander's face, and he finds himself wondering how Meyas could possibly be so evil that his war with Circadia threatens the whole world.

Closing his eyes, he taps his heels together and murmurs, "There's no place like home." He focuses, specifically, on the square where they fought the balor and cathezar, so many indeterminate units of time ago.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The door you entered through shimmers and ripples with a white light. You can't see beyond the mirroring light, but somehow you know that once you step beyond it you'll be back in Brindonford where you started.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Goddamn. I'm stuck in Laughlin, The Land That Internet Forgot. This gas station bathroom is the best service I've gotten all week. I'm locked out of books and SA for the most part until Friday. Friday is when I get home though, so it's smooth sailing from there!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

As you approach the portal, you can just make out an image something like Brindonford on the other side, but it seems hazy and fogged, like an old painting of a place half-remembered. You turn back, and notice that the Dreamer has disappeared. Apparently for good.

Seeing no other reason to stay in the silent hall, you push through the portal with a feeling not entirely like trying to press your fingers through a cotton sheet. When you finally do pass through you're greeted by the briefest sensation of falling, then waking up before you hit the ground that isn't there.

You find yourself standing in Castle Brindonford's throne room, the lavish carpet stained with blood. The room is oppressively warm, much more than it should be for a winter's day. Several small fires seem to have been started in non-sanctioned areas.

Several bodies are strewn about the floor, apparently dead by sword wounds. You recognize the armor of the Royal Guard, who comprise a scant few of the dead, the rest are men in bits of patchwork armor and strange-looking robes. Mercenaries, perhaps. You don't recognize any house crests or the like adorning them.

Then you notice the throne. Seated upon it is Her Highness Lilliana dan Annethianalde, Rightful Queen of Brindonford in her parade arms.

Sorry about the odd photoshop job, the original picture has several very odd-looking giant wolves filling up the background. :v:

She's not moving.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 18, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Naděje

Naděje expects to be able to relax, now that she's in the land of the living. Being near dead things bothers her. Instead, it seems death has followed her here. But now, she can do something about it. This is the realm of the living. Of Life. And Naděje knows Life. But still, there were rules about this. Caincakah does not simply let souls out of her grasp. But gently caress that. Some rules need to be broken. Lily's people need their leader. And Naděje isn't about to let a friend die.

She approached the dead queen and plants her staff into the ground. Taking a deep breath and grabbing her staff tightly, Naděje starts chanting.

"המלכה לילי, יחזור אלינו. אל תיכנס לאלת אחיזת הרוח השחורה. אל תדאג, גבר. אני אקח את כל האשמה אחד בעצמי. רק אחזור. האנשים שלך זקוקים למנהיגות שלך. אל תתנו לזה תוקפים לנצח. אתה חזק יותר ממה שהם. הראה להם את זה. הראה להם את כל זה!*"

At the end of the chant, Naděje eyes spring open with light pouring out of them. As the light fades, Naděje collapses to the ground, exhausted. A minute passes and Naděje worries that all that effort was for naught. At least until, Lily's fingers start twitching.

*Queen Lily, come back to us. Do not let yourself enter into the Goddess of the Black Mind's grasp. Do not worry m'lady. I shall take all blame one myself. Just come back. Your people need your leadership. Do not let these assailants win. You're stronger than they are. Show them that. Show us all that!

Probably the best way to use my free resurrection.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander

Seeing the bloody scene, Wander knows straight away she is dead. Queens are priority targets, and whatever sinister cult attacked before has tried again, successfully this time.

He suddenly draws an axe, searching desperately for a target, and finally hurls the blade into the ground in frustration. "poo poo mothergently caress! At least the last dead queen was a total stranger and not a valued friend! Gods drat it all!"

He paces furiously, as Naděje strides forward and attempts to revive Lily. The weight of all that wasted time spent searching for the Dreamer in vain suddenly hits him full force, and he collapses to his knees before the corpse of one of the assassins, burying his face in his hands.

A minute passes. Finally he grabs hold of the body and begins ransacking it. "Who were you, you cocksucker," he mumbles, "and what's the most direct route from my axe to your bosses' rectum?"

Perception: 1d20+14 33

:black101:

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lily awakes with a start, lurching out of the throne, her arm lashing forward, nonexistent sword in hand. "BACK YOU loving CURS I WILL HAVE YOUR HEADS FROM YOUR SHOULDERS!" She looks down, confused, then unclenches her fist. She looks up, then realizes who she's looking at. "Oh! Uh, hey guys... where the hell have you been? It's been nearly half a year since you disappeared. I mean thanks for getting rid of that snake demon or whatever it was, but you could have stuck around for tea or a couple of free drinks at least. But, you know, nice of you to come back when the city's under siege. Speaking of which, did I fall asleep or something? A bunch of those cultist fuckers broke down the door and-" she runs a hand up the small of her back, then cranes her neck to see the huge, bloody sickle wound carved through her armor."

"...huh."

Lily's mention of the word "siege" gets your senses moving again, and you finally notice the sounds of battle outside the castle. It's faint, and is clearly taking place in the town proper, but after so much time in the lower planes where there wasn't anywhere you could go that didn't have sounds of violence all around you, it took you a minute to remember that such rackets are slightly more uncommon on the mortal plane.

Wander starts for a second as he pulls aside a flap of cloth draped over one soldier's shoulder. Underneath it is a piece of steel plate with a now-very-familiar sigil painted on it. It's the wrong color though. He's adorned with a dragon, the same shape and pose as the one from your dream, but this one is green on a field of black-blue. Their gear is a mishmash of presumably-stolen arms and armor, but after seeing the sigil you do notice that many of the pieces are dyed deep greens and blues, but you probably would have assumed it was an attempt at camouflage rather than uniform. Their equipment doesn't seem to be magical, but one of the better-armed dead men was carrying a scrip of paper with a war rune already prepared and inscribed.

Lily has begun to tear up a bit, still pawing at the new, clearly-lethal scar she can feel on her back.

She tries to shake herself back to normalcy; you can see it hasn't worked, but she marches toward the castle doors regardless. "I don't know how much you've filled in, but we're fighting pretty drat blind here. Bunch of crazy fuckers showed up, ranting about the return of their master, upcoming reckoning, blah blah blah. 'রিটার্নিংউপবন Comes', that kind of stuff." She butchers the pronunciation as "Ritarnimupabana", but at this point it's not like you have any problems recognizing Abyssal.

"Normally it wouldn't be a problem," she continues, "but I'm saying a bunch of them showed up. Hundreds, easily. Took us by surprise, just flat out charged the city during mid-day, screaming up the hill like rabid dogs. It doesn't matter how much we lay into them or how many we strike down, they haven't once broken or fled. In fact I'm shocked they weren't still in the throne room, they haven't left anyone ali-..." She trails off, rubbing at a shoulder. "...anyway. I've been, um, out for a while now, I guess. I don't know what our status is at this point or who's in command. It should be Brenner1, but he was on the other side of town when the attack began. Haven't seen him since."

She stops as she gets to the open main gate leading from the keep down into the main city. Again there are no soldiers/cultists/mercenaries/whatever out here, but there aren't any Brindonford soldiers either. Seems proper strategy has gone out the window.

"We should, uh..." Lily stares down the huge hill to Brindonford below, thick plumes of smoke roiling up all over. "...should head to Traveler's Square, see if we can regroup with any guards. Maybe get a decent defense going..."

Despite her words, Lily isn't moving from the grand archway. From here the sounds of battle are much louder, and you can hear the clash of steel and screams of townsfolk even up here.

Wander found an Epic (+3) Rune :toot: (p. 284)

1: Lord Marshall Brenner is Lily's right hand man, you rescued him and Lily (though they were incognito) from some kind of crazy Shaman dude in a cave of hallucinatory bullshit. It was a whole thing.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander

"Another dragon...?" Before Wander can ponder the crest further, Lily is up and about. He pockets the rune and follows her to the entrance, tasting the acrid air. "We need to leave," he pronounces. "Hopefully we'll find Brenner on the way."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"Right. Leave... Perhaps... you should lead the way?"

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 18, 2014

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
I'm sorry- I'm going to try and post tonight or tomorrow. A whole bunch of people upped and quit and all of a sudden I'm in a management position. Please don't hate me!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

genericangst posted:

I'm sorry- I'm going to try and post tonight or tomorrow. A whole bunch of people upped and quit and all of a sudden I'm in a management position. Please don't hate me!

I will hate you forever and ever for being slightly delayed in posting in our silly online elfgame. A silly elfgame that I was already away from for like a month.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mudgett

"Well no sense waiting around here, we should get moving before the battle gets closer. We need to let the guards see you to ensure they don't try to abandon the city if they think you're de... un, indisposed."

With that Mudgett starts down the stairs towards the edge of the battle, trying to skirt around to find the leaders, probably somewhere near the back of the actual fighting.

Scouting the way (10 lbs of Fury): 1d20+7 15

Sorry for the lack of update, apparently 3 or 4 of my game threads became unbookmarked?!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

You push your way down the road toward the city proper, the sounds of violence getting louder as you do so. Lily seems pensive, but moves forward anyway. Nothing moves to stop you as you jog down the thoroughfare, but the plumes of smoke loom large all around you, and you can hear steel clash on steel, and shouts from a confused populace.

"Take a left here." Lily instructs. "The central square is just ahead."

The homes on either side of you open up into a wide cobblestone clearing, an ornate marble fountain in the center. Gathered around it is a small squad of soldiers. They look incredibly tired and ragged, as if they'd just fought a host of thousands and barely lived to tell of it. Most are leaning against the fountain, alternately throwing up or bleeding into it. Still, for a moment you're just happy to see other souls. Or at least souls that aren't trying to kill you. There are several corpses littered around, though at least about half of them aren't Brindonford soldiers.

The only one still living who looks mostly uninjured is their captain, standing aside from the soldiers, checking the roads and blind alleys for incoming attack. Luckily for them, their captain is none other than Lord Marshall Brenner, Lily's right-hand man and the finest swordsman in Brindonford.

When you're not in town, of course.

"They fight like the damned risen from the hells themselves!" One injured soldier shouts toward Brenner. "The curs just don't die! One of them is worth ten of us, at least! I saw one with an axehead buried in its skull, and it just kept yelling and charging until it eventually ran out of guts! Killed six men with half his godsdamned head missing!"

"He." Brenner responds, not looking back. "Not it. These are men we fight, make no mistake. They may not break or surrender, and they may be drugged up beyond recognition, but they got two legs and red blood, that's good enough for me." He walks over to what at first glance seems a body, yet you notice that it's still weakly attempting to pull itself across the ground toward Brenner, despite multiple clearly-fatal wounds. Brenner plunges his sword into the cultist's neck, grunting. "They do bleed, and we're gonna be the ones to make 'em do it." He wipes the blood from his sword as if to highlight his point. "No man of mine runs until we've separated each of their loving heads from their shoulders and tossed it in a shallow gra-" Brenner has turned, and sees your party in a tight knot coming up the road.

"Haha! What'd I tell ya lads! The gods yet smile on us today!" Brenner throws his arms wide and starts toward you, a fierce determination in his eye. "If our enemies are worth ten men a piece, then let me introduce you to some folks worth a hundred! I'm glad you lot are here, we'll need your help mounting a defense and-" He stops mid-stride, having seen Queen Lilliana among you.

He sprints forward, sword clattering to the ground. He grips Lily in a fierce embrace, tears running down his face, lifting her in the air as if he was a father seeing his child for the first time in a thousand years. "Your highness..." He gulps down air through sobs. "You were lost. I would never have left your side were I not sure of it. I sw-"

Lily pushes vainly against his shoulders. "I believe you Brenner, you know I do. Now if you wouldn't mind putting me down, my ribs are still a bit sore."

Brenner puts her down, half-chuckling half-crying. "Aye, of course my liege, I didn't- but wait, the Ban? How were you able to return from beyond the Veil?"

Lily points at Naděje. "Seems our friends here are a bit more than natural-born monster hunters. On top of being drat near impossible to kill, apparently."

Brenner grips Naděje's arm fiercely. "No amount of thanks will ever be enough, that I swear. We are not out of the woods yet though, scores of the Dragon cultists yet remain in the city. They hold the upper hand, but on my blade the tide turns here. If we can mount a defense, get the civilians somewhere safe, then take the fight to them I know a couple of hopped-up raiders are no match for Brindonford's combined might. Are you with me?"

"But Marshall!" The wounded soldier calls. "What about the dragon?"

Brenner rolls his eyes. "There is no dragon, you coward! They may fight like men possessed, but dragons have been dead for thousands of years. It's a crest you fool, nothing more. Now, let us-"

He's cut off by an the sound of a dozen footfalls and hoofbeats clattering through the nearest alley. They prove to be another cadre of the Green Dragon-adorned soldiers.

"...poo poo." Brenner draws his sword, simultaneously trying to protect his men and Lily at the same time. "They're real enough though!"

AC 27
PD 25
MD 21
HP 50x13 = 650 HP

Mooks, and they're pretty slow, so everyone is up!

Edit: Oh right, you guys got a rest in the Dreamatorium.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 21, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander
As the horde approaches, he turns to Brenner and Nadêje. "Stay near the Queen; keep her out of danger and on her feet. If we can get her out of town alive, the cultists will have failed." Handing Lily an axe, he advises, "I'm sure you know this, but this is for defensive purposes only." Turning back to the oncoming legion, he twirls two more axes out of their hiding place and scans the square. Advancing cautiously, he prepares his attack...

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 21, 2014

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lily tests the weight of the axe in her hand, comparing it against her own sword in her left. "The balance on this is terrible, how do you even manage to swing this thing without cutting your own arm off?"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander
"Call it a talent. Just, y'know, in case you need to not have an sword in an axe fight." He looks at his options for taking the oncoming enemy by surprise.

Terrain Stunt: 1d6 6

Wander silently curses. Normally this is where an opportunity to halt the horde's advance would present itself. There's nothing for it; they're going to have to fight the entire Green Dragon cult and defend Lily until something else comes up. Unless...

He glances over his shoulder at the largest building in the clearing: a two-story church with a small bell tower, near the alley they used to come in. There's a bust of a female elf above the door; Wander remembers that it was put there after the peace treaty was signed. There are still lingering rumors about Lily and the king of the Theris elves (they're not far off, but it wasn't Lily he was carrying on with) and a crazy plan comes to mind. "OK, I got this. Now hide, and try not to take what I'm about to say as an insult in any way."

Tossing a tomahawk at the bell, he beseeches Sucher to carry his voice to the horde as he cries, "Face me, monsters! You'll answer for killing my mother! I, Eren dan Annethianalde, shall slay you all myself!"

Epic Bluff!: 1d20+13 28 :woop:

And with that he charges into the fray, hoping his gambit at least draws the attention to him and away from the very much alive Queen. His strikes are so powerful that the cultists fall on themselves and wound each other as they block and dodge; two of them are trampled beneath the stampede.

Lethal Hunter: Green Dragon Cult. 17-20 crits

Double Melee Attack vs AC: 1d20+13 20 16 damage

Skill-at-Arms Melee Attack vs AC: 1d20+15 22 16 damage

:rolldice:

pre:
Wander
Level 8 Half-Elf Ranger
HP 144/144, Recoveries 10 (8d8+6)
AC 24, PD 24, MD 21
Init 12

Icons
	Sucher, the Pathfinder (Positive 4)

Backgrounds
	Faithful of Sucher +3
	Gigolo +2
	Wanderer +5
	Tracker +5

Attacks
	Double Melee Attack
	Target: One enemy
	Attack: +13 vs. AC
	Hit: 8d6+12 damage
	Miss: 16 damage.
	Special: If the attack roll was even, take a move action and make the following attack.
	Secondary Target: One enemy.
	Secondary Attack: +13 vs. AC, or +15 against anyone other than the primary target.
	Hit: 8d6+12 damage.
	Miss: 16 damage.

Ranged At-Will
	Attack: +12 vs. AC
	Hit: 8d8+12 damage
	Miss: 8 damage.

Equipment
	A fuckin' lot of tomahawks (8d8+12)
	Wyrmhide armor (AC 14)
	Traveling gear w/ elven accoutrements: flint and tinder, money pouch (450 platinum),
elven rain cloak, 50 ft of elven rope, elvenwood tent, grappling hook, satchel, bedroll, flask
	Elven wine, 3 bottles
	Healing potion, epic x3
	Potion of psychic resistance x1
	Rune, epic +3 x1

Magic Items
	Otto: A map infused with Sucher's divine magic that shows where I've been, and suggests, in the vaguest of terms,where I should be going.
	Belt of Resurgence (recharge 16+): Can heal using a recovery when I drop to 0 hp.
	Manual of Puissant Skill at Arms: (recharge 11+): Reroll a melee miss at +15.
	Gloves of Ambidexterity (recharge 11+): When I roll 16+ with the first melee attack during my turn, make a free-action attack at +20 vs. AC.
	Helm of Fortunate Dodging (recharge 11+): Turn a miss against AC or PD into a fumble.
	Cloak of Inviolability (recharge 16+): Turn a hit against PD into a miss. 

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lily, unsure of what else to do, surreptitiously slinks over to the bar and slips inside.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Xar - Arachnid of the Elements

Xar crawls forward lifting its tail as it does. Its tail lashes out and a stream of acid sprays forth coating a number of the enemy soldiers.

Scoprion Stinger spray number of targets 1d4 4
Scoprion Stinger spray vs PD of Green Dragon-adorned soldiers (4 targets) 4#1d20+5 (+8 if level is added in and if level is not added in it will never hit) 18, 24, 9, 8 vs PD. For 8d8 42 Ongoing Acid damage on any that are hit.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mudgett

Moving up to engage with the soldiers, and ready with his bag of goodies, Mudgett whips out a blue taffy, and shoves it in his mouth, chewing on it exaggeratingly. After a few chews, you can hear something crackle inside his mouth, and he lets loose with a large blast of energy stunning the nearby soldiers.

Breath of the Blue vs PD: 1d20+5+8 25 10d12+3 62 Damage to the mooks.

At the start of the target's next turn, 2 of its nearby allies take 20 lightning damage

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Two of the soldiers are struck down, much to the astonishment of the Brindonford guard. Where they could barely make one stop moving with a collective effort you've already laid two low like wheat before a scythe. The rest still move forward despite horrific acid- and unidentified blue energy burns. You admit it is a bit striking, the guardsmen weren't wrong. Seeing a living, breathing man continue swinging and lunching at you despite the very flesh melting from his bones... well, it's not a pleasant sight. Though not nearly as fearsome as Wander leading his counter-berserker charge.

That's 136 damage to the mooks thus far. Not bad! Anyone else?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Just skip me. I'm tired and not good at typing right now. I also don't do damage and there's no one to heal.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Who else is left? Genericangst? I think we may have finally whittled our party down to a sane size! :v:

Which also means this fight is way too tough.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
I'm sorry, but I just can't do 50 plus hour workweeks (which I didn't anticipate at this time) and make good posts. Siubhan can easily be NPCed or taken over by an interested person who wants to kick rear end and take names, though. Your game is awesome, and I feel really bad, but I can't hold you guys back anymore. I guess it's back to me lurking tradgames instead of actually playing in games. I suck.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
So now it really is an epic last stand. Unless you do a silly thing like open recruitment or mercy kill the game.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Despite your onslaught, the cadre of cultists still surges forward, brandishing extraordinarily sharp-looking instruments of death. You back up toward the fountain, the assailants spreading out to pen you in. Then, without a sound, all their weapons drop to the ground.

They fall to their knees, their necks craned upward. They raise their arms and begin chanting, low and off-rhythm at first, but soon their voices together, a baritone prayer to the sky: "Man modis. Zurmukhtisp’eri , romelits’ muk’deba ts’ashi. Man modis. P’leimis gatsmendis us. Man modis." Over and over they chant it. Your ears strain, trying to hear the same Abyssal translated to Common you heard from Lily earlier, but the words do not take shape. It's only when you stop trying to listen that you realize it isn't Abyssal at all, but rather a language you haven't heard in a long, long time. Not since you defeated the dracolich Theraxx perhaps, or even further still, when you were trapped in the stone beneath Duvik's Pass.

"მან მოდის. ზურმუხტისფერი, რომელიც მუქდება ცაში. მან მოდის. ფლეიმის გაწმენდის us. მან მოდის."

"He comes. The emerald who darkens the sky. He comes. The flame to cleanse us. He comes."

...Ah, poo poo.

Your eyes turn up towards Castle Brindonford upon the hill:

"In my defense," Brenner calls, dragging his men toward the tavern Lily took refuge in. "that is clearly a wyvern! Not a dragon!"

The great beast swoops low, crashing to the ground in a cloud of cobblestones and broken fountain. Claws like greatswords dig into the ground, small tongues of flame leak from its lips. Do dragons have lips? Whatever those things are, there's fire. And really, really big teeth. It's mouth opens, but instead of the spout of flame you expect, words tumble out of its mouth, low and harsh:

"A wyvern? I take offense to that. I am death in the sky, I am ruin to mankind. I am Mtsvaneone, but you may call me master." It's massive eyes turn from the tavern and toward you. "Ahhhhh, these ones I know. You are the ones who seek Vints'tsavida. The ones who destroyed Theraxx no less." He lets out a horrible, reptilian laugh. "Perhaps I should be thanking you? I won't though. Instead, I shall take great relish in killing you." Almost faster than you thought something on the material plane could move it lunges forward, swatting Wander with an open claw, sending him spiraling across the square, smashing a door in half on his trip.

Mtsvaneone attacks Wander! 24 vs. AC! Hit! Wander takes 100 damage!

Everyone is up!

Mtsvaneone, or Master if you Prefer

AC 28
PD 25
MD 20
HP 800

Captain Walker posted:

So now it really is an epic last stand. Unless you do a silly thing like open recruitment or mercy kill the game.

There's still four of you, that's a fine-sized party. It'll just speed up the direction this encounter was going, if anything. If you guys really want to recruit more we totally can, but I'm fine with a smaller group if you are!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Naděje

Naděje, finally gets up the strength to fight after the earlier draining ritual. First she spreads a shield around the party to protect them. She also tries to restore Wander to full. And then proceeds to bless the whole party.

Invocation of Protection: Critical hits against the party deal normal damage.
Cure Wounds: Wander can heal using 2 free recoveries and also gains 40 extra HP
Bless: Everyone gets 4d10 THP and a +2 to attacks.

THP: 4d10 18

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mudgett

"Oho, a Wyvern. We last fought one of those in the pits of despair, remember that Wanderer? Wanderer? You okay there?"

Mudgett doesn't really look that concerned with his question.

"Well, lets see if I can remember some of the old spells too."

მე მოუტანს თქვენ სამი წარუმატებლობის თქვენი მიწის. მომზადება იღუპება.

Three Dooms: 1d20+17 25 2d8*10 130

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Xar - Arachnid of the Elements

Xar looks upon the worm. "Yeah, yeah, terrible and mighty. Blah, blah."

He raises his tail, a chill wind swirling around it, ice coalescing upon it. Staying nearby, but not close enough to get clawed, Xar unleashes a wintery strike from his tail, a blow so powerful that its winter terribleness passes through the intervening space. The icy blow only grazes the monster, but it still hurts.

Mountain Fall vs AC of Mtsvaneone 1d20+5+8-2+2 25 vs AC. For 8d8+8d8+8+15 81 Cold damage, or it would if it hit, but on a miss it instead deals half which would be 40 cold damage. This damage is ongoing.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 30, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wander

"Never better than when I'm fighting apocalypse dragons!" Wander fumbles for one of his axes, gives up, draws another, and hops to his feet. "Sucher, if you're gonna guide my arm to victory, please do it quick, thanks muchly." He searches for a weak point as he makes his way towards the humongous dragon and slides underneath, slashing at its belly three times as he passes. One cut bites deep, the other a little less so.

Recovery: 16d8+16 73 Add another 40 and I'm back at full.

Quick action: Pathfinder's Focus! Melee attacks are buffed to d10s and I get a free reroll during this battle.

Daily second use of Lethal Hunter on Mtsvaneone, since you just pulled the last group out from under my axes

Melee Attack, Focused: 1d20+13 28 8d10+12 59 damage

Using my feat to activate DMA after an odd roll

Double Melee Attack, Focused: 1d20+13 23 8d10+12 53 using that reroll

Double Melee Attack, Focused Reroll: 1d20+13 18 Half of 53=26+8=32 miss damage

pre:
Wander
Level 8 Half-Elf Ranger
HP 144/144, Recoveries 8/10 (8d8+6)
AC 24, PD 24, MD 21
Init 12

Icons
	Sucher, the Pathfinder (Positive 4)

Backgrounds
	Faithful of Sucher +3
	Gigolo +2
	Wanderer +5
	Tracker +5

Attacks
      Focused Double Melee Attack
	Attack: +13 vs. AC. Once per battle, you can reroll this attack.
	Hit: 8d10+12 damage
	Miss: ((8d10+12)/2)+8 damage.
	Special: If the attack roll was even, you can take a move action and make the following attack.
	Secondary Target: One enemy
	Secondary Attack: +13 vs. AC, or +15 against anyone other than the primary target.
	Hit: 8d10+12 damage. 
	Miss: ((8d10+12)/2)+8 damage.

Ranged At-Will
	Attack: +12 vs. AC
	Hit: 8d8+12 damage
	Miss: 8 damage.

Equipment
	A fuckin' lot of tomahawks (8d8+12)
	Wyrmhide armor (AC 14)
	Traveling gear w/ elven accoutrements: flint and tinder, money pouch (450 platinum),
elven rain cloak, 50 ft of elven rope, elvenwood tent, grappling hook, satchel, bedroll, flask
	Elven wine, 3 bottles
	Healing potion, epic x3
	Potion of psychic resistance x1
	Rune, epic +3 x1

Magic Items
	Otto: A map infused with Sucher's divine magic that shows where I've been, and suggests, in the vaguest of terms,where I should be going.
	Belt of Resurgence (recharge 16+): Can heal using a recovery when I drop to 0 hp.
	Manual of Puissant Skill at Arms: (recharge 11+): Reroll a melee miss at +15.
	Gloves of Ambidexterity (recharge 11+): When I roll 16+ with the first melee attack during my turn, make a free-action attack at +20 vs. AC.
	Helm of Fortunate Dodging (recharge 11+): Turn a miss against AC or PD into a fumble.
	Cloak of Inviolability (recharge 16+): Turn a hit against PD into a miss. 

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 27, 2014

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Sorry, bit of a clusterfuck following my Plan of Study meeting, post soon-ish.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Wander, being the one who both has the pointy bits and seems to refuse to die, once again receives the brunt of the great beast's ire.

Once again he is swept up and thrown across the square like a rag doll.

Mtsvaneone once again rolls exactly a 24 for AC! Wander takes 100 damage! :toot:

Mtsvaneone, or Master if you Prefer
AC 28
PD 25
MD 20
HP 800 - 261 = 539

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 29, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Naděje

Naděje attempts to heal Wander again hoping he doesn't get hit badly again. After that she fires a blast of light at it and then charges towards it shouting, "You don't scare me you big lizard!"

Heal on Wander. Heal as if you're using a recovery. I'll spend the recovery for you.
Pacifist Javelin of Faith: 1d20+17 35
The dragon takes a -5 to its next attack.
Also moving to engage him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Also the escalation die is 2.

• Locked thread