Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Philip Rivers posted:

Honestly, I dunno how well the first scene will play in Japan since it's basically one long homage to the Cantina in Mos Eisley. Was Star Wars ever a big thing in Japan?

Star Wars kickstarted an entire generation of scifi anime, starting with the likes of Dirty Pair and Space Adventure Cobra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

roobots posted:

More importantly, whether Honey says "asteroid belt" or "rear end" also tells us a lot about her character. One makes her sound like an airhead who works at a titty restaurant, the other one subverts the Hooter's waitress persona we're being represented with and makes for a potentially more interesting female character. Which we could use more of.

I get what you're saying, but if her entire character relies on this one line, then they aren't doing a very good job.

Really, though, for me, it just comes back to the dub vs. sub debate. The English dub has to fit within a very narrow frame, which requires changing of wording and sometimes meaning of the dialog. With subs, there's more leeway to play around with, and they can even include little sidenotes to explain things that might not be apparent to non-Japanese speakers. But again, they'll have plenty of time to establish Honey as a legitimate character if that's what they intend to do.

Great Rumbler fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 6, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Scarlet's fight scene with those aliens was so Cowboy Bebop I thought I'd died and gone back to the 90's.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

darkgray posted:

Edit: better video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIz2kQizx9g

(I mean, maybe this is what it reminds you of, not that it's this guy animating Space Dandy)

I don't know who it was that animated that sequence in Space Dandy, but I do know that I immediately thought of Cowboy Bebop when I saw it.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
In terms of being "deep" or not...whatever. Space Dandy is just a fun show to watch. I mean, yeah, it's partially because it's clear that the people animating this are just having a blast pulling out all the stops and doing little their own little scenes and artistic flairs, but that definitely comes across for me and part of the reason I can't wait for the next episode is to see what they'll do next in the department. But only partially, I also like watching this band of space goofs bungle their way across the galaxy. Not everything's gotta be cerebral drama, or even overblown use of made up terms and vague imagery masquerading as depth [I'm looking at you, 50% of modern anime].

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Dragonatrix posted:

Eh, I dunno. I've made it through some pretty bad stuff, but Bebop always loses my interest around episode 4.

You basically stop with what's one of the series' most ridiculous episodes and right before one of the series best/most dramatic.

But anyway, just in terms of animation, style, and music, Cowboy Bebop is far and away better than 99.9% of anime.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Genocyber posted:

I've never understood why people think it's so amazing.

If it makes you feel any better, I've never understand how people can think it's not a really great anime series.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

surc posted:

So, from the thread I can assume the fan-service doesn't get toned down after the first episode? I get together with my dad every weekend to watch a few animes or other shows, and I felt pretty weird having suggested a show that spent like half the time focused on intense fan service.

There was about ten seconds of fan service in episode 2.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Silentman0 posted:

Sounded legit to me. If they were 10,000 light years away, it would have taken them at least 10,000 years to get the food to them.

It works because they sent the order back 10,000 years through time so that the food would arrive on time.

But what if they sent it back even further so that the food arrived BEFORE they put in the order? :psyduck:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Fun facts: Shinichiro Watanabe is credited as writing the first episode. Dai Sato has 2 and 6, Kimiko Ueno has 3 and 4, and Ichiro Okouchi has episode 5. Hayashi Mori and Keiko Nobumoto are credited and writers but not for specific episodes.

With the first episode, I think they just tried way too hard to say "Hey, guys, this totally ISN'T Cowboy Bebop."

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Everything about this episode just worked so well, a perfect embodiment of what this show is all about. Hilarious, great action, lots of fun, and...that ending. THAT ENDING.

And I know it's way too soon to be asking for a soundtrack, but I really want that soundtrack.

Great Rumbler fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 16, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Command Ant posted:

This episode reminded me of Redline, in that the space racing was a metaphor for passionate sex.

That, and using explosions as a means of gaining more speed.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
PUP, no. :smith:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
This episode was one of my favorites so far, even if only for the art and soundtrack. Different strokes, though, I guess.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
If I didn't know better, I'd swear that this episode was animated by Bill Plympton.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Failboattootoot posted:

So any word on how this show has done? Is it likely CN will consider this "worth it" or will they never sign off on something like this again?

Seems like it did pretty well for itself:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-06/adult-swim-cartoon-network-are-no.1-in-quarterly-rankings-for-key-demographics

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

trucutru posted:

Yeah, that's it, thanks. It reminds me of something else (some US cartoon), but I can not figure it out.

It's basically the Scooby Doo run animation:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
What do we know about the people responsible for this episode? Because I want to watch more their stuff.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Space Dandy: A Romance of Many Dimensions

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Toonami posted this on their Tumblr about the prospect of more Dandy:

quote:

We can’t really say, because that question hasn’t been answered definitively. It’s quite possible Dandy will be back as a movie or OVA, less likely that there will be a new series. We hope for more Dandy, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
A lot of people hate the court episode, but I liked it okay. Wasn't amazing, wasn't terrible.

The Yuasa episode and the plant planet episode were amazing, though. I could watch a whole series of trippy, weird episodes like that.

• Locked thread