Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm still getting used to the x52 pro, but oh my god it's so much better than the 360 controller. So many buttons. So much control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Gonkish posted:

I'm still getting used to the x52 pro, but oh my god it's so much better than the 360 controller. So many buttons. So much control.

I've had mine for about 3 weeks now, and I've just now gotten my buttons configured for this game the way I like.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm slowly adapting it, and it's just such a wonderful way to control everything. I haven't had a real joystick in, like, 15 years? This is so nice.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, I've not had a proper joystick since the amiga and it's fantastic.

Have they actually fenced off part of the galaxy for thargoids? I'd imagine they could just pick an area on the opposite side and as long as they get that expansion done in the next forty years nobody will have been there. :v:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's a thargoid

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

darth cookie posted:

I regret not rebuying my eagle after I wiped back to a sidewinder when I bought a Viper and then got caught out by the downgrade bug. It was fun and I didn't really get the chance to fly it properly kitted out. The Cobra is good, but it just doesn't agree with me.

Yeah, towards the end of beta 1 I gave the cobra a shot, and that thing is not for me at all. The maneuvering drove me completely insane, given that most of my time is spent in an eagle or viper. I haven't flown a type 9 or an anaconda (or an asp, but I haven't spent -that- much time in beta 2 thanks to shadow of mordor and other junk), but that's the one ship I couldn't get used to at all.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Turns out they snuck a keybind in to open the galaxy map. Makes course plotting a heck of a lot easier.

Which is?

Unbound by default or something? Swear I looked for it after 2.0, must have been a mini-patch.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I upgraded to a Lakon Type-6 a bit back, and my impressions after a few hours of driving it around (in stock configuration):

I was expecting a hulking, lumbering beast, but actually the T6 isn't that much larger than the Cobra. If the Sidewinder is a light jack-of-all-trades vessel and the Hauler is its light merchant buddy, then I'd say the Type-6 is to the Cobra what the Hauler is to the Sidewinder.

For a freighter, the Type-6 is surprisingly mobile - I wouldn't call it zippy by any definition, but the top speed of it is almost equivalent to a Cobra and the thrusters are beefy enough to give it a surprisingly nice turn radius. It's definitely not meant for dancing around in a dogfight, but it's almost easier to park than the Cobra, especially as stations like to still reserve you the more spacious big-boy pads. Slipping in and out of a docking bay gate feels just as easy as it does in a cobra, that is to say, you could pretty much fit three of these things side by side in the aperture and you'd still have a bit of elbow room left over.

The stock configuration gives you just a bit over ten light-years of jump range when fully loaded - with a 50-ton cargo hold, to boot - it's definitely not as bad as the Sidewinder, but I'd recommend making your frameshift drive your first priority when purchasing upgrades, followed immediately by your cargo capacity. (You can almost double your cargo capacity to a respectable ninety-ish tons, but there's no point in being able to haul all that when you can't actually jump anywhere useful with it).

Armament-wise, you have exactly twice the firepower of a Hauler - you get two small hardpoints (by default carrying a pair of loaner pulse lasers), located on the undersides of the engine pods. I haven't tried the thing in combat yet but the positioning suggests they'll suffer from the same problem as the Cobra's secondary mounts; the bulk of your ship being right above them is going to make aiming at anything above your 'waterline' a pain in the butt. With a Cobra, you often try and turn so your enemy is slightly above you - with the T6, you'll be aiming to have your enemy underneath you. I'd almost go as far as to recommend mounting missile racks on the T6 - homing missiles will let you threaten targets your guns wouldn't have line of sight to, and most players aren't willing to gently caress around with a target carrying them. Trading in a T6 (Why would you get a T6 if you weren't going to trade in it?) is going to easily make you enough profit to be able to afford them, too. Alternatively, you could mount turret weapons in them and try and keep your belly towards the enemy - the positioning of the mounts also seems to suggest that they'd be able to fire at targets directly behind you, as well, if you dipped your nose down a bit. A nice bonus is that your utility mounts are spaced neatly around your ship - two front (one above and one below the cockpit) and one on the very bottom-most corner of the rear. Mounting point defense turrets in those should make you fairly resistant to missiles (As opposed to the Cobra, which has two utility mounts sitting right next to one another on the underside of the ship, leaving a fairly large blind angle for them).

Finally, the protruding bubble-type canopy of the ship is considerably more vulnerable to weapons fire, but gives a BEAUTIFUL, wide field of view, especially compared to the downright claustrophobic Hauler cockpit - the control console is minimally sized and has a nice gap directly underneath it, making judging your landing and/or docking bay approach very easy. Makes it easy to be aware of what's happening around you (like, say, that crazy dude in a Sidewinder trying to dart past you through the docking bay door) and lets you appreciate the lovely views while you're hauling fortunes across the stars.

All in all, I was originally a little hesitant when I saw the loadout compared to my tricked-out Cobra, but I do think I quite like it.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 8, 2014

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
I dunno if it is confirmation bias but it feels like the upgraded thrusters I bought for my Cobra make a real difference in maneuverability. I never feel like it's too slow on a turn.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Meliae was a huge system to scan down, and for my troubles I made just over 900 credits :smithicide:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I believe you make more money for systems that haven't been or have rarely been scanned, so I don't know how popular Meliae is but its possible you chose a super frequently scanned system?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Acquire Currency! posted:

What's a thargoid

Thargoids are from the original Elite. They're mysterious and xenophobic aliens who are believed to reside in Witchspace (Hyperspace) and have the ability to pull hyperspacing ships into hyperspace pockets they control to attack them. They also travel to normalspace to attack.

They're highly aggressive and the Galactic Coopetative (the previous incarnation of the Federation) has fought several wsrs with them. IIRC, no one is even sure what they look like since they use robotic mothetships and drone fighters, which both look like octagonal UFOs.

Whether or not they exist in this reboot is uncertain AFAIK.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Has anyone been interdicted lately? I haven't been once since Beta 2 came out.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Slimy Hog posted:

Three or four times a session lately.

Much better than when Beta 2 came out where I was getting hit every 2 minutes it seemed.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

I believe you make more money for systems that haven't been or have rarely been scanned, so I don't know how popular Meliae is but its possible you chose a super frequently scanned system?

could be, which means I will have to go further down the tube, means getting out of my newly brought eagle, but still its at least a 25 planet system

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Braben's been really cute with his answers on the topic, but if he's as terrible of a liar as he appears to be, it's all but confirmed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Slimy Hog posted:

My last interdiction had literally the first Federal fighters I have seen since beta 2 started, though it was a fed scan AFTER I had offloaded illegal stuff.

Also, I hopped into Incursion to check out the feel for small railguns and beam lasers again without having to buy them. I finally beat that drat cobra (because he never used his missiles at point blank unavoidable range this time :downs:). Holy poo poo Fed fighters don't feel like a complete joke anymore, especially if you don't have gimballed weapons of any kind. "Okay I'll just hit them with a point blank railgun shot and... Their shield's barely noticed. Well, they nerfed railguns I think. Let's trace this beam laser over them at 4 pips and full beam energy... Uh, I ran out of power and his shield is not even halfway down".

Their hull is made of tissue paper once you get their shields down, sure. But drat their improved mobility makes trying to take them in a fixed/keep your aim on them consistently sidewinder a bitch compared to before, nevermind their shields taking more punishment than an AI cobra shield tends to.

Also! I am a huge idiot who did not realize until now wanted criminals at nav points count towards "Civilian" kills :downs: Which is great, because my luck with that in beta 1 was "A mission to kill 2 civilian ships in I bootis, does not count 4 civilian ships killed outside Chango dock. It just gets me wanted and bounty fines".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 8, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thargoids are from the original Elite. They're mysterious and xenophobic aliens who are believed to reside in Witchspace (Hyperspace) and have the ability to pull hyperspacing ships into hyperspace pockets they control to attack them. They also travel to normalspace to attack.

They're highly aggressive and the Galactic Coopetative (the previous incarnation of the Federation) has fought several wsrs with them. IIRC, no one is even sure what they look like since they use robotic mothetships and drone fighters, which both look like octagonal UFOs.

Solid thanks. I've also always thought witchspace is a cool name for hyperspace
Actually for a while watching videos I thought it was called 'which' space.
Going through the wiki I cannot loving believe it took me until now to realize there's a snake naming theme with the ships.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 8, 2014

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
It should be noted the devs literally said "It would be a shame if fargoids didn't come back" so its super duper mega ultra heavily implied they'll be back.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Knifegrab posted:

It should be noted the devs literally said "It would be a shame if fargoids didn't come back" so its super duper mega ultra heavily implied they'll be back.

Yeah, picture the above sentence with a Lakon 9's load of eyebrow waggling while it's being said too. i'll eat my hat in an entirely metaphorical way if there's no thargoids in E:D

sct
Mar 15, 2006

I don't want to go.
I really hope Beta 3 adds more to the group functionality. I mean it's already so much fun to cruise out to a nav beacon with a friend and just hunt bounties but it would be so much better if we could easily keep track of each other on radar and even share bounties.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
What the hell kind of snake is a Lakon? A Moray may not be much of a snake... but Lakon just sounds like it is completely made up. I'm missing the reference.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lakon is a manufacturer, not a ship. And the Type-6 and Type-9 are not from Elite (which has the snake theme) or Frontier: Elite 2 (which had a wider variety of names).

Ships from the Original Elite:

• Adder
  • Anaconda
  • Asp Mk II
  • Boa
  • Cobra Mk I
  • Cobra Mk III
  • Constrictor
  • Fer-de-Lance
  • Gecko
  • Krait
  • Mamba
  • Moray Star Boat
  • Python
  • Shuttle
  • Sidewinder Scout Ship
  • Thargoid Invasion Ship
  • Transporter
  • Viper Police Ship
  • Worm Class Landing Craft

Not all of them are snake themed, but most are.

[edit] Ship list from Frontier: Elite 2

• Adder
  • Anaconda
  • Asp Explorer
  • Boa
  • Cobra Mk 1
  • Cobra Mk 3
  • Constrictor
  • Eagle Long Range Fighter Mk 1, Mk2, & Mk 3
  • Falcon
  • Gecko
  • Hawk Airfighter
  • Imperial Courier
  • Imperial Trader
  • Interplanetary Shuttle
  • Kestrel Airfighter
  • Krait
  • Lifter
  • Lion
  • Long Range Cruiser
  • Lynx Bulk Carrier
  • Moray 'Starboat'
  • Osprey Attack Fighter
  • Panther Clipper
  • Puma Clipper
  • Python
  • Sidewinder
  • Tiger Trader
  • Transporter
  • Viper Defence Craft

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 8, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Section Z posted:

Also! I am a huge idiot who did not realize until now wanted criminals at nav points count towards "Civilian" kills :downs: Which is great, because my luck with that in beta 1 was "A mission to kill 2 civilian ships in I bootis, does not count 4 civilian ships killed outside Chango dock. It just gets me wanted and bounty fines".

I did not know this. Thanks for the tip.

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Section Z posted:

Well, while I don't know about asteroid belts...

The second part of your question is pretty clear at times. At least when I Bootis pulls this, you can click your way down the suns to reach the other side, and whatever stations are out there (Hi, Maher research!). Not such luck in all systems this happens in though.

Mashing WASD, QWERT, arrows, trying to zoom out with mousewheel (it zooms out a tiny bit, as you can see here :downs:) have not been agreeable when I run into this.

Hold and drag both mouse buttons in the system view, it will pan the view and lets you see everything. It also works in the galaxy map.
P.S. The center of the galaxy is so full with stars, I had to wait multiple seconds for it just to show me the lights of the stars on the map.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Messing around in my new eagle and have quickly come to the conclusion that I need a new energy-maker-thing. After meeting up with my friend, mostly to admire his snazzy new Viper, I felt a pang of enthusiasm and said something along the lines of 'Ooo, look at this! I got a new cannon.' at which point I deployed hardpoints and nearly suffocated, while slowly floating off screen like the startled puffer fish in Finding Nemo. After resetting my systems to not die I noticed that my power grid was 3% over capacity, so if I wanted to use my weapons at all I'd have to do some Apollo 13 amp-jigging everytime I entered combat, shaving off just enough power to let me both shoot my guns and breathe at the same time. Unfortunately the only thing I could really afford to turn off was my cargo bay, so I'm now flying around shooting things essentially pantsless, pulling a space-goatse anytime I fly past someone.

Long story short, any good place to by a power a power plant?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Hatch Breakers take up cargo space for teh record :effort:

Still trying to use them without crashing or getting murdered by a station (yes, anarchy systems do fire on you in a NFZ and you try and use hatch breakers :eng99:)

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Kill warrant scanner on a cobra, y/n?

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

Tirranek posted:

Messing around in my new eagle and have quickly come to the conclusion that I need a new energy-maker-thing. After meeting up with my friend, mostly to admire his snazzy new Viper, I felt a pang of enthusiasm and said something along the lines of 'Ooo, look at this! I got a new cannon.' at which point I deployed hardpoints and nearly suffocated, while slowly floating off screen like the startled puffer fish in Finding Nemo. After resetting my systems to not die I noticed that my power grid was 3% over capacity, so if I wanted to use my weapons at all I'd have to do some Apollo 13 amp-jigging everytime I entered combat, shaving off just enough power to let me both shoot my guns and breathe at the same time. Unfortunately the only thing I could really afford to turn off was my cargo bay, so I'm now flying around shooting things essentially pantsless, pulling a space-goatse anytime I fly past someone.

Long story short, any good place to by a power a power plant?

Far as I know, Styx and Asellus are still the places to go in the core systems. Once you update the guts of an eagle it is a night-and-day difference.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

darth cookie posted:

I did not know this. Thanks for the tip.

Glad my ramblings provide some actual useful information at times. Not EVERY wanted ship seems to do this (I just killed four wanted ships at the Asellus Navpoint, two out of three needed for a pair of missions are counted), it seems. By either design or coincidence, the two ships that did not count had federal bounties on them according to my warrant scanner as well. Though I picked up this kill mission in Eranin.

I hope wanted ships counting for civilian kills is not some kind of oversight, but I would not be surprised if it was considering the payouts are the same as "Go murder some cops" missions.

EDIT: Also, you can not cash in "Asellus Primus Freedom party" bounty vouchers at Foster Research. Which is a shame because that place is about 45 seconds away from the nav point. One more return trip for another Type 6 wanted and that's two missions down, with bounty totals worth more than either mission alone.

EDIT 2: 29k just for the five wanted bounties in Asellus alone. Then it cashed in 35k or so. looks like it cashed in all my federal bounties the scanner picked up. Nice.

GreenDragon42 posted:

Hold and drag both mouse buttons in the system view, it will pan the view and lets you see everything. It also works in the galaxy map.
P.S. The center of the galaxy is so full with stars, I had to wait multiple seconds for it just to show me the lights of the stars on the map.

Sweet, thank you.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 8, 2014

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
What is a fragment cannon and why do I want one so bad :stare:

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 8, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

What is a fragment cannon and why do I want one so bad :stare:

Space sawn off shotgun I think.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

darth cookie posted:

Space sawn off shotgun I think.

"Sawd", I believe, is the proper spelling.

Man, Haipeng Station better be amazing when I get there

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

DiHK posted:

"Sawd", I believe, is the proper spelling.

Man, Haipeng Station better be amazing when I get there

Prepare for disappointment.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
My new favorite load out on a Viper: 2x C2 Pulse lasers (fixed), 2x C1 Pulse lasers (gimballed). So much fun.

Also, I saw a camo Cobra just now.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Remote User posted:

My new favorite load out on a Viper: 2x C2 Pulse lasers (fixed), 2x C1 Pulse lasers (gimballed). So much fun.

Also, I saw a camo Cobra just now.

Sup lovely rendering bug buddy :hfive:

Really hope that gets fixed before beta 3...

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Wow, taking kill civilian missions then just sitting at a nav point blowing up everything with a bounty seems to be THE way to make cash now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pound_Coin posted:

Wow, taking kill civilian missions then just sitting at a nav point blowing up everything with a bounty seems to be THE way to make cash now.

14k, 18k, 19k for the Civilian kill missions (two were for the same area) picked up from Azeban Orbital.
Over 30k, and 20k just for the bounties involved, my Warrant scanner only picked out a couple low 1-3k extra bounties I think though. I shot an extra wanted type 6 or Asp before leaving each time, which helped pad out the bounty values by 6 to 9k.

I hope Player Asps are better, AI ones never take advantage of all those hardpoints and die faster than an AI type 6 to my Eagle, just from apparently being more fragile and slower in running away from me at full throttle speeds by comparison. EDIT: my two Low heat fixed burst lasers damage wise, are competetive with my single overcharged Gimballed MC in damage. The MC is more convenient when things are close but the burst lasers are way better at harassing things to death, suck it AI viper!

I still have a soft spot for "Please! We need you to deliver one ton of coffee and one ton of grain to BD+! we'll give you 14k each!" missions in my Eagle though, when they show up.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 8, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Anywhere near Eranin that sells Eagles btw? I've got about 50k saved up, so I'll be trying to buy one soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Can someone explain to me in detail how I can make my Viper turn faster? I'm getting to the point where every fight I'm in becomes me and the AI spinning around each other in a slow arc. I cut my speed down to half and I'm running 2 pips in each. I just don't understand why the ships I'm facing always seem to be able to stay on my 6 unless I start flying backward which of course leaves me open to a barrage before I can get a shot.

I've tried disabling flight help or whatever it's called but I can't tell any difference.

• Locked thread