Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Thank god for not going with unique ship names.

Rep wipe on death, I suspect will come with a mysterious increase in kamikaze AI related deaths.

EDIT: :doh: Hello new page. Queeb posted this up first

quote:

Hello you lovely backers!

Apologies for the delay – here’s the next DDF topic up for discussion, and it’s a nice little diversion: ship names!

We want them to mean something. In all the best adventure stories, ships are often characters in their own right, with suitably appropriate names. In addition, I feel that by allowing ships to be named more weight is added to player attachment and immersion.

Following on from this, I’m quite taken with the idea that we could perhaps find some form of mechanical benefits and penalties that could be applied. Perhaps something like this:
A ship can be given a name by a commander
A ship name can only be registered at a reputable space dock
There is a fee to register the name
Names are not unique
Ship names can be changed using the same procedure
Swear words detected in the name will be considered a crime in some of the more puritan systems (resulting in a crime)
As long as the ship is not destroyed, a named ship earns a tithe of reputation the commander earns
This additional reputation is applied to the commander whilst he/she is piloting the ship (up to a cap – though the ship can keep earning more reputation)
News feed bulletins will reference named ships with enough reputation, highlighting accomplishments achieved by them
Some missions and events may require minimum/maximum thresholds to trigger
When a named ship is destroyed, bonus reputation associated with it is lost

So, do you see merit in these rules, or are we complicating things for no good reason. Perhaps you think that just being able to have a name is enough? Or maybe you want more mechanics hooked onto it - or different ones. Maybe there's some cool rule waiting to be raised that describes how ship names could be used in nefarious ways?

Therefore, it's now time for me to open the floor to your suggestions.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I finally managed to get a decent Power Plant for my Eagle and fit it with a pair of (Fixed) Overcharged Beam Lasers and a single Gimballed Multi-Cannon on top and I checked a nearby USS to test the new guns out. The only thing there was a few containers with Scrap, so I decided to use them for target practice:

I love how 'accurate' fixed weapons are. :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Will I start seeing better missions and markets if I move out of the starting...er...area? Zone? Or since it's a beta is it pretty much the same everywhere?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

radintorov posted:

I love how 'accurate' fixed weapons are. :v:
Put more points in SYS. Seriously though, fixed should be fixed and not "slightly gimballed".

Also, holy poo poo am I regretting this science malarky already. Coming up on forty minutes and I'm still only at 1800c. :smith:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

Also, holy poo poo am I regretting this science malarky already. Coming up on forty minutes and I'm still only at 1800c. :smith:

YOU'VE GONE PLAID

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pilchenstein posted:

Put more points in SYS. Seriously though, fixed should be fixed and not "slightly gimballed".

While I know it's boring as hell to go through that kind of drive, part of me adores the situation of "poo poo, I'm only going 1,800 times the speed of light."

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Section Z posted:

While I know it's boring as hell to go through that kind of drive, part of me adores the situation of "poo poo, I'm only going 1,800 times the speed of light."
Yeah, it's a deeply revealing insight into the human condition. :v:

I passed 1900c at around 47 minutes and it's now a genuine concern that I'll have to leave the house before I reach max speed (2001c apparently). :ohdear:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Pilchenstein posted:

Seriously though, fixed should be fixed and not "slightly gimballed".

No they really shouldn't. Slight gimballing is for convergence and for helping aim at max-range enemies. It's absolutely necessary.

The reason those lasers in that picture are inaccurate is cause they're the overcharged subtype. If they weren't inaccurate despite being fixed you could completely cut out the downside they're supposed to have by mounting non-gimballed ones.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 17, 2014

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

I had more points in SYS before I recorded and the only thing that changed was that my lasers overheated faster. :v:
I believe the issue is that those are Overcharged Beams: I had a regular Beam Laser and two regular Gimballed Multis before I upgraded to the current loadout and both seemed to be more accurate in general than what I have now.
I'll definitely do a few tests when I get back home. :science:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
At 2001c please make a youtube of yourself ramming into the nearest sun.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Wait, so "overcharged" means less accurate? Does this apply to all OC weapons, including gimballed?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Pierson posted:

At 2001c please make a youtube of yourself ramming into the nearest sun.

At that speed, there's basically no way the gravity well will actually manage to slow you down meaningfully as well.

Also, does anyone else constantly have to veer and change approach on small stations because they need to "slow down", despite staying in the blue zone the whole time?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So my new HOTAS arrived just as I was finishing this up. Now to set it up and figure out what to do with all the buttons.. :getin:

Second Impressions -Cobra MKIII - Han Solo Wishes He Was This Cool

Out of all the Elite ship designs, the Falcon DeLacy Cobra MKIII is perhaps the most iconic. Debuting in the original -84 Elite as the player's first (and only) ship, this wedge-shaped wonder is to many fans the Elite ship. Coming in at a fairly affordable (relatively speaking) 250,918 credits, it's also a ship that's readily accessible to the new player - if a fresh player can earn their way out of a Sidewinder and into an Eagle or a Hauler in a few hours of play, they'll likely be able to hop into the cockpit of a Cobra after a day or so.

Appearance

The first thing you'll notice when you look at the Cobra in your hangar is how big it is - one of the first 'medium' class vessels in the game, clocking out at 257 tons with a full fuel tank and an empty cargo hold, the Cobra absolutely dwarfs the three 'light' ships - the Sidewinder, Eagle and Hauler. It's kind of telling about the scale of the game that the Cobra is, in fact, rather comparable in size and bulk to the iconic Millennium Falcon of Star Wars fame!

The Cobra comes from the same manufacturer that makes the Sidewinder, and in all honesty, it shows in the basic aesthetic. The Cobra's basic shape is a distinctive wide, flat arrowhead or wedge shape with a slightly blunted tip, broken up in places by slightly raised armor panels. It seems to work out better for the Cobra than the Sidewinder, however - the general impression I get from the Cobra resembles a stealth bomber or a manta ray. The basic paintjob is a simple cool neutral blue with white highlights and the occasional black utility panel. The ship's thermal dissipation panels form a gill-like series of darker slats on the ship's rear top surface, angled around a subtle 'hump' near the center of the hull that I'm going to assume is the main reactor bay. When the ship runs hot in combat, these radiator slats form a distinctive set of glowing stripes on its back. All in all, I quite like the Cobra's looks - it's simple but very distinctive, deadly but functional.

Cockpit

Stepping into the Cobra's cockpit, you're faced with plenty of dark faux-leather upholstery, rather like on the Sidewinder. The control console is blocky and sturdy-looking, geometric shapes covered in dark gray, leather-textured plastic casing. Gray metal trimmings and supports gleam among the dark muted colors, broken up in a few spots by lighter gray-brown fabric pads. Many of the surfaces hold small supply or maintenance compartments, and strapped-down supply containers make a reappearance, along with strategically-placed handles to make maneuvering around the space easier in null gravity. The Cobra is also the first ship to feature a two-man cockpit, with the pilot in the left-hand seat - the right-hand one is currently unoccupied, but it's rumored that in the final game, you can carry passengers or even invite your friends to share the bridge with you. The general feeling of the ship is functional, comfortable, somewhat spacious utility - the back of the cockpit even has a couple of video screens for a 'DeLacy Systems' computer with access to newsfeeds and entertainment channels, presumably to whittle away the long quiet hours on interstellar voyages.

As for the ship's canopy, the Cobra has a nice wide view directly forwards, but your line-of-sight is more limited when it comes to the sides of the ship - it's not quite as bad as the Hauler but is a step down from the canopy bubbles of the Sidewinder and the Eagle. The panel does extend some way above the pilot seat, as well, giving you field of view directly up, but the sheer bulk of the ship behind the cockpit does give you a big blind spot directly below and behind you. The canopy struts are thin and positioned well to not interfere with your field of vision. All in all, your field of view is perfectly sufficient for most purposes, but nothing to write home about.

Handling

The Cobra is, as previously mentioned, big - with a dry weight of 241 tons in stock configuration (and a 16-ton fuel tank to boot!) it's literally three times as heavy as an Eagle and six times the mass of a Sidewinder. (It is, in fact, also so wide it just barely fits on the 'standard' landing pad). Unsurprisingly, it also feels like it. The thruster array on the ship is beefy enough to maneuver well enough, but you certainly feel every ton of the ship's mass in a tight curve - and for all its agility, the Cobra does suffer from a turn radius wider than any of the light ships. The stock configuration's maneuverability is perfectly sufficient for dogfighting, but particularly nimble targets like Eagles will be difficult to keep in your sights for any length of time. Outside of combat, the ship does handle fairly well - the thruster array is beefy enough to let you neatly maneuver yourself in rather tight spaces, although the increased size of the ship does mean you have to be a little bit more careful when fitting yourself through a station's docking aperture. The Cobra being so wide compared to the smaller ships in the game means it's easy to scrape a wingtip on something if you're not paying attention, particularly if you've just 'graduated' to the Cobra.

When it comes to straight lines, however, hoo boy, what the Cobra loses out on agility it gains in sheer thruster power. Coasting along with two pips in your engine system gets you up to 211 meters per second - at full power, you get to about 281 - and when you hit your boosters, you'll find yourself temporarily breaching the 400 meters per second mark. That is, for further reference, well over the speed of sound (340 meters per second) - which the Eagle has trouble even reaching, let alone breaching. While an Eagle is perfectly capable of outmaneuvering you - your turn radius at top speed is pretty wide - the sheer speed you can put out in a straight line can be a rather nasty surprise. (Like many other ships, the Cobra's booster drains most of its engine cell in a single burst, forcing you to wait several seconds between boosts - however the sheer inertia of two and a half hundred tons of alloy moving at that speed means you retain that speed for surprisingly long, unless you start maneuvering).

For long-range travel, the Cobra's class 4 frameshift drive can propel it - in stock configuration and on a full fuel tank - up to 10,46 light years in a single jump. Loading up the spacious 18-ton cargo bay full will only drop it down to 9,78 LY - it turns out that the frameshift drive is scaled so that the Cobra actually stays 5 tons under the optimal tonnage limit when fully loaded up - solid and reliable performance that's unlikely to strand a commander for picking up that one last ton of cargo. On the downside, the Cobra's expansive fuel tank (16 tons!) is also needed - the Cobra's sheer mass means the drive will hork up a whopping two tons of fuel per jump at maximum range (Obviously, meaning you can handle a maximum of eight jumps at max range before you run dry, a respectable range). A trip of three or four frameshift jumps - not even draining the tank entirely - will frequently net you four-digit fuel bills.

Hardpoints

When it comes to armament, the Cobra carries a most respectable set of fangs on it. The ship actually has four hardpoints on it - two medium hardpoints and two small ones. That's right, the Cobra carries as much firepower in its secondary mounts as you can cram onto a Sidewinder. Meanwhile the medium hardpoints can accept powerful class 2 weapons - most of the time this means similar weapons as you'll see on an Eagle or Sidewinder, but (hilariously) upscaled.. along with unlocking the class-2 'small' plasma accelerator, a heavy energy cannon intended for cracking open light capital ships, and the class-2 fragment cannon - essentially an anti-ship shotgun.

The two 'main' hardpoints are positioned much like on the Sidewinder - the weapon bays sit at the very nose of the ship, directly below and to the sides of the cockpit canopy. Their line of sight is very good - again, if you can see your target, you probably can shoot at them. The secondary (small) hardpoints, however, are positioned slightly oddly - they sit a good distance apart from one another, quite far back on the belly of the ship, nearly at the very rear corners of the ship. This positioning makes them somewhat awkward when tracking - shooting at forward targets you really can't hit anything that's even a little bit above the 'waterline' of the ship, and fixed weapons in these mounts will have a hard time converging on a smaller target - although should you choose to mount turret weapons on them, they will likely have quite good fields of fire, particularly towards the back of the ship. If you decide to carry all turreted weapons, you likely won't have many blind spots in your coverage.

For utility equipment, the Cobra comes equipped with two utility mounts - both sit underneath the ship, a little bit forwards and towards the centerline of the ship from the secondary mounts. Two utility mounts is enough to carry along some interesting equipment, but the mounts' positioning makes them awkward for point defense - you'll be well-covered on the bottom of the ship, but have practically zero coverage towards your top half.

Fitting

The sheer virtue of having four hardpoints - and the ability to mount medium guns on the better-positioned ones - makes the Cobra powerfully flexible when it comes to its loadout. The ship's sheer speed paired with auto-tracking turret weapons would make it a powerful 'point defense' light ship hunter, and the ability to carry a pair of powerful fixed guns, paired with decent speed and mobility, would also enable the Cobra to seriously threaten larger ships. This flexibility, most of all, is the Cobra's defining trait - given any imaginable target profile and enough funding, you CAN build a Cobra superbly fit for the task - or stick with a more generalist loadout for threatening a wider variety of targets.

The twin utility mounts, meanwhile, highlight the flexibility on the rest of the Cobra. A ship invested in heavy combat and heat-intensive weapons (or smuggling under the radar) will have no problems carrying a heat sink launcher (or even two!) to help dump waste heat, and maybe a chaff launcher to mess around with an opponent's gimbal/turret weapons. One of these can easily be paired with a cargo scanner or kill warrant scanner for pirates and bounty hunters, respectively. Having two utility mounts means you have enough space for interesting options, while still being forced to consider carefully which of those options will be the most efficient for a given task.

The same theme of flexibility continues when it comes to the Cobra's interior spaces. The ship has a whopping six internal compartments - three class 4 compartments and three class 2s. These are, respectively, filled with two 8-ton cargo racks, a class 4 shield generator, a 2-ton cargo rack and a basic discovery scanner, leaving one of the class 2 compartments empty. This gives you a lot of space for playing around with to further build the Cobra of your dreams - an aspiring smuggler or merchantman can easily upgrade the class-3 racks to class 4s for a total of an impressive 34 tons of cargo space - should you choose to remove the discovery scanner, you can expand that up to 44 tons of cargo space by simply adding class 2 cargo racks. (Replacing the shield generator as well would bring you up to 60 tons, but at that point you're better off getting a Lakon-T6). A more combat-oriented pilot can easily fit all sorts of interesting extra equipment - like shield cell banks, field repair systems, limpet controller modules and the like - into those same internal compartments while retaining a healthy amount of cargo space for salvage and the occasional light cargo haul mission. An explorer can fit a most impressive scanner array to the same slots and head out into the black in search of new worlds to exploit.

Thankfully, the CObra is also built to handle all that extra kit. The default power generator on the ship puts out 10,4 MW of power - out of which only 7,82 - so about 75% - is actually put to use. This gives a new Cobra Commander plenty of power to play around with for loadouts, and means you actually have the chance to use all those slots before having to burn credits on a power plant overhaul. In the same vein, the ship's frameshift drive, thruster array and shield generator are all fairly well-fit for its mass - while improving on them most definitely will not hurt, there's no single screaming weakness in the Cobra's stock loadout, either.

Of course, all this utility and flexibility has to come with a price - and in the Cobras case, it is, well, price. The Cobra's power plant, thruster array and frame shift drive are all class 4 equipment, while the life support, power distributor and sensor suite are class 3. This makes them fairly big and weighty pieces of kit - and expensive to upgrade, as well. Paired with the Cobra's sheer mass and an energy-hungry frameshift drive, and the Cobra's greatest sole weakness seems to be not its equipment, but its operating cost - upgrading the ship's armor or equipment can be a costly proposition, to say nothing of the fuel and ammunition costs. While you're well-equipped to tackle larger challenges, you'll also be operating on more narrow profit margins than somebody who's settling for a smaller ship.

Combat

Normally I take the ships I test out to try out the default configuration, first - but let's face it. The Cobra's stock configuration is a pair of standard (small) loaner pulse lasers in the main (medium) mounts. We've already established, with the Cobra and Sidewinder, that even a pair of standard pulse lasers can be a threat to other ships. So I yanked those out - and dakka'd the Cobra up, going with a pair of medium gimbaled multicannons and a pair of small gimbal beam lasers (The power plant could, in fact, comfortably handle such a loadout, though I imagine it would've been different had I chosen to go with, say, a twin C2 rail guns in the main mounts). Next I headed out to a resource extraction zone to try my toys out.

The results were.. most satisfying.

While the Cobra's turn radius is more limited compared to smaller ships - the Sidewinder and Eagle most prominent comparisons - you're still mobile enough to keep things from getting frustrating. Of course skilled human pilots will be a different thing entirely, but the Cobra is definitely agile enough to keep up with most AI pilots - only the Eagle's mobility and small turn radius make it fairly hard to latch onto one, but once you have your target in your sights.. oh, sweet kee-rist, the DAMAGE you can do. Just a pair of (class 2, grade E, if I recall correctly) multicannons with no frills will absolutely decimate small NPC ships. I did find the twin lasers a bit hard to keep on target, but honestly, as much firepower as the dual C2s can put out, I felt more than alright in this. Sidewinders and Eagles simply cease to exist when you lock onto them; Cobras can take a bit more punishment but the sheer hail of ordinance is more than capable of dealing with them, too. What the Cobra loses out in agility, you get back in sheer absolute overwhelming firepower - and endurance, a glancing hit from an enemy Cobra's railgun failed to even penetrate my shields, where the same impact would've seriously threatened to wreck a smaller craft. However, you shouldn't get carried away - there's always some pilot more skilled than you, and a more agile craft can be very difficult to shake, unless you get creative. All in all, I consider the Cobra a very fun, very powerful ship to fly in combat - as long as you know what the hell you're doing, anyhow.

Putting It All together

The Cobra is what the Sidewinder hopes to be - a flexible multipurpose workhorse ship that can easily be kitted out and modified to perform whatever role you wish of it, in and out of combat. I honestly believe there is no pilot who will not find a use for some aspect of the ship - should they be willing to face the price of upgrading and operating it.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

At that speed, there's basically no way the gravity well will actually manage to slow you down meaningfully as well.

Also, does anyone else constantly have to veer and change approach on small stations because they need to "slow down", despite staying in the blue zone the whole time?

Just fuckin' firewall it at 5Mm out. "SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN" No, fuckchop, I'm already below 1Mm/s and dropping. I think I'm capable of pushing a button in that speed's second and a half Safe Disengage window.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
On a bulletin mission if they send me to assassinate a specific target in I Bootis, where can I find him within the system? Do I just go to all the unidentified signal sources and beacons until I eventually run into them?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GlyphGryph posted:

You can still drop out safely even with the Slow Down warning if you're at the appropriate <1000km and <1000 km/s and facing the target. I generally floor it and go max throttle when the gravity well naturally dips me to about 800 km/s (at the blue bar) - that makes my speed shoot up again but not above 1000km/s. I probably only save maybe 3-4 seconds that way but I'm impatient.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I barely made it to max speed before I left the house, so I can announce that the stock sidewinder takes a brisk fifty seven minutes and thirty nine seconds to reach 2001c. Also, emergency stopping at that speed did about 4-7% damage to modules, compared to 1-2% at 1.1Mm/s so it looks like it scales, albeit only slightly.

When I get home I'm gonna self destruct (because gently caress making that trip twice :v:), buy a bigger FSD and see if that increases acceleration.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I just got that X52 pro set up and what the hell? Pressing the lower trigger on the base of the stick gives me a slight electric shock. IT's not much - basically feels like I'm poking myself with a USB plug - but wut?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pilchenstein posted:

Dude, by Star Trek's warp scale you're going Warp 9.Something!

Also, this is amazing. :allears: :

quote:

Swear words detected in the name will be considered a crime in some of the more puritan systems (resulting in a crime)

I wonder if there will be any false positives or popular fake sci-fi swear words included. :haw:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wonder if there will be any false positives or popular fake sci-fi swear words included. :haw:

The Good Ship Smegging Frell, and it's sister ship "I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle"

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

calusari posted:

On a bulletin mission if they send me to assassinate a specific target in I Bootis, where can I find him within the system? Do I just go to all the unidentified signal sources and beacons until I eventually run into them?

Yup, named NPCs are basically random encounters in unidentified signal sources. You might want to consider getting a frameshift wake scanner - if they fire up their frameshift and escape, you can scan the resulting wake pattern and jump after them.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Newsletter today says mining is coming beta 3. Get your rocks off.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Ooohhhhhh poo poo, son! Newsletter also says Beta 3 is dropping October 28!

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Link to said Newsletter:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=fdacb0a6c0

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This explains why I could never find any mining lasers

C'mon mining! I wanna play Carebear Simulator 2014!

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Yay! Can stick up miners for their ore! Or make them give me protection money! :buddy:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

GlyphGryph posted:

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In beta 2, it's also less reliable than it used to be.

Testing it out by watching the clock as I approached and trying to keep it between 5-10 seconds, it seemed like the Hauler's optimal speed for sailing right up to a station was actually just below the blue zone when you're on the last leg and trying to decelerate. Meanwhile, the Cobra was usually fine sitting dead center in the blue zone.

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Oh boy. :geno:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

THERE'S PLATINUM IN THEM THAR ROCKS!

I'm looking forward to trying out the mining mechanic in Beta 3. Even if it's mostly going to be used by NPCs feeding the bottom of the supply chain, I want to see how it works and how profitable it can be.

Edit:

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Wait one goddamned minute. Who's the cheetostain using a Viper to mine?!? That makes no sense at all.

Sexual Lorax fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 17, 2014

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

As someone unfamiliar with the series, do the minerals get made into something or is it always just commodities and credits?

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play

DatonKallandor posted:

That's a people carrier. Probably means the next Beta isn't just going to have fuel scoops - it'll have people carrying missions (okay it's concept art, not an untextured model - so maybe not next Beta). I think that's the smallest one too, so think Space Limousine, not Space Yacht.

If that's the smallest one, holy poo poo. At least if the things that I think are doors/hatches/whatever are actually just that. I wonder how large those things will get

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

So I just got that X52 pro set up and what the hell? Pressing the lower trigger on the base of the stick gives me a slight electric shock. IT's not much - basically feels like I'm poking myself with a USB plug - but wut?

Wear rubber shoes while you play.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
They're planning to release Gamma / "The Full Game" on November 22nd? Does that seem a bit premature to anyone else, based on how much is still missing?

:psyduck:

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Rime posted:

They're planning to release Gamma / "The Full Game" on November 22nd? Does that seem a bit premature to anyone else, based on how much is still missing?

Wait and see what else comes with B3 I guess, I don't think it's just gonna be mining and skimming.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

Wear rubber shoes while you play.

I have no idea what the hell it was, but it's stopped now. Could be something wrong with my computer actual, too.

Now, the big question, the hell am I going to do with -four- slider switches/dials on the throttle lever?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rime posted:

Are they? The wording of the "premier event" section in the newsletter was kind of odd since it doesn't specifically mention anything about releasing the game.

Edit- In fact, after glancing over the newsletter again, I'm pretty sure this isn't a release date.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 17, 2014

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Pierson posted:

Will I start seeing better missions and markets if I move out of the starting...er...area? Zone? Or since it's a beta is it pretty much the same everywhere?

Try heading out to Aulis, pick up any and every propaganda mission going to Ithica, take some light cargo missions too. Visit every station. Do the reverse when you're in Ithica. You should make about 100k, more of you're hauling capacity is higher.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

You know, I couldn't figure out why I liked the Cobra as much as I do, until I read that and realized it's basically the Millennium Falcon. Now it all makes perfect sense.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rime posted:

Uh, yeah. I would say at the speed of content, they're a full year plus away from anything "Full Game" worthy. They have literally mountains of stuff to add. They have a basic space fight simulator right now and not much else. Keeps your attention for about 10 minutes at best.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Philthy posted:

Uh, yeah. I would say at the speed of content, they're a full year plus away from anything "Full Game" worthy. They have literally mountains of stuff to add. They have a basic space fight simulator right now and not much else. Keeps your attention for about 10 minutes at best.
I would disagree with everything you've said here, especially the ten minutes part - it's held my attention for hours at a time. What exactly do you think they've got left to add that would take over a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pilchenstein posted:

I would disagree with everything you've said here, especially the ten minutes part - it's held my attention for hours at a time. What exactly do you think they've got left to add that would take over a year?

There's actually a lot of things that have been confirmed by Frontier that aren't in the current beta. Here's a nice post that someone on the forums made listing everything, along with citations: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19639

One of the most telling things is actually the ship count. David Braben brought up the 25 playable ships on release number as recently as a month ago, and right now there are nine. There's also a lot of content that's not currently available, several mechanics (privateering, carrying passengers), and a variety of other things.

• Locked thread