Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Streaming some heroics. Come and join if you like watching death. :downs:

http://www.twitch.tv/iastsa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I know, double post, but I feel I need to get something off my chest.

gently caress :tbear:. That is all.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Aw man, I was gonna buy this but it looks like the site is down. Looks like tons of fun, and I'm not usually fond of roguelikes.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Step it up Playism

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
The final class is so broken, what the hell. "576 enemies defeated, beat 94% of enemies without taking damage".

khrits posted:

Grueling maniac done! Those purple dragons hit like a bitch, I could not figure out the secret boss.
Here's a rather spoilery hint on where to start your search, in the form of a post-game results screen which I would totally post outside of a response to this except it's got at least 3 major spoilery hints in it :(

Hint to go with the picture: The weapon in that screenshot doesn't actually work for the secret boss (I think?), but if you acquire it, the epilogue essentially tells you how to do it..

Full spoiler: The Holy Weapon "Neith's Holy Bow" fired into the center of the Darkness seems to trigger the fight.. though I haven't beaten it yet.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Aw man, I was gonna buy this but it looks like the site is down.

In the same boat. Welp.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Bought this game (yesterday), totally addicting. It's like Shiren the Wanderer, in the sense that you can carry over a few items from your last hero to the next one. That way, even if you senselessly die due to bad luck (rare), you can keep that +4 awesome sword for the next run.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Step it up Playism

I'm going to kick our admin in the head when I get into the office. There is no reason why the site should be down. I'll be sure to post in the thread when the site is back up.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Saved the world for real! Got Sara's Epilogue, too. :toot: At least, on Normal. Now to step up my game and maybe try a class that's not God Mode. Maybe Force User, since I got that Meditation +1 item from this clear..

thetrin posted:

Just got an email from someone who may have already won the contest [to defeat the Secret Boss] we're holding. I probably should not be surprised that it happened already. Going to have to investigate and make sure it's legit.

Is that the Darkness? Or is there another secret boss?

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 3, 2013

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Is the Playism site down for anyone else?

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

nucleicmaxid posted:

Is the Playism site down for anyone else?

Yeah, it's down at the moment. I just talked to our IT dept, and it looks like reddit basically crashed the site with traffic. One of our other games, Influent, just got a huge insurgence of interest on reddit, and the traffic crashed our server. IT is working on it right now.

Sorry guys. :(

I'll definitely let you know when it's back up.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Normal clear! :toot:

Beatdown on the Demon Lord with the king and man's best friend at my side.

Also one other screen I just had to capture.

:3:

Also trin, that sucks about the site but understandable. I hope some of that interest is directed towards Heroics too!

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Good news! Playism is back up. So, if you were trying to con some sweet old lady into spending her life savings on copies of One Way Heroics for all of SA, let the swindling begin!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

^ yay

Weird killing the Queen in her cell, walking 20kms and then running right into her again. And again and again and again. :unsmigghh:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Streaming this right now: https://www.twitch.tv/migishu

Playing on easy. I'm bad at video games.

Done for the night. Almost finished on Easy. Maybe Wednesday I'll stream again!

Migishu fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 3, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

btw thetrin the name of the critical up perk isn't translated in the online status display. :)

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Top Gym Pumper posted:

btw thetrin the name of the critical up perk isn't translated in the online status display. :)

Nice catch. I'll look into it. Thanks.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

thetrin posted:

Nice catch. I'll look into it. Thanks.
If you're looking into cleaning up quirks, here's some I found:

quote:

The "next time I'll do it without the vault!" victory message spans two options in the menu when you beat the game, and I think picking it or one of them results in a blank message on the "View clear data for other heroes" screen (pic), or at least I've only ever seen the blank message on vault characters.

Also when you clear the End of the World, the completion message shows up as "....." instead of "Reached the End of the World" or similar (pic).

The special class unlock title/condition says something like "Unlocked and cleared the game with six classes", which is definitely not right since I cleared it with only two or three by the time I had Hero. Maybe "Unlocked six classes and cleared the game"?

This one's really petty, but if you die via drowning the adventure log says "Drowned while swimming. at 15 km" (pic) with that extra . there (I assume victories are supposed to say "victory message! at 99 km" with a !).

Really though, you guys did a great job on the translation, I love reading the epilogues and death messages :3: I wish the fairy had a ton more questions to ask the player, though.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
I cleared the dimension DICKBUTT. I was apparently the first person to try it, amazingly enough

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Force User is actually just as broke as poo poo as Hero once you get it rolling.

Also protip do not casually wander into an elf hovel when you have a bounty. Also having a huge bounty does not get you free membership to the dark brotherhood but they just try to kill you like normal NPCs which is similar I guess.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

maketakunai posted:

If you're looking into cleaning up quirks, here's some I found:

Really though, you guys did a great job on the translation, I love reading the epilogues and death messages :3: I wish the fairy had a ton more questions to ask the player, though.

Thanks for the pointers, and the kind words! The amount of text is insane (clocking in at roughly 60,000 words). It's been total hell to localize and test the game with just one person doing the majority of it (my coworker, Josh). I helped with the QA at some level, and with editing the script, but it's a LOT for just two people to do, especially when there are so many variables that show up.

It was all worth it, though. I'm glad you guys are enjoying the game. :)

We're going to be releasing a new version soon that fixes a few issues, and you'll just need to download the new build from your Playism Account page.

zanmatto posted:

I cleared the dimension DICKBUTT. I was apparently the first person to try it, amazingly enough

This still floors me. I posted about it a couple pages back, and was truly surprised no one had tried it.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

thetrin posted:

This still floors me. I posted about it a couple pages back, and was truly surprised no one had tried it.
Out of curiosity, there aren't any "password"/easter egg dimensions, are there? Like a developer-defined "if you punch in PLAYISM you get the Queen and King by 100km". :tinfoil:

To be honest, it's a little tedious typing in specific Dimension names using the cursor keyboard, so I don't really do anything besides Random. It'd be great if it could support keyboard input like the character name page, but I suppose that'd be up to Wolf to support.

Devour or Fire posted:

Also protip do not casually wander into an elf hovel when you have a bounty.
Yeah, I did that once, rollin' through everywhere killin' all the NPCs, then stroll over to the elves and get instagibbed by the Elven Elder. Whooooops.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I tried Dickbutt, but I'm also very bad at this game and died.

I've started to get the hang of playing Bard, but I've not had any real luck with Adventurer or Force User. I kinda feel like I'm totally missing something with Adventurers, but with Force Users I just usually end up dying to enemies that hit too hard/have too much health to survive against, especially since running away doesn't really work terribly well without consuming an awakening or having dash.

Pirate, Swordsman, Knight, etc. aren't too hard for me, though.

Also, what's the best setup for an unarmed character? Right now I have four slots, so I was thinking 2 STR and 2 Pro Wrestler? Or should I just go all in on Pro Wrestler or Strength?

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 3, 2013

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Miijhal posted:

I've started to get the hang of playing Bard, but I've not had any real luck with Adventurer or Force User. I kinda feel like I'm totally missing something with Adventurers, but with Force Users I just usually end up dying to enemies that hit too hard/have too much health to survive against, especially since running away doesn't really work terribly well without consuming an awakening or having dash.
Yeah, for Adventurer I had to pump strength perks to survive the early game, and only beat the Demon Lord by kiting him into towns full of guards. He probably relies on the Vault or getting good drops more than anyone. Using Jump to hop rivers and mountains, then using Lances or Bows is pretty good, but this obviously doesn't work against Harpies, Crows or the Demon Lord. ThieAdventurers have high Agility so frequently you'll get a free turn (enemies will say "Stopped" over their head), that you can take advantage of by Jumping past, activating Dash, or bashing their face in.

I don't have much experience with Force User but I'm pretty sure you'll want to vault in a Staff so you can instacast magic, there's a Holy staff so if you get that then you're probably set for a run. Staves are pretty rare so you can't rely on finding one in a given Dimension. Force Users can also instacast when Awakening is active, or if a strong enemy is headed your way you can stack Meditates and then unleash a high-power fireball on them. They seem to suck up food like a vacuum, with their primary damage output requiring energy.. not too sure what to do about that other than crossing fingers.

p.s. Force User is a dumb name, what's wrong with Mage/Wizard/Sorcerer (Forcerer? (okay that's worse)) :(

Miijhal posted:

Also, what's the best setup for an unarmed character? Right now I have four slots, so I was thinking 2 STR and 2 Pro Wrestler? Or should I just go all in on Pro Wrestler or Strength?
Going 4x (or 5x) Pro Wrestler worked pretty well for me when I ran it (don't do this on an Adventurer or Bard), but I haven't done any math on 30% Combo + 5% Crit vs 20% extra attack power v:shobon:v

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 3, 2013

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had lots of fun streaming this. Slowly remembering to use my drat abilities.

Kinda wish there was a hotkey that I could put my abilities on so I don't have to go to the menu every time (lockpicking with a low lockpick level especially)

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Miijhal posted:

All in Pro-wrestler, in my experience. 1x doesn't mean anything on its own. You want agility or ridiculous crit-rate too, and it works best as a swordsman, because they get a bonus to combo rate and your damage comes from lots of weaker attacks. It takes a little bit to get going for that reason: you need lucky points of agility at level up or the goddess statue, or perhaps a lot of strength is sufficient.

Hulkamania runnin' wild.

Ed: Note the benefits from +Strength perks can be acquired down the line, but the benefit from Pro-wrestler is basically unique, as far as I know. It makes you quite tough, but you still need to avoid certain fights early on.

The Mimic fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 3, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Hard clear! :toot:

This one was a bit of a cheat. I took a semi-common armor and shield from the vault for added protection at the start and I saved once cause I had to take a break to get other stuff done.

Also check out dat stacked plate! :smug:

thetrin
May 4, 2009

maketakunai posted:

Out of curiosity, there aren't any "password"/easter egg dimensions, are there? Like a developer-defined "if you punch in PLAYISM you get the Queen and King by 100km". :tinfoil:

To be honest, it's a little tedious typing in specific Dimension names using the cursor keyboard, so I don't really do anything besides Random. It'd be great if it could support keyboard input like the character name page, but I suppose that'd be up to Wolf to support.

Keyboard input was actually something we requested from WOLF early on, but he explained that unfortunately, it would completely break the game as its currently built (the naming system used phonetic kana originally, and the input system was designed to avoid glitches when someone typed an incomplete kana. When it was switched to English, it makes less sense to do it that way, but he would have to rebuild certain things to implement keyboard support).

It's something I'm sure he'd like to revisit at a later date.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
New stuff is up, merc for the early companion.

The armor merchant thing sounds underwhelming, and it is, but the actual map has 2 brotherhoods at 300 km and a third brotherhood plus a holy shrine at 500 km.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

A Durability Attrition of >100% still won't stop you losing a little durability, but I do mean a little.

This thing loses 1 durability every 12 attacks or so:

Sturdy Panty's Sword +9 posted:

Weight 4, Attack 22 x 1.4
Durability Attrition -110%
Crit Chance +90%
Accuracy +25%

Also, if you keep reading stuff on a level 9+ sword you'll just increase variables already on it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The pirate damage is really ridiculous. If you find equipment that helps survivability he can really dominate a game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How does the vault actually work? If I grab something out of it and use it, it's gone right?
Is the basic idea to save a good sword, pull it out at the beginning, apply sharpening stones and scrolls to it, and then save it at the end. Repeat until it's awesome?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is the basic idea to save a good sword, pull it out at the beginning, apply sharpening stones and scrolls to it, and then save it at the end. Repeat until it's awesome?

That's what I've been doing, banking anything else remotely interesting along the way. Getting some 'good but light' equipment in there can really help boost a character, too. And bracelets should always be saved, they're just too good not to cycle through the vault.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just realized that when you die, you can still put stuff in the vault.
That makes everything so much simpler, might as well bring along a few items, just in case. If I get killed 30 seconds in, I can just put them back in the vault.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
You don't even need to put the stuff back into the vault, you only need to put the items back if you want to put something else in there too, or if you win the game. If you pick up Your Fave Sword and a bunch of other swag on a new character and die at 50km to a red star doggy or something, you can just leave the result screen after you die and the items in the vault will stay as they were before you started. The items pretty much only change when you put in or swap stuff after a game, or when you win. So you can have fun trying out characters with cool equipment but a godly sword can't carry you through more than a few victories, unless you get lucky with repair scrolls.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Is there any way to purchase if your card has been locked out of paypal?

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Delamore posted:

Is there any way to purchase if your card has been locked out of paypal?

If you have a bank account attached to Paypal, you can use that too.

Unfortunately we only use Paypal right now, but we're actually working to add more payment methods to Playism as soon as possible.

Also, big news! One Way Heroics is up on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198746495 :toot:

Just like other Playism titles, users that purchased One Way Heroics on Playism will receive a free Steam key once the game is available on Steam! Please help get it up on Steam :D

Panzeh posted:

The pirate damage is really ridiculous. If you find equipment that helps survivability he can really dominate a game.

Pirate is my go-to class in the game. He's great for getting through walls when you need an escape route.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

thetrin posted:

Also, big news! One Way Heroics is up on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198746495 :toot:

Just like other Playism titles, users that purchased One Way Heroics on Playism will receive a free Steam key once the game is available on Steam! Please help get it up on Steam :D

Done! Even wrote a mini-review for you.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess I'll write a nice comment as well. I'm looking forward to it being on Steam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Sheesh I keep starting up this game and then 2 hours fly by without me noticing.

Also voting this up on Greenlight

Anyone done Vaultless Hard difficulty yet? Feels like it's incredibly difficult to survive the Demon Lord's first appearance on that mode. Though, I realize that I haven't tried to force him off the left side of the map yet... Yeah I'm an idiot, Khrits has a screenshot of this on the previous page, and it wasn't even hard to get him to fall off the map.

booksnake fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 4, 2013

• Locked thread