Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
You can either play as a Force User, who can spend levels to learn spells on their own or pay the fortuneteller to teach you spells, although some of them are exclusive to Force User. If you're having trouble finding a fortuneteller randomly, one of the special daily scennarios spawns her in the starting castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Game is on sale for a dollar on their site. It doesn't come with a Steam key.
http://playism-games.com/games/owhpaypal/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just got into this. I killed the demon lord pretty easily, now I'm going to try a hunter, my only question is what do I do about arrows? It seems they never drop randomly and the only way to get them is from merchants. Should I not be using arrows that much?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

Just got into this. I killed the demon lord pretty easily, now I'm going to try a hunter, my only question is what do I do about arrows? It seems they never drop randomly and the only way to get them is from merchants. Should I not be using arrows that much?

You'll find metric shittons from merchants, I can't recall ever really being arrow limited, unless the world has a no merchants attribute or something

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I really love this game. It's such a simple but well-executed concept.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This and Dungeonmans are two games I'd use to introduce friends to the roguelike genre

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Powercrazy posted:

You might want to avoid killing every enemy you see since some are real sponges. You can farm Jades for their arrows and if you are good enough to avoid them.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Scalding Coffee posted:

You might want to avoid killing every enemy you see since some are real sponges. You can farm Jades for their arrows and if you are good enough to avoid them.

Yea it seems like that is a good strat as hunter. The Jade Arrows are also apparently some of the best in the game.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The Steam Summer Sale is well underway and OWH is on there for under a dollar.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210/

You pretty much have no excuse now if you haven't tried it yet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

iastudent posted:

Picked this up, got to 400km, got my rear end immolated by a (the?) Demon Lord (and died horribly suffocating on the flames, what the gently caress :gonk:)

Been hunting the thread, any "no seriously I don't know what the gently caress about roguelikes even as lite as this anymore" posts out there?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

Picked this up, got to 400km, got my rear end immolated by a (the?) Demon Lord (and died horribly suffocating on the flames, what the gently caress :gonk:)

Been hunting the thread, any "no seriously I don't know what the gently caress about roguelikes even as lite as this anymore" posts out there?

Save your time pause special moves for the demon lord and wreck him.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Always try to have a shield equipped since they are very powerful defensively.

For the demon lord you can stop his fire magic if you move away after he focuses.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just picked this game up. I'm having a lot of fun so far, even if I've yet to even get to 400km.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

iastudent posted:

I picked it up during the sale. As of two weeks ago I have unlocked every achievement. My last play-throughs were entirely naked, except for a crown. Playing using Zenura Weave and multiple Professional Wrestler edges.

I actually wish the game wasn't quite as easy as it turned out to be. I enjoy wasting my life pounding my head against the walls with roguelikes, and I expected the side-scrolling aspect to make this one a real ball-buster. But I beat the demon lord on my first (Walk in the park) playthrough and I think overall I won more games than I lost.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, I was playing on what I assume is Normal difficulty, and I fought the Demon Lord at somewhere around 1000km, had a +9 Longsword (Confusing, Binding, Burning, and lots of Quality) and opened with a Vial of Acid. I threw a loving Eagle Blade at him when it was 1 from breaking, and was doing 50-100 damage per hit with my +9, including more than a handful of double or triple hits, with only occasional pulls back to heal or avoid getting blasted by fire.

And I still only got him down to like 1/2 health before he left. Then I ran like hell for 400km from demons and that apparently expected me to be way stronger than I am, until I got cornered by double-moving super-elite lions. And I spent most of my levels at Goddess Statues on Agility! Did I end up with some inexplicable superdick of a world that suddenly ramped up at around 800km, or is every game like that and I'm just missing something? If it helps, the worldseed name was Fsteak.

Also, what happens if you keep running from him forever? I've heard something about different endings, but have no idea how to trigger any of them.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 28, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Poison Mushroom posted:

Also, what happens if you keep running from him forever? I've heard something about different endings, but have no idea how to trigger any of them.

The three endings are:

1. The conventional one - kill the demon lord.
2. Run for a really, really long time (I think 10000km)
3. Get a holy weapon, then use it to attack the darkness. Survive the resulting encounter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay.

So, on #2: Can I save/load, or does it have to be a 'raw' file where I'd still get Hero points? And on #3, how difficult a fight are we talking?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
No idea, I've only actually done 1 myself. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay.

So, on #2: Can I save/load, or does it have to be a 'raw' file where I'd still get Hero points? And on #3, how difficult a fight are we talking?
There are many endings. You have characters, how you ended the game, and some others I saw in screenshots.

You get points from that file the first time you beat it, so exiting out before it saves can get you more points.

That third ending gets easier the longer you hold off on doing it. It is rather hard early on and it can be done at the start.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Maybe I'm not understanding the "flow" of this game. But I've played several times and it seems like I get outscaled pretty quickly, and replacement weapons/armor are hard/impossible to come by.

I beat the Demonlord once on walk in the park, but afternoon stroll kicks my rear end pretty regularly. It also doesn't help that on the rare occasions I find a holy weapon, it ends up breaking pretty quickly and there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to keep your weapon repaired.

Is the "secret" that you grind with a knight or a swordmaster, get good weapon use the dimensional backpack thing, and then just keep using the same weapon and then never replacing the contents of your backpack so that weapon is always available?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Powercrazy posted:

Is the "secret" that you grind with a knight or a swordmaster, get good weapon use the dimensional backpack thing, and then just keep using the same weapon and then never replacing the contents of your backpack so that weapon is always available?

That doesn't work. When you get an ending your dimensional storage gets auto-saved (unless they changed that? I haven't played for a long while).

There's no real secret except for saving your weapons for things that need them. Don't waste your holy weapon on wolves and bats for instance.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

It also doesn't help that on the rare occasions I find a holy weapon, it ends up breaking pretty quickly and there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to keep your weapon repaired.
From one newbie to another, the best thing I've found so far is to have a high-durability, average-damage weapon like a Short/Long Sword for mook fighting, and then your "Oh poo poo" weapon that you're slowly stacking buffs on in your backpack. If you have the carry weight for it, a back-up shield doesn't hurt, either. Armor tends to keep its durability much better as long as you've got a shield and/or decent dodge, though.

Alternatively, play a Swordmaster, stack five ranks of Pro Wrestler, and then pour all your Goddess Statue usage into Strength, then Fist of the North Star everyone to death. :getin:

Also, best tip for saving weapon durability: Wooden arrows cost no weight, are dirt cheap, and do pretty decent damage when you throw them if your Strength is even mediocre. Stock up on them, and you can take out weak enemies as they approach without so much as denting your sword.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 28, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Holy weapons are best left for DL and other bosses. You really have to upgrade their durability or play higher difficulties for the repair item. Don't bother keeping them forever since you won't rely on them for normal combat until you abuse all the upgrades you can get on it. It is pretty awesome how powerful it can get at high levels compared to someone who puts everything into fists.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My only time winning afternoon stroll came from a Bard playthrough where I had the pet, the knight, and found the princess at like 200km. It was great.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is Soldier D worth that huge amount of Charisma?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Nah, he's a loser

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is Soldier D worth that huge amount of Charisma?

He's not that great, but he can take a few hits, and a proper bard build wants as many companions as you can get.

A bard gets as many companions as possible, uses the spell that makes all damage you take or deal only do 10% of the normal, the buff that makes all companions attacks better, and then armors up while companions kill the demon lord.

Getting the soldier makes the early game really easy too.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Punching Hero is the silliest thing. If you don't die accidently in the first 3 minutes of the game, you are now an avatar of destruction that can kill the Demon Lord anywhere from its first to third appearance on any difficulty. Outrageous combo potential + Zenura Weave damage piercing barriers is just silly. Swap even one wrestler feat for the +Shield feat and you're pretty much immortal.

I beat the game with every class using 3-5x Pro Wrestler. Force User was actually pretty funny since I got Phalanx and Healing. Muscle Wizard.

I actually can't stop punching things to death and play the game normally. I will never defeat the Darkness like this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Archenteron posted:

I actually can't stop punching things to death and play the game normally. I will never defeat the Darkness like this.
Wean yourself off. Play a x2 or x3, so it's a decent backup weapon, but you learn not to rely on it when you have actual weapons.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

Poison Mushroom posted:

Also, best tip for saving weapon durability: Wooden arrows cost no weight, are dirt cheap, and do pretty decent damage when you throw them if your Strength is even mediocre. Stock up on them, and you can take out weak enemies as they approach without so much as denting your sword.

THIS. The biggest game-changer for me mechanic-wise was figuring out you don't need a bow to shoot arrows, just toss them (with a melee weapon equipped for when the monster closes in). This increased my early game survival rate exponentially on harder maps, especially with Adventurers, who can just throw arrows and dash away from 90% of threats until you get some decent equips.

(I only do "true" runs or whatever the game calls maps where you don't use the vault, cause I find it more fun that way. If you use the vault then just do whatever, the game isn't that hard with items)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

drat horror queefs posted:

THIS. The biggest game-changer for me mechanic-wise was figuring out you don't need a bow to shoot arrows, just toss them (with a melee weapon equipped for when the monster closes in). This increased my early game survival rate exponentially on harder maps, especially with Adventurers, who can just throw arrows and dash away from 90% of threats until you get some decent equips.

This is also the best way to beat the Demon overlord guy too. Peal off his shields with thrown arrows since it blocks an amount of hits, not an amount of damage, then hit his face with your weapon.

Or lure him into a town and watch as every NPC dogpiles him. He'll wreck them, but they'll deal with the shields nicely.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

drat horror queefs posted:

(I only do "true" runs or whatever the game calls maps where you don't use the vault, cause I find it more fun that way. If you use the vault then just do whatever, the game isn't that hard with items)

I may try this. I usually get Master of Unlocking, and a bunch of agility, is that all I need for arrows to be effective?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I don't know how stats work exactly, but one big piece of advice I needed drilled into my head: If you reach a volcano area, do not fight poo poo in there. Those dragons are stupid bags of HP that deal a ton of damage. Run as fast as you can out of there, even if it means passing up some items.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fire damage in general is Bad News, but dragons are big and bulky and use fire exclusively.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Powercrazy posted:

I may try this. I usually get Master of Unlocking, and a bunch of agility, is that all I need for arrows to be effective?
Arrows depend on strength. Get that speed accessory and nothing will catch up to you. A throwaway bow is good for fighting Jades. You will have just enough range for it.

Volcano is not so bad. You never melee dragons and they rarely drop save crystals.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

Powercrazy posted:

Well, the whole point is that running+throwing arrows is only to keep you alive until you get whatever items suit your build. It's a really common item that steamrolls 90% of early enemies,* irrespective of your stats (I don't even know if agility affects thrown arrows to be honest), so you can use whatever perks you normally do.

It's particularly useful for the Adventurer class cause they only start with a piece of poo poo 2 power dagger and no other useful combat skills. It also weighs 0, which is amazing for early on when you don't have enough carry capacity for poo poo-all. But if you're playing a Force User or something you're better off just spending the turn meditating than throwing crappy darts. Depends on the run.

*(provided you have room to run)

damn horror queefs fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 29, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You might as well take something that'll improve Crit Chance instead of Master of Unlocking, then prop it up with a couple goddess levels. Since crits pierce defence they'll hammer through chests like no-one's business.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly my chest strategy is carry around an axe at all times, no matter my actual weapon of choice

this is also my wall strategy

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay.

You can save and load as much as you want, I abused this to hell and back. It's a pretty difficult fight, especially if you have no easy way to attack things from a range, you're better off using a Force User for it.

Mehuyael posted:

That doesn't work. When you get an ending your dimensional storage gets auto-saved (unless they changed that? I haven't played for a long while).

There's no real secret except for saving your weapons for things that need them. Don't waste your holy weapon on wolves and bats for instance.

It works, dimensional storage status isn't changed until you actually choose to put your leftover stuff in there when you beat the game. If you don't save it, it stays as it was and you can keep on using the same built-up gear for every run attempt until you actually make some progress. I personally thought most of the holy weapons were pretty pointless outside of triggering one of the endings, they have way too low durability and getting guaranteed criticals isn't that difficult, which is the main reason holy weapons ignore DL's barrier. There's some exceptions though, the staff you get is stupidly useful for Force Users and most of the armor is also pretty useful.

Another thing that hasn't really been pointed out is that Zenura Weave only prevents you from wearing armor, you can still use accessories and a good number of those are pretty drat good. Being the crazy bastard that I am, I played a good chunk of Inhumane Odyssey on Maniac with a Bracelet of Training I managed to find early and this was the result:

Sure, I abused saves like no other but I'm sure as hell not going to abandon a ridiculously lenghty run like that just because the RNG decides to stick a nearly unpassable mountain range in my path. Not that I wouldn't have abused saves even if it didn't...

AnotherGamer fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

AnotherGamer posted:

It works, dimensional storage status isn't changed until you actually choose to put your leftover stuff in there when you beat the game. If you don't save it, it stays as it was and you can keep on using the same built-up gear for every run attempt until you actually make some progress. I personally thought most of the holy weapons were pretty pointless outside of triggering one of the endings, they have way too low durability and getting guaranteed criticals isn't that difficult, which is the main reason holy weapons ignore DL's barrier. There's some exceptions though, the staff you get is stupidly useful for Force Users and most of the armor is also pretty useful.

I don't know why they changed that. When I played it would just automatically save your dimensional inventory as soon as you got an ending (i.e. ended a game without dying) so that you couldn't abuse awesome equipment forever.

• Locked thread