Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

:siren::siren::siren:It's out on Steam go get it!:siren::siren::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dabsEn4mtnE

One Way Heroics is a forced-scrolling Japanese roguelike. Think something like Shiren the Wanderer or any one of the many other Mystery Dungeon games mashed with those scrolling stages from the Mario games that you hated as a kid.

quote:

In One Way Heroics, you take on the role of an intrepid adventurer who must travel across the land and face the Demon Lord before a mysterious darkness engulfs everything.

Darkness always approaches from the left, and with each movement, attack and action you take, the darkness creeps ever closer. Forced to run right, you'll encounter any number of monsters, allies, thieves and shops on your desperate journey to stop the end of everything.

It's a roguelike, they're pretty popular these days, you probably understand how they work. It's turn-based, the world is randomized, equipment has to be identified, death is (mostly) permanent. You get it. There are also some extra Mystery Dungeon-inspired twists such as a UI that isn't from the 80s and that doesn't use half of the keys on your keyboard. I like Crawl and Nethack as much as everyone else but it doesn't hurt to have a more approachable roguelike now and again. Runs in this game are a fair bit shorter than those of your average RL too.

The Game

At the beginning of the game you select a character class and a variety of special perks that influence your stats and abilities. Your goal is to run → away from the wall of darkness that's steadily devouring the world, battling monsters, increasing your stats, and finding useful items and equipment until you're strong enough to fight the Demon Lord and win. All the while you have to be very careful not to become trapped and unable to continue moving right. Falling off the left-side of the screen means instant death. It's a turn-based game, the screen only scrolls when you act. Think about what you're doing and move carefully.

Life is self-explanatory. It regenerates automatically.
ST (Stamina) is expended for special abilities and spells. It also regenerates automatically.
Energy drains constantly, you have to keep it up by eating food. If you run out of Energy your Stamina regen will stop and your Life regen will be halved.

That thing on the right is the minimap.

It's super important that you keep an eye on the minimap as you go in order to avoid being trapped by obstacles and to ensure that you don't miss out on dungeons, towns, and other points of interest. In some cases, such as after using the Area Map item, towns and dungeons will be clearly marked on the minimap by glowing blue and red squares.

This clock hangs out in the top-right corner of the screen and indicates the time remaining until the Demon Lord shows up to stomp your poo poo in. When the light-blue hand strikes 12:00 he will appear and come after you at which point you either need to stand and fight him or run the hell away. After three in-game hours pass he will teleport away and the timer will reset to a random value. Any damage you deal to him is persistent so you can slowly chip away at him over the course of several fights.

Party Members

You won't always be adventuring alone. You can be accompanied by up to three party members, who automatically follow you everywhere you go and attack when you do, though not always the target that you choose. The Loyal Pet perk is an easy way to start with a party member. You'll need Charisma Points to recruit any others that you might encounter.

There are only a handful of them but they have their own stories to tell and unique items to bestow so they're definitely worth tracking down and, if possible, completing the game with. It isn't always easy to keep them alive though. Using healing items on yourself will heal them too, and here's an important tip about positioning with party members from a loading screen:

Dimensions and How They Work

When you choose to begin a new game you see this screen. Worlds are generated by random seeds, sequences of numbers and letters. The four Campaign Dimensions change every day, offering special opportunities and unique challenges to tackle daily. After selecting a world you get to select the difficulty you'd like to play it on. At the beginning of the game you can only play on Walk in the Park (Easy) and Afternoon Stroll (Normal) but there are tougher difficulties to unlock from there. It starts out pretty easy but can turn into a real monster if you want it to!

This game doesn't have multiplayer so you won't actually meet other players, but if you're playing the same world as them you'll see their statuses update in the top-left corner of the screen at regular intervals. You can set the messages that appear under your entry through the Online Comment menu in the in-game options, or by pressing the Q key.

Occasionally you'll also meet some poor player's ghost, who will reward you with Life and EXP bonuses and an item if you speak to them. This online stuff works with ANY world and across difficulties so long as there is another player who is also playing that same world.

After the Game

Win or lose, at the end of your run you're presented with a results screen and graded on your performance. Your Heroics Level is awarded to you as Hero Points which you can spend to unlock new classes and perks and increase the size of your Dimensional Vault, a way to carry items from one playthrough to another.

You can access the Vault at the beginning of each run by speaking to this NPC in the starting castle.

If you successfully complete a world your character will be preserved for everyone to see on what is basically a high score table. You can check the clear tables for any worlds you've completed from the main menu. Compete with your lame friends! or something.

Controls

Move using the arrow keys or the numpad. You can move in eight directions, easiest done using the numpad. Alternately you can hold CTRL to lock your movement to diagonals.

Z - Attack with your equipped weapon in the direction you're facing / Confirm / Talk to NPC
X - Open your menu to use skills and access items and equipment / Cancel
C - Lock your position and change your facing. Vital when using ranged weapons, but don't ignore it as a melee fighter. You take 1.5x damage when hit from behind!
CTRL - When pressed in the inventory or equipment menus it will auto-sort your items.
Q - Shortcut to the online comment menu.
W - Shortcut to the message log.
F4 - Double screen size.
F10 - Full screen mode.
Print Screen - Puts a screenshot in the game's directory.

Other Stuff

There's a lot to discover in this game and I couldn't possibly explain every single feature in this post. Look around, experiment, get creative.

Here's a Wiki with some helpful stuff on it probably: http://onewayheroics.wikia.com/wiki/One_Way_Heroics_Wiki

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Devour or Fire posted:

Going full Hulkamania is crazy legit and got me my first win as an Adventurer that spent 15 turns in frozen time running wild on the Demon Lord, brother.

That said, stacking agility is very broken considering all the benefits you get from going light speed, which are made incredibly obvious if you do it on the final secret class after using their legendary ability.

Maniac mode makes agility a little less useful. ;)

Geokinesis posted:

Hmm had a first run but I'm not really sure how to do better, I died to some tough imp that just out damaged me so hard.

Make sure that you're using your special abilities. The one that freezes time is a big obvious one but if you're playing a Swordmaster or a Knight don't ignore their other skills, they can really save your life.

Spend hero points after you die on perks and to expand your dimensional vault. As you buy perks additional slots for them will unlock during character creation, up to five max. Save any useful items you might have in the vault and pull them out for future runs. Good equipment with a lot of durability left, boxed lunches, healing potions, anything that could give your future self a leg up.

Oh , and keep an eye out for enemies with special icons over their heads. A yellow triangle means that they're a few levels tougher than usual, a red star means that they're A LOT of levels tougher. Doesn't mean that you should always run from them, they're often worth a ton of EXP, but definitely think about whether or not you should be fighting them in your current state. Don't get into fights that you aren't sure you can win!

e: btw the "play with other heroes!" event today is in a super messed up world. Has a ton of those purple plagueland zones and they're really scary on higher difficulties! :qq:

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 1, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

iastudent posted:

Just got done streaming my first go at this game. Got filled with arrows by PETA Jade Forest rangers.

The dynamic music in this game is really nice, I'm gonna be at this for a while.

You should post a link when you stream, I'd be down to watch you die horribly.

Social Animal posted:

Any clues regarding the whereabouts of the secret boss?

Also going pirate and stacking wrestler perk owns.

Pay attention to the ending text you get for finishing on medium or higher. You might need a special kind of item. :)

BTW if anyone figures out how to get a Dark Brotherhood membership card I'd love to know. My guess is that it has to do with murdering a lot of innocent people but I haven't put it to the test yet.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Stelas posted:

The most reliable way I've found to get chests open, aside from 'just use an axe', is to stack crit chance on the goddess statues. Crits seem to ignore armor completely, so they'll utterly carve through chests and walls in no time.

The Bash skill on any class that has it works really well too.

btw if you're looking for a holy weapon give ALTBDFJC a try. There's a shrine right near the start. You'll have to bring your own key of course.

Oh, and if you find a world with any of the recruitable characters other than the queen (she's really common) in it I'd super appreciate it if you'd copy it down and post it in this thread because I'm having a real hard time finding them. Found the Black Knight in a random one once but didn't think to make a note of it.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 1, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

With a class like the bard, how can you find more recruitable NPCs?

Try giving yourself a charisma+ perk and chatting up that bottom-left guard in the starting castle. :D

Otherwise you'll have to find them in the world. The only one I've found with any regularity is the Queen. You get a notice about a "kindred soul" or something nearby when you're near her. She's in a jail cell in a small fort with a red carpet inside, you can't miss it. You need 1 charisma point to recruit her.

e: One of the daily campaigns today just puts her right near the start.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0155 posted:

Pretty much. Absolutely worth $2.

On my 8th try as Knight finally got some lucky gear and beat the Demon Lord.

The dimension vault feels like cheating though but it helps a lot.

You can always go without it. The trophies next to the classes representing wins will even acknowledge it and Maniac mode wins

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

iastudent posted:

Gave the heroes campaign another go with a knight, got to the corrupted area, got over half my HP chopped away by a hitman wolf. :gonk:

It's real hard today! I got dead at 1000km in it last night. Dragons man.

e: :qq:

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 2, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

iastudent posted:

Something that isn't too clear to me is whether or not there's any drawbacks to trading in levels at the goddess statues for stat increases, given that your other stats remain the same.

It isn't super clear but I think the Japanese wiki (spoilers) is saying that the higher your stats are the less experience you get from enemies, though it's also saying that that shouldn't dissuade you from making use of the statues every chance you get. The mage class has to spend levels to learn spells so it's different for them.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 2, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Stacking crit perks and only using goddess statues to increase crit further gets pretty ridiculous. At 96% crit chance everything just dies. (except the secret boss)

e: also didn't realize until now that you can just line up trophies for each difficulty on the class selection screen. Which is now my mission in life.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Found Dosey, one of the recruitable companions, in a random world. I've tested and she always appears in a town at 338km in ADGROTEO. Those are capital letter O's, not zeroes. You'll need one Nayuta Fruit and one Charisma Point to ask her to join. If you keep her alive she'll eventually give you two Buddy Tablets, which are very rare and useful items.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mustach posted:

The OP makes this sound really fun, except for mention of one thing that I loathe in every RL:

Am I going to have to spend endless precious moments of my life tediously dipping arrows into potions, etc. to avoid drinking acid, etc., or does this game improve that somehow?

Potions never need to be identified, you'll never be stuck with a mysterious pink potion they might blow you up when you drink it. It's just equipment, and I don't think that there are any cursed traits or other "gotchas" that might severely punish you for using unidentified gear, though there are some that you might prefer to avoid. It just dictates how much information you have about a piece of equipment.

Unidentified they look like this:

You don't actually know what benefits they confer and you can't see their remaining durability.

Fully identified items look like this:

and you're able to see how close they are to breaking as well as any special traits they might have.

Items you encounter in the world or in shops are automatically compared against your Item Appraisal stat, which is dictated by your Intellect, and will be partially or completely identified if possible. It's all fairly painless.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

I'm going to assume the ability to equip 5 perks onto a character is something I'll unlock later? I don't see an option to buy it with Hero Points.

Seems like it comes from buying perks but I'm not sure.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

haha Gyoru got beat up by a horse.

maketakunai posted:

I'm having troubles getting Adventurer to work (especially without Vault). Treasure Radar seems not particularly useful since you can see all the dungeons/towns on the map anyways (I think?), invisible chests don't show up without treasure maps, and alcoves with chests are pretty rare.. Improved lockpicking seems like it's just replaced by axes/crit smashing things to bits? I can't even really get past the early game since Dagger and Traveler's Clothes are pretty crap. Should I just find a bow and use Dash/Jump to kite or..? It might just be that I'm getting some bad random dimensions since unless I pump Agility perks I keep running into Harpies that run three spaces or chew me up for 30x2 per turn.
True, this'll probably be better. Berserk lasts 15 rounds, so you'll lose 3 or 4 turns casting Awakening while Berserkering, and you heal every round while Berserk which is pointless while Awakening is on, plus if you don't manage to kill the Demon Lord with those 12 turns you're gonna get your Life/Stamina reduced to a third and have to spend all your time healing.

Yeah you don't want to be fighting dudes head on with that dagger at the start. Use your dash to get away from anything you have trouble with and track down some nice items and equipment. Their extra movement options do work well with a bow. I think you might even be able to jump into mountains and then fire arrows or use a spear from them?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

TyreForHyre posted:

I saw a green merchant sell one once, it was pretty expensive... I think around three or four thousand? My Charisma was like 1 at that point to be fair.
Edit:
Just as a note, really nit picky thing but this

Isn't quite right. Your ST will stop it's regen but health regen will actually just be halved.

Fixed thanks

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Top Gym Pumper posted:

haha Gyoru got beat up by a horse.

Yeah you don't want to be fighting dudes head on with that dagger at the start. Use your dash to get away from anything you have trouble with and track down some nice items and equipment. Their extra movement options do work well with a bow. I think you might even be able to jump into mountains and then fire arrows or use a spear from them?

Sorry, guess you can't actually jump onto mountains, but you can at least put single hills between you and monsters. Thinking the perk that starts you with extra money might be a good one for no vault runs, so that you can buy some equipment in the first town you get to.

e: some strength up perks are helping with the harpies.

e2: agility and intellect are the fastest stats they grow on their own so probably don't put points into them at character creation.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 2, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Best I've managed with Adventurer on Maniac 3 stars, death was very much my own fault though. Should've run, didn't, welp. The two points in Strength let you deal with early enemies up until you find or are able to buy some decent gear. Might sub in Survivor for that Vit+. Their high Agility would probably make it easier outside of Maniac mode, give you lots of free shots.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

maketakunai posted:

Speaking of the Demon Lord, does anyone know how/if Buddy Tablets work on him? Their description says they'll erase all of a target's menace and that they work on anyone? I haven't tried, though..

They sure do.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

Doubling around to something that was said earlier in the thread, apparently there's a +50% XP accessory available for completing the Queen's sidequest chain? Does anyone know how to actually trigger the quest? I thought that killing the endboss with her in the party would do it, but that didn't work.

You need to progress through everything she has to say to you or you won't get it. You should get the item if you see her special epilogue after beating the demon lord.

TOOT BOOT posted:

How much of this game is a roguelike and how much is a JRPG?

It's mostly a roguelike, I dunno. Depends on what you think the defining aspects of a JRPG are I guess. It doesn't have a big sweeping story with tons of cutscenes or anything.

e:

maketakunai posted:

Looks like the new campaigns are up:
How often do these update? OP says daily but the previous ones were up for at least a few days..

I've seen them update every day since the game came out. :shrug: They do always have a similar format. Gathering of heroes, one with easy access to a companion, and the last two have special gameplay conditions. Since launch the companion ones have cycled through Dosey, the Black Knight, the Queen, and today the King./

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 2, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Step it up Playism

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

^ yay

Weird killing the Queen in her cell, walking 20kms and then running right into her again. And again and again and again. :unsmigghh:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

btw thetrin the name of the critical up perk isn't translated in the online status display. :)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

So if recruitable characters end up with specific descriptors, such as Naughty, some of their dialog changes. :lol:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

God it's so hard to get to 2000km. I guess I shouldn't have tried to do it on Maniac but I'm a Pirate at 1300km and I'm having to use Bash twice to kill EVERYTHING and every time I get hit it's for like 100 damage. :smith:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Roberto_Silencio posted:

What are those two bars in the upper left corner of the screen, underneath where it says "Online... Dimension <dimension code here>"? Blue one and a red one, blue one always seems to be going down.

IIRC blue bar is time until the status of any other players in the world is updated, red bar is time until your own status is uploaded. Or the other way around.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Woo finally made it to the end of the world as a Knight :woop:. Having 3 party members who could deal just as much damage as me every turn made all the difference. Couldn't recruit anyone when I attempted it as a Pirate.

e: not entirely convinced that Queen Frieda's Letter does anything.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 5, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Defeated Demon Lord again on starter and got 3 points out of it. I really hope the higher difficulties really scale the points or I have to hold back on spending my extra points from something that might be frivolous.

Castrate is a terrible, horrible dimension. Enemies combo up to 4 times and destroy your gear. I lost 5 shields getting to the boss.

They do. Last time I beat the Demon Lord on Normal I got 210 hero points, though I was at 900 something km which is further than you'd typically need to go.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Max Peck posted:

Is there a way to intentionally attack (just a normal melee attack) a target you'd normally talk to? Sara and I had a lovely conversation, but we've nothing more to say to each other for the moment.

I never could find a way. Throwing things at them to make them aggro seems to work.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Couldn't have gotten my first secret boss win in a better dimension.

e: don't suppose anyone has found a world with King Victor in it. Wanna get his two endings.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 6, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Emong posted:

So how would a bard go about finding party members that aren't your pet or that one soldier at the start?

One of the daily quests always puts a party member right at the start. Otherwise you just start walking and hope you run into one. The Queen is very common, I feel like I meet her multiple times per run. The Black Knight requires a special item to recruit Buddy Tablet.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Anyone found a world with quick and easy access to the Dark Brotherhood? Need some repair scrolls.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Alectai posted:

Okay, got to the End of the World

I've got the bow obviously, but I apparently need a Holy Sword now? Can it be any weapon like that? And do I just Throw it into the Darkness to reveal the big-rear end dragon at any time?

Or will the Neith's bow work?

Any holy weapon will do. I tried a holy shield and it didn't work.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

victrix posted:

He just says 'my place is here' and ignores me

Talk to him with higher charisma

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

victrix posted:

You also get a key when it comes out on Steam anyway, so its well worth grabbing now

Yeah, basically. Playism delivered on keys for La Mulana, they're good for it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

victrix posted:

Also got the Queen as my companion, but completing the game didn't give me any special ending? Perhaps because I didn't finish her personal dialogue completely or something.

Yeah you have to complete their conversation lines to get the companion endings.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

thetrin posted:

OWH+ has ballooned in size since work started. It's going to be a separate release.

By the way, I have 100 Playism coupon codes I want to give out to SA. Each coupon is good for a free copy of OWH, and you're welcome to pass the coupon off to anyone you'd like! What would be the best way to post them? Just dump them in a post?

Maybe PM a Games mod I dunno.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I've put like 40 hours into this game and I also don't understand what Scalding Coffee is talking about.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Harminoff posted:

So I'm still not able to buy this game. Is anyone willing to trade me for one of the following games on steam?

Avencast: Rise of the Mage
Blades of Time Limited Edition
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
Dwarfs!?
Zeno Clash
Stealth Bastard Deluxe
Organ Trail: Director's Cut
Frozen Synapse
McPixel
Walking Mars
Brütal Legend

What's your Steam name or email

e: actually whatever, just hit me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/nly/

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

Could you elaborate on this please? I have no idea how to recruit anyone. Moreso, does recruiting people carry on to the next run somehow?

Occasionally you'll see a message about a kindred spirit somewhere ahead of you. Find them and you'll be able to ask them to join you if you have a sufficient number of charisma points. They don't carry forward if you die.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

If a party member appears at a certain point in a world they will always appear there, with one exception. One of the daily campaign worlds will always put a recruitable character near the start. If you replay that world after the daily events have cycled the character won't show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Weird I've been playing in the world that's "a special campaign" but I've never seen the recruitable character outside of the usual 4 charisma knight.

Honestly I've played three characters to 1000km+ and I've yet to ever see a recruitable character.

Been playing on grueling if that matters.

Uh which campaign is it? In the "this campaign had a recruitable character!" dailies they're always there until the campaigns roll over for the next day.

Feel like I had more luck finding them in random worlds anyway. Ran into the queen in like 9 out of every 10 worlds, often more than once.

• Locked thread