Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

You are a party of mercenaries - not necessarily friends, or even friendly at all, but close enough that you found a reason to travel together. You've been roaming Aravea for about 5 months, taking odd jobs (kobold slaying, bodyguarding, thief catching) and trying to make a name for yourselves. You're not heroes, though...not yet, anyway, However, you have been recognized by several important people as being capable and reliable, so that's a start.

On a recommendation from one of your employers, you have traveled to the kingdom of Lenua, a small country roughly in the middle of the Aravean continent. Something dark is afoot in the realm, and the queen of Lenua, Lady Celestine, is worried. The lesser lords have been complaning of a growing feeling of being tracked, then suddenly turning up missing or worse, dead. Food stores are being poisoned, sickening hundreds. In the night, mysterious chanting can be heard. But nobody's willing to help; the real heroes are off fighting dragons and liches, and normal folk are preoccupied with trying to survive on a day-to-day basis. Growing desperate, Celestine sends for you to find out just what the hell is going on before her kingdom crumbles off the face of the planet. Do you have what it takes to save Lenua, and perhaps the world?

---------------

Characters
shamelessly stolen from wolery

I'm looking for five Level 3 characters.
All races and classes are acceptable.
Themes and backgrounds are A-OK! Bad Star/Auspicious Birth are okay, but I'd urge you to take something more interesting.
You get three bonus feats to spend on some combination of Melee Training or related feats (e.g. Intelligent Blademaster, Combat Virtuoso), weapon or implement proficiencies, weapon or implement expertise, and Improved Defenses.
Use inherent bonuses.
No dragonmarks. Other setting-specific things like spellscars are fine.
Items: One magic item of lvl 3 or below and level 3 starting gold.

Character Background Information

I'm incredibly uncreative, so you guys are going to help me build this world outside the borders of Lenua. When you apply, please include the following information:
Where is your character from? What are the people like? Do your people have any cultural quirks? Are there any important landmarks?
Why did you choose to leave your old life behind and become an adventurer? Do you just want to see the world? Did someone wrong you and you're out for revenge? Do you want to be wealthy and famous? What are your goals and motivations?

Contact

Any questions? Come hang in #letsbeheroes in synirc
The game will be PbP.
Applications open until at least December 6th, could extend further if needed.

pre:
Player	            Character      Class              Role             

Wahad               Caldor         Warlock            Striker
AardvarkGrenadier   Martin         Monk               Striker
AXE COP             Cat Brigade    Ranger             Striker
Doomykins           Genevieve      Rogue              Striker
Wolery              Nyka           Monk               Striker
ProfessorCirno      Mirabelle      Elementalist       Striker

Jade Mage           Thalia         Witch              Controller
Mykkel              Arannis        Bladesinger        Controller
Ovo                 Gosu           Psion              Controller

Korlac              Genwan         Bard               Leader
Rtwo                Edouard        Warlord            Leader
LurksWithWolves     Eydis          Shaman             Leader

Really Pants        Fiznak         Battlemind         Defender
CommaToes           Brae           Fighter            Defender
Kai Tave            Bryn           Fighter            Defender
Ryuujin             Galinndan      Knight             Defender
Plutonis            Satyavati      Swordmage          Defender
RPZip               Kodache        Swordmage          Defender

Error 404           Sereth         Paladin|Sorceror   Defender/Striker
Luczak              Barton         Cleric|Invoker     Leader/Controller

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Adrian, Fey Pact Warlock/Caldor Thornweaver, Lord of Satyrs

Adrian posted:

I come from a small, unremarkable town near Bastion of Brambles, the largest entry into the Realm of the Fae as we know it, far to the east. Growing up, I was always cautioned to respect those fey creatures who would come to our world, for they were far more powerful than us and we could not resist them. We were but sheep, and they were both shepherd and wolf. But when a Fae Lord came and took my mother, I said no. I bargained for her release. Whether he saw me as potential or pathetic, I'll never know, but in the end I became his pawn - a wielder of great power, but I had to obey his wishes if he called upon me. Of course, being a Fae, I know not if he'll call upon me after the next dawn, or the next century. But in the meantime, I'll sell this power out so that I may grow stronger, and perhaps one day break free of his hold.

Caldor posted:

A lovely story, don't you think? So very human. They can't ever be content with their lot in life. Always looking for more, for greater things. So nobody really suspects me when I pose as some backwater hick to make my way to here or there. My own story is much more grandiose. For I am Thornweaver, Lord of Satyrs! All of the lesser Fae bow down to me, and I bow to no one save the Queens and their equals. Or, well - I was. But Argos Darkbow, despicable traitor, deposed me years ago and became Lord himself! It really gets my goat, the way he grinned as he stripped me of my power and commanded me into exile. But my power has not completely left me, and there are still a few who are loyal to me. So I travel with this...mercenary group, for now. They serve as a suitable hiding place, but are not nearly as good a company as my fellow satyrs. So brusque and unrefined. They hardly know how to throw a good party! Some days I just want to break my disguise and throw a revelry the likes of which the mortal world has not seen in ages. But that would, of course draw the attention of the Traitor Liege, and so I remain as human as I can. Perhaps that is the cruelest punishment of all.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Edit:
SERETH

Finished Character Sheet
Unaligned Human Arcane Mercenary (Paladin/Sorceror Hybrid)

Overheard in a Lenuan Pub posted:

"Magic's got all sorts that practice it. You got yer scholars, weedy folk glued to books talking about theories and dynamics and whatnot. Yer priests and sorcerer knights, saying their gift comes from some God sitting on a throne an' givin'em power. Magic's got all sorts a morons believing and doing crazy things. Sellin their souls n' the like.

Not me. You wanna know the real secret of magic?
It don't matter where magic comes from or any man's philosophy about it. Them's just words. Magic is just a skill, like carpentry or fightin'!"

Sereth pauses to drain the contents of his mug before he continues.

"Everything I know about magic is how to sling it an' take down the other guy right quick. I know what I'm paid to do, I know how to do it, and I'll show ya what happens ta anything gets in my way, cuz I'm a gods damned professional!"

Character Background
I'm from a small continent to the south of Aravea, known as Khairne. I was born in its biggest city, Shan. At a young age I discovered I had a better than average natural aptitude for manipulating Arcane energy. I had no interest in dusty tomes, and was expelled from the wizard's university after accidentally incinerating my combat instructor during a disagreement on Evocation techniques.

So I decided to make my coin selling my 'expertise' as arcane and physical muscle. Business was good until the damned war broke out. I escaped on the first ship I could bribe passage on, and ended up here, on Aravea.

Khairne
totally not Eberron:wink:
Before the damned war broke out, people were...people. Some good, some bad, some so rotten they had to be put down like mad dogs. Magic runs strong in my land, it's hardly uncommon for a person to know a small cantrip or have a book or two of rituals for use about the home. The ancient Sorceror-Kings, our Archons, sat in their 13 Watchtowers, keeping our borders with the planes solid and uncrossed. Shan was a capital of commerce and crime, discovery and distraction. A million people, from all races. a thing to see. The Grand Conclave of Dukes kept the peace between us all; Human, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, and so on.

The assassination of an Archduke and then usurpation of an Archon changed all that. It became Father against Son, Brother against Brother...heh, "Civil" war, nothin' civil about it...

Sereth is an Unaligned Human Arcane Mercenary (Paladin/Sorceror Hybrid)Sheet is done, and linked at the top!
He has piercing eyes, short, ragged black hair. He is dressed in dusty, but neat travelling clothes that fail to hide his fairly muscled frame, with arcane sigils tattooed and scarred into his arms and hands. He carries an ebon staff, inlaid with spiralling silver glyphs, and a plain short sword aside from his pack.

In the last year he's already gained a reputation among other sellswords as a harsh but disciplined companion, utterly professional but with the occasional 'mean streak' which only adds to his imposing presence.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 6, 2013

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

EDIT: Updated with stats and a Picture
Thalia Synda Human Witch

Diary posted:

Dear Diary, oh man that sounds weird...
[Unintelligible scribbles]
Alright, how about this... Dear Reader, months ago I set off on a quest to see the world, to see the bends over the hills and whatnot. My name is Thalia Synda, and you are reading my travel journal.

Now I know what you must be thinking... "What in the Nine Hells are you keeping a journal for? You're a witch, you don't even write down spells!" True enough, but this book's different. This is going to be a full account on the realities of adventure, sleeping in brambles, eating at taverns so greasy that if a candle fell off the chandelier the whole damned place would explode into a fiery wreck the magnitude of which had not been known since my brother took up evocation and accidentally killed his pet fox.

Anyhow, about me... I come from a small village north of here, Partra. At most there must be about a hundred of us from there. Everyone in Partra has a pet, some are gifts, some are generational, some are found. The pet dictates your rank in town. Sure, the farmer has a dog, but anyone can domesticate a dog. What's impressive is the town elder and his pet owlbear. Have you ever seen how violently insane those things are? He's been our elder for years, and he's done well by the town.

I come from modest beginnings, my mom has a raven and my dad has a thrush, my older brother had to leave home after his fox died. When I was twelve I wandered deep into the Vibrating Woods, and got terribly lost. I prayed to the spirits to guide me home, hells, I hadn't even had my first pet yet. That's where I met Gidery. A rat, white with red hairs all over, bounded out of the brush. I screamed like a little girl justifiably. I was twelve. He sniffed me, and offered me a way home. Yes, Gidery can speak, but only to me. He became my first pet, my familiar, and my teacher.

I love a good story, I tell heroic tales of rangers and their mighty beast companions. But a few months ago Gidery and I agreed it wasn't enough. Now I'll put my spirit training to the test, and then put it to paper. The world is my inkwell, just let me grab my quill.

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 3, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Synirc, added that to the OP.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fiznak, Kobold Battlemind

"FIZNAAAAAAAK!"

Standing a full four feet tall and commanding incomprehensible powers, Fiznak may be the most imposing warrior that The-Clan-With-Speckled-Backs-And-Spiny-Tails-Only-Not-Spiny-All-The-Way-Down has ever produced. Ever since his teeth were sharp enough to sink into a human calf, he has defended his people with unflinching valor, sending would-be adventurers running in tears back to their filthy softskin villages where they swear off dungeons forever and live out their miserable lives slaying rats in the local inn's basement.

Now, however, Wise Kobold Hampoozl has returned from his meditations and made a momentous proclamation. Since the dawn of time, a great existential question has vexed the kobold people: why are there adventurers? What vile in-born wickedness, what pervasive malady of the soul possesses the surface mammals to send armed vagrants into kobold dens, to fall into traps and get totally fooled by warriors playing dead, all to pillage some of the clan's old junk? Why can't the kobolds just be left to steal livestock in peace?

Wise Kobold Hampoozl has declared that the time is right to seek an answer to these questions, and that Fiznak is the kobold to do it. Never one to shrink from duty, Fiznak went forth without hesitation, traveling deep into the wild towns and cities on a kobold's greatest mission: to understand adventuring.

Luczak
Mar 1, 2011

Barton Sunforger, Dwarven Cleric/Invoker

Barton Sunforger posted:

Most dwarves belong deep in the earth. It's just our way. But sometimes, a dwarf goes too deep, and next thing you know he starts carvin' tunnels that aren't straight. Or worse, he puts in a support that doesn't hold. You've gotta deal with a dwarf like that before someone gets hurt. That's where we Sunforgers come in.

See, most know that the bottoms of the mountains belong to us dwarves - but they forget that the tops are ours too. And we use 'em, but not for what you'd expect. The only cure for the deep sickness is to have it burned out, and for that you need the Sun. A little dwarven handiwork - my family's handiwork - focuses the purifying power of the Sun, and every generation adds a new little mechanism to make it less painful more effective. You could say it's our own little tradition.

But these days it's gettin' harder to refine the process, harder to improve on the work of generations, and I've had to leave the Holds to find something new. Travellin' ain't free, though, so I've had to pick up the odd job or two along the way... and adventurin' is mighty lucrative...

Luczak fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 2, 2013

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Arannis, Eladrin Bladesinger

My name is Arannis, I'm from the eladrin realm of Tirhala. After fifty years of training, I have received the Order of Silver Thorn's blessing to leave Tirhala and travel Aravea to seek out arcane mysteries and nullify threats to Tirhala. This group of mercenaries has been a good group to travel with. The rumors out of Lenua are intriguing. Getting to the source of these problems will be a great test for me and my companions.

What is Tirhala like? On the western edge of Aravea, Tirhala is a realm of stability. Two service orders, The Order of Silver Thorns and the Order of Golden Branch are teh main agencies of the realms policies. The Golden Branch concentrates on internal policies and the feywild, and let the Thorns deal with mortal realms. Theoretically, the Order of the Golden Branch serves at the wish of the Summer Lady, but as she hasn't left the Feywild in 4 centuries, the Primate fo the Golden Branch holds the government together.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 2, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Just posting to say I edited in my character backstory above, the sheet is forthcoming, and I'll edit that in once it's done.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Genwan

quote:

Life is difficult when you're a man without a country, constantly on the run for fear of executioners axe. To be fair though, Genwan knew he had only himself to blame. Hailing from the Kingdom of Illosfar in the country of Yargis Genwan was known throughout the realm as a musician and court balladier. He'd sung for dukes and duchesses, counts and countesses, and even performed for royal ceremonies.

His songs and performances had become renowned enough to gain the attention of King Harold the Hawk, lord and ruler of Illosfar. This was to be his 5th marriage at the ripe age of 75 to a young lass barely entering her second decade of life. His other wives had all suffered mysterious deaths of a strange flu that appeared to affect no one else. The King had become desperate in his old age because none of his wives had been able to produce a proper heir for him, and he demanded Genwan's services to properly bless his wedding.

Genwan was happy to oblige for the King offered a handsome reward for his services. He stayed in the castle to entertain the nobles and practice his performance for the royal wedding, but was puzzled by the fact that no one had seen the bride. In truth he found out that the bride was under guard for the King was superstitious about the sanctity of his wedding day.

Now often times during a performance Genwan attracted the attention of a young lass, and he didn't mind sharing their company from time to time. One night in the castle while sitting in front of a fire while sipping mulled wine one of the servant girls approached him with a glint in her eye and a friendly smile. The next morning as Genwan was running from the castle with his clothes in his hands and only his lute on his back did Genwan realize that the servant girl was in fact Lady Seirra, bride to be of the King himself. Apparently she eluded her guards that night in order to find the source of the beautiful music she had been hearing all week.

From then on Genwan was a wanted man in his own kingdom and threatened with death should he ever set foot in his own country again. The king even sent out knights on a regular basis to the other realms to try and chase him down, but thus far Genwan had eluded them.

With that Genwan found himself in Lenua of Aravean, utilizing his trade for more dangerous affairs in adventuring. He had tried to stay low, but that was never his strong suit. Yet hero work brought him the same level of satisfaction as performing while having the added benefit of constantly being on the move. Now Genwan just had to make sure he remained on the move till the old King either died or lost interest. Still, he wondered from time to time whatever happened to Lady Sierra...

I was thinking that maybe as a risk of using my Signs of Influence that every time I use one of those features I risk alerting the agents of King or something. I hate to self inflict pain like that, but it makes sense.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Brae - WarforgedMountain Fighter

Pictured here with a... erm... Pixie skeleton

Adventurers have walked the pass in the Sunswept Mountains for hundreds of years. As they walk, they tell of the adventures they have had, the adventures they are currently on, and the adventures they hope to achieve someday. These well worn paths alongside the mountains have seen much, but experienced little but the footsteps of those who would go on to do great things. This is a normal occurrence, but on a certain part of a certain path, something decidedly not normal stood within the cliff face.

No one knows for sure, but there are theories. Was it the result of some magical runoff from a wizard's duel on the summit? Is this location the confluence of some magical lei lines during their millennial migration? Was it just some quirk of fate that made this happen? The theories are many, but one fact remains: One day the cliff face developed sentience. At first, it just watched the landscape as the days, seasons and years flew by. Then, as adventurers walked by, it listened. Listened to the stories and began to imagine all of the places it heard described by the passing parties. After decades of this, the cliff face was tired of just watching and listening. It wanted to experience the world. Then, as though an earthquake shook the area, the mountain shed a humanoid figure. This figure, a piece of the mountain, was made to experience the world. Named Brae, he was to experience all there is in life, have adventures and return to the mountain so the entire mountain could share in the experiences. Brae set forth to find a group, as all adventurers seemed to have, and experience the world.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Hey it was brought up in IRC: Use inherent bonuses. Adding that to the OP as well.

AardvarkGrenadier
Mar 29, 2010

Martin of Masus, Human Monk

Martin of Masus posted:

Everyone at the table was leaning in close, watching in tense anticipation as the dice fell to the table. As they settled onto the table, cheers and groans erupted from the players. Martin could only throw back his head and growl. Once again, the dice had failed to fall in his favor. He reached into his pockets to grab some coins for the next round, when he realized they were rather empty. “Heh heh… uh… oops?” It seems that, once again, he had managed to gamble his money away.

He turned to take a swig from his nearby drink, when a large hand moved into his way. He sheepishly looked up to see the big half-orc bouncer blocking his way. “Bartender says it’s time to pay up.” “Yeeeaahh, look I don’t exactly have the money right now, but give me a couple more days and I can get you everything I know plus a little extra. Monk’s honor.” The bouncer looked unimpressed, and next thing he knew, Martin was face down in the mud outside of the tavern. “Okay, guess it’s time to move on.”It was times like this that Martin wished he was back at the monastery, but he knew he had burned those bridges long ago. Still things had been better then, back at the Masus Monastery.

Masus was a city situated in a valley in the middle of the Carinian Mountian Range. Surrounded by mountains on all sides, it was the only spot of civilization in the vast mountains, making it a popular spot for travelers to rest while passing through. This made it a thriving town, filled with merchants, taverns, mercenary bands, and all manner of people. Sitting on a path some ways up the mountain was a small monastery called the Monastery of Good Fortune, but known to most people as simply the Masus Monastery.

The Masus Monastery came from a time before the city itself. Dedicated to the worship of Avandra, in the old times travelers stopped by the monastery to pray for safe travels while passing through the mountains. Over time, the city that would be called Masus started to slowly build itself in the valley under the monastery and over time, the Monastery was viewed as a quaint relic. The monks, however, continued to practice their faith, and always eagerly received those who would join them.

Martin was only a baby when he was abandoned at the monastery steps. This was not an unusual occurrences to the monks, as many children were left on the steps, and most members of the order were themselves orphans. Here Martin was raised and learned both the teachings of Avandra, as well as training in both body and mind. While he always struggled with the honing his inner spirit, he excelled in martial ability, and found that he enjoyed it as well. It took all kinds to run the monastery, and he was quickly establishing a place for himself as a martial instructor when he was fully ordained.

He would never see his ordination however. One day, there were errands that needed to be run in the city, and Martin volunteered to go take care of them. For all their training, the monks failed to teach him of how to deal with life outside the monastery. While heading around the city buying the supplied the monastery needed, he happened to walk by a tavern as a rowdy patron was being thrown out. He could hear the jovial yelling and music coming from inside, and curious he wandered in.

He quickly found himself swept up in the spirit of the place, and before he could realize what was happening, he found himself at a dice table, surrounded by gamblers, with a drink in his hand. It was fascinating to him. These people would place down money, guess how the dice would land, and could walk away with even more money! Martin had to try it out for himself. He started rolling dice with the others, though he had no skill for it, and found that the awful tasting drink he had made him feel good. Before he knew it, he had used up the remainder of the money he had been given on gambling and drink. He stumbled out of the tavern and slowly made his way back to the monastery, making up some excuse about how he had been robbed for why he did not have everything he had been sent for.

Martin returned to the tavern again and again, taking valuables from the monastery pay for his vice. The monks noticed, and when their concerns went unnoticed, they were left with no choice but to banish Martin from the monastery. Martin kept returning to the taverns though, slowly getting kicked out from each one in the city for his failure to pay his tab, until finally he was left with no choice but to leave Masus. He would take up jobs as a “body guard” to get from place to place, drinking and gambling at every tavern until he was kicked out, then moving on to the next city.

And so, Martin once again found himself caked in mud from being thrown out from yet another Tavern. Tomorrow he would look for another caravan to travel with, but as for now… “WOW is it cold tonight! Need to find a stable or something…”

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
See below for a wall of text~

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 3, 2013

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
If you were to ask Edouard L'Everett -- properly Sir Edouard Henri Silvain Varian Alexandre Granville L'everett III -- to describe himself in a word, he'd likely respond, "artist".

Or "artiste", since he's a bit pretentious like that.

He lacks the grace of a dancer, but knows all the dances at court. He lacks the inspiration of a painter, but puts a brush to canvas on occasion. He fancies himself a musician, and at this has somewhat more talent than other endeavors. To the Eladrin, swordsmanship is an art form as well. That, Edouard would admit somewhat begrudgingly, is probably where his personal talents truly lie.

Firstborn of the Everett barony, Edouard grew up in idle luxury, with the freedom to study rather than labor through his formative years. And there would he likely remain, were it not for that fateful night four years ago...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oui oui, you are reading of that magnificent rogue of the Big Top, Miss Genevieve Beauchene. As a young girl she was the flower of Tirhala's capital, the best and brightest urchin who only lifted what she needed to survive! With exquisite grace bestowed by Corellon's blessing, her hands were the lightest and her feet the fastest. She may have continued until trouble and the law found her but she was saved by the founding of Cirque De Lune!

She was enraptured by the appeal of a life of daring stunts and brilliant sleight of hands... and being paid for it! After years of training she became a star of the show, a high-flying trapeze artist, a talented acrobatic and a fearless knife juggler!

With all of this free-spirited soul-searching she stayed grounded with recreational larceny, a rash of missing items mysteriously following the set-up of Cirque De Lune's fairgrounds in a new city. Alas, one fateful night four years ago she stole away into the gardens of the L'Everett household and set about taking only a modest sum of coin from the wealthiest family in her old homeland. She was soon set upon by terrifying hounds and saved by the intervention of some... reedy... watery-eyed milksop trying to fill out a pair of grown-up boots.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 3, 2013

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
And there she was, at the dead of midnight, behind the stables, surrounded by the hounds, with... what appeared to be most of the manor's silver and no small amount of loose coin in a sack. That grace! That charm! That... okay, yes, she did have the manor's valuables in a sack, but past that! Edouard was instantly smitten, and did something that, had his father ever found out, would have found Edouard thrown out on his shapely pointed Eladrin ear in an instant.

He invited her inside for tea.

This was complicated somewhat because this mysterious young woman was currently in possession of the tea set.

Such passion! Such joie de vivre! This girl was real, was true to herself! So unlike the others at court or in the manor-house! Edouard spent hours chatting to her about her performance arts and her life on the road, gave her some coin, and asked to meet again the following night. And the night after. And the night after...

But alas! Cruel fate! Nobliesse oblige! Edouard had to cut short this blessed courtship as his father's feudal obligation was called up for a border dispute. As a knight in the service of the crown, Edouard had to leave for the borderlands. What would become of his fair lass?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Caught holding the sack(filled to the brim with fine silver) she felt obligated to accept the milquetoast's invitation to... tea? Alright, he had a strong chin when he wasn't stammering and he was dressed divinely, but this was ridiculous. Genevieve was certain that she'd simply smile and nod when the dullard spoke and find her first tumble out an open window and back onto the streets.

She had sat down inside the manor when a terrible thought hit her.

Thinking fast when the pot began to whistle, Genevieve placed the burgled set of cups on the table as the dandy stepped out of the room.

So naïve, so charmingly simple. This man swallowed everything she said hook, line and sinker. She spoke of being alone in the world and joining the circus, of overhearing the Ring Master's financial woes, of only lifting enough to barely keep her beloved mentor's books balanced. Making a show of fighting back tears that weren't there, she surprised herself by accepting an invitation to see Edouard the next night! He even let her keep some of the coin...

Edouard's fawning over her did have a certain appeal and the Cirque De Lune would be in Tirhala for a month, so Genevieve continued to see him, fighting back a growing warmth in her heart every time. She found herself unusually angry when she was turned away from the Manor by a rude servant smugly informing her that Edouard had been called away for military obligations.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
When Edouard awoke, he found himself... in his own bedroom, in his own bed, in his own clothes. He sat up t-- Ouch! Oh, goodness! Now it's all coming back. Almost as soon as the trumpeter relayed the signal to charge, an arrow came whistling over the front lines and... yes, there's the dressings and bandages. Right into Edouard's shoulder.

Merely a flesh wound, but arrows strike deep, and Edouard had come down with fever. They'd sent him home to recover from both the wounds and the resulting delirium. His father was... not outraged, that's not quite right. Certainly disappointed. The outrage only came when Edouard started asking about that "lowborn common-girl from the sideshow", as his father called her.

Once recovered from his injuries, Edouard found himself idle once more -- dismissed from his military post, and having brought shame to his family for his failure, he fell into depression and ennui. He stopped painting and playing and dancing. If... if only he could see fair Genevieve again...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Genevieve could hardly believe it. Her adorable meal ticket for life had gone off to get himself killed playing at war. Sure, he was tutored in all the finest battlefield theory and could recite historic engagements for hours on end, but only one engagement mattered to her now! She broke away from Cirque De Lune and set off to the borderlands to find him.

Adding insult to news of Edouard's injury was that it took her weeks to even hear of it! None of the men at arms had any news of the budding warlord save for his sudden removal from battle following being hit by an arrow! As she traveled the roads so close to the warfare she felt a strange mix of emotions that had nothing to do with thrills. She just wanted to find Edouard safe and to feel safe with him..

Her search eventually found direction and she learned the Edouard's family had pulled strings to have him sent home! Not a letter or thought spared for her! Working up a full head of outrage she returned to him the only way she knew how: picked locks, drugged dogs and confronting him in a vivid fury! Sure, any girl would be attracted to a guy with a big inheritance, but to see Edouard as an unshaven red-eyed mess forced her to act with unflinching resolve!

“Let's leave, Edouard! Just go, leave ziz all behind! We'll have each otzher and nozing else!”

Genevieve Beauchene, Eladrin Rogue

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 18, 2013

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
...leave? Leave his manor, his home? To turn his back on his family and his responsibilities to the Barony, to quite probably lose his inheritance and take up arms in muck-crusted dungeons?

...hmm...

Well... He certainly wouldn't get any chance to regain his lost honor at home. Perhaps he could prove himself in some knight-errant's task to prove himself worthy of his name and his birthright. And... what can he say? Genevieve inspired him, to sing, to paint, and to make war.

And so he packed his things and left home. His first task, of course, is to prove to himself he's capable of leadership...

quote:

Sir Edouard Henri Silvain Varian Alexandre Granville L'everett III
Good Eladrin Warlord 3

-----

HP: 33
Surges/day: 7
Surge value: 8

AC/F/R/W: 17/16/16/17
+5 saves vs. Charm

-----

STR 16 (+3)
DEX 10 (+0)
CON 11 (+0)
INT 16 (+3)
WIS 10 (+0)
CHA 16 (+3)

-----

Initiative: +7
Action Points:
Speed: 6
Passive Perception/Insight: 11/11
Languages: Common, Elven

---

Racial Abilities:
- Fey Origin
- Trance
- Fey Step

Class Features:
- Combat Leader (+2 Initiative all allies)
- Commanding Presence - Resourceful (ally spends action point: if an attack,
+4 to damage. If it hits no target, +4 temporary HP instead)
- Inspiring Word

---

Bonus feat: Weapon Expertise: +1 to hit with heavy blades
Bonus feat: Eladrin Soldier: +2 damage with longswords and spears
Bonus feat: Improved Initiative
Feat level 1: Lend Might: +1 to hit on attacks I grant
Feat level 2: Lend Strength: +2 damage on attacks I grant

---

Skills:
Arcana +3
Athletics +9
Diplomacy +9
Heal +6
History +11
Intimidate +9

---

At-Wills: Commander's Strike, Furious Smash
Encounters: Inspiring Word (2x), Hammer and Anvil, Adapative Strategem,
Inspire Resilience
Dailies: Lead the Attack

---

Equipment:

Everlasting Provisions (level 4)
+1 Vicious Longsword (level 2)
+1 Hide Armor
Bracers of Mighty Striking
Amulet of Protection

Light shield
Adventurer's Kit
A few outfits of fine clothing
Crossbow (load minor, range 15/30)
Various tools no self-respecting knight-errant would be without, such as a
brass tea service or a shaving kit.
Potion of Healing x2
220 gp

----------

Power Notes:

Adaptive Strategem
Minor, close burst 10, one ally in burst.
UEOMNT, target gains +3 to damage rolls and +3 to saving throws.

Commander's Strike
Ally of choice makes a melee basic attack against a target. +1 to hit, +5 to
damage.

Fey Step:
Move action. Teleport up to 5 squares.

Furious Smash:
Str vs. Fort
3 damage. Ally adjacent to either self or target gets +3 to hit and
damage on next attack.

Hammer and Anvil
Str vs. Ref
1W+Str damage. One ally adjacent to the target makes a melee basic attack,
+1 to hit, +5 to damage.

Inspire Resilience
Str vs. AC
2W+Str damage. Each ally adjacent gets either +3 to damage UEOMNT or +3
temporary HP, their choice.

Inspiring Word
Minor action, close burst 5, target one ally in burst
Target spends a healing surge +1d6 HP.

Lead the Attack
Str vs. AC
3W+Str damage. Until end of encounter, self and each ally within 5 squares
gets 4 on attack rolls.
Miss: Until end of encounter, self and each ally within 5 squares +1 on
attack rolls.

------

Attack Workspace:
Longsword to hit: +9
Longsword damage: 1d8+8
+1d12 on crit

Crossbow to hit: +3
Crossbow damage: 1d8

Rtwo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 3, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Bryn of Tanna

quote:

"The Tannith Confederation resides in the northern reaches of the Aravean continent, a collection of independent clans which, over time, have united in the face of ever-present dangers, chief among them the savage and demonic gnollish hordes who lay claim to the territory surrounding the nearby Ashcap Mountains. The Tannith are a hardy people, steadfast and resolute, well suited to their windswept, rocky lands they call home, and are known for the quality of their wool as well as the potent spirits they distill..."

Antelius the Learned, A Traveler's Guide to Aravea

"Yeah yeah, I'm from Tanna, what gave it away? My striking good looks? Whazzat? You wanna know about ME? Hell yeah you do, I'm awesome. Only thing is, I don't share my life story 'less someone's buyin' the next round.

That's more like it.

Aight, so you ever hear of General Maergwyn? Yeah? Well she's my mom, so you better watch what you say about her or I'll loving gut you. Hah! I'm just messin' with you man, relax. But no seriously, I'll kill you.

Anyway, so like I was sayin' she's my mom and she's just as badass as all the stories say. Leads the combined armies of the Tannith Confederation, personally cut down Garshakk the Despoiler, all o' that good stuff. 'Course, I'm pretty badass too. You wanna know why I'm here and not back home? See, I like to fight, and I'm good at it...seriously, I'll gently caress you up, just try me...but ARMY fighting? Sucks dick. It's all 'formations' and 'waiting' and 'stop desecrating the enemy corpses,' boring poo poo like that. Plus no commander wants to have to tell the legendary General in charge 'Hey guess what, your daughter's dead, my bad,' which means I got to spend most of my time assigned to the reserves or some defensive outpost in the middle of sheepfuck-nowhere.

So I left. Yeah that's right, I left...just like that. Got fed up one day and was like 'gently caress it, I'm out.' She sent a few trackers after me at first but I managed to persuade'em to leave me alone. Nah, I didn't kill'em...maybe kicked'em around a bit. That guy looks better with an eyepatch anyway. Since then I've just been doin' my own thing, y'know? Wandering, fighting, drinking...hey speaking of which, looks like my mug's empty. Gonna need a refill if you wanna keep story hour goin'..."

Portrait commissioned by General Maergwyn of Tanna for her daughter's 20th birthday. Note the artistic license taken in depicting the subject with a ceremonial clan greatsword, as the General's daughter is known to favor a shield and waraxe in battle.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Nyka, Tiefling Monk

"Be not simply good, be good for something."

A traveling monk once said that to me. Well, not to me specifically. He was speaking to a whole crowd and probably didn't even see me, but still, I thought it was a nice line and a breath of fresh air. Usually, his kind liked to bang on about the nature of good and evil, what sort of people fell into which category, and whether it was possible to change one's nature. Maybe that kind of thing is super interesting if you get to lay around eating grapes all day, but as a girl walking around with literal horns and a tail, it gets old fast. Like I don't have enough poo poo to deal with in my own life without everyone around me treating me like a wild animal and then acting all smug about having dealt with an "evil" creature. I get it, okay? I'm a tiefling. Yes that does mean "devil", and yes we come with baggage we have to deal with. I've had dreams ever since I was little of all the wonderful things I could have in Hell if I become Queen Evil of Evilsburg and set everything on fire. They're very real and sometimes kinda tempting. But that's my problem. Unless I'm actually killing someone or taking people's stuff, it's not anyone else's problem, and until that happens they really shouldn't judge.

So yeah. "Be not simply good, be good for something." I liked that. I mean, why should it really matter whether you can call someone inherently good or evil? What matters is what they're doing. It was good enough advice to follow. After the monk was done his speech, I went and made myself good for something. I'd been training myself to fight using the hellfire in my blood; it was about time to stop worrying if I was skilled enough and just put it to use. I joined a mercenary company later that day. I was eager to go adventure somewhere away from the city - hopefully somewhere with less self-righteous pains in the rear end.

Turns out the rest of the world is pretty cool. They're not as "enlightened", which means we don't have to sit around thinking about whether or not an assassin had noble intentions before I break his neck and drag him in for the bounty. You do good things, people like you. You do bad things, we get paid to kick your rear end. Fun and simple. I like it.

----

I come from Miletia, a "bastion of knowledge and higher thought" where everyone talks too drat much and thinks they know everything. It's not all that bad, really - I could show you a hell of a time in some of the taverns down by the coast - but unless you like being pissed off, you need to learn to ignore a lot of people. The arcane universities are our actual claim to fame, but you're talking to the wrong person if you want to know what they're like.

Wol fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 3, 2013

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Ketta, Tregul, Bygul and Skogkatt, Hengayokai Beastmaster Ranger Cursed Seekers of Immortality

On the fringes of the world is the place named Midjungard. This is the place where time's nature is strange and non-linear and many gods still walk the earth. For a hundred score years the gods had called Midjungard home, and they were peaceful and content in isolation, save for the quarrelsome war gods, who often slew each other. For they had used to stride the world freely, going where they pleased, and there was room for all the gods to create what they would. But then Dwarves sprung from the earth, and Men fell from the sky, and Elves grew from the trees, and Goblins split from the dung of the World Cow, and many more mortal races filled Aravea.

At first the people lived with each other, and they were content, and the gods received worship, and they were content, and both kinds of being walked alongside each other in peace. But soon more races appeared, and more, until there was barely room for them all, and the world was crowded. So the gods chose one, who was named Ormakt, to be their leader, and to speak to the mortal races. First Ormakt spoke to the Dwarves to return to the earth, but they refused, and said "We were the first upon this earth, and have created many wonders, should not have to end ourselves for these short-lived others. Go to the Men, for they came after us, and tell them to return to the sky." So Ormakt went to the Men, and spoke to them to return to the sky, but they refused, and said "We were the second upon this earth, and we are more diverse than any other, and should not have to return for these others. Go speak to the Elves, and tell them to return to the trees." So Ormakt went to the Elves, and spoke to them to return to the trees, but they refused, and said "We were the third upon this earth, and we know more secrets of magic than any other, and should not have to return for these others. Go speak to the Goblins, and tell them to return to dung."

So Ormakt spoke to every race, from the lordly Deva to the lowly Kobold, but each refused, and told Ormakt to ask elsewhere, until finally he had no more to ask. Defeated, he returned to the gods, and spoke thus: "I have asked every type of being in the world to leave, but they will not. The only people I have not asked to leave are we gods, and since we are the only to have not refused, we will have to leave." Although not every god was happy, they saw the logic of his claims, so they took their belongings and left the wide world to the mortal races, and went to Midjungard. Most of the mortal races were happy, for now they had more space, but it was brief for the gods had not taken up much room. So the world fell into war.

But there were some who regretted the gods' departure. Many clans had walked with the gods, and become part of their tribes, but as they were mortal they were not taken with Ormakt as he left. As they world dissolved into conflict these clans, which were called the Orlanthdar, decided to follow the gods and escape the chaos. So they took their belongings, and trekked one thousand score miles across the earth. The journey was long and hard, and many died as they walked, until finally there was only one member left, whose name was Ketta, with her horse Tregul, and her raven Bygul, and her dog Skogkatt. When she came to Midjungard she met Sevalda, the wife of Ormakt, in her chariot pulled by four cats. Sevalda was not pleased to see Ketta, for the gods were content on their own, and did not want Midjungard filled with mortals again. So Sevalda cursed Ketta and all her animals, turning them into cats that could not die, intending to put them into service pulling her chariot. But Ketta wept at the failure of her quest, and Sevalda took pity upon her, and released her, and made her human again, although she could always become a cat again when she needed to.

Then Ormakt came, and told her "You can never enter Midjungard as long as you are mortal, for your kind were selfish and drove us out, and we do not want you in our last sanctuary. If you can become immortal, like us, you may enter Midjungard and fulfil your quest." So he sent her away, and showed her the shortcuts to the world, so she did not have to walk one thousand score miles back. Her clan had been gone for a very long time, and there were many less beings in the world, for many had been slain in the war, and the ways were strange, for her customs had been forgotten. So she took up her bow, and strode out into the world, to find other companions to teach her the new ways, and to seek out immortality. She would find her place amongst the gods soon enough.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

High Apprentice Eydis, Deva Shaman Reincarnated Necromancer

Excerpts from A Brief History of Almora posted:

Almora was not always the blasted wasteland it is today. It was once a lush and verdant land, known mainly for the many naturally forming arcane confluences that dotted it's landscape. However, it was the abnormally high ley line density that led the first settlers to this land in the year 170 BBX...
---
Unfortunately, the fragile peace between the city-states came to an end in the year 513. Abbot Alentholous, uncle of High Prophet Ciceron, was found dead in his chambers. All signs pointed to Necromancer-Queen Allania being the culprit. The Holy Cancellarius declared war the next day. The Frozen Caliphate came to the necromancer's aid, finally repaying their decades old debt. And as more and more city-states took the opportunity to fight old enemies once again, one thing became obvious: the War of the Magi was alive once more.
---
Allania was at the end of her rope, and she knew it. The forces of the Eldritch Covenant were barking at her door, and she knew there was no force on this world or the next that could stop them from ending her unlife once and for all. Nothing but the one last trick she had up her sleeve. You see, she discovered a way to reach into the arcane confluence beneath the Grim Citadel and unravel it. Naturally, this would unleash a phenomenal amount of arcane energy. Anything within a mile of the Grim Citadel? Gone. Anything near the ley lines running through her lands? Gone. Any confluences near there would begin unraveling just from the amount of energy being poured into them. Naturally this was a weapon of last resort. But Allania thought her spirit might be able to survive the blast, and... Well, better to rule in Hell than die in Heaven, as they say.
---
People came back to Almora eventually. The confluences were gone, but the soil itself hummed with arcane power. Wild power, yes, but untapped power all the same. For the researchers, there were whole new categories of arcane anomaly to discover. For the willworkers, the power they craved was all around them. Towns began to form around the covenants that were built in the Almoran wilds. And so Almora lived again.

From the journal of Magister Accellus Longfang, Scholar of the Realms Beyond posted:

The Traitor's Moon has passed through the Atronach Ascendant. Undead bow at the morning sun. Three ravens perch above the child's crib. The signs are clear. This child is Allania reborn. I will reach an agreement with her parents. I have waited too long for this to let it pass me by now.
---
The deal is done. For her first ten years, Eydis will stay in her parents' care. For the next ten, I shall teach her the spiritualist's art. I would have preferred an earlier start to her training, but this will do. Ten years will be plenty of time to mold her. After all, once she has retaken her throne as the omens foretell, she will need much aid. Aid I will be there to aid her, just as I always have been. To help her find the proper path. And if my advice seems too self-serving, if she hears rumors of treason, why would she ever consider that her dear old master could be the one trying to steal her crown?

From the journal of Magister Accel___ High Apprentice Eydis posted:

Well, at least I know why Master Longfang kept his journal under lock and key. I admit, I wanted to know his secrets, but I didn't expect this. I didn't expect my whole apprenticeship to be one long play for power. Honestly, I don't know if I should feel betrayed or insulted. Either way, I can't stay here knowing what I know now. I have my things packed, I've scrounged up enough supplies to get to the next town over, and I have this lovely journal to call my own. I'm sure old Master Longfang will miss it no more than he misses me.

Dawn is approaching. I must go now, before he awakens.

[/quote]

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 6, 2013

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
Gosu, Shardmind Psion

I do not remember the exact moment I woke up, I just remember the crushing darkness. Trapped in place, I could feel every grain of sand pressing against me, and grew to know each one. All I can remember of the early years is that I had a purpose, there was a reason for my being. I cannot remember now though. Days and days, months and months, decades and decades; I remained in place. After a few hundred years I could feel something change. In the darkness above great vibrations came down, shaking the world around me. For days and days it went on, when suddenly, the sand around me loosened. For the first time in centuries I could move! A glorious feeling, even if it was only moving by inches. Slowly I began to worm my hands and feet outwards, searching for a way to escape. After a few more days my hand came to the surface, and later that day I crawled out of my prison.

Of course, I was still underground. Dark caves stretched out in all directions, and I began to wander. For more centuries I wandered in the looping tunnels and caves of this new place. For the first time I found new life forms; not many were friendly. I found that I was fairly adept at moving objects about with my mind; a skill that would have been useful while I was buried. Throwing annoying creatures that tried to eat me (to no avail) was certainly useful, as well as a bit fun. They were oddly different things; soft and fast, they often stayed still for hours at a time and seemed to need to ingest other things such as themselves. I found a strange substance eventually in the caves. See through, as well as non-substantial and cold. Seeking new places, I stepped into the liquid and began to walk. After a few days a bright light shone ahead, and I clambered out of the liquid and into the open air for the first time in 700 years. The nomads camping by the oasis were horrified to say the least.

They fled from me at first, but I was eventually able to calm them down and show I meant no harm. There more like me than the cave creatures; bipedal and with tanned outer surfaces (though not rock as my own). Their leader called me a 'Gosu', some kind of living soul of this desert. That did not quite sound right to me, but they certainly knew more of this place than I. I traveled with them for a few years, and learned of this place. The Great Desert of Koru it was called, home to small communities of miners that pulled great diamonds out of the cave system below (where I had been trapped it would seem). The nomads I lived with trekked from town to town, selling water from the oasis's when the dry season came and the towns wells ran dry. My telekinetic skills came in handy to ward off scavengers and various beasts of the sands. We eventually went to the great port of H'amar to buy new wagons and camels; a more glorious sight I have yet to see.

It sits on a massive body of salt water like nothing I had ever seen. Great sailing ships from across the sea came into port to trade exotic wares of all sorts. Races of people I had never seen before walked through the streets, bartered in the markets, and drank in the taverns. From there ships were loaded with diamonds for people across the sea, and huge caravans trekked out into the desert to sell wares to the towns within, or to travel through it to the lands beyond. In the port I heard stories from the sailors of the lands they came from. Great places with lush forests, mountains, and other astonishing sounding things. My time travelling in the desert was over. I was to cross the great sea and explore these new places. The nomads were sad to see me go, but I was not their soul of the desert. I was something else. Across the sea I might find what I really am, or see what it has to show.

TL;DR. Shardmind that spent so long buried in the sand he forgot about the living gate and what he even is.

Ovo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 4, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Mirabelle de Pasade

"Everything burns. It's the universal problem solver!"

Mirabelle was like any other noble born from Lafarea: rich, spoiled beyond compare, given the best education privilege can buy, and taught to conquer any student who stood in her way. Her inborn magical talent only made things easier, and of course it would have been rude to ask, so everyone tried to send out spies instead to test her lineage (they all remember the last sorcerer who ended up being a bastard). But her talent all checked out; none of the spies could find anything, none of the rumors held. Mirabelle was set to be a force to be reckoned with in Lafarea. Or would be, were it not for the fact that she found her studies too tiresome to even bother with, and instead preferred more practical applications of her talent. Fire, of course, being her specialty. Oh, she enjoyed the spite and the fights, and she loved proving her superiority, but she lacked...subtlety. Her family was aghast; the chance for scandal was immense. And so, as so many other sons and daughters before her, Mirabelle was sent to "make a name for herself in the world." If she becomes rich and famous, then she helps the family name after all. If she is as foolish as she seemed in her schooling, then she dies anonymously and the family isn't hurt by her antics.

And that is what everyone knows.

And this is what almost nobody knows.

All nobles try to give their children a helping hand beyond what is allowed by law. So long as evidence is not left lying about, it is accepted; it is considered highly uncourteous to make accusations of another family, after all. Blind accusations, indeed, can ruin the one making them faster then the one they're pointing at. And so most students begin their education with a card up their sleeve to begin with; magical enchantments and items that may otherwise not be permitted on the light end, all the way to servants masquerading as other students set to sabotage rivals on the other. But Mirabelle's father had a different set of resources - names. Or rather, Names. A member of one (of many) secret societies, the de Pasade family kept and traded in True Names, making small bargins and slowly increasing their power over the more infernal elements of the world. And so, when Mirabelle was 13 and ready to begin her education in one of the grandest colleges in Lafarea, her father used the most potent True Name they had to call in a favor.

Had he known just how strong the name was, he might have hesitated.

Deals were made. Mirabelle's future was set out before her. A lifetime of service and excellence to state and family with the infernal power granted - and a second lifetime of servitude after her death. All was set for Mirabelle to crush other families and bring new and greater glories to her house - until, of course, it became readily apparent she did not care at all for petty rivalries and servitude. Her family blames the bargin. It remains to be seen if the whispers she hears in the back of her ear will have more luck taming her then her blood family did.

Mirabelle is arrogant, headstrong, occasionally bloodthirsty, charismatic, and arrogant, the way only the young and Lafarean can be. Being one of the youngest to graduate from her college has not helped any of that. She is more then happy to talk at length of the superiority of Lafarean culture, a subject most have learned to never ask her about. She's well equipped in all manner of diplomatic arts, and managed to retain some of her lessons on magic and history. And she's very, very good at destroying things.

~*~

Situated along the coast, bordering the Eladrin Principalities, lies the ancient kingdom of Lafarea. Eternal friends enemies rivals with the elvish cousins, Lafarea is old enough not to actually hold dates to how old they are; their calendars simply start with the reign of the first king of Lafarea, and as far as they're concerned, that's when history began. Starting as a heavily mercantile country, Lafarea become near obscenely wealthy by serving as the nexus of all trade between the Eladrin and the other nearby human countries. This spurred the rise of merchant princes and aristocracy, who in turn aimed at beating those nasty Eladrin at their own game. Lafarea quickly became a center for art and education, and remains known as one of the - if not the - best place to learn magic in the world. The country and it's people are known for their overwhelming arrogance pride, though it's hard not to see why; quite a bit of their most southern land is former Eladrin territory, taken in various wars, economic coups, or diplomatic agreements. For so long as the kingdom has stood, it has been officially ruled by the Divine Monarch, Chosen of the Sun, the Silver Crown, by the grace of the gods, King of Lafarea. How effective the king is at wrangling the noble families tends to differ between monarchs - some spur their natural competitiveness, leading them to neuter themselves, and some quickly become a puppet, changing hands as different houses rise and fall. The aristocracy themselves have never forgotten their mercantile roots and are now a mix of arcane cabals, wealthy entrepreneurs, and cold blooded diplomats. Lafarea largely uses the disunity between Eladrin states to their advantage, though recently one Eladrin duke has begun uniting the various feudal states together, leading to some worry that their rivals might finally begin pushing back.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 6, 2013

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Galinndan

The sound of hooves, a neighing horse, a knock at the door. The door opens and a man looks out. A silhouette of a man atop a horse, only atop the man's shoulders lies no head. The headless man flings the contents of the bucket at the surprised man. A rain of blood and by the time the startled man clears his eyes the headless figure is gone.

Galinndan. The Headless Horseman, or rather one of the headless horsemen. A Dullahan. Some time long ago Galinndan lost his head, and presumably his life. Still he seemed to live, and somehow breathe, and for a long time he carried his head around in the crook of his arm. For centuries he has followed his instincts. He has ridden the countryside, carrying his head in the crook of his arm and a bucket of blood strapped to his steed. He would then get a sense about certain houses, then he would ride by and knock upon the door of those destined to die. Should they answer the door he would fling the bloody contents of the bucket upon them.

Understandably this might be a rather boring occupation. Repetitive and without seemingly any rime or reason. He simply followed his instincts. And so Galinndan began to grow restless and bored. He tried to go against his instinct and experience something else. But things did not go well. In his first attempt at trying something else he got distracted and lost his head. He quickly found that it was stolen, but he had no idea where it had gotten to. He has vague feelings from time to time, perhaps thoughts or memories coming from his head, but nothing concrete. It has been a few months since then, and he is already beginning to worry that he will forget his own face.

In the months since he lost his head he has traveled around and ended up working as an adventurer for hire while he searches for his head. He is not a hero, at least not yet and can one such as he ever be a hero? But in his travels he has worked alongside others who may become heroes. And recently they were called to the small kingdom of Lenua by its queen the Lady Celestine.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lady Satyavati Wodeyar, (Former) Princess of the Nadibhumi, Unaligned Elf Swordmage.

Kingdoms of the East, by Orgos Scribebeard posted:

Of all the Eastern Kingdoms, few were as prosperous as the Nadibhumi. A former satrapy from the ancient Eladrin Empire, the elves from those humid and damp jungles quickly reached independence over three thousand years ago and set up their own Kingdom on the Four-River Delta. They quickly became rich with the tariffs and commercial taxes they charged from the other countries in the continent, and built cities of ivory and marble on the riverbeds.

Yet the House of Wodeyar was more concern with the lavish and culture that their centuries of fortune brought them than with increasing their territory. While their well-trained troops fought off every one of the Eladrin principalities that desired to add the "Jewel of the East" into their lands, Nadibhumi itself never took an inch of its neighbours, perhaps due to the good natured ways of their leaders or perhaps because of sheer arrogance, the Elves remained on the same ancient borders that were set for millenia.

This changed, however, with the recent rise of the Prince Varna of Andaman, a military genius with an expansionist policy far more aggressive than any other Eladrin Principalities. He quickly started a campaign of conquest, taking over the other principalities by force and claiming to restore the glory of the ancient empire of their race. And thus, the Kingdom of Nadibhumi was one of the highest-profile targets that Varna had in mind.

The conquest of the "Jewel of the East" took four years. Despite the sheer strength and numbers of the Andaman forces, the Nadibhumi forces managed to resist due to their knowledge of the land and defensive tactics cultivated for years, yet the blockade to the river trade set by their enemies ended up collapsing the country's economy. Soon the House of Wodeyar ran out of money to pay their troops, and capitulated, with most of the royal family being captured and imprisoned by the Eladrin conquerers.

"How did I end up here? Funny story, that one. I was trained in spellsword arts by the tutors of my kingdom since I was young, and even fought alongside the troops when the Eladrin broke into our palace. Unfortunately, despite being made of ivory and silver, my ancestors apparently didn't bothered adding defensive measures to it, and so I had to run away with a few survivors while they captured my parents.

Unlike my sisters I was not weak and pampered. Always liked the sword more than the brush, yet my parents saw it as a childish way to rebel. Still, at least I can say I took out some of the bastards down, while the rest of my family just surrendered. They are now living in a gilded cage, the Eladrin bastards letting them live in a smaller palace in exchange with their collaboration.

But not me. I escaped the place alongside a few loyal troops... Too few to actually build a resistance movement. I tried going to Lafarea, as while they and us never saw each other in the eye, they would care if Varna came for them. That is what I thought, at least. Was instead offered an even worse option, to have my country become a Lafarean vassal in exchange with their help with independence, and I wasn't having any of that.

After an year, I ran out of options, even after going to the western Eladrin principalities like Tirhala, foolishly hoping that those Fae idiots could band together against the incoming yoke of Prince Varna and now... I'm like this, a common mercenary. But Elves live long, and as long as an opportunity appears... I'll do whatever it takes to free my country."

pre:
Satyavati   						 
HP: 48/48 (THP: )         AC:   20    Passive Insight: 13
Surges: 11/11 (V: 12)     For:  15    Passive Perception: 15
Initiative: +2   	  Ref:  15    Action Points: 1
Speed: 7   	          Will: 16    Vision: Low-Light

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Frigid Blade         [ ] Noble Presence                [ ] Frost Backlash
Booming Blade        [ ] Elven Accuracy       
Aegis of Shielding   [ ] Sword of Sigils     
                     [ ] Transposing Lunge                       
                     [ ] Channeling Lunge                
                     [ ] Second Wind

Ranged Basic Attack (Foemaker Broadsword +1): 1d20+8 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage.

Item Powers
Foemaker Broadsword: (Daily) Each Enemy within 5 Squares that you can see is marked 
until the end of your next turn.

Armor of Aegis Expansion (Encounter, Interrupt) Trigger: A creature that you have 
marked with Aegis of Shielding targets you and at least one of your allies with an attack.

Effect: The damage from the triggering attack is reduced by 5+ the armor's enhancement bonus.

Conditionals/Resists:

Swordmage Warding +1 to AC if using a sword, +3 if one-handed.

+2 to saving throws whenever no allies are within 5 of you.

+2 to attack rolls against enemies marked by Aegis of Shielding.

Non-Elf Allies within 5 gain a +1 to perception.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 13, 2013

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Wow, people pile in to DnD games fast. I'm not sure I want to throw another ring in the hat, but I'll think about something. I'm pretty new to the game anyway.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Kodache Akao

quote:

Behold wondrous Twirovia, the Pearl of the Crescent Sea. And like any other pearl, you can find it encased in a protective shell deep underwater. Waterships dock high above the city, trading with the world-famous merchants for precious shellglass and clean-burning murderwhale oil. The city’s prosperity is secured by its location, nestled between the feuding cities around the outskirts of the Crescent Sea, and by the proceeds of the city’s defense. For while the shellclaws and murderwhales circle the depths, the area around Twirovia is kept secure. The sea’s bounty shall never be drained.

…Or, at least, that’s what they used to say. Twirovia’s economy was founded on the hunting of monsters, starting as simple self-defense and then becoming a thriving industry of its own. No Twirovian could consider themselves a proper citizen of the depths without at least one monster head mounted on the wall, usually from a ceremonial hunt performed during adolescence. The stuffed bodies of monsters were used as symbols of prestige, as traditional wedding gifts, and even as a pseudo-currency for a short time. The older generation always grumbled that the monsters had become calmer, smaller and far fewer in number with each subsequent generation, but these calls for nostalgia were routinely ignored. It wasn’t until Highlord Udso Akao killed the last remaining breeding pair of stone-flayer medusas that the citizens realized what a terrible mistake they had made.

The monsters of the depths weren’t important just for ceremonial and cultural reasons. The economy of Twirovia was, in large part, founded on their byproducts. Without shellclaws to slay, there could be no works of shellglass art to astound the world. Without the murderwhales, the vast refineries would go quiet. And without the stone-flayer medusas, the thriving statuary industry would have no more raw material to work with. Twirovia discovered the importance of conservation, and for many species, they discovered it too late. Some monsters, like the stone-flayer medusas and the shellclaws, had been hunted past the point of no return. Others, like the murderwhales, have been slowly nursed back to a healthy population. Many more hang somewhere in between. And this poses a particular problem for the inhabitants of the city.

Twirovia is, even now, a culture devoted to the concept of monster slaying. Even with the refineries silent, and the artisans out of work, the concept of the work resonates strongly with the people, a call back to a happier more productive time for the city. And with no monsters nearby to slay, at least not ones that are being ever-so-carefully shepherded back to a reasonable population, there is nowhere for young Twirovians to prove their worth. Nowhere local, at least. And thus was born the concept of the Twirovian Monster Safari.

Kodache Akao left on her safari some time ago. She’s the only daughter of the former Highlord, Udso Akao, and this is something of a problem. Udso resigned from office in disgrace after the demise of the stone-flayers was made public. The newly unemployed used his actions as a rallying cry, picketing outside their house for months and years afterwards. The name “Akao” became a common verb, meaning to make an incredibly dumb mistake. So it hasn’t been much fun for Kodache at home, to say the least.

Kodache isn’t out adventuring just for personal profit, taking the normally brief two weeks of the Monster Safari into a multi-month expedition into the world at large. She wants to do something positive for the world and for her city, to help preserve and conserve the monster hunting experience for future generations. New species, with proper care and examination, can be introduced into the Crescent Sea to fill the niche of those which have gone extinct. The world needs to be protected from monsters, but monsters also need to be protected from the world. It’s not an easy balance to make, but if anyone can do it, it’ll be Kodache.

-------

Mechanics note – Speargun is used to activate the Aegis, and Transposing Lunge is a shot fired into the creature and then pulling it next to Kodache.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 6, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

I've more or less got picks done, but I'm going to wait until later this evening, say 9 PM EST, to see if NovaLion or anyone else wants to sumbit anything. That's 9 hours from now for you weirdos that don't live on the east coast.

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 6, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

PICKS PICKS PICKS

Group One AKA Team Race Relations
Plutonis as Lady Satyavati Wodeyar
Doomykins as Genevieve Beauchene
Rtwo as Sir Edouard Henri Silvain Varian Alexandre Granville L'everett III
ProfessorCirno as Mirabelle de Pasade
Wahad as Adrian/Caldor Thornweaver
Kai Tave as Bryn of Tanna

Group Two AKA Saints Row 4(th Edition)
Ovo as Gosu
Wolery as Nyka
LurkWithWolves as Eydis
AXE COP as Ketta
Error 404 as Sereth
RPZip as Kodache Aoka

Congratulations to those that got in! If you didn't, keep an eye on this thread: if anyone needs to drop, I'll come to you guys first before reopening apps for a replacement. Also, I will be doing a 13th Age game once the setting is a bit more established, if you're more interested in that.

Additionally, if you got in, I'm going to throw some more questions at you! In the meantime, combat blocks would be neat. Game threads will be up in a bit.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Everyone: Give your impressions on your companions.

RPZip
Tell me about some of the wildlife you’ve encountered outside of Twirovia. Have you had any ideas about their role in Twirovia’s economy?

Wahad
Adrian: Has your Lord ever called on you before? What did he want? (Obviously this will be fabricated, but mortal ears might find it to be an interesting story.)
Caldor: How did you know Argos Darkbow before he turned against you?

Error 404
Describe a job you took before joining this party. Did you meet any notable people, either as coworkers, employers, adversaries, or just normal folk caught up in the mess?

Doomykins

Tell me more about the Cirque de Lune. What’s your fondest memory of your old career? Do you ever regret leaving?

Rtwo
Tell me about one of your works of art and what inspired you to make it. Additionally, who taught you swordsmanship?

Kai Tave
Tell me about your childhood as the daughter of a famous General. What would you do if you ever returned to Tanna?

Wolery
The company you joined isn’t the same as the one you’re in now. Tell me about a job you did with them, and why you’re no longer with them.

AXE COP

You were not of Ormakt’s clan; tell me about the god your clan followed, and if you have met any in the modern world that also follow them.

LurksWithWolves
Tell me some of the secret arts that Longfang taught you. Despite his treachery, do you have any fond memories of your ex-master? Do you want to see your parents again?

Ovo
You have briefly visited another nation before joining this group. What were your impressions of the land and people? Did you find any clues to your true nature? (This can be any of the already-established nations or another you make up).

ProfessorCirno
Do you know any details of the bargain the has supposedly bound you to servitude? What are you going to do about it?

Plutonis
What happened to your loyal followers? Do you believe Celestine will be able to help you with your plight?

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 7, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quote:

Sir Edouard Henri Silvain Varian Alexandre Granville L'everett III: Bloody fop! The only reason I didn't cut his Eladrin head off his shoulder is because of the fact that the western baronies weren't involved with the Andamani Empire. Perhaps it would be for the best if the ones who are now ruling my land were like this effete, as killing them would be an easier task.

Genevieve Beauchene: Another from the same accursed kind, and a thief! Yet the fact that her craft was restricted to her own people makes my opinion of her slightly better. And her fighting style is interesting, I could learn from it.

Mirabelle de Pasade: Lafarea and Nadibhumi were historical rivals on trade, yet I believed them to be aware of our common enemy, a complete disappointment once I learned that the price for their help was to cede the control of major ports to their merchants. Yet Mirabelle is an interesting member of nobility, at least because like me, she knows how to not be slowed by material attachments. Of course, being bonded to the forces of hell is a minus, but a minor one.

Adrian: There is a reason why we never colonized the western provinces. The wild Fae don't see other creatures with good eyes, and history has taught us and the humans that... But it seems that some lessons cannot be memorized. A shame, at least this boy got new power in the process.

Bryn of Tanna: Such sword movements, such military tradition... It seems that I must take notes from the human northern clans and put them into use once I start my plans to the future. There are some issues with them and with Bryn in particular, the ones regarding discipline. She lacks those in a way that might be a hindrance to the group, and I will make sure that she is aware of that fact.

quote:

What happened to your loyal followers? Do you believe Celestine will be able to help you with your plight?

They stayed behind, either fighting... Or surrendering, as I gave them the choice to do so. A large enough group of elves would attract unwanted attention, and I've already dealt with enough paid thugs hired by the Eladrin who tried to kill me. As a mercenary, however, things are far quieter.

And Lenua... Is perhaps one of the last few countries left that I can ask help from. While I usually would accept sacrifices such as tributes and lowered tariffs to those who helped in the independence of Nadibhumi, the proposals that most countries do, such as marrying me to their unworthy children or accepting vassalization, that is impossible!

Yet Queen Celestine is regarded as a woman of honor, even on my distant country. Perhaps if I help her, then my cause will be helped in retribution.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 7, 2013

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Here's my combat block(s). I'll do the questions tomorrow after I've gotten some sleep.

pre:
Ketta   						 
HP: 32/32 (THP: )        AC:   19    Passive Insight: 14
Surges: 6/6 (V: 8)       For:  13    Passive Perception: 14
Initiative: +6   	 Ref:  18    Action Points: 1
Speed: 7   	         Will: 15    Vision: Low-Light Vision

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Twin Strike             [ ] Second Wind                      [ ] Sure Shot
Careful Attack          [ ] Feline Escape
Hunter's Quarry         [ ] Disruptive Strike 
Nature's Mask           [ ] Echoing Dirge
                        [ ] Shadow Warp

Ranged Basic Attack (Quick Greatbow +1): 1d20+10 vs AC; 1d12+6 damage.

Item Powers
Repulsion Leather Armour +1: Daily, Minor Action. Whenever enemy enters adjacent square, can push that enemy 1 square as an immediate reaction, until the end of the encounter.

Conditionals/Resists:
Elusive: +2 to saving throws versus immobilise, restrain, slow; +2 to checks to escape grab
Beast Nature, Fey Origin, Shapechanger: Considered both Human and Magical Beast; Fey origin; subject to effects affecting shapechangers.
Language of Beasts: While in animal form, can freely communicate with cats and related creatures. While in human form, can understand but not reply to these.
Animal Form (Cat): While in animal form, cannot use any attack powers, but can sustain any already active; cannot use item powers or shields,
but otherwise retain benefits of equipment; gain climb speed equal to usual speed; while in human or animal form, 
other creatures can discern true nature with Insight vs. Bluff check (gain +5 to this Bluff roll).

pre:
Tregul, Transformed Horse [Animal Companion Cat]   						 
HP: 38/38 (THP: )        AC:   17    Type: Medium Beast
Surges: 2/2 (V: 9)       For:  14    Vision: Low-Light
Initiative: -    	 Ref:  16
Speed: 7   	         Will: 15

STR: 14                  INT: 6
CON: 12                  WIS: 14
DEX: 16                  CHA: 6

Melee Basic Attack (Claw): 1d20+7 vs AC; 1d8+4 damage.

Trained Skills:
Athletics
Stealth

pre:
Skogkatt, Transformed Dog [Animal Master's Cat]   						 
HP: 1/1 (THP: )          AC:   17    Type: Tiny Natural Beast
Surges: -                For:  12    Vision: Low-Light
Initiative: +6    	 Ref:  16
Speed: 5   	         Will: 13

STR: 4                   INT: 2
CON: 11                  WIS: 12
DEX: 19                  CHA: 11

Trained Skills:
Athletics: +2
Stealth: +9

A missed attack never damages Skogkatt.
While within 10 squares of Skogkatt, Ketta can move up to half her speed without incurring the usual -5 penalty to stealth checks for moving more than 2 squares.

pre:
Bygul, Transformed Raven [Familiar Cat]   						 
HP: 1/1 (THP: )        Type: Tiny Magical Creature
Surges: -              Vision: Low-Light
Initiative: -    
Speed: 6   	      

Passive Benefits:
While in passive mode the familiar cannot be targeted or damaged and shares Ketta's space. 
Ketta gains +2 to Acrobatic checks and can always make Acrobatics checks to reduce falling damage even if untrained in Acrobatics.

Active Benefits:
While in Active mode the familiar has 1 hit point and shares all of Ketta's skill modifiers and defenses.
In this mode it is a Tiny creature, cannot flank or manipulate objects, and provides the following two benefits:
Independent Spirit: The cat familiar has no range limit on how far away it can exist from Ketta.
Silent Predator: The cat familiar gains +5 to Stealth checks.

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 7, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Lady Satyavati Wodeyar: "Wood-ear? Yeah, she's all right. I seen her checking out my moves...guess she's got good taste. Won't stop goin' on about 'woe is me, my kingdom got taken over by Eladrin' and 'blah blah something about discipline' but she knows her way 'round a sword which makes up for it. Anyway, the moral of the story is Eladrin are dicks."

Genevieve Beauchene & Sir Edouard Henri Silvain Varian Alexandre Granville L'everett III: "Like these dicks. Holy fuckballs, shut up. You know what it's like having to listen to these play romance at each other? Pretty sure she's just after his money. 'S the only reason I'd gently caress'im. The worst thing about Eladrin is how they never stay still when you take a swing at'em."

Mirabelle de Pasade: "Now her I like! Bitch knows what's up...the two best ways to ruin someone's poo poo are hittin'em with an axe or settin'em on fire. I got the former locked down and she takes care of the rest. She can be kind of a snob but, I mean, she's no Eladrin. Plus she can hold her booze, and she knows this great party trick where she sets someone's hair on fire. Cracks me the gently caress up. I'm still the best, but she's a pretty close second."

Adrian/Caldor Thornweaver: "He's okay...kinda boring though. I mean, he's just sorta there I guess, gets the job done, doesn't act like a dick, isn't Eladrin...can't really complain. Still, you wouldn't know it to look at'im but this guy can put away the booze. He just needs to loosen the gently caress up a bit, y'know?"

quote:

Kai Tave
Tell me about your childhood as the daughter of a famous General. What would you do if you ever returned to Tanna?

"My childhood? Eh, it was pretty cool. I mean, you grow up in Tanna and you learn how to fight, that's just how it is...doesn't matter if you're some sheep-herder or a trader's kid or what, you live next to a bunch of angry gnolls and you better know which end of the spear goes where. But me, I got to learn how to fight. At least training was cool since nobody was making GBS threads their pants at the thought of me getting hurt...that's how training's supposed to work, and when your mom's as badass as mind there are certain standards you're expected to live up to. Which I totally do, of course.

If I ever returned to Tanna...I'd probably leave again? I dunno, I didn't hate it or anything but, y'know, it's just not that exciting once you've gotten out a bit. Yeah, there's drinking and there's fighting, but you can only fight the same guys so many times before it gets kinda old. If I had to go back I'd prolly see if all the stories about a demon squattin' in the Ashcaps is true...and kill the poo poo out of it. Fuckin' gnolls, man. Almost as bad as Eladrin."

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

:frogsiren:Game threads up post post post:frogsiren:

Saint's Row
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592488

Race Relations
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592487

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Ovo
You have briefly visited another nation before joining this group. What were your impressions of the land and people? Did you find any clues to your true nature? (This can be any of the already-established nations or another you make up).

From H'amar I managed to catch a ship to some land beyond. The sailors were wary about taking me on but a small diamond I had held onto over the years convinced them to take me to their destination; some place called Twirovia. On the journey they told me of it's rich history, the monstrous beasts that the underwater inhabitants slaughtered for their goods; it sounded like a remarkable place. When we arrived I was let down however. The underwater city was quite amazing; sinking to the bottom to wander the place was an astonishing experience. The great factories were long since silent though; the hunters had stopped it would seem. People I talked to spoke of the need to conserve the beasts in the sea so that they can kill them; the nuances of their economy perhaps has evaded me. The mighty beast heads I saw mounted on some walls seemed like a grand prize by its-self. The people seemed very upset over the whole issue so I did not press the matter.

I tried to find someone that perhaps might have seen a being such as myself but found nothing. The people were too pre-occupied with solving their hunting problems to bother themselves with the concerns of some stranger from a desert. My questions just raised further questions from the city residents; though quite a few were interested if I had any diamonds. I heard of some thing called a 'safari' that did seem interesting. I left Twirovia along that path, finding odd work along the way; the lands beyond this place might have more answers.

Impressions

Nyka
I Was quite surprised to meet another 'tiefling'. When travelling with the nomads I often heard tales of these 'devils' and their wickedness. We stopped to sell water in a town one evening that was going to hang one of these tieflings. The devil man burned most of the town and his captors and fled though, an impressive display. The desert people were terrified of these tieflings but were never able to explain it to me properly I think. Nyka seems to be a very civil person, and a good fighter at that. People still seem to treat her oddly though. I should ask her about what she is some time, perhaps I can get a proper explanation from her.

Eydis
I do not know what to make of this woman. She practices a form of magic I am unfamiliar with and is fairly reserved. Perhaps just a traveller like myself, out to see the world. I am glad that her magic is on my side.

Ketta
I have never met a person like Ketta before. The beasts she has with her are quite a sight. When I first asked her about what she was she said some very confusing thing about gods and such things. I have yet to grasp what gods are exactly, but if they are as powerful as they have been described to me then I should seek them out. They might have the answers I need. I should get Ketta to explain them in further detail.

Sereth
Another practitioner of magic. He seems to be a very angry person for reasons I do not know. Perhaps that is what led him into the life of a mercenary? He is a talented spell-caster, though he occasionally rants about magic at times. He is confusing to me.

Kodache Aoka
Unlike the rest I knew of this person, in a way. While in Twirovia I heard people using the name Aoka as some curse. It seemed likely that she was related to the curse in some way then. She has long since gone over the normal safari time for her people, no need to return home when your name means what it does. Perhaps it would be best not to tell her I came from her home for fear of aggravating her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
I swapped out the crossbow on Edouard's statblock for a couple of javelins instead. Much better bonuses with a heavy thrown than I'd ever see out of a missile weapon, and Eladrin Soldier helps boost the damage too.

quote:

Tell me about one of your works of art and what inspired you to make it. Additionally, who taught you swordsmanship?
I-it's terribly rude to boast about one's own accomplishments, of course. Better to let them speak for themselves... but all my canvases and musical scores I left at home.

I suppose my best work, my master-piece, my greatest example of pouring all my heart and soul into a piece... would be the poem I wrote to propose to dear Genevieve, but I hesitate to even bring that up -- it's quite private! Before I left home, I'd written a song called "Âge de Géants des Tempêtes" that seemed to be quite popular at court. I'm rather proud of that one, I suppose.

I learned my swordsmanship as any Eladrin noble heir ought; I squired into the service of a Knight of the Crown! Sir Pembrook was a mighty man, with a heart as pure as freshly-fallen snow... truly a fine role-model for a young Eladrin such as I was. I graduated from his service at seventeen years of age, when I entered the military on my own merits rather than those of the knight I served.

quote:

Lady Satyavati Wodeyar
How dreadful, what's happening in her home-nation! Simply dreadful, oh dear yes. I'd met this Prince Varna at a royal banquet once, a ghastly fellow to be sure. Not gentlemanly by any stretch of the imagination. My heart goes out to her for her loss... but I feel just a hint of resentment from her nonetheless.

Genevieve Beauchene
My darling! My muse! I shudder to think what I would do without her!

Mirabelle de Pasade
So sad, so tragic! A noble, so full of promise and talent, disgraced and sent away from home! Given our similar histories I'm sure we'll soon become the fastest of friends as we seek to recover our respective heritages.

Adrian
Such a noble sacrifice from one so young! It wrenches the heart from its seat, does it not? Faced with the terrifying power of one of the True Fey, he pleads to have his mother, his own flesh and blood, spared of its wrath, sacrificing himself instead! Ah, if only more young people these days were so upstanding and just.

Bryn of Tanna
M... my goodness, Bryn is... certainly... hmm... Bryn is certainly passionate and straightforward. Yes indeed. Yes... indeed. Perhaps it was merely -- as the people say -- the "beer doing the talking"? I did have to buy her several refills before she told me the entirety of her tale. That must be it.

• Locked thread