Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How accurate sync do you need? Have you considered using a secondary computer for some of the inputs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I solved the problem by creating a new folder for my saves to go into, one that won't get forced into read-only mode.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

nielsm posted:

How accurate sync do you need? Have you considered using a secondary computer for some of the inputs?

Some delay is fine. I'm wondering if it's my USB audio mixer at this point, but I don't want to go buy another expensive one if it's not.

here's where I am so far. I've removed the music from Link to the Past, I have my video input working, but my audio from my synthesizer is stuttering. When you can barely hear it, one of the notes is being played based on the player's Y position. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ckg3CPmz-w

So I'm able to get a ton of data into my PC, via the 3 video streams that are running without issue right now, which is why I'm wondering if another mixer will help.

Edit: Using line in on my motherboard kind of works around the problem. I had to do some other stuff, and this limits me to only one synthesizer's audio input for now, when I eventually want to have a few at once, but at least for right now I've got something.

Here's Link's X and Y position controlling what notes play on the synthesizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ns363C0FI

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 24, 2021

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Can anyone recommend a good webcam for casual streaming? I'd like a baseline of quality with a known brand (Logitech/Razer/etc) but don't need anything crazy. The main feature I care about is the ability to zoom in and out, but it's hard to google info about that nowadays (searching "webcam zoom" gives you a ton of results about Zoom meetings). 60fps preferred but it can be sub-1080p, since I'd mainly just use it for a small window within OBS.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Planning to start casually twitch streaming again. Got a set up with a dual-monitor but I'm not able to have a separate gaming and streaming rig, and my PC isn't super high end either. Which free broadcast software best gives me decent options for overlays and stuff without being too notable of a resource hog? Ideally one that can handle multiple audio device inputs without issue.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
OBS/slobs is still pretty much the go-to choice. Unless you're running a shitload of overlays and such it shouldn't be much of a resource hog unless you're playing something that already pushes your PC pretty hard, you can test with a local recording and see if you have to knock a setting or two down.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Zerilan posted:

Planning to start casually twitch streaming again. Got a set up with a dual-monitor but I'm not able to have a separate gaming and streaming rig, and my PC isn't super high end either. Which free broadcast software best gives me decent options for overlays and stuff without being too notable of a resource hog? Ideally one that can handle multiple audio device inputs without issue.

OBS and StreamLabs OBS are the general go-tos for streaming software. Generally, regular OBS is regarded as being less resource-heavy but somewhat more difficult to get used to using. Either one should be able to handle multiple audio inputs just fine.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Hi there. This isn't exactly a 'tech' question, more of a... social engineering question? I'm trying to plan out how to do some interactivity for an LP I intend to do probably some time in early 2022, and I want to make sure anybody can get a chance to interact if they want to. I have done lots of live LPing of games, but never done a screenshot play-by-post before, so it's a bit new to me.

Don't wanna spoil the game, but essentially I want people to suggest what we do (easy part) and there will be a lot of things to name, and I would like the thread to come up with those names. (Hard part)

Problem is this: This is a long long long long turn-based game and I won't be doing one turn per post. AND you can often find yourself having to name something at an unexpected time. AND many of the names can't be changed once set. It would be absurd for me to stop every time this happens and ask the thread, so instead, I want to have some kind of 'pool' of names available...

So how do I allow for people to toss names into the pool?

There's basically four things to name:
-Landmarks we discover (can't be changed)
-Towns we found (can't be changed)
-Generals/Armies (can be changed)
-Boats (can be changed)

So, armies and ships can just be first-come first-serve when we make new ones, I suppose, if I can't think of a better system.

For landmarks and town we need some kind of list, but I don't want one person to fill it themselves, and I also don't want to run out. There's rather a lot, so limiting it to one per person probably wouldn't be enough.

I did have a great idea: I'll start by playing the tutorial for a few updates and name things whatever I want. Then afterwards we'll start the main game. That way, I'll have several updates where I don't need names ahead of time. But I really don't know what I want to do for names. Allow one name per person but later increase the limit? Have a weight system depending on how many names you've put in? Have people vote on the best name suggestions? Do I just pick ones I like the most or think fit the best? Give me some tips.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You could set up a google form which allows people to submit name suggestions, and ask them to submit their own name alongside. Then when you pull from the suggestions, you disqualify the person's other suggestions until everyone has gotten at least 1 name in.

There's probably a cleaner way to implement that as well, but the form does make it easier for you to keep track of suggestions.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Good idea! Google form... I will probably use something like that, thank you.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Just a quick post to let the mods know that the "Image Formats" link in the Guides post on the first page isn't working anymore.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Not really LP per se, but I feel this could overlap. I've been doing streaming on and off with PC games just fine, but lately have been thinking of getting a capture card to specifically stream console games - Bloodborne and Breath of the Wild are currently on my "to stream" list.

I've been reading plenty of lists of "best capture cards" but it's all starting to blur together a bit.

Are there any goon recommendations for a decent capture card, and any tips of what I should be aware of when choosing and using one?

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Could be on my end, but any images I upload to Lpix is suddenly showing up as a broken, whether it's Rightload or uploading stuff manually.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Seconding this. Rightload refuses to upload at all, and imaged uploaded to LPix manually are dead.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Looks like the disk with lpix/lparchive filled up in the past little while (the rate of growth isn't very high but I forget to keep track of it, oops).

I've moved off one of the top users onto an alternate disk to free up space for the next while. That should tide over until January at least, and I think I should be able to respec the machine to get more disk space without much trouble.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Okay, uploading manually works, but Rightload is still spitting an error.

"An error occured while uploading file (xyz.png):

Access violation at address 54051B80 in module 'LPix.dll'. Read of address 00000000"

edit: It's because the filename is "merrychristmas#####.png". Apparently "err" causes a problem. God dammit.

Faillen Angel fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 26, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
I didn't see any holistic screenshot LP guides in the OP and it decided to adapt an old post of mine laying out my workflow into a generalized first-timer's guide, because that sounds like a quick and easy job that won't cause me any stress or frustration. I'm 6K words in and it's a loving mess, so I decided to pull back and try and build a table of contents covering the highlights so I know what to tackle and in what order. As it stands, I'm looking at two sections with a bunch of subheadings:

PREPARATIONS
  • General Advice (includes maintaining motivation, gimmick selection, and dealing with burnout)
  • The OP(Includes thread rules and spoiler policies)
  • Transcripts (includes transcripts AND transcribing)
  • Image Hosting (links to the OP and says "go read the part where it talks about hosts")
  • Portraits (includes notes on banners)
  • Systems (includes both general notes on recording and my experience with Switch and PC, the two systems I use)
WORKFLOW
  • Recording (how to approach getting stuff down as you play, ending with a script without any BBCode)
  • Inserting Screenshots (both manually and using ShareX)
  • Inserting Portraits (both manually and using basic VBA)
  • Inserting Music Links (both manually and using basic VBA)
  • Posting (includes info on Test Poster for long updates and (possibly) thread maintenance)

Are there any big concepts (or smaller subheadings) I'm missing? I know I'm not quite there, I just haven't figured out what holes I need to plug. I'm assuming whoever reads it has already committed to doing a screenshot LP and selected a game, so I'm trying to keep the scope limited to going from a concept to a running LP. It also won't be definitive; I'm kind of a caveman terrified of foreign concepts like crap and basic programming, so I'm laying it out as a description of how to do the all this manually with extensive notes on where to find programs that can do things for you (plus some VBA presented as painlessly as possible). This isn't supposed to be a full strategy guide as much as a reference document that lays out the basics and gives you the vocabulary you need to ask the Fort for help with specifics

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

baldurk posted:

Looks like the disk with lpix/lparchive filled up in the past little while (the rate of growth isn't very high but I forget to keep track of it, oops).

I've moved off one of the top users onto an alternate disk to free up space for the next while. That should tide over until January at least, and I think I should be able to respec the machine to get more disk space without much trouble.

Faillen Angel posted:

Okay, uploading manually works, but Rightload is still spitting an error.

"An error occured while uploading file (xyz.png):

Access violation at address 54051B80 in module 'LPix.dll'. Read of address 00000000"

edit: It's because the filename is "merrychristmas#####.png". Apparently "err" causes a problem. God dammit.

Looks like it still isn't working for me. Any images I upload to Lpix (manual or Rightload) are still broken.

Mind you, baldurk, if you're still trying to respec the machine or get another disk, no worries.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
If you've attempted to upload a picture already, it won't let you upload an exact copy; you need to edit the metadata somehow. Just, like, scribble on it in paint.

Of course, the old ones won't show up for you to delete to fix it... :argh:

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Rightload is old and broken and I'm not going to fix bugs there because people shouldn't be using it. What image are you having trouble uploading manually?

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

All the images for the new update (part88_#). I think it might be like what Faillen Angel says, and it's registering as the same image and showing up broken for some reason. I'll try changing a pixel to a different color later today for a screenshot.

Also, huh. I thought Rightload was up to date. What should I be using instead?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ShareX is a lot friendlier.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Yeh I don't know what that Faillen Angel thinks, but there's definitely not a problem with uploading an image that already exists. That's very easy to test. It will just give you back a link to the same image that's already uploaded and it won't go into a new gallery if you already have it in one of your existing galleries (i.e. you can't have the exact same image in two or more galleries).

I need to get the actual image to be able to debug if there's a problem, amazingly I don't have the images for your new update. Also any kind of description at all of what goes wrong when you manually upload would help.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

When I upload the image, it sends me a broken link telling me that it already got uploaded.

I deleted the images before I messaged on the 4th, so sorry about that. Faillen Angel's suggestion about drawing on the image (I swapped out a pixel with a different color) worked, and I don't have many images for the new update, so I'll just manually upload those and finish the update. I'll keep the broken images I reuploaded - titled under "part_88" - in the Defaults folder in case you want to figure out what's wrong with them.

Arist posted:

ShareX is a lot friendlier.

I'll take a look at it.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Are these specifically images which uploaded and failed while the server wasn't accepting new uploads? You said that any image you upload fails - but is it only ones that previously failed which are now breaking?

I think what's happened is it's created 0-byte files for those images and now refuses to upload a 'duplicate' even if the original is broken. I'll need to find and scrub these, I'll do that tomorrow.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

baldurk posted:

but is it only ones that previously failed which are now breaking?

This. It looks like new images I upload are fine, but the ones that were broken before stay broken because Lpix interprets it as the same images already uploaded.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Confirming that this is the same issue I had. Just showed up as dead images, saying "this picture already exists", but said images weren't in my folders to delete.

I'd love to use ShareX instead, but the plugin just straight-up doesn't work for me. Just spits back err2, and "authentication failure" doesn't tell me much about what I should change.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

OK that should be things cleaned up, I deleted the images with the broken metadata so you should be able to upload the correct images and it won't complain about them being duplicates.

Users affected: Faillen Angel (2 images), TeeQueue (13 images), Sanguinia (2 images), Pyre Of Word Salsa (29 images), Brother Make (1 image). You'll find the images are gone from your galleries too, FWIW.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

This a good place to ask for recs for desk arms/stands (general voice coms and VO recordings)? Got an AT2020 for Christmas and I'm shopping around for an audio interface, so the last step is something to mount the thing on. This is the general vibe of my desk. I take the wheel off if I'm not in one of my driving game moods, and I'm thinking it might be a good place for an arm.

My friend has the Røde PSA-1, and he's very happy with that, but it doesn't necessarily have to be an arm as long as it gets the mic close to my face.

And if there's better threads for this, I appreciate a link, of course.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've been thinking about trying my hand at LP again, are there any new good free software options for that? Back in 2014 I used OBS, Audacity and Avidemux, and they're still in the OP but it hasn't been updated in a while, anything better show up since then?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

anilEhilated posted:

I've been thinking about trying my hand at LP again, are there any new good free software options for that? Back in 2014 I used OBS, Audacity and Avidemux, and they're still in the OP but it hasn't been updated in a while, anything better show up since then?

I've been using OBS for my Freelancer LP and it's been pretty straightforward to set up and use.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

OBS is still one of the best options for screen recording, or recording from a capture device. You can also have it record microphones to a separate audio track even, if you want to record live commentary but still have it separated out from the game audio.

For video editing, there's the DaVinci Resolve NLE which won't cost you money (just your information) as an individual/hobbyist, it's supposedly okay.
There's also a few free open source options for video editing, discounting AviSynth and similar: Shotcut, and OpenShot. Last I tried they were both really sluggish in UI performance and felt limiting, with OpenShot by far the worst of the two. Supposedly Blender (the 3D modeling software) can also be used as a video editor.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 30, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I use and can recommend Davinci Resolve. It has a learning curve, like all creative software, but it's not too hard to learn the basics.

EDIT: here's my Davinci Resolve tutorial:

My workflow for Davinci Resolve is basically:
  • Record footage with OBS
  • Use ffmpeg to convert OBS's .mkv files to .mp4 files (ffmpeg -i video.mkv -c copy video.mp4)
  • Create a new Resolve project, switch to Edit mode (button at the bottom-center of the window)
  • Drag the .mp4 files into the media pool. Resolve will probably pop up a warning that the clips don't match the framerate/resolution settings of your project. Change the project to match the clips.
  • There's two video players in Edit mode. The one on the left is your source clip from the media pool; the one on the right shows the final output. Double-click a clip in the media pool to show it in the left side. Scrub through it with the player until you find the start point you want to use, then hit i (for "in"). Keep playing until you find where you want the clip to cut off, and hit o (for "out"). Then click on the video itself and drag it into the timeline.
  • Each clip in the timeline has a set of small handles at the top-left and top-right corners. You can drag these away from the sides to fade the clips. Note that if you want to fade the audio, you have to do so separately. If you want to change the length of the clip, you can click and drag on the left or right edges to shorten or extend it.
  • You can right-click on a clip to bring up more commands. The main one I use is "Retime Curve" (and then click on where it says "Retime Frame" and change it to "Retime Speed"). This opens a little widget that lets you change the playback speed of a clip with fine precision, which I use to speed up clips so I can fit more of them into the trailer.
  • In the very top-right of the window is an "Inspector" button, which is where you access stuff like volume controls or the position of overlaid graphics.
  • When you're done, click on the "Deliver" button at the bottom to choose how you want to render.
  • Remember to save often, Resolve isn't the most stable software. I've only had it crash once or twice, but that's still more than I'd like.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 30, 2022

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Finally starting the streaming schedule I intended to start a couple months back. Using OBS Studio due to how much friendlier CPU wise it seemed than streamlabs. Haven't really looked much into the plug-in options for OBS though. Are there any good lists of recommended/useful plugins?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zerilan posted:

Finally starting the streaming schedule I intended to start a couple months back. Using OBS Studio due to how much friendlier CPU wise it seemed than streamlabs. Haven't really looked much into the plug-in options for OBS though. Are there any good lists of recommended/useful plugins?

If you're in need of tools for streaming like alerts and stuff, Streamelements is good. Otherwise all the plugins (at least from a glance at the ones on the OBS project forums) are pretty niche.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Hi Tech Support,

It's been my dream to do a let's play since I started lurking SA back in 2010/2011 and I finally have the means to do so. I am planning on starting off easy with SSLP of an older game and I have it running on the Oracle VM Virtualbox. It's running good so far. However, the cutscenes between the live action and cartoon lags a lot. It will lag starting the game into the cartoon sections, but it catches up after a while and runs smoothly thereafter. It's just the live action cutscenes itself that seem to have horrible lag.

Is there anything I can do for the graphical error in the Oracle?

Nevermind, may have found a fix. :)

My Face When fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 10, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The quality of my GBA videos keeps fluctuating between 360, 480, and 720 when I record. Lately, Dxtory hasn't been able to get over 360, and it's been rather frustrating.

I've heard OBS is supposed to be a good recording program, but I don't know if I can shrink it to the GBA screen size without messing up the settings I have for recording from the DS.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The quality of my GBA videos keeps fluctuating between 360, 480, and 720 when I record. Lately, Dxtory hasn't been able to get over 360, and it's been rather frustrating.

I've heard OBS is supposed to be a good recording program, but I don't know if I can shrink it to the GBA screen size without messing up the settings I have for recording from the DS.

In OBS, the capture size is stored in the Profile. Your DS settings should be fine if you make a new Profile and Scene Collection for the GBA. At least, that's how I'd do it.

I've just got a FFMPEG script to record losslessly for most things, which aside from potentially massive video sizes and the rare times it insists on recording only 59 FPS on a 60 FPS source, has been great. If I ever needed to upscale or prep for a video upload, I can just run the resulting raw video through something else. I've only got experience with SSLPs though, so I don't know how well it'd serve a VLP.

Someone else probably knows better than me on this, so take this with the necessary salt.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 11, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh, I was planning for a SSLP, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Personally I'd just record with the emulator's built-in recording function, as long as it has one, and most do.