Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay, I use Xsplit (I know it says not to, sue me, I did it before I read anything and I'm used to it) and have been currently using this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLFXr4ub55I

To seperate out the sound from my partner on Discord and my recording. This is good enough, but it means my own voice is tied in with the game audio. What's the best method to set things up such that the game audio is recorded with the video be seperately from my own voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
Is it for a stream, or post commentary video?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sazero posted:

Is it for a stream, or post commentary video?

They're doing a live co-op LP, so commentary is not done in post.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
Well since you've seperated game and discord audio already, change Xplits microphone volume to 0
and record your voice locally with Audacity (or another recording software)

Sazero fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 13, 2017

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is it possible to easily trim frames from an AVI file and then result in a shorter, smaller AVI file that hasn't been affected in quality?

The reason I ask is because I recorded a few (Fraps) sessions of game footage in advance, but I screwed up in the game several times and started over, and some of these recordings have 20-30 minutes at the end of them that I'm not going to use. But my external drive is really starting to fill up, so it'd be nice to trim the fat a bit.

Preferably using MeGUI. I've tried it, and I've figured out how to trim frames from a video file, but no matter what I do, MeGUI wants to give me the result as an MP4 file, and I'm worried I'll downgrade the quality.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Is it possible to easily trim frames from an AVI file and then result in a shorter, smaller AVI file that hasn't been affected in quality?

The reason I ask is because I recorded a few (Fraps) sessions of game footage in advance, but I screwed up in the game several times and started over, and some of these recordings have 20-30 minutes at the end of them that I'm not going to use. But my external drive is really starting to fill up, so it'd be nice to trim the fat a bit.

Preferably using MeGUI. I've tried it, and I've figured out how to trim frames from a video file, but no matter what I do, MeGUI wants to give me the result as an MP4 file, and I'm worried I'll downgrade the quality.

Yeah, just use Avisynth to do your edits, save the script, and open it in Virtual Dub. Use Fast Recompress, pick the codec you used to record the video in the first place, and there you go.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Found a program called "lossless-cut" that looks like it should be what you're after.

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut

It's pretty much just a nice gui that uses ffmpeg to do everything, so you could do it with ffmpeg yourself if you're comfortable.

quote:

HowTo: Cut a video directly with ffmpeg, without re-encoding
You only need the -ss and -t options. -ss is the starttime and -t the duration, so if you want 10 seconds from a video starting from minute one, you would use this.
code:
ffmpeg -i INFILE.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -ss 00:01:00.000 -t 00:00:10.000 OUTFILE.mp4
You can use seconds or hh:mm:ss[.xxx] as arguments for the start time and duration, i prefer the second option.
The options -vcodec copy and -acodec copy are used to only cut the video and disable the re-encoding, this really speed things up.
From: https://vollnixx.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/howto-cut-a-video-directly-with-ffmpeg-without-transcoding/

But having given the program a small test, I can't imagine why you'd want to use anything more fiddly, and it does seem to work as advertised. Though it doesn't appear to let you do anything outside of a simple trim, so if you wanted to cut the middle of a video out, you'd need to settle for basically splitting up one file into two, which at worst is a trivial annoyance. If you needed to end up with the same number of video files you started with, I imagine you could probably do that with ffmpeg but that's beyond me.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Touchfuzzy posted:

Yeah, just use Avisynth to do your edits, save the script, and open it in Virtual Dub. Use Fast Recompress, pick the codec you used to record the video in the first place, and there you go.

Actually if you want to do it without any loss of quality at all, and are fine being limited to starting cuts at keyframes, you should be using VirtualDub by itself (most important: do not use Avisynth) in Direct Stream Copy mode. That's one of the original core features of VirtualDub, being able to cut AVI files without re-encoding.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

Actually if you want to do it without any loss of quality at all, and are fine being limited to starting cuts at keyframes, you should be using VirtualDub by itself (most important: do not use Avisynth) in Direct Stream Copy mode. That's one of the original core features of VirtualDub, being able to cut AVI files without re-encoding.

Oh cool! Didn't know that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thanks guys! Using Virtualdub seems to work well enough. I do notice that the trimmed AVI has a lower bitrate than the original... from roughly 800,000kbs to 300,000kbs. But I'm not seeing any difference in quality between the two, so I think this works out fine.

lolhi, I tried out lossless-cut but when I tried to open a Fraps AVI it said the filetype was not supported, oddly enough. Thanks for the help though!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm still using Avisynth like a goofus and I've got two audio tracks on an AVI and I don't know how to get both of them loaded into a script. The main track loads fine but I've got no second track. What am I missing?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm still using Avisynth like a goofus and I've got two audio tracks on an AVI and I don't know how to get both of them loaded into a script. The main track loads fine but I've got no second track. What am I missing?

If you're trying to layer them, it might just be easier to combine them in Audacity into one track.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

code:
track1 = avisource("FileWithMultipleAudioTracks.avi", atrack=0)
track2 = avisource("FileWithMultipleAudioTracks.avi", atrack=1)
mixed = MixAudio(track1, track2)
return AudioDub(track1, mixed)
I'm not sure if the AudioDub is really necessary, or the MixAudio will already retain the video from the first input clip.
If the two audio tracks have different samplerate, number of channels, or other differences, you may need to convert one of them to match the other too.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

davidspackage posted:

Thanks guys! Using Virtualdub seems to work well enough. I do notice that the trimmed AVI has a lower bitrate than the original... from roughly 800,000kbs to 300,000kbs. But I'm not seeing any difference in quality between the two, so I think this works out fine.

lolhi, I tried out lossless-cut but when I tried to open a Fraps AVI it said the filetype was not supported, oddly enough. Thanks for the help though!
The different bitrate is a bit odd, if virtualdub did indeed reencode using the fraps codec, I wonder if the original recording was done with "force lossless RGB capture" enabled in fraps which iirc bloated the filesize a lot?

Given the monstrous bitrates you have from fraps, and that you were running out of space on your HDD, it might be worth converting your old footage, you can either do what did with that video and just resave in virtualdub or you could use another lossless codec like lagarith(in the OP) to free up even more space. Given that it's fraps footage we're talking about, I imagine it wouldn't take too long to achieve in terms of how big the fraps recordings are and how you get relatively little recording time for the huge space taken up.

Can you post screengrabs of original footage versus re-saved stuff? I'd like to see if it's washing out the colours slightly like fraps without lossless RGB on does.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Did you make sure the codec you originally recorded in was selected in "Compression" and the same settings were used within the codec?

Edit: Ah I see, you were using Fraps, so if you used anything else (Lagarith, MagicYUV, UT, etc) you'd likely see a drop, since Fraps' codec is lol.

Touchfuzzy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 18, 2017

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
quote is not edit

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Given that I don't have a mac, what would be the best way to record an iphone game?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Finding someone who does and stealing theirs.

You could try one of those Lightning to HDMI converters but I'm pretty sure that Apple uses HDCP. But not positive.

Alternatively you could try using AirPlay to an Apple TV and recording that, but I'm pretty sure that also uses HDCP. But again, I'm not positive.

Both of those assume you have some method of recording off HDMI, with something like an Elgato.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/ this (or equivalent) and then capturing the reflected window would also work. Not free (unless you love watermarks) but it's cheaper than a Mac.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Melth posted:

Given that I don't have a mac, what would be the best way to record an iphone game?

Using a program like Reflector, X-Mirage or Apowersoft Phone Manager so you can use airplay on the phone to mirror the screen in a window on your computer and record from there using either the program's built in record functions or something like fraps/OBS.

They cost money, but the latter from what I've read has a free feature limited version, I don't know what features are cut back in the free version but that's probably where you want to start, Reflector should have a 7 day trial. For the most part the software for this stuff is cheap, though I think Phone Manager had what was basically a subscription where you're paying for a duration of actually getting support/updates/features, and is almost certainly not worth the price considering how cheap everything else is, if the non-paid for version has any feature limitations that get in your way, spend your money elsewhere.

If you for some reason have an old quicktime pro for windows key then you can record using the "plug poo poo in and fire up quicktime" method that works for Mac users but apple stopped selling keys for it because of apparent security vulnerabilities(according to something I read while looking into some of this stuff).

You could also look for an app that will record stuff on the phone but those aren't allowed on the app store so you'd have to look elsewhere.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I thought I had ShareX setup properly but I'm getting this when I try to test the connection:
Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path '', line 0, position 0.
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseValue()
at Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JToken.ReadFrom(JsonReader reader, JsonLoadSettings settings)
at Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JToken.Parse(String json, JsonLoadSettings settings)
at ShareX.HelpersLib.Helpers.ParseJSON(String text, String jsonPath)
at ShareX.UploadersLib.CustomUploaderItem.ParseURL(String url)
at ShareX.UploadersLib.CustomUploaderItem.ParseResponse(UploadResult result, Boolean isShortenedURL)
at ShareX.UploadersLib.ImageUploaders.CustomImageUploader.Upload(Stream stream, String fileName)

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Best guess? Whatever you're testing the connection on isn't sending back valid JSON. (And since it starts with a "<", it's probably an HTML page.)

Without knowing what you're uploading to, that's the best I can say.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Xenoveritas posted:

Best guess? Whatever you're testing the connection on isn't sending back valid JSON. (And since it starts with a "<", it's probably an HTML page.)

Without knowing what you're uploading to, that's the best I can say.
Just trying to upload to lpix using these settings:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

Just trying to upload to lpix using these settings:

Make sure it actually uses your correct username and password for Lpix in the Arguments box in the center.

Also, you can click the Show Last Response button in the lower right to see what the server actually responded with, it may have some additional clues to the error.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
More weird tech stuff (I managed to isolate my own audio, so yay).

I've been trying to encode an episode of my LP using premiere pro, frameserver and MEGUI. It's been absolutely fine and has worked for two sequences on the current project I have up. For the third sequence, I start up frameserver, point MEGUI at it and things are fine until it hits around 67% at which point it just stops encoding. MEGUI appears to still be running fine as I can abort if I want to, but it stops encoding extra frames and will just stay at that point forever.

I'm at a loss as to what's wrong. It's not a huge deal as I can probably just export the sequence to a new project and encode again, or at worst just remake the sequence, but I'd like to at least try to understand what's going on.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

nielsm posted:

Make sure it actually uses your correct username and password for Lpix in the Arguments box in the center.

Also, you can click the Show Last Response button in the lower right to see what the server actually responded with, it may have some additional clues to the error.
Yeah, I reverted it back to a default to take a screenshot but otherwise it should be correct. And this is what gets spit out from the 'show last response':

<html>
<body>
<pre>
API Documentation:

Send a POST request as multipart/form-data encoded to https://lpix.org/api

Put the file as parameter 'file' and set these other parameters as appropriate:
* username - duh
* password - also duh
* gallery - the name of the gallery you want to put the files in
* output - json, text, html or xml. The contents are the same just formatted to one of those

The return output will either be an error code or contain the location of the image, e.g json output:

{
"err": null,
"hash": "md5sum",
"filename": "filename.jpg",
"imageurl": "https://lpix.org/12345/filename.jpg",
"thumburl": "https://lpix.org/t/12345/filename.jpg",
"shorturl": "https://lpix.org/12345/filename.jpg"
}

The error codes are:

* err1 - Error uploading the file, maybe missing filename or bad POST request
* err2 - Authentication failure
* err3 - File isn't recognised as an image or MP3
* err4 - File is too large
* err5 - Reserved
* err6 - Server is down for maintenance, try again later
</pre>
</body>
</html>

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

It seems like it only gives you that content if you use GET rather than POST. Can you double-check what you have set for 'Request type' in your real settings?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

As far as I can tell in the custom loader settings the 'Request Type' is set to 'POST'.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So, I have a bit of an issue. I've been using what's called a StarTech device to record my videos. It worked fine for the Wii, but when I try to use it to record my Nintendo 64, I get the video below as a result.

Test Video.

Nothing I do to change the settings on StreamCatcher seems to resolve the issue, I can never get it to show the full screen. What am I doing wrong here?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Trying to record an N64...

The problem is that old consoles like the N64, SNES, and NES output a signal that isn't quite ... to spec. It outputs a 240p signal which is not a real thing.

If you aren't already using a component signal it's your best bet, but you probably are, and I don't really have a solution. The best I've done in the past with an old Hauppauge and a PlayStation was keep retrying until it randomly worked.

Speed Demo Archives seems to think that you're screwed and may have to try an older recorder.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Xenoveritas posted:

Trying to record an N64...

The problem is that old consoles like the N64, SNES, and NES output a signal that isn't quite ... to spec. It outputs a 240p signal which is not a real thing.

If you aren't already using a component signal it's your best bet, but you probably are, and I don't really have a solution. The best I've done in the past with an old Hauppauge and a PlayStation was keep retrying until it randomly worked.

Speed Demo Archives seems to think that you're screwed and may have to try an older recorder.

Sadly I just don't have the cash to buy something like that right now. I mean, I'd prefer to record from the console itself, but I'll use an emulator if I have to. Should I just do that?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It's almost certainly going to be easier. There are ways to record off a hardware N64, but chances are, they're going to involve money. (The other method is to buy something that specifically converts 240p to something your capture device does support. But it still involves buying hardware.)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm planning to do a LP of an old game which is infamous for being unable to run properly on modern systems. Luckily, GoG.com has relaunched it and with a bit of tweaking seems stable enough to play. My idea is to do a screenshot-based LP because the gameplay itself is long and somewhat tedious, also I don't know anything about video editing.

I've been testing Irfanview and works well, but I want to simultaneously record video of my gameplay segments to keep track, take some screenshots I might have missed and make some gifs. Which screen recorder do you recommend? I'm looking for something simple, I'm not going to upload the videos anywhere and I don't want the game to crash.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm planning to do a LP of an old game which is infamous for being unable to run properly on modern systems. Luckily, GoG.com has relaunched it and with a bit of tweaking seems stable enough to play. My idea is to do a screenshot-based LP because the gameplay itself is long and somewhat tedious, also I don't know anything about video editing.

I've been testing Irfanview and works well, but I want to simultaneously record video of my gameplay segments to keep track, take some screenshots I might have missed and make some gifs. Which screen recorder do you recommend? I'm looking for something simple, I'm not going to upload the videos anywhere and I don't want the game to crash.

I'd use OBS. Set it to record your monitor or game window and you should be good to go. It's also free and fairly easy to use.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The best answer depends on the game and how it's run. Some GOG games run inside of DOSBox and DOSBox has its own built-in video recorder you can use.

OBS can work, but it might create poor quality screenshots depending on the compression used and the type of game being recorded.

The best answer really depends on what screens in the game look like. The smaller and simpler the screens, the more important it is to take lossless screenshots. If there's a lot of text, lossless screenshots can become more important as well.

So there's no way to give a "right answer" without more information.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
ElGato HD60 users: Are you getting a crash on opening the software? I just downloaded that Creator update from Microsoft and a new version of the software and now it won't open at all. I've moved back a couple versions and I get the same results of: Elgato Game Capture HD has stopped working.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Elgato's working fine for me at least. Wonder what's going on there.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Isn't there a set of Avisynth functions a goon made for more easily working with moving around DS footage? It doesn't seem to be in the OP and I can't recall where I saw it being linked.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
https://github.com/Chromatophore/MDS, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That's it. Thanks.