Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

bisousbisous posted:

I've used both xSplit and OBS and OBS is better by a mile.
It's less cumbersome, less clunky, and way cleaner looking. It also doesn't eat your cpu for breakfast. OBS is so much simpler and easier to use.

Not to mention that XSplit stores your twitch login serverside and recently had their database compromised. Oops! MushMan has informed me that they learned their lesson and no longer do this.

Just about the only reason to use XSplit is if you're stubborn and still on WinXP since OBS is DirectX10.

Mico fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
If it's JUST the two of you, you could probably do Skype screensharing, that's relatively low-lag.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

cKnoor posted:

If it's 1080P then it's not interlaced, the P stands for progressive which means that there is no interlace on the video to begin with.

As far as I know there are no console games nor PCs games that are in 1080i natively. So unless you're up-scaling something from a SD resolution then interlacing shouldn't be an issue.

What version of Premiere are you using? I any case Field options should be set to none, you only use the other options when using videos from certain type of video cameras. It's not used to game footage.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 can both output 1080i footage.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

FutureFriend posted:

Yo guys, is there a way I can link audio playback devices to eachother without using Virtual Audio Cable? Whenever I use Virtual Audio Cable it just tunes in this crackle for my recordings.

Windows "Listen to this device" feature is probably a good place to start.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I'm not sure what you mean. Mine has no delay on the passthrough. Unless you're trying to play the game off the preview window in Hauppage Record in which case you should not have bought an external capture device.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
RemoteJoy Lite loves to crash, be advised. On my 2000 it crashes if I leave the capture window up on my computer during a transition between game and system menu and vice versa. If it crashes I will be unable to get any video out of RJL.exe unless I reboot my entire computer.

Also at this point the chance of bricking your PSP installing custom firmware is basically impossible. It's braindead simple now. Check out the PSP Homebrew thread in games if you have any questions about it.

Mico fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 13, 2013

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The only way I could feasibly see that working is if you had a second computer with the capture card in it with the first computer running the game running its video output to it.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Fionordequester posted:

EDIT: BTW though, why does the MeGUI guide advise you to use a fake email when downloading Nero AAC?

The same reason you'd provide a fake email when downloading itunes. Because you don't want to get emails from them.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mega64 posted:

I like this little AviSynth macro that uses ImageMagick to automatically create a GIF. Just Trim to the frames you're capturing, then do the Macro (Speed: 1, Optimize Checked) and it'll spit out an optimized GIF. Handy if you're already taking screenshots in AvsPmod already.

I prefer doing GIFs in photoshop because I can do more manual optimization that way.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Ciaphas posted:

How do I want to go about opening the output of a Shadowplay-recorded video in AviSynth? I've tried DirectShowSource() but that loses the audio, FFMpegSource2() just causes MeGUI (or Media Player Classic, for that matter) to freeze up forever, and FFAudioSource()+FFVideoSource()+AudioDub() causes audio to fall out of sync.

Secondary question, this is all for uploading to Youtube, which I'm led to understand does horrible things if the source video isn't 30 FPS. Is ChangeFPS() the function I want?
Have you tried just a plain old Avisource()? Also DirectShowSource() is bad and should only be used when literally nothing else will work.
For the framerate thing it actually doesn't matter that much anymore but yeah ChangeFPS(30) is where you wanna be probably.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Hmm... The only other thing I can think of is to install MediaInfo and post what it says about the video file. It might be a weird codec or something that's loving poo poo up.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

ChaosArgate posted:

So recently, my mic's been acting up and producing an annoying humming noise whenever my laptop's AC adapter is plugged in. If I play around with the cables for a bit, I can get the noise to stop until I turn my laptop off and then turn it back on; is there any way I can just stop the humming in general? If it's any help, I'm using a TekNmotion TM-YB100A headset and my laptop is plugged into a power strip shared by my 3DS charger and two apple USB plugs.

Sadly, I am probably the only other person in LP that's owned this headset and I haven't encountered this problem. (Mostly due to owning a desktop)

I really like the YB100A too it's comfortable and it has a full motion microphone. I just wish it was USB instead of 3.5mm

If I had to guess I'd say it's a grounding issue but I'm in no way sure how to fix that.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I've got kind of a specific problem. I'm trying to record Deus Ex (the original) using Fraps, and while I'd like to show off all the nice things Kentie's DirectX 10 mod adds to the engine, when I select it as the renderer all Fraps can record is the sound and a blank screen regardless of how I fiddle around with the preferences. Fraps works fine when I select the normal DirectX renderer, so I know I can at least LP the game normally (along with a very nice texture pack I also found), but those screenshots on Kentie's website sure insinuate that I'm missing something here. Thoughts?

There was a windows update I had to uninstall to get fraps to record the windows desktop. Not the exact same problem, but worth a try at least? It was KB2670838 that I had to uninstall.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I would like to point out that splitting the signal degrades quality unless you get a powered splitter. With Component you could probably get away with it but it's especially noticeable for SD sources like Composite and S-Video.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

frozentreasure posted:

Whenever people talk about splitting AV signals, I get confused. Maybe it's different in America, but in Australia, SD TVs would have composite OUT ports as well as IN, which lets me plug the console (or my switch box) composite cables into the TV directly, then a male/male composite lead from the TV to my capture device. If TVs in not-Australia have those, they'll work just the same; no need to degrade the signal with a splitter or create any sort of passthrough delay or whatever.

Are you saying TV's down under have their own passthrough because that's loving crazy to me.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
It'd probably be easier to see what you're doing if you kept it zoomed in on the important stuff.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

vibratingsheep posted:

Does anyone have experience trying to repair corrupted MP4 files caused by an Xsplit crash? I had really unfortunate crash at the end of a 3-hour session, and I wasn't streaming so I don't even have a ghetto FLV to work off of, either.

I looked into Video Repair Tool, but that appears to be more focused on cameras and not on, say, video game capture.

I have tried this actually.

I can tell you that no matter what you try your video file is probably lost forever.

Even using a hex editor to transfer the header from a working mp4 to the corrupted one yielded me nothing.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I am always in need of more stupid transitions.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Avermedia's fuckin weird about that. I've gotten my SNES to work but not my N64.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I can't see a difference between the two. But I also can't tell if it is really lowering my resolution to 480p... like it takes so long for it to switch over that it looks like it just stays at 720p even if I switch it.

Moving up from 240->360->480 seems to make a difference, until I use 720, then everything stays really sharp.

I don't know though, hopefully someone else can chime in. I almost want to say the video is so short it doesn't give youtube time to actually rerender it?

Edit: Is it possible to crop only sections of video with avisynth? Red Alert 2 has square videos if I have it set to 1024x768, but the game space is full screen. Admittedly, I just learned how to program with it today so I might be just missing something obvious.

The only work around I could see is creating an AVS for the video sections and importing it to the master AVS at the end of the chain.

Yes, though you'd need to resize that section otherwise you'll just be frustrated by a Frame Splice error.

For example, say that your video is 1024x768, and the cutscenes run with a black border around them.

What you'd do is like this sorta

Gameplay1= Trim(0,1000) (substitute for your frame numbers here)
Cutscene1= Trim(1001,2000).Crop(20,20,-20,-20).Spline64Resize(1024,768) (replace the 20's with how many pixels you need to chop from each side. it goes left, top, right, bottom in that order)
Gameplay2= Trim(2001,3000)
Gameplay1++cutscene1++gameplay2

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Run a defrag on your hard drive overnight and see if that helps. If it's trying to write to multiple areas of your hard drive at once because that's where the empty space is, that could cause a performance hit.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Hey this is a shot in the dark (Dish is probably the only one who might actually have it) but does anyone have libvo-aacenc-0.dll

I kind of need it to render my stupid insistence on HTML5 compliant video. It's up and vanished from my computer for whatever loving reason.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
That solved the problem, but led me to a new problem where avconv.exe just says it was unable to start.

I'm not sure what the deal is though. I'm not making an aac file, I'm making an ogg vorbis file.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Nevermind, I managed to solve it. Libav just got totally hosed somehow and downloading the latest nightly build seems to have fixed it.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

ChaosArgate posted:

It doesn't have any way to record PS3 HDMI footage, but it does have a cable that goes directly to the component out of the PS3/PS4.

Speaking of the Elgato, I'm having some really nasty desync issues with it. Does anyone have any insight as to why? I've tried recording my PC and my PS3 and they both desync, so I don't know if its the source.

The PVR2 comes with a PS3 component cable as well. I already had one though so it's just kind of sitting in a box in my living room.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I've gotten OBS recordings to open up in Avisynth via the FFMpegSource2 plugin with no issues.

You can then open that script in Virtualdub or MeGUI and convert to whatever you want.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mortimer posted:

It would be nice for games like Alan Wake or Outlast, spooky games basically. Sound is a big part of it. Plus watching it mute gets really boring.

If you're trying to preserve atmosphere, group commentary kind of ruins that so the point is moot.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

chocolatekake posted:

I found FFMpegSource2, but it was just a separate script not a plugin (at least as far as I understand plugins, which is probably wrong). I put it in the plugins folder. But I'm still lost on how to actually open the file using it. Are Virtualdub and MeGUI the only things I can open the script with? The tech support wiki made it seem like I could do it with Media Player Classic, but it gives me an error message, so it seems like it's trying to do something, but that I've messed up. I'm brand new to scripts and Avisynth and I was trying to follow the tech support wiki, but I'm still pretty confused.

Okay so here's what you do.

LoadPlugin("ffms2.dll")
v= FFVideoSource("recording.mp4")
a= FFAudiosource("recording.mp4")
Audiodub(v,a)

It will take a while the first time you open the script, it has to index the MP4 before being able to read it so if Virtualdub hangs, just let it do it's thing for a few.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Talkin about TS files and Hauppage Capture.

You can remux the TS files with MeGUI fairly painlessly. HD Streams Extractor (.264 and .aac) -> MP4 Muxer = Readable file!

Mico fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 3, 2014

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

mateo360 posted:

So what would goons recommend for someone who got a copyright strike and can now no longer upload videos longer then 15 mins. I have gone ahead and created a new gmail and youtube account for the future but I really don't want to do a massive re-upload of the currently run thread and changing all the urls.

Well, don't. As far as I know it doesnt make your older videos longer than 15 minutes unavailable. Just use the new account for the new videos and leave the old ones where they are.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

chocolatekake posted:

I suppose I didn't mention that I was using MPC-HC to try and play it and that's where I got the error. Also I installed MPC separately and the video is 1280x720 so I don't think that's an issue for me.

Try opening the script in VirtualDub. If it opens in Vdub you can save it as an avi in whatever codec you want and then subsequently use that avi in camtasia.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
If you know roughly where the video is supposed to end, append a Trim(0, real ending frame number) to the end of the script.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Psion posted:

While we're at it, I see fpsnum=30 and I've seen ChangeFPS(30) ... is there a real reason to use one over the other?

FPSnum actually does nothing without FPSden. They're numerator and denominator, FPS is stored as a fraction in video files.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Technically, fpsnum=30 lets the source filter handle the conversion while reading the file from disk into the script, while ChangeFPS(30) lets Avisynth handle the conversion after the file has already been loaded. In practice, this makes no difference if your video file has a constant framerate, but makes a big difference when the video file has a variable framerate, since by not providing the parameter Avisynth will assume that all frames in the video have a constant duration -- because Avisynth does not support variable framerates.

Holy poo poo if my AverMedia card was still hooked up to a working computer this might have solved my audio desync issues.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Soundcloud is my go-to audio hosting solution.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

PAMaster posted:

Elgato just does that black border poo poo. Probably forgot to crop it, but the footage looks... a bit artefacted? Is that a word? I can pause at 16 seconds and Link's arm has visible jagged pixels.

I imagine this is because he's playing a Wii game on the WiiU.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
do not buy an ezcap under any circumstances

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I've found that the settings for DirectShow h264 and VFW h264 aren't quite exactly the same. I have to turn down the CRF to 18 in the VFW version to get quality that I would get from 22 on the DirectShow encoder.

Alternately, why are you using VFW h264 via VDub at all rather than using MeGUI or whatever.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Hauppage Capture is about 400x better than Arcsoft Showbiz ever was.

But yeah trying to stream with it is a nightmare.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
This is kind of a shot in the dark but I'm in the market for a new headset and I'm wondering if anyone has used the CAD U2 Headset? If so I could do with some opinions because it's exactly what I'm looking for on paper. Relatively inexpensive, full motion gooseneck microphone, circumaural, usb, and not wireless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mico posted:

This is kind of a shot in the dark but I'm in the market for a new headset and I'm wondering if anyone has used the CAD U2 Headset? If so I could do with some opinions because it's exactly what I'm looking for on paper. Relatively inexpensive, full motion gooseneck microphone, circumaural, usb, and not wireless.

OK So I went ahead and bought this and it's comfortable and the sound quality is good but there seems to be some interference coming from somewhere on the microphone. I remember reading a while back about grounding issues causing that? Anyone able to go into a bit more detail on why exactly that is or better yet how to fix it?