Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

I used to have two presets in MeGUI - one for SD video and one for HD video. When I encoded 480p video with the SD settings, it would look horrible on Youtube, so I went with the prevailing advice at the time and double-sized to 1280x960 using the HD settings. One time, I forgot to resize (or rather, didn't bother because I didn't care about the quality of the video I was uploading) and left the settings at HD quality because it had been so long since I'd used SD video, and the 480p version on Youtube looked fine. Maybe it's because of changes they made to their encoder since the last time I tried it, but perhaps just having higher quality in the source video made the difference.

Yep. My inside source at YouTube tells me that their encoding pipeline changed in April. It used to be that they needed the legacy SD pipeline for ContentID matches, but the ContentID algorithm has gotten a lot better, and they have since removed it. The "upscale to 720p" step shouldn't be necessary -- it all goes through the HD pipeline now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
No. All content goes through the HD pipeline now, regardless of vertical resolution. Note that encoders might do a better job with an upscaled video, so you might see a difference between an upscaled video and a source video, but it shouldn't be as drastic as before.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also, about OBS: use it. It started as a free replacement for Xsplit, so it copies its interface a lot. If you're familiar with Xsplit, it should be fairly easy to switch over.

It's also improving every day. The dude behind it is also getting funding from major streams and streaming networks who are using it in place of Xsplit in their setup now, so there's a steady stream of features, and he's promised that there will always be a free version available.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's being played back in 360p quality for me, with no 480p option available. That's why it's so lovely.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm on the HTML5 player, and it doesn't offer 480p for me. Let me go back to my source and ask him a few more questions.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is there an app for Virtual Audio Cable that allows me to have profiles set up and multiple repeaters in one window, rather than having to individually set up four or five VAC repeaters each time? I feel like that would make VAC a lot more bearable for me.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The AverMedia card I have has a legit no-delay passthrough. Too bad it stinks at recording stuff.

Has anybody played around with the new AverMedia devices?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Captain Walker posted:

As a point of curiosity, was 2D still screen capture (not video) from a 3DS XL ever possible? Did the guy who enabled the Kid Icarus LP or a competitor expand to the XL at any point? I'm about to sell mine and deleted my eShop account and all I own in the process but I was just curious.

There's a competitor: http://www.3dsvideocapture.com/product-list/4

It's listed as a "kit", but you can tell him to assemble it for free.

EDIT: sorry, just noticed that the demo image is a gratuitous pantyshot image. The device works, though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
vapoursynth doesn't do audio. That's why we can't use it for video editing yet.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Do you need to go to Miiverse? Can you not pull it off of the SD card it saves to?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh, I thought the Miiverse was a separate app that would close whatever game you were running, and this added something to the hypervisor so that pressing L+R allowed you to take screenshots that you could post later.

Nevermind.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is it an actual audio CD? If so, use EAC to rip it, and then transcode it into MP3 using Foobar2000.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
x264. Use MeGUI, as detailed in the OP.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
He lives!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
OBS was designed as an "Xsplit replacement". It's being funded by a lot of streamers who formerly used Xsplit, so it should be pretty familiar.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

There's smug and wrong, and then there's being exactly right. Also yeah have fun with your garbage hitbox and broken twitch.

I'd love to help you, but you gotta stop this poo poo. You're being insufferable right now.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Game Capture bug happens to some games in Xsplit too. It's basically because of the way the Direct3D APIs are programmed that makes it hard to accurately figure out the extents of the surface.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

Does OBS support DX8?

Apparently not, looking at the source code.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
A while back in old of the old threads I swore I posted a Star Wipe thing for AviSynth, but I can't find it anymore. Can anybody help me search through the old threads for it? I'm lazy and don't want to rebuild it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I actually don't think I posted it anywhere. I found the video I used it on, and I deleted the script locally from my hard disk.

I'll just remake it. Shouldn't be too hard. If anybody wants me to post it afterwards, post and I'll see what I can do.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

I don't have the drive to show off my games anymore.

Good news, then! NewEgg just emailed me letting me know that their daily deal is a TOSHIBA 2TB external drive. I have 1TB from the same line from a few years ago, and it's quite solid, so it's got a recommendation from me. I am running out of hard drive space, so I'm going to pick this one up as well. Quite cheap!

EDIT:

Mico posted:

I am always in need of more stupid transitions.

I'll have it ready in a few hours. Just fighting with AviSynth right now. It's going to take a PNG as a mask, so you can make the "star" any shape you want! How's that for stupid transitions! Exclamation marks!!

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 18, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Here's my dumb transition.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UryuSezgLs

code:
function _MaskZoomInWorker(clip a, clip b, clip mask_, float t) {
    w = Max(mask_.Width * t * 5, 4)
    h = Max(mask_.Height * t * 5, 4)

x = int((a.Width - w) / 2)
    y = int((a.Height - h) / 2)

mask_scaled = mask_.BilinearResize(int(w), int(h))
    plate = BlankClip(a)
    mask_plated = plate.Layer(mask_scaled, "add", 256, x, y)

b_masked = b.Mask(mask_plated)
    return a.Layer(b_masked, "add")
}

function MaskZoomIn(clip a, clip b, clip mask_, int duration) {
    a = a.Trim(0, duration).ConvertToRGB32()
    b = b.Trim(0, duration).ConvertToRGB32()
    mask_ = mask_.Trim(0, duration).ConvertToRGB32()

anim = a.Animate(0, duration, "_MaskZoomInWorker", b, mask_, 0.0, b, mask_, 1.0)
    anim = anim.ConvertToYV12()
    return anim
}
Use like:

code:
giraffe1 = ImageSource("giraffe1.jpg", fps=60, end=240).ConvertToYV12()
giraffe2 = ImageSource("giraffe2.jpg", fps=60, end=240).ConvertToYV12()

star_mask = ImageSource("StarMask.png", fps=60, end=240)

wow_such_a_video = giraffe1 ++ MaskZoomIn(giraffe1, giraffe2, star_mask, 60) ++ giraffe2
giraffe1 and giraffe2 can be any videos you want. StarMask.png:

All the masks used in this video to give you ideas: http://imgur.com/a/2rujD

If anybody has any questions or problems using this, go ahead and ask them.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
After Effects would be the easiest. You'd have to go through frame by frame and build a mask for the clips. I've done a sloppy job for this in a few hours in After Effects, it's not too difficult, just really tedious and time consuming.

The designer that did those opening credits also cheated a bit by applying a black drop shadow or glow around the frame, which allows you to be a lot more sloppy with the mask and have it still look good:

Look at the path around that hair at the bottom. So sloppy. Still looks OK in motion, though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
TV signals have no standards. You just have to emit scanlines every once in a while. Instead of interlacing even/odd fields though, N64 and other early consoles simply always pushed even fields to the display.

Most digitizing hardware should be able to deal with this.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Well, it's an AverMedia card.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I got my N64 to work with the AverMedia card, before I moved. Now, after I moved, it won't budge.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mortimer posted:

How does one stream/live commentary with another person over the internet? If you try something like hitbox the delay isn't too horrible, but the person in say, a skype call with you can't have the stream's audio on, otherwise they hear you through both the stream and through skype. Is the only way to have the co-commentator mute their skype and listen to everything through the stream? Or is there another way I'm not thinking of?

Just have them mute the stream audio. Does it really matter whether they can hear the game or not?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ugh. Has anyone been able to figure out a good way to get around YouTube's ContentID thing? I've cropped, flipped, and pitch shifted this video and it still complains. The video is blocked in all countries.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Slowbeef posted:

Dispute the claim, wait a month worked for me, but it was an invalid match and the claimant didn't pursue.

Is it a valid match? For me, it was an audio thing and they pointed to the specific portion that it matched. Maybe try muting it as a test and see if you still have it?

It is a valid match, yes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

PAMaster posted:

Dunno if there's anywhere else that I'd ask this, but is there a goon streaming thread?

Yes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

This is after I pitch shifted and cropped it. Other users on YouTube have uploaded the same scene, so they must have worked around it somehow.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Dolphin also does antialiasing and a bunch of other tricks. It's not a fair comparison to the Wii — it emulates a superpowered Wii GPU with a bunch of added features.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Arial Black? lol. Don't let anything but Neue Helvetica 25 Ultra Light graze your eyes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't ever think it was a "video host", just a generic file host. I often had co-commentators and people involved in races upload their video/audio to Minus if they didn't want to use Dropbox. Now I recommend that they use MEGA.

Minus also used to be "the social uploader" and try and email me "people who are uploading files that you might like to follow" every week. I also have uploaded no public files, but I seem to have accumulated over 100 followers, I assume because they sent out my account to random people in those emails for some reason and they just clicked "Follow".

I sent the CEO an angry email about it in 2012:

me posted:

Is there an opportunity to turn off the social networking stuff?
Apparently after uploading no public files, I have 22 followers. I
don't know why. Are they are all spammers, or did your recommendation
algorithm recommend me to them? Why did it recommend me?

I use Minus as a way to share private files with friends. It's easy
and quick to do so. I do not use it to network. It is not easy or
quick to do so. I already have too many other "social networks" and
communication tools to manage. The world does not need another.

I do not see social networking being a viable part of your service or
business. The basic idea I see in Minus is "here's a way to upload
files to the web", not "here's a way to share potentially private
files with random spammers or algorithm-suggested 'friends' that I
have never met".

I do not want followers in this type of service.

john posted:

Thanks Jasper

Unfortunately the direction we are moving is towards more publishing and uploading to share your content on your profiles with feed/explore being part of the Minus core. The private file sharing aspect will be going away soon and more focuses on media types, not files (zip etc..) Hope you understand and give it a shot.

Cheers

Best Regards,
John Xie
Co-Founder
http://minus.com | http://john.minus.com
http://blog.minus.com | @mindotus

I haven't used or recommend Minus since then. I hope what the CEO realizes is that nobody particularly cares what hentai videos or excel spreadsheets your friends are uploading today. Files are unimportant garbage, we just need to get them from point A to point B.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure what you updated, but '1GB file size upload limit' still ain't right.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

Subtract the Distance! Minus is a revolutionary chat and photo experience that lets you travel the world and meet new friends.

Life is full of surprises and you never know who you will meet on Minus! Fly around the world in the palm of your hand. We want to less the distance between strangers, and bring people closer together through chat and photos.

what the gently caress does this mean

quote:

We wanted to offer the simplest possible sharing service. The first prototype for Minus was inspired by Glen Murphy's design and launched on October 13th, 2010.

great mission statement, glad to see you're still following up on it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

I finally am ready to start doing my next LP after a long hiatus and wanted to pick up some real video editing software and stop using avisynth in notepad. Any recommendations?

You mean something like Final Cut, Premiere, After Effects, Avid?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The default scaler is bilinear in MPC. Press "O", to to Playback => Output, then look for Resizer near the bottom right and select "Nearest Neighbor" from the dropdown.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Might as well link the source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3shHgxx6bU