Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'd like to be able to stream ps3 but I don't wanna spend ~$150 on an actual good capture device. Can anyone recommend one of these cheap sd capture devices? I've looked up a couple but I have no idea if they'd actually be good, and apparently clones and fakes are not uncommon. Also, would using allow me to output to my TV and computer (I understand if you output directly to your computer there will be a bad lag).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Does anyone have experience with using ezcap.tv capture device? I'm looking into that since I want to stream ps3 but can't really afford an hd capture device (and I don't have an hd TV so it'd be useless anyway).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EntranceJew posted:

The quality of your TV does not influence the quality of the stream or recording for others.

I'd have to purchase other things if I wanted to stream in HD and still output to my TV in SD, wouldn't I? Regardless, I'm not willing to spend 150-200 on a capture device.

Mico posted:

do not buy an ezcap under any circumstances

Why not? From doing research, it seems to be ideal for me so long as I'm careful to get the legit one and not a knockoff. I've come across goon posts recommending it, and I've seen videos of captured footage on youtube and the quality looks fine.

e:

ChaosArgate posted:

How much are you willing to spend? Here's one that's around $40 and from a reputable brand.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036VO2BI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_zMuatb002V7PX

That's within my willing to spend price and it's about the same price as the ezcap. Thanks for the tip.

e: If I were to use that, what cables would I need to output the ps3 to both TV and laptop?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 17, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

How would I go about getting images from a raw video file for doing a screenshot LP? There don't seem to be any guides on doing this, and I'm hoping there's some trickery I can do with Avisynth so I don't have to use Irfanview to take pictures of the video.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tendales posted:

Use AvsPmod. One of its hotkeys is to save the current frame. If you bind that to enter, you can just scroll through the video file to find the images you want, and mash enter to save the images. Since it names the files by frame, you don't even need to care about taking the screenshots in order.

Thanks!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tendales posted:

Use AvsPmod. One of its hotkeys is to save the current frame. If you bind that to enter, you can just scroll through the video file to find the images you want, and mash enter to save the images. Since it names the files by frame, you don't even need to care about taking the screenshots in order.

I finally got around to looking at this, and I can't seem to find where this hotkey is in the shortcut list.

e: Oh wait I think I found the one you meant; add/remove bookmark, right?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 31, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If you want to stream without a bad delay just use Hitbox. It can be a bit glitchy but the delay's only 5-10 seconds, as opposed to Twitch's 30+.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I have a question about elgato. I tried recording. First video I recorded worked fine, but with the second game capture HD crashed after I pressed stop, and it does not appear to have saved the footage as a .ts or .mp4 file (but my hard drive is still missing the space from how much that recording would take up). Anyone know why it may be crashing or if it would be possible to recover that footage?

e: Nvm it just spat them out in a letter named with some sort of string (that or I just overlooked the folder due to how it was named).

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 14, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sometimes elgato crashes and doesn't encode the .ts files into an .mp4. Which would be fine but whenever I try to edit the .ts files in avisynth (using both FFmpegsource and Directshowsource) there ends up being audio desync in the final product. Anyone else have this issue and/or know a way to fix it?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a common problem, yeah. Premiere tends to do this too when you have to resort to inputing .ts source files into it. The only semi-viable way to fix is (that I know of), is to manually resynch the audio with the video by splitting the A/V tracks and manually adjusting them. HOWEVER, audio desynchs in Elgato source videos tend to be progressive, so you'll need to go through the whole thing and pretty much micromanage its audio synchronicity. Over all, it's a massive pain in the rear end and the one thing I hate about the otherwise stellar Elgato.

Depending on how bad it gets, I'd actually be more inclined to recommend "scrap the footage, rerecord, and pray it doesn't gently caress up again" as your solution, as lovely as that sounds.

Xenoveritas posted:

I'm curious if this is the same audio problem I had with FFMpegSource earlier.

See if you can salvage something with FFMpeg directly, although note that involves running it directly from the command line.

(Oh, and as I discovered the hard way, 32-bit WAVs stop working if you break the 2GB mark, so you might need to try something like FLAC instead.)

Ugh that loving sucks. I'll try the command line thing, see if that does anything.

e: It didn't work. Oh well.

There's no way to make game capture spit out an mp4 if it crashes, is there? From some googling there doesn't appear to be, but I want to double check in case this ever happens again.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 27, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone know why I'm having this issue with Dxtory? I'm trying to record with x264 to save space, but when I start recording either the game freezes, or it appears to work but records the video with a framerate of 0, and when I stop the recording the FPS counter stays orange as if it were still recording.

Checking zero latency seemed to make it stop, but resulted in a video file with a really bad framerate.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but anyone have recommendations for a headset equal in quality to the Playstation Silver one? One where the band connecting the earpads is adjustable so it doesn't squeeze my head/eventually crack.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

A question about the PointResize filter in Avisynth. From what I understand, if you increase the resolution by a decimal as opposed to an integer, then it can affect the quality of the footage. Does this hold true if you increase the resolution by a decimal but the aspect ratio is the same? I'm asking because I'm recording an RPGmaker game so the default resolution is 544x416, and I'd rather up it to 1280x960 rather than 1088x832.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mico posted:

I ran into this problem with cooking mama, my solution was I would Point Resize the DS footage up to 512x768 and then Spline64Resize back down to 480x720 so that youtube wouldn't chew it up.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Because of the way point resize works, yes it would gently caress it up, doubly so for things like pixel art and text. Bite the bullet and go for the weird resolution.

The trick of point resizing above your intended resolution the using a fancier filter to downsize it works better for things where a little fuzziness won't hurt the final product too much.

Cool, thanks for the prompt answers. It's hard to find good information about this stuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm having trouble with my elgato. It works just fine when it's just plugged in to my computer, but when I activate the Game Capture HD app it constantly disconnects and reconnects. This happens regardless of what USB port I use. I've tried reinstalling both the drivers and the app itself.

e: Nvm, turned out to be an issue with the USB cable.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 3, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Huh, commentary I recorded in audacity ended up with a gradual desync. Anyone know why that might have happened?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

I have a couple of ideas. What exactly are you doing? Are you commentating over a pre-recorded video or are you commentating live? And did your commentary become earlier or later?

In either case the answer is likely that one recording lagged while the other didn't. If you're recording from different devices it's also possible to have clock skew introduced that way as they'll be operating off different clocks. (Different devices in this case means like a USB headset and game audio.) Professional recording devices that keep everything in sync get, well, kind of crazy - it's a harder problem than you might think!

How to fix it depends on exactly what the problem is but the short answer may end up being "you can't."

I was doing live commentary, and my commentary ended up becoming later.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

I need more than that. Are we talking a couple of seconds over several hours? If that's the case, you're probably screwed and it's just clock skew.

Yeah, the commentary ends up being several seconds after the video footage towards the end of the video, when it's synced up just fine at the beginning of the video.

quote:

It's also possible that the live game recording skipped frames at some point so that you're going out of sync because frames are just missing, effectively causing the game recording to "skip ahead." In that case, you're likely screwed unless you can figure out what's causing frames to be lost and how to fix it.

Depending on how bad it is, you may be able to get away with just stretching the audio to match the video. There's a guide to doing that on the TSF wiki.

Yeah I've tried that, and some parts end up synced while others are not (e.g. I can get it synced up for a few minutes at a certain point, but before and after that it will still be desynced). I'll probably try chopping the commentary up into segments and fiddling with them as needed to make them fit.

I'm not so much looking for ways to fix it as reasons as to why it might have happened, so it doesn't happen again. My recording setup is the same, aside from me using a new microphone (used to use a Playstation Silver Headset, now I'm using a Blue Snowball mic).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone have recommendations for a headset with a decent quality mic? Just looking for something that I can record live commentary with and not have it sound tinny (like it does with my Snowball since I can't be close to it and look at my TV at the same time). Currently using PS silver headset but the band is broken so it's not going to last forever (plus it barely stays on my drat head).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wondering what I'm doing wrong with editing the framerate of Shadowplay recordings. What I was trying was FFMS2("video", fpsnum=60) followed by ChangeFPS(30) and it seemed to work (recorded 30 FPS game at 60 FPS), but the moment I did any other audio editing (like MixAudio with my commentary to sync the two) the game audio (and only the game) audio became desynced. I was able to get around this by using Handbrake to convert the original file to 30 FPS and then edit that, but I'd like to do it all in Avisynth if possible to cut down on overall editing time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

That's just a shadowplay thing. Shadowplay records at a variable framerate, which affects the audio playback rates as well, so unless you're editing with software that can handle variable framerates (like Sony Vegas), then you're going to need to throw things through Handbrake.

I know, but from Googling I was under the impression Avisynth could handle it as well with the proper commands. I guess not? Oh well.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Using Avisynth, what would be the best way to convert a 30 FPS video to 60 FPS? I don't want to change the footage, I just want YT to accept it as a 60 FPS video so it gets re-encoded at a higher bitrate. I'm curious how much better (or not) it'll end up looking.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cool, thanks. I can never remember which of the FPS altering functions does what.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone have any idea what could be causing YT to gently caress up my audio when uploading a video? For w/e reason, in this specific instance, it's making my commentary audio specifically sound more tinny.

e: I just messed around with the audio levels of my gameplay and commentary and that seems to have fixed the issue. Still, weird.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 21, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I ran out of hard drive space when exporting to an .mp4 with elgato, is there a way to restart the export now that I've cleared up some space? I still have all the files from the initial capture in ECG_Library.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Isn't there a set of Avisynth functions a goon made for more easily working with moving around DS footage? It doesn't seem to be in the OP and I can't recall where I saw it being linked.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That's it. Thanks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Question about using Debugmode FrameServer to encode videos edited with Sony Vegas with MeGUI. Is it supposed to take an ungodly long time? The estimated time is an hour and counting and nowhere have I seen it be mentioned that it takes ages for that step (this is before encoding with MeGUI, btw).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Is this your first time using the Frameserver?

Order of operations (windows are all shown for reference)

Sony Vegas, select part/entire timeline to render > Render As > DebugMode FrameServer > Name file whatever you want

MeGui, open and press CTRL-R > AviSynth script creator, Find file just named > Save save > check output name, queue

The window that Vegas opens up while signposting isn't important.

Thanks, that helped a bunch! Vegas still bringing up it's own rendering progress meter was making me think I was doing something wrong.