Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm planning on doing an SSLP of an old game that has a few neat "incidental" sound effects. In particular, when you launch the game there's a dude saying "TASKMAKER" over the splash screen, and I want to start every update with that sound. What's the best way to include short sound clips in an SSLP? Something the user can click on to play. Ideally it'd be directly embedded in the post, but I'm guessing the forum software doesn't support that, so what's the next-best option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I was mostly looking for service recommendations. I've seen Tindeck used for LPs in the past; shame about that "3 months without listeners" deletion policy. Anyone know if they actually follow up on that? I guess I could also just pony up the $15 for an account.

Ditto on Clyp; don't see any deletion policy there, but that doesn't mean they don't have one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Wayne posted:

Baldurk recently offered to include mp3s on LPix (still with the 2MB limit), and the "TASKMAKER!" growl at the start of each update would probably qualify. Looking forward to that, too, I only played the Shareware version. :D

Oh, sweet! That works nicely. I'll have to make some kind of banner for the sound effect links, but I think that's the big technical hurdle solved. Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
For anyone with some willingness to use more "bare" tools, ImageMagick, a commandline image processing toolkit, can also do this:
code:
convert input.png -transparent white output.png

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have a similar workflow I developed by hand that uses a bunch of Perl scripts and works on OSX, with the caveat that you need to have a webserver running on your local computer because I couldn't be bothered to figure out how to do file uploads except via URL. Generate screenshots -> name screenshots 001, 002, etc. -> upload screenshots -> download screenshot URLs from lpix -> insert URLs into update text. It's pretty hokey because I never really intended it to be used by anyone else, but if anyone's interested in trying to hack on it, let me know and I'll see if I can put something together.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

Listen to Mega64 and Admiral H. Curtiss. I've all of my SSLPs by manually taking the screenshots and manually copy/pasting portraits in threads.

I have wasted so much of my time.

:magical:

Do you write your updates directly into the new-post page, so that if you accidentally close the browser window, you lose all your work?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Wouldn't letterboxing be preferable to stretching the image, anyway?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I've poked around and didn't see any answers to this... Is there a way to bulk move images uploaded to LPix from one LPix directory to another (on the same account, of course)? Or do I get to move them one by one?

There's a massmove PHP script (I think it's lpix.org/massmove.php, but I don't have my scripts handy), where you give it the directory ID to move to and a list of image IDs to move. I don't know if there's a user-friendly way to access that script (instead of hand-inserting image IDs into the URL).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Whatever best helps you show off the game. If you're trying to demonstrate skill at the game, but use cheats, then that's dishonest, but otherwise the main thing is to make certain that they aren't intrusive. So if you're doing a video in an emulator, don't let us see you save/load state unless you're ProtonJon doing Kaizo Mario World. Fortunately emulators let you record a "clean" video that doesn't show the save/load so you can have a perfect run if you so desire.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

I don't know why but after rebooting the laptop today, I was able to record a 1080i clip with no issues, which is awesome that it worked but frightening that I have no idea why it worked. I had previously disabled flashback and stream command, and turned off auto export to MP4 for the latest recording, maybe turning off every last feature really was necessary.

If auto export was doing an encode step, then that could explain why it wasn't working previously.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

If I move a picture to another folder on LPix, does the URL (for linking in my post) stay the same?

Yes. When I do LPs I periodically mass-move images from the default folder to a new sub-folder just so the default folder doesn't take forever to load, and it doesn't break my existing updates.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Take a screenshot of the YouTube video, blow 'em both up huge, and do the comparison that way. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I use ImageMagick, which is a free commandline utility for modifying images. So if your workflow involves any programming then it might be worth looking at.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sazero posted:

Is it for a stream, or post commentary video?

They're doing a live co-op LP, so commentary is not done in post.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

What are my best options for capturing both screen output and audio on OSX? I want to capture some audio+video from ROMs running in OpenEmu and I tried using OBS for this purpose, but OBS doesn't seem to handle screen audio capturing out-of-the-box on OSX.

The problem you're running into is that OSX doesn't by default provide an input sound channel (i.e. accessible to recording devices) that is what its speakers output. Install Soundflower and it'll do that for you (splitting the speaker output into speaker output and an internal input). I've had some issues with it making the speakers pop or go mute sometimes, but the captured audio was always fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

E: in particular the part about the encoded video that I dislike is it's a pixel graphics game and it looks ugly and streaky when the character is moving quickly. Like the video equivalent of a jpg instead of a png.

I am by no means an experienced encoder, but I'd guess that what's going on here is the encoder is only recording at 30FPS while the game runs at 60FPS (or at any rate the encoder FPS is less than the game FPS), and it's smearing between frames to keep the video smooth. Check to see if there's a framerate you can set for the recording.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Didn't someone have an issue where the filename they chose was interacting weirdly with lpix somehow? Like, the exact same file but with a different name worked fine? Might be what you're hitting here. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yep. Use a URL like https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=449591907

For example, the URL for your post is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=490132730

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you're comfortable on the commandline, ImageMagick can do that. IIRC it's something like

convert -delay 25 1.png -delay 4.16 2.png -delay 4.16 3.png -delay 4.16 4.png -delay 4.16 5.png ... -delay 25 30.png -delay 4.16 29.png -delay 4.16 28.png ... out.gif

The delay is given in centiseconds (hundredths of a second) and unfortunately as far as I can tell has to be specified for every individual frame if you want a variable-framerate GIF.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Peanut Butler posted:

oh cool, I'll give it a try, thanks!!

lol I might be writin a python script to generate an imagemagick command line, thats nutty lol

I have absolutely done that with Perl before. poo poo like
perl -e '$c="convert "; foreach(`ls *png`){chomp; $c += " -delay 10 \"$_\""} $c += " out.gif"; `$c`'

That's just a fixed delay, and it's possible I need to double-escape the quotation marks there (which are only present in case there's spaces in the filename), but you get the idea.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is there any easy way to link posts in the OP? Trying to find a post id or something.

The "#" button on the left-hand side links to a post, but also includes the surrounding posts. If you just want to link to a single post as its own page (recommended for linking to LP updates from the OP), use a URL like this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=449959211

except replace the number after postid= with the postid from the "#" button.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Natural 20 posted:

Is the rate that you choose to use largely experimental then? What's to stop me setting the rate to the maximum possible and just not caring apart from filesize?

It's largely experimental, yeah. The necessary bitrate to get good-quality video depends on a ton of factors, including things like how similar each frame is to the next (not very similar in your case), what colors you have and how many of them there are, how sharp the lines are, etc. It's kind of like the PNG vs. JPG decision for screenshot LPs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This isn't really Let's Play related, but y'all're the densest collection of experts on video bitrates I know of so I hope you'll forgive the semi-off-topic question. I've been doing livestreams of development of my game on Twitch, and I had someone complain that when I stream during peak Twitch hours, they get the raw stream instead of a Twitch transcoding, and that exceeds what their rural bandwidth can handle. I have OBS at the default stream settings of 6000kbps. This is almost certainly excessive given that most of the time my streams are showing either a code file or the Unity editor; even in play mode the play area doesn't take up the majority of the stream.

How do I tell what an appropriate value is for the bitrate? And are there any settings I should be adjusting to improve my quality:bitrate ratio? I don't want to exclude people, but I also don't want e.g. the text in my windows to be illegible. I just have no idea how to go about picking a value or configuring OBS.

Thank you!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thank you! Sounds like there's not really a "magic bullet" so to speak, which I guess makes sense -- if there was, it'd be enabled by default. I'll play around a bit and see what looks good. I'm currently recording in .mkv but I don't have any particular attachment to that format, so knowing that x264 has relevant options is useful.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

yamiaainferno posted:

Can anyone give me some advice on batch-cropping a bunch of images to a specific region? I've been using ImageMagick to convert and resize, but I can't find documentation on how to use the command line to crop to a specific area. I've been just opening all the screenshots I need as layers in GIMP, cropping the canvas to the correct size, and saving them one by one but it's a huge pain. If anyone has a better method, please let me know.

I'm looking to crop images such as this to the marked 500x320 area. All the screenshots will be the same size and the area I want will be in the same spot, so it's a one-size-fits-all thing.

For future reference, you should be able to do this in ImageMagick as well. The command to crop the image is convert -crop 500x320+A+B, where you replace A and B with the X and Y offsets of the top-left corner of the cropped region. All you need is something that can loop over the images and do that repeatedly. If you have a Linux-like shell (cygwin or Git Bash provides this on Windows, Macs have it built-in and of course so does Linux) then you can do something like this:

ls *png | perl -ne 'chomp; s/.png//; `convert -crop 500x320+0+0 "$_.png" "$_-cropped.png"`'

That's basically saying:
code:
for each PNG file in the current directory:
  run this Perl command with the filename in the $_ variable:
    strip off the file extension
    crop out the top-left 500x320 pixels and store them in "filename-cropped.png"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I hope y'all don't mind if this isn't exactly LP related, but you're the most likely group I can think of to assist with a video recording problem. I've noticed that my video has some audio popping/crackling in it. Here's an example video:

https://i.imgur.com/dQ9yr0V.mp4

(right click, show controls, to get to the volume controls)

My actual sound output on my computer is fine, but I've noticed the popping in my videos and I had someone complain on Twitch, too. OBS is just recording a window capture and the desktop audio, so this shouldn't be a matter of a badly-set-up microphone, I would think. The audio level on the desktop audio recording is set to -40dB; you can tell that the non-popped audio in that video is pretty quiet.

What's going on, and how do I fix it? Thank you!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I hope y'all don't mind if this isn't exactly LP related, but you're the most likely group I can think of to assist with a video recording problem. I've noticed that my video has some audio popping/crackling in it...

Checking back in on this -- it was fixed by going to Settings > Audio and disabling the "Mic/Auxiliary Audio" option. I don't know what that was trying to read from but it was clearly bogus. Oddly enough I can still use my mic as an input audio source just fine. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pharnakes posted:

Anyone know somewhere that would allow a giant (28mb) image?

Google Drive, Dropbox, etc? I don't think you can embed, but you can share files with others that way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Y'all know way more about codecs than I do. I made a thing for my game that sweeps multicolored lasers across the sky. It looks like this:

https://i.imgur.com/J1heW3z.mp4

But if you put a bunch of them on a ship and have the ship moving around, then it's super codec poison, especially on Twitter, since they allocate so few bits to embedded videos:

https://twitter.com/byobattleship/status/1360640286095941633

I'm curious -- how would you change the effect to make it be less harmful to streamer video quality? I assume it's something to do with having bright, sharply-defined colors that are sweeping across the screen, changing different pixels on each frame. Would it help if I blinked the lasers on/off over time? Made the lasers thinner?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

lohli posted:

Can you post the video you actually uploaded to twitter?
Sorry for the lack of clarity. The first video was meant to demonstrate the intended look of the weapon effect, since imgur mp4s retain a reasonable degree of quality. The second video showed how with a complex shot, Twitter can turn that effect into a murky mess. I didn't actually post the first video to Twitter, to avoid spamming my followers. I guess I could make a throwaway account for experimenting with Twitter's compression system.

quote:

The problem is simply bitrate, it is also all of the things you've mentioned, there is just too much within the frame changing by too much for it not to turn into a blocky mess at the given bitrate. Comparing the first video to the one you published to twitter there is very little of the frame in the latter that remains relatively static, and something as simple as not having the camera moving around as quickly could net you a much better result just because the content within the frame is less dynamic, the less that actually changes within the frame the higher the visual quality will be maintained for a given bitrate.

Another thing is optimising for the platform, if you know that quality is going to suffer because of the platform reencoding your content and aggressively locking in a low bitrate , then 60 frames per second might not be something you can afford.
Personally I'd recommend rendering the video out again at 30fps and seeing what twitter does to it, and probably also giving twitter the same video rendered at a higher bitrate to see what, if anything, it changes so that you have an idea of how you're going to be impacted in future and what you can actually do about it.

As is, it may well be perfectly fine for streamers, twitch's bitrate guidelines for 720p60 are double what your resulting twitter video was using.

Thank you for these suggestions! Cutting the framerate down makes a lot of sense. I took a look at one of the raw videos on my hard drive, and it had a bitrate of 6500kb/s, 1920x1080@60FPS. Twitter recommends 30 or 60FPS, at least 5000kb/s, but a resolution of 1280x720. Not sure why I failed to find that page previously, since I've definitely searched around for Twitter video quality help in the past.

Here's a short clip where I used ffmpeg to resize to 1280x720@30FPS. It's considerably less muddy, though there's still some noticeable artifacting that I think is probably just the nature of the beast with this kind of material:

https://twitter.com/byobattleship/status/1361011486420688897

So I'll just have to remember to do that, going forward.

Thank you!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've heard that Twitch has been really bad about follower notifications and everything else related to letting people know that streamers they're interested in are on the air. I generally rely on Discord/Twitter announcements instead, personally.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
More frequent keyframes, I think?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think if you wanted it to really look substantially nicer than the source video, you'd have to look into AI-driven upscaling/sharpening tools. And not everyone likes how those look, so basically you can't win! :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Artix posted:

Best as we can tell, this affects any versions after 2.4 so if you haven't updated, don't, and look for either an alternative or a fork.

Do you have more info on what "after 2.4" means? I have 2.4.2, is that affected or do you mean 2.5+?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You could set up a google form which allows people to submit name suggestions, and ask them to submit their own name alongside. Then when you pull from the suggestions, you disqualify the person's other suggestions until everyone has gotten at least 1 name in.

There's probably a cleaner way to implement that as well, but the form does make it easier for you to keep track of suggestions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I use and can recommend Davinci Resolve. It has a learning curve, like all creative software, but it's not too hard to learn the basics.

EDIT: here's my Davinci Resolve tutorial:

My workflow for Davinci Resolve is basically:
  • Record footage with OBS
  • Use ffmpeg to convert OBS's .mkv files to .mp4 files (ffmpeg -i video.mkv -c copy video.mp4)
  • Create a new Resolve project, switch to Edit mode (button at the bottom-center of the window)
  • Drag the .mp4 files into the media pool. Resolve will probably pop up a warning that the clips don't match the framerate/resolution settings of your project. Change the project to match the clips.
  • There's two video players in Edit mode. The one on the left is your source clip from the media pool; the one on the right shows the final output. Double-click a clip in the media pool to show it in the left side. Scrub through it with the player until you find the start point you want to use, then hit i (for "in"). Keep playing until you find where you want the clip to cut off, and hit o (for "out"). Then click on the video itself and drag it into the timeline.
  • Each clip in the timeline has a set of small handles at the top-left and top-right corners. You can drag these away from the sides to fade the clips. Note that if you want to fade the audio, you have to do so separately. If you want to change the length of the clip, you can click and drag on the left or right edges to shorten or extend it.
  • You can right-click on a clip to bring up more commands. The main one I use is "Retime Curve" (and then click on where it says "Retime Frame" and change it to "Retime Speed"). This opens a little widget that lets you change the playback speed of a clip with fine precision, which I use to speed up clips so I can fit more of them into the trailer.
  • In the very top-right of the window is an "Inspector" button, which is where you access stuff like volume controls or the position of overlaid graphics.
  • When you're done, click on the "Deliver" button at the bottom to choose how you want to render.
  • Remember to save often, Resolve isn't the most stable software. I've only had it crash once or twice, but that's still more than I'd like.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 30, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I haven't noticed any quality drop issues. My understanding is that when you use -c copy in ffmpeg to convert mkv to mp4, it keeps the data identical, it just changes the kind of container it's in. It certainly can't be doing much work, as it's basically instantaneous even for large files.

Knowing some ffmpeg is handy in general. Like, here's a command for making your videos more Twitter-friendly:

ffmpeg.exe -i source.mkv -vf scale=-1:720,fps=30 out.mp4

This rescales it to be 720px tall, and cuts the FPS to 30. Note that that scaling mode has to neatly divide into the source resolution, you can't just plug in any number you like. Downscaling more can make a big difference in filesize, which is handy if you need to e.g. upload long videos to Discord (which has an 8MB limit).

You can also add -an to strip out audio.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Davinci Resolve is a good program that I use a bunch for general video editing. That sounds a bit more heavyweight than what you were asking for though. I mean, it can absolutely chop up a big block of recorded video into clips for you, and a lot more besides.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's a bit of a last resort, but you can always just put your updates on the test poster and then link to them in the thread, instead of embedding them directly into the thread.

...that probably won't solve any mp4 embedding issues that lparchive has though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
PNG is good at simple shapes, sharp edges, and limited color palettes. JPG is good at complexity, but it basically "blurs" the image in a particular way (adding ripples near sharp edges) that looks terrible if you apply it to the kind of image that PNG is good at.

Or to put it another way, use PNG for pixel art, iconography, and stylized drawings (e.g. comics). Use JPG for photographs, detailed paintings, and most 3D renders. This isn't a perfect rule of thumb, but it should be like 90% accurate.