Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yep. My inside source at YouTube tells me that their encoding pipeline changed in April. It used to be that they needed the legacy SD pipeline for ContentID matches, but the ContentID algorithm has gotten a lot better, and they have since removed it. The "upscale to 720p" step shouldn't be necessary -- it all goes through the HD pipeline now.

That's great news. Thanks for posting that bit of info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Hi thread, I've got a little bit of a weird question for you.

This is a screenshot of Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller. All that black space was a little odd, so I cropped just the character out.

Notice that the resolution is 320x200. I thought it was a coincidence that it matches the CGA resolution, but then I found this comment on the internet:

quote:

Holy — um, heck, guy, you nailed this review. I worked on that game (Gideon Eshanti was my character design but I can proudly say I had NOTHING to do with the lighting or cutscene animations) and it was a massive clusterf**k from the ground up. Nothing like the company prez deciding that they were going to quadruple the resolution (think 1993 rendering times!) and keep the original release date. Or the art lead having a prima donna fit, walking out on Dennis Hopper during a recording session! (At least they cut the original 14 hours of dialogue down to 9 hours….) Anyway, thank you for giving this game the review it truly deserves. I do hope you see this message!

That made me think that the character shot might actually be stuck in the wrong aspect ratio, like it was meant to be stretched by a crt monitor to 4:3. So I resized it.

And I thought it looked more correct than the first one. Am I wrong, here? Is it possible that the image was meant to be in 4:3, but the developers were just strapped for time and didn't fix it?

This is what normal gameplay looks like, by the way:

gatz fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 9, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Cheez posted:

Yeah. Questions. Questions I never asked. You generally need to learn how to read, I think.

My god you are a terrible poster. You deserve one of those giant red avatar titles let's everyone know that you a) act incredibly dickish b) have some sort of persecution complex c) blame others for your own failings. If this is how you act on an Internet forum you must be insufferable in real life. Please seek help.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
1024x768 is not common, but acceptable today. Note that the LP archive's max size is 900 pixels wide for some reason. If you submit your LP to be archived and the screenshots are bigger than that, Baldurk (or you, not sure who) will have to resize them.

VVVV
You heard the man

gatz fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 24, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Changing the sample rate will not do anything to stop your mic from picking up breathing. Try a noise gate.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Any recommendations for encoding fraps videos, keeping the quality while minimizng the file-size? This is for a SSLP, by the way. Normally this isn't an issue, but I have three videos that are each around an hour long, and the size is becoming an issue. If anyone's thinking of suggesting Lagrith, I already tried that and it actually increased the size.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Thanks Meat. Any progress on that revised animated gif tutorial? I am interested in watching it.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

quote:

Minus
Pros:
Supports most file types
15 MB file size upload limit.
Unlimited downloads.
Free accounts, starts at 10 GB space, can be upgraded to 50 GB.
Has a set of applications for several different platforms to facilitate uploads.

Cons:
Apparently requires you to log in using Facebook/Twitter and allow it to post messages to your feed, or download a mobile app and use that?
Guest uploads expire in 30 days?
Hot linked images may be throttled?

That's what it says for me.

I've had a minus account for over a year, and I've never received any followers or been asked to use any social networking stuff. :shrug:

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Nidoking posted:

Perfect quality and small file size pretty much automatically means the built-in ZMBV codec. I didn't think anyone recorded from DOSBox using external tools.

The only reason I've found to do this is if you're using MT32 emulation (or just general MIDI), since the build-in dosbox recorder doesn't record the system sound.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
For sprites, just crop them out using an image editor.

This:

becomes this:

I added a little black border (that I was going to anti-alias later) but you get the idea. Portraits is the same deal but less work. Crop out whatever you want to be the portrait in the image editor.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I have a large number of .RAW audio files (unsigned 8-bit PCM with no-endianness, 41000 Hz) which I want to convert to .WAV files, but also slow them down by %50. Audacity can't batch process raw files. Is there something that can help me? Something called SoX can supposedly do what I need, but I can't make it work correctly.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

ChaosArgate posted:

Can Foobar2000 recognize .RAW files? If it can, you can most likely use its batch conversion tool on your stuff.

I can't find a way for it to recognize them, which is weird because Foobar can do a lot of things that other free audio processors can't.

dis astranagant posted:

MeGUI might let you encode them to flac, which is lossless and should convert to wav fine. It handled the raw PCM MSI Afterburner spits out fine.

What would a avisynth script look like for this?

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
That didn't work for some reason. I'm not a programmer so I can't tell you why it's putting .raw after the first .raw and .wav.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
This worked for one file

code:
sox -r 44100 -e unsigned -b 8 -c 1 "%~f1" "%~f1.wav"
pause
The problem is that it only converts one file no matter how many I drag onto it at once.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
^ That did the trick. 930 files converted. Now I can batch process them in audacity and slow them down. Thanks!

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Slow them down and change the pitch. Some old dos games have this weird thing where the audio files are sped up by 50%, but played back normally while in-game. I'm guessing in order to save space.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Just tried it, did exactly as you said. Are they actually 44100hz as audacity detects, or are they 22050hz? It might depend on the game, but I'm not sure.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

slowbeef posted:

edit: Thinking about it, I guess AVISynth is trying to play every frame including interlaced ones, whereas WMP is maybe applying a filter automagically? Should I run it through a deinterlacing filter in AVISynth first?

Do you have the box "preserve source format" checked in the elgato software's capture settings? You can just uncheck that box, set the profile to "standard", and you'll get a deinterlaced, 640x480 video.

gatz fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 19, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

slowbeef posted:

Does that mean I have to re-record the source?

Also I don't understand why it looks fine in WMP then.

I'm not sure about WMP, but if you do what I said, you won't have to worry about de-interlacing your future footage. You could then re-record the source, or you could de-interlace it with avisynth or virtualdub or what-have-you.

I'm not well versed on the technical aspects of video footage, so if others say it's not a normal interlacing issue, do what they say to fix the footage.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

slowbeef posted:

I can't record since I'm at work; I can try later.

This looked interesting from FFmpegSource2's docs:

"Interlaced H.264 is decoded in an odd way; each field gets its own full-height frame and the fieldrate is reported as the framerate, and furthermore one of the fields (odd or even) may "jump around". To get the correct behavior, you can try setting fpsnum and fpsden so that the framerate is halved (may or may not work). This issue is caused by libavcodec."

Halving the framerate didn't seem to work for me, though.

Do you have virtualdub? Try loading the source mp4 into it (using the FFinputdriver plugin), then save it as an avi, encoding it with lagarith (keep the source audio untouched), then use that avi with avisynth. If you need to, use a frameserver or whatever to save space on your harddrive and load the .avi right into avisynth w/o taking up space on your computer.

This is a suggestion just based on my own experience that avisynth doesn't handle .mp4 files very well. I had audio desync issues with avisynth and mp4 files that were solved with the method I wrote above.

gatz fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 19, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

slowbeef posted:

Projected filesize 666 GB? Yikes. Uh, I guess I have to look into this frameserver business!

Typically that goes down as virtualdub encodes the file (I know, it's dumb that it starts out so high). Same thing with the projected processing time. Maybe try it with a small portion of video first - trim it in the elgato software.

E: or it increases and I'm not remembering right. It's been a while

gatz fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 20, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
The unusually high video size (if it persists as virtualdub chugs along) might be caused because you preserved the source format instead of using the standard profile (640x480, 29.970 fps, progressive). The framerate is usually what bumps up the size so much, I'm guessing your source video is 720x480, 60 fps, interlaced.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
So about virtualdub... I've edited the wiki about it before, but I feel like I should add some more info on how I use it as a swiss army knife, specifically:

Screenshots LPs:
I've heard that this can be done with AvsPmod, but also with Virtualdub it's easy to isolate individual frames you want to use as images in a screenshot LP, then use file > export > image sequence, and export the images as PNGs. Virtualdub can also export them as BMPs, TARGAs(?), and JPEGs (forced chroma subsampling sucks out the color, depending on the footage), but PNGs are the best to load into another progam to batch edit to JPGs using custom compression settings. I've used Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 which I bought back in 2007 and have used as my main image editor for anything more than cropping since. It's an upgrade over
Irfanview, in my view.

Image Editing:
VirtualDub's Cropping function (available on any filter, most commonly used with null transform) is great because it's really goddamn percise, down to the pixel, and easy to get exactly what you want. You can also add borders (whatever color you want) to images (and video) with the stock resize filter (you don't have to resize anything, just check "Letterbox/crop to size:" in the Framing Options and type in any dimensions you want. I'm pretty sure you can only load images into virtualdub with the FFInputDriver plugin installed.

I suspect that AvsPMod can do everything I just wrote and more, but those are really the two main functions I have for virtualdub these days, other than a standalone encoder. Is this information worth adding to the wiki?

gatz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 25, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

dis astranagant posted:

What's the best way to edit out a constant background noise? I have a fan in the room that I'd rather not turn off while recording commentary.

Without professional software your voice is going to be noticeably impacted by noise removal. Just turn the fan off.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

dis astranagant posted:

Is there some way to get Audacity to only record when audio is above a certain level, like in Mumble? The "sound activated recording" option completely ignores dead air, sticking new recording right after old, regardless of time passing between them.

Kind of. This can only be done in post. I'm not sure if you can activate an internal noise gate while recording.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Was this necessary? We all had to start somewhere when it comes to this stuff.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Flagrama posted:

Does the game use a different resolution for loading screens? FRAPS can't really handle resolution changes IIRC.

It can, but with every resolution change, fraps begins recording a new video file.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I just want to remind everybody that OBS is a great video recorder. Some of the old Adventure Game Studio games aren't detected by FRAPS, but OBS recorded the window without a problem.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Does Irfanview now let you disable chroma subsampling when batch converting to JPG? I remember ditching the program because it couldn't do that.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
My experience with the program has been the same deal. I've heard that it works well on linux, but don't take my word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Did Meat ever finish that new animated GIF tutorial?