Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Just from a pure feature standpoint, FRAPs is the bare minimum for a functional screen capture program. The lack of a separate mic audio stream actually makes it inferior other software like Bandicam/Action/DxTory imo. For a VLP, a separate mic audio stream is just good practice in general. Your capture program recording two synchronized audio streams just makes your workflow easier.

Really, the only feature that FRAPs has going for it compared to DxTory is easy-of-use. But I don't really find DxTory too much of a bother to begin with.

Stuff that DxTory does that I enjoy:
  • Custom video codecs. Not absolutely needed but I can handle lossless so I might as well do lossless. Not like YT is the only way to get to the videos.
  • Multiple additional audio streams. Love it when doing a collab since I can set an additional third audio stream to record VOIP. Yeah, ideally, I want others to record their audio but sometimes things go wrong.
  • Recording at a different FPS than what I'm playing at. Pretty sure when I used FRAPs, it was capped at 30 FPS. I don't really like gaming at 30 FPS.
  • Individual game recording profiles. I setup separate folders for my major LP's. Not essential but it is pretty nice.

Pretty sure DxTory has a bunch of other features as well that I don't use like recording at a different resolution than what you are playing at. I don't see the benefit of that option personally. Only thing I wish it had was screen area capture. Until it does, I'll have to use Bandicam as my backup for games like Binding of Isaac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Don't record 1080p. For a game of decent visual complexity, 1080p will probably burn through memory faster than that.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is there an app for Virtual Audio Cable that allows me to have profiles set up and multiple repeaters in one window, rather than having to individually set up four or five VAC repeaters each time? I feel like that would make VAC a lot more bearable for me.

With Windows 7, you don't need to set repeaters. You can set any recording device/line to sent its audio to another output.

I find it simpler anyway.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Eh, with VCR's, I remember it was a VCR passthrough where you connect your antennae/cable coax/Laser Disc Player (?) to the VCR so you could record while passing it to the TV.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

ChaosArgate posted:

As an aside, does anyone know what Youtube's 1080p bitrate is?

According to Wikipedia, 4 mbps for non-DASH and even lower for DASH. I know when I used to download from Youtube, it was around 4.5 to 5 mbps.

Either way, it is too low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube#endnote_media_type_table_note_2

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Well, according to Youtube, you should also be uploading at 8,000 kbps for 1080p. Which kind of makes sense since giving them better quality footage to screw up could mean less problems in the final video.

But ultimately, up to you, I guess.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Personally, if you are going to go for paid software, I'd avoid FRAPS.

It is very feature-light and the codec isn't even lossless... just really large. I've had lossless codecs give similar sizes or smaller than FRAPS.

In terms of general compatibility and features, you might to try out Bandicam. They have a trial on their site.

Does DirectX/OpenGL window capture as well as screen area capture while works on games like Binding of Isaac.

Supports the use of installed codecs like UT or Lagarith and supports separate mic stream recording.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Yeah, I'm getting the same problem.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Mico posted:

Anybody else not able to update MeGUI?

So I just tried again and it did update...

But it deleted all my encoder profiles for some reason.

Just a head's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
So if people want to have a guest commentator for a single player game that doesn't have coop, then I assume they need some form of screen share.

Anything is recommended?